Move 1: Volt Switch
Move 2: Hydro Pump
Move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
Move 4: Thunderbolt / Signal Beam
Item: Expert Belt
Nature: Modest
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:

- Easily able to bluff because almost all Rotom-w in BW OU generally have Choice Scarf.

- Can either KO or 2HKO most of its common counters with the exepction of Blissey.

- Not a very expected threat.

- No set similar to this on site.

Additional Comments:

- Gastrodon and Celebi are taken out by this set. Latios isn't KO'd by this set, neither is Hydreigon, but take a respectable amount of damage in process.

- Unfortunately, the only flat out KO you're going to get is Celebi and Signal Beam, unless Gastrodon is physically defensive.

- You do more damage to Jellicent, Politoed, Heatran, Tyranitar, and among others with the appropriate move.

- Unlike the Choice Specs set who can assure a decent amount of KOs, you can switch moves in this set and therefore eases pressure you'll receive.

- Hidden Power [Fire] can be used over its Grass variant for Ferrothorn and a quick KO on Scizor.

- EVs let you hit as hard as possible while outrunning Pokemon who has 244 to beat max speed Tyranitar while retaining bulk.

- Hidden Power Ice can be used for Dragonite who would otherwise not take much, but Volt Switching to a counter might be better.

- Because of lack of leftovers, Wish support is greatly appreciated.

- Pain Split is an option as well for same reason, but don't go around using early-game; it'll give away your surprise.

- Max speed is useful for Celebis who can potentially outspeed you.

- A spread of 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe is also viable; it lets you outspeed Positive Base 70s such as Politoed and Breloom and most likely OHKOing them. Be sure to use 224 SpA when using HP Fire, though.

Teammates & Counters:

- Pokemon who appreciate the aforementioned threats weakened or KO'd.

- Politoed brings rain and appreciates Celebi and Gastrodon removed so it can use Hydro Pump without much issue while a weakened Latios / Hydreigon is taken out by it.

- Starmie is in the same vain as Politoed except Starmie could take out an injured Latios anytime with Ice Beam or its water STAB.

- Also useful in Sand teams where Hidden Power Fire Celebi can be a huge threat.

- Latios and Hydreigon can still survive Signal Beam and retaliate.

- Blissey and Chansey are still threats.

- Grass types such as Ferrothorn is a huge issue.

- If you choose not to use Hidden Power Fire, Magnezone is a fantastic partner to this set as it'll trap Ferrothorns who is eager to wall Rotom-w

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Iirc, the EVs are considered speed-creep since they're attempting to outspeed pokemon that attempt to outspeed Tyranitar; what's stopping those pokemon from adding another 8 EVs to outspeed Rotom-W in the future? Imo the spread should be 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe Modest , so that it aims directly to outspeed max speed Tyranitar (like the defensive set) and thus does not cause unnecessary speed creep.

Iirc, the EVs are considered speed-creep since they're attempting to outspeed pokemon that attempt to outspeed Tyranitar; what's stopping those pokemon from adding another 8 EVs to outspeed Rotom-W in the future? Imo the spread should be 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe Modest , so that it aims directly to outspeed max speed Tyranitar (like the defensive set) and thus does not cause unnecessary speed creep.
Oh, I'll change it now.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can vouch for this set, having faced it numerous times. It at least deserves an OO mention, as it has massive surprise value.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I don`t think this deserves its own set Expert Belt can be mentioned in the AC of this set since they are very similar and your set completly relies on its surprise value to lure in counters/checks.

or it should be mentioned in OO that rotom can use Expert Belt to function as a lure for some of its counters like Celebi, Ferrothorn and Gastrodon.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, an OO mention is probably better. It also conserves the surprise of running Expert Belt (relative to posting a new set, anyways) and thus makes it more effective ;)

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can vouch for this set, surprise factor works very well and signal beam on rotom is the shit. Personally prefer HP Fire as the HP of choice

Gastrodon isn't that common in OU so the order of the moves should be Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass. Also, run Thunderbolt over Signal Beam in the last slot since it doesn't force you to switch out against threats such as Jellicent and Tentacruel who can take Volt Switch and recover off at no cost; Celebi can be 2HKO'd with either Hidden Power Fire or Hidden Power Ice regardless. Thunderbolt also lets this Rotom-W beat Sub + DD Gyarados 1 on 1.

Gastrodon isn't that common in OU so the order of the moves should be Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass. Also, run Thunderbolt over Signal Beam in the last slot since it doesn't force you to switch out against threats such as Jellicent and Tentacruel who can take Volt Switch and recover off at no cost; Celebi can be 2HKO'd with either Hidden Power Fire or Hidden Power Ice regardless. Thunderbolt also lets this Rotom-W beat Sub + DD Gyarados 1 on 1.
Hm, okay, thank you. I'll make the changes now.

I've definitely considered this set more than once and think it isn't exactly possible to do as much as you'd like with rotom w. Rotom W in general need the ability to heal in some form. The attacks that I think would be most effective would be Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Hp fire/ice, and signal beam. Unfortunately once again Rotom W craves some kind of recovery and would die much too soon. However if one were using a decent non weather team with great support then I could see how effective a set like this would be. Based on the team this Rotom is one would determine which moves are needed the most. Once realized picking 3 of the moves and painsplit would probably be the best option, which would add to Rotom-W's efficiency. Four Attacks with wish support on the team could still be viable.

This set is really great. I've been testing it and it's surprisingly good, especially on a rain team, where it lures and KOes common rain counters such as celebi, gastrodon, etc. I'd mention a spread with max speed, though, because it outspeeds most celebis/jirachis. Additionally, you should mention Magnezone as a good partner, because it can trap Ferrothorn and Rotom-W often lures Gastrodon and others.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LighTz911, since your set emphasizes the capability of killing Celebi, I'd remove Thunderbolt altogether. This set without Signal Beam becomes rather ordinary, imo.

Why not just slash expert belt and signal beam in ac of the non choice set w/ an increased mention of signal beam and e-belt? Echoing burning man

I think I'd almost always want the Scarf version, it can revenge kill/cripple walls for the cost of Trick taking up the slot you'd use for the insignificant Signal Beam.

This set is really great. I've been testing it and it's surprisingly good, especially on a rain team, where it lures and KOes common rain counters such as celebi, gastrodon, etc. I'd mention a spread with max speed, though, because it outspeeds most celebis/jirachis. Additionally, you should mention Magnezone as a good partner, because it can trap Ferrothorn and Rotom-W often lures Gastrodon and others.
Thank you! I all mention a max speed spread in Additional Comments and mention Magnezone as a partner.

LighTz911, since your set emphasizes the capability of killing Celebi, I'd remove Thunderbolt altogether. This set without Signal Beam becomes rather ordinary, imo.
Alright. I'll just move Thunderbolt to AC, then.

In your above analysis, you don't really mention why Hidden Power Grass could be used, also I do agree that this is more of a gimmicky set, but if used in the proper hands it does have some potential.

Both moves are obviously very much needed (Tbolt and Signal Beam), just make a slash in order of which one does better. Probably priortize Tbolt since Signal Beam has much less uses, (only nailing Celebi which isn't as common as the Pokemon Tbolt could outright ohko). Cool set.

@Regiguy, HP grass rotom-w is quite common so it isn't considered 'gimmicky', Gastrodon isn't very common but it still is seen around, not to mention Hp grass also nails random Pokemon like Swampert, Omastar and other Rotom.

In your above analysis, you don't really mention why Hidden Power Grass could be used, also I do agree that this is more of a gimmicky set, but if used in the proper hands it does have some potential.
Hidden Power Grass hits Gastrodon, one of the more popular Rotom-w counters.

Both moves are obviously very much needed (Tbolt and Signal Beam), just make a slash in order of which one does better. Probably priortize Tbolt since Signal Beam has much less uses, (only nailing Celebi which isn't as common as the Pokemon Tbolt could outright ohko). Cool set.

@Regiguy, HP grass rotom-w is quite common so it isn't considered 'gimmicky', Gastrodon isn't very common but it still is seen around, not to mention Hp grass also nails random Pokemon like Swampert, Omastar and other Rotom.
Hm, then I'll slash in Thunderbolt and remove it from AC. Also, thank you!

Bloo

Banned deucer.
There is literally no reason to have this on-site as an entirely different set. The only thing that prevents this from being almost entirely the same as the already existing Rotom-W sets are Signal Beam and Expert Belt (and I suppose the ability to bluff a choice set.) My point is, we don't need to have a write-up written for a set that is quite similar to Rotom-W's already existing sets, but with a slight twist. Instead of a new write-up, I think it'd be sufficient enough to have a mention of Rotom-W's ability to lure in Celebi / Gastrodon with Signal Beam / HP Grass respectively while using Expert Belt as a choice bluff.

I spoke with Iconic and he agrees with the above, so I'll be moving this to and L&O and I'll see to it that Expert Belt / Signal Beam and whatnot receive a mention in Other Options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)