Rotom-A Discussion

The NU Rotom formes may have missed out on great secondary STAB moves and suffer a weakness from Stealth Rock, but their great bulk, speed (especially for NU), and power make them threats to look out for. While Rotom-F suffers from it's secondary STAB being incredibly unreliable, Rotom-S's Air Slash is actually useful in a tier full of Bug types and Choice Scarf Sawk. Seriously I don't see enough people running Rotom-S.

[SET]
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Air Slash / Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Thunderbolt
- Trick

As always Rotom runs a fantastic scarf set, notably being able to outspeed even Timid Gorebyss after a single Shell Smash. The set is really self-explanatory, with a main STAB move, Volt Switch for scouting, and Hidden Power Grass for Quagsire. Trick is a fantastic tool to prevent pokemon like Lickilicky from stalling your entire team out.

Rotom @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Air Slash / Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Rotom can also run a decent SubSplit set utilizing its good natural bulk and speed. Rotom-F greatly suffers from the lack of hail but BoltBeam coverage is still great. I feel that this set is more of a niche option though as scarfed Rotom-S is just too valuable to pass up in the current metagame.

Discuss

Blizzard is really shaky for me. Just to much of a gamble and you risk giving a bunch of free turns, set ups, etc. I would go with Airslash but the stealth rocks weakness is Terrible still.
You think Rotom can have any hail support from articuno?
IMO hail is to shaky to set up and use in NU

Hail generally doesn't offer enough benefits to be worth setting up, it was only worth it when it was permanent. Rotom-F has to deal with the 70% accuracy or just run HP Ice. Also both Rotoms are weak to SR, not just Rotom-S.

But yeah Rotom-F is generally an inferior option, it's a huge gamble to rely on a 70% accurate move on a pokemon with a bad defensive typing and a weakness to SR.

Without Hail, Rotom-f's Blizzard is too inaccurate for me, but it can runs many coverage moves like Shadow ball/Signal Beam or you can go with a status move.
Also (for both rotoms) i've see Charge being pretty useful and tricky/unexpected, boosting SPA 1 stage and doubles the power of the next-turn electric attack, maybe a well built set can be threating.

Also Fan-rotom is pretty (fun ? lol) useful 'coz his second STAB doesn't sucks and deserve more use, especcially the Scarf set.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I would like Rotom Fan better if it wasn't weak to rocks. I mean in a offensive team is actually difficult to find a place for a spinner, considering how much they suck :/

Rotom-F is pretty solid. It's a really good scarfer, with access to Volt Switch and Trick. I've personally never tried the Para-Flinch set, but I've heard good things about it. Definitely a troll mon to the max :v

I don't ever find myself using Hidden Power Grass on the choice set simply because I don't like being locked into a weak non STAB move. Hidden Power Grass is highly redundant and using it just to hit quagsire isn't worth it imo. I'd rather see thunderbolt in that slot for an overall stronger move. Besides, a STAB neutral thunderbolt hits harder than a super effective hidden power

I don't carry any Grass types on my team so I find myself relying on HP Grass a lot, but I guess if you have Grass moves covered Thunderbolt would be better. HP Grass is also notable for hitting Golem for a OHKO if his sturdy is broken, but Golem is pretty rare so ehhh.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't see why people are complaining so much about Blizzard. People use Focus Blast on CM Virizion instead of HP Fighting even though the former has terrible accuracy. It's not ideal, but it's usable. This may be the one case where the use of Blizzard outside of Hail is justified.

Well first of all, I've never heard of anyone who DOESN'T complain about Focus Miss, but I digress...

CM Virizion is in a situation where, if it misses, its not the end of the world, it has awesome defensive typing (especially in Rain) as well as CM boosts to sponge Special attacks. Rotom-F, even with its rather high 50/107/107 defenses, has crap defensive typing, and a missed Blizzard usually means it will have to run away, or be flat-out KO'd.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really think that Rotom-Spin is a superior option between the two formes in every way. Whatever set you're considering, Rotom-S pulls it off better. Offensive sets are better because it doesn't have to rely on shitty accuracy (though I guess you could chance it if you really wanted...) and defensive sets have the benefit of a far superior defensive typing (lol Ice). Plus, Rotom-S can do those annoying paraflinch sets. I'm just not seeing what Rotom-F has over Rotom-S, especially with hail gone...

Rotom-F has excellent typing, come on guys. Obviously the main focus is offensive typing, thanks to STAB BoltBeam, but do not dismiss his defensive typing so quickly. He is one of the few Pokemon who resists Ice- and Electric-type moves, and don't forget that he has a lovely Ground- immunity. A resistance to Flying-type moves is just another bonus. Four resistances are few, but all four are very common offensive types.

And Blizzard is inaccurate, I'll grant you that. However, Gengar pulls off a very similar SubSplit set, while also relying on a 70% accurate move. SubSplit Rotom-F is one of my favorite offensive threats in the tier.

Okay say what you will about Rotom-F but I can see him being really potent with a Specs set. He's a perfect candidate for it- fantastic neutral coverage, good natural bulk that could make use of some HP EVs were they aren't needed in speed, access to Trick, good Base Power moves (if now accuracy) and some key resistances to switch in on (okay sorta, he has eq immunity and a shaky flying resist and can handle most bulky waters so close enough). Obviously, SR weakness isn't doing him any favors but I think he's certainly viable with the right team support. I think he'd work really well with Spikes since the things that are likely to switch into him (quagsire, camerupt, steel types) are all susceptible to spikes and because he has freakin' Volt switch. I mean c'mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)