Roman's Revenge

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Roman's Revenge

Introduction

Hello Smogon! So this is a rain team I've been working on for a while now. It's built around a Pokemon that currently resides in NU, Jynx. I had to playtest Jynx a lot for its OU analysis, and there was a Dark Horse project going on at the time, so I though I might as well build a RMT worthy team around Jynx. This isn't my most sucessful team ladder wise, but it is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable teams I've ever played with, as it utilizes some fairly unorthodox sets and underrated pokes (I built it at a good time, seeing as OU is incredibly stale right now). I guess I would categorize it as a semi-stall team? I ripped this wonderful format from Zebraiken's awesome NU RMT "Goodbye", but unfortunately I can't write good descriptions like Zeb ;_;. Now on to the team.

Closer Look

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 32 Spe
Bold nature,[+Def, -Atk]
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

This team is fairly reliant on rain, as you'll see later on so I opted for a more durable Politoed set. Toxic is great for pokes stuff that Toxic Spikes doesn't get to such as CM Latias. Scald burns are always useful, especially since Metagross and Tentacruel lack relibale recovery, so they're not always up to taking onslaughts from physical attackers. Perish Song gives me insurance against Baton Pass teams, as well as set-up sweepers, such as CM Reuniclus and Latias. Additionally, with Metagross' Pursuit, I can use Perish Song to put the opponent in some really tough situations. The 32 Speed EVs enable Politoed to outspeed Scizor, Tyranitar and opposing defensive Toeds to get status on them. Protect grants Politoed some much needed recovery for weather wars, and it lets Toed scout stuff such as opposing Rotom-W's Volt Switch nonsense, in addition to the ability Toxic / Perish Song stall.​

Latias @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature [+SpA, -Atk]
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Rain Dance / Protect
- Wish

Latias provides the team with a much needed switch-in to Rotom-W, Virizion and Breloom. I'm a big fan of RL's LO Tank, set as it can take hits and dish out strong ones, which really suits the team.,Wish gets the nod over Recover for now, as I find it really helpful for increasing the longevity of my team ,(none of them have reliable recovery). Rain dance is a really nifty move on Latias, providing a secondary source of rain, which is useful in weather wars as the opponent will be more prone to sac their weather inducer if they take out my Politoed. Rain Dance also helps with combating Tyranitar, negating its sand SpD boost while Latias does 58% - 69% with a rain boosted Surf vs 252/192+ variants (it OHKOs 252/0 variants with SR down). Although sometimes I use Protect so Latias can receive its Wishes safely, as well as scout CB Scizor's / Tyranitar's Pursuit. The EVs give Latias a Life Orb HP number. I bumped RL's original spread to 252 Speed because I really need to beat Virizion.​

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold nature,[+Def, -Atk]
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Tentacruel brings the utility along with a solid check to Scizor and Volcarona. Toxic Spikes make the team flow so much smoother, allowing the ability to Toxic stall with Politoed, Latias and Jynx. Rapid Spin obviously helps with Jynx and Hydreigon as it U-turns. This set can't beat Jellicent unlike the SubToxic set, but a Draco Meteor from one of my dragons + a Metagross Pursuit trap usually does the trick. Tentacurel's ability to absorb Toxic Spikes upon entry is valuble on this team as Politoed and Jynx are pretty much useless when poisoned. I opted for Ice Beam over Protect to hit Breloom and Virizion, which are perhaps the biggest threats to the team. The 44 Speed EVs allows Tentacruel to outspeed standard Gliscor. There's not much to say about Tentacruel, but before anyone gets into a Black Sludge vs Leftovers debate, Lefties is preferred here as I definitely don't want my Politoed, Jynx or Latias getting tricked poisoned. Besides, Politoed + Toxic Spikes is usually enough if I want to poison stuff, for instance, Rotom and Latios are the two most common Trick users, and they commonly switch into Politoed so I have no problem poisoning them.​

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 104 Atk / 172 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive nature,[+Spe, -Def]
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Outrage
- U-turn

The team's second dragon, Mixed Choice Scarf Hydreigon, functions as the team's revenge killer / scout. I needed a Scarfer that could lure in and beat down special walls, so Hydreigon was my best bet synergy wise. With this EV spread, Hydreigon's Outrage 2HKOes Blissey with SR down, and even if it decides to switch out after taking one, it won't have enough HP left to take on my Latias. Draco Meteor and U-turn are standard fare, although I have to play really conservative with Draco Meteor, as I usually don't have enough speed to beat a set-up sweeper if they sets up on -2 Hydreigon since Hydreigon is my only scafer (no priority). I use Focus Blast over a rain-boosted Surf solely for Ferrothorn, who walls a good chunk of my team if I can't burn it. Hydreigon finds a lot of opportunity to switch in on this as it shares perfect type synergy with Tentacruel.​

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant nature,[+Atk, -SpA]
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

The slot originally belonged to Scizor, but i really needed a Rock resist so Metagross was the best fit. Metagross is an excellent Pokemon in the current metagame with its bulk and set of resistenses. Metagross is my defensive pivot, pairing up really nicely with Latias defensively. I usually lead with Metagross for Stealth Rock, which really helps contain sun teams. Meteor Mash is used as one of Metagross' main roles is checking Terrakion and Tyranitar. I would have liked priority, but Metagross's Bullet Punch is just so damn weak. Pursuit is useful for eliminating Lati@s, Starmie, Reuniclus, and especially Ghost-types so Tentacruel is free to spin. The Ice Punch + Shuca Berry combo gives Hydreigon some help with Landorus, Mamoswine and Dragonite, while also bluffing the Choice item. Ice Punch is also useful for beating up Virizion and Breloom (non-Bulk Up variants anyways) as Latias struggles with CM Virizion.​

Jynx @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 136 HP / 184 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid nature [+Spe, -Atk]
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Substitute

Jynx is a very cool poke. Similar to what Chlorophyll sweepers do for sun teams, Jynx can shut down rain counters with a sleep inducing move. Lovely Kiss is a very useful tool; essentially disabling foes due to the new sleep mechanics make 75% accuracy not bad at all. Nasty Plot raises Jynx's Special Attack to scary levels, while sub gives Jynx vital protection against basically every physical attacker. Sub along with the 12.75% recovery from Dry Skin allow Jynx to effectively stall with Toxic Spikes down. This bitch also eats rain stall teams for breakfast as she can set up on standard components of them. Bulky Waters such as Politoed, Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Gastrodon, and Jellicent can't attempt to burn Jynx with Scald as Dry Skin grants her an immunity to Water-type attacks. Furthermore, bulky waters typically carry Ice Beam as secondary coverage, which Jynx resists. In addition, Jynx outspeeds all of the aforementioned Water-types and can use sub to block any attempted status. Blissey, one of the most prominent special walls in OU, can only 5HKO Jynx with Seismic Toss, which is more than enough time for Jynx to get to +6 and 2HKO Blissey with Ice Beam. The few rain stall Pokemon that Jynx can't handle, such as Jirachi, can be simply put to sleep with Lovely Kiss. The EVs gives Jynx max Dry Skin recovery with enough SpA left over to 2HKO Chansey with a +6 Ice Beam. The Speed EVs are for CB Haxorus and Dragonite.​

Export to Text
Code:
Politoed @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Jynx @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Substitute

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Rain Dance / Protect
- Recover

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 104 Atk / 172 SpA / 244 Spe
Naive nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Outrage
- U-turn

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
Past teammates

Rotom-W @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Substitute
- Pain Spit

Roserade @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm nature [+SpD, -Atk]
- Leaf Storm
- Toxic Spikes
- Aromatheropy
- Rest

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant nature [+Atk, -SpA]
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Latios @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Trick

Conclusion

So yeah, thanks for reading :). Feel free to take the team for a spin, but its pretty weird so it might take some getting used to. The team still has quite a few holes and I'm looking forward to improving it!

I reccommend you keep Rain Dance on Latias just in case Politoad gets KO'd since your team relies heavily on water-powered moves. This would especially be a problem agaisnt a Sunny Day team. By the way I get the Roman's Revenge thing, lol funny.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hey, you should use chestorest politoed.

Politoed (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 204 HP / 228 SAtk / 76 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Rest

this thing hits like a truck with hydro pump, and can also lure and heavily damage stuff like ferrothorn, rotom-w, and celebi. it is also very durable with rest. the opponent can wear it down and then get smashed when Politoed is back at 100%. also, with wish from latias you will very likely win the weather war. EVs let you outspeed 4 speed heatran + bulk up breloom. you can ice beam breloom as they spore you, and then ice beam again for the KO or hydro pump as they likely switch out.

cool team though, jynx looks very cool!

hey man, this team is actually really cool! Brilliant Latias set....

anyways, a few things! I think you should change your politoed set to what bad ass suggested, since it fits the offensive pace of this team pretty well. You also have a better time versus tyranitar. Though, imo you can try a different spread: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe. It gives you enough power, while you only have enough speed EVs to outpace adamant tyranitar. Secondly, Dragon-types give your team a real pain; DDNite and DDMence in particular can get through your dragon resist, metagross, with EQ. With that in mind, i think you could try and change your set on metagross to an offensive air balloon variant. The set i was thinking of is:

Metagross @ Air Balloon | Clear Body | Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Meteor Mash / Stealth Rock / Pursuit / Ice Punch

This should patch up your Dragon weakness a bit. Hope this helped!

Hey :) Only problem I can see with what is otherwise a very fun team is Volcarona with Chesto Rest. Can literally set up on 4 or 5 members of your team, and then nothing outspeeds it at +1 while it 1 and 2 hits everything you have. The only way you can really stop it is to bring in Politoed straight away and Perish Song but you'll lose your weather inducer and probably one more pokemon before it's forced to switch.

Stuff you can try...fixing this problem is difficult without screwing up your team's nice synergy. I was going to suggest bulky Dragonite > Latias but then I realised you'd get completely raped by Terrakion. Alternatively it might be worth trying Dragonite / Salamence over Hydreigon, you'll lose a bit of coverage against Electric attacks though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, good team though.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
More rates than I thought :o

GetResaca said:
I reccommend you keep Rain Dance on Latias just in case Politoad gets KO'd since your team relies heavily on water-powered moves. This would especially be a problem agaisnt a Sunny Day team. By the way I get the Roman's Revenge thing, lol funny
Thanks for the rate. Yep, Rain Dance makes Latias quite the menace vs. sun teams.

Bad Ass said:
hey, you should use chestorest politoed.

Politoed (M) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 204 HP / 228 SAtk / 76 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Rest

this thing hits like a truck with hydro pump, and can also lure and heavily damage stuff like ferrothorn, rotom-w, and celebi. it is also very durable with rest. the opponent can wear it down and then get smashed when Politoed is back at 100%. also, with wish from latias you will very likely win the weather war. EVs let you outspeed 4 speed heatran + bulk up breloom. you can ice beam breloom as they spore you, and then ice beam again for the KO or hydro pump as they likely switch out.

cool team though, jynx looks very cool!
Yeah my current Politoed set was better when SubSpit Rotom-W was on the team, but now that I have Latias (who also provides back up rain), I suppose I could go more offensive on Politoed. I'll test it out :)

NatGeo said:
hey man, this team is actually really cool! Brilliant Latias set....

anyways, a few things! I think you should change your politoed set to what bad ass suggested, since it fits the offensive pace of this team pretty well. You also have a better time versus tyranitar. Though, imo you can try a different spread: 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe. It gives you enough power, while you only have enough speed EVs to outpace adamant tyranitar. Secondly, Dragon-types give your team a real pain; DDNite and DDMence in particular can get through your dragon resist, metagross, with EQ. With that in mind, i think you could try and change your set on metagross to an offensive air balloon variant. The set i was thinking of is:

Metagross @ Air Balloon | Clear Body | Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Meteor Mash / Stealth Rock / Pursuit / Ice Punch

This should patch up your Dragon weakness a bit. Hope this helped!
Haha thanks for the rate NatGeo! I can usually handle dragons between Metagross and Hydreigon; for instance, if Salamence wants to KO Metagross outright (which it can't do with shuca berry intact and rain up) then I can revenge kill it with Hydreigon, but if mence wants 2 DDs to beat Hydreigon, Meta KOs it with Ice Punch. I'll certainly try Air Balloon though.

bubbly said:
Hey :) Only problem I can see with what is otherwise a very fun team is Volcarona with Chesto Rest. Can literally set up on 4 or 5 members of your team, and then nothing outspeeds it at +1 while it 1 and 2 hits everything you have. The only way you can really stop it is to bring in Politoed straight away and Perish Song but you'll lose your weather inducer and probably one more pokemon before it's forced to switch.

Stuff you can try...fixing this problem is difficult without screwing up your team's nice synergy. I was going to suggest bulky Dragonite > Latias but then I realised you'd get completely raped by Terrakion. Alternatively it might be worth trying Dragonite / Salamence over Hydreigon, you'll lose a bit of coverage against Electric attacks though.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, good team though.
Thanks for the rate! You're right, Volcarona can get pretty annoying. Tentacruel can usually handle it provided rain is up as it weakens Volc's Fire attacks, in addition to Tentacruel getting Rain Dish recovery + boosted Scalds. The team could use a secondary bug resist though. I'll try Mence and Dnite, but I think I'll miss Hydreigon's ability to lure and kill Blissey :o

Also, thanks for the luvdiscs everyone :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)