RMT - Specsmie and DDragonite Offense

I have never liked Salamence. I have always preferred Dragonite. With Salamence's recent move to the Ubers tier, Dragonite is back with a renewed vigor. I made this team for 3 reasons: to take Dragonite to his full boosted sweeping potential, to use Specsmie as a revenge killer, and to try out Machamp as a lead, noticing that he is one of the most popular leads at the moment, but mine is far from standard:

Machamp @ Lum Berry
No Guard
Adamant
252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPD
DyanmicPunch
Rest
Payback
Bulk Up

Machamp is awesome. Bulk up is unexpected on a lead Machamp. Dark/Fighting type combo hits a surprising majority of pokemon. Confusion is just icing on the cake. Rest is included to waste the Lum berry if he isn't slept or burnt. I can't stress how many times I've gotten 2 bulk ups and then rested to full and taken out 2-3 pokemon with this guy.

Lead List:

Azelf - Payback. If they're carrying a sash, I then switch to Gengar to absorb the explosion.
Machamp - DynamicPunch until KO or switch. Rest throws them off.
Aerodactyl - DynamicPunch until KO or switch. It hurts surprisingly much.
Metagross - DynamicPunch once for confusion. Use bulk up twice. Rest if needed. DynamicPunch to death.
Swampert - Bulk up until he switches. Rest as necessary.
Jirachi - DynamicPunch for confusion, then bulk up. They never carry a psychic type move so they can't hit Machamp for much after a bulk up. Rest if they paralyze with body slam.
Infernape - Switch to Gengar to take the Fake Out. Hypnosis in case he switches and because of sash. Substitute.
Roserade - Take the first sleep powder with the lum berry and use payback. Que up another payback. Switch to starmie as the first set of spikes drops.
Heatran - DynamicPunch.
Ninjask - Bulk up on turns 1-2. Anticipate when he's going to use baton pass and hit them with a payback when they switch in.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Natural Cure
Timid
252 SPA / 252 SPE / 4 SPD
Surf
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Choice Specs Starmie is the third listed moveset here on Smogon. People simply don't expect this thing to carry Psychic. The reason I use it on my team is because it outspeeds so many of the common threats in the OU environment. Gengar, Infernape, Tentacruel, Flygon, and Shaymin are all outsped and Starmie carries a move that can 2x each of them.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Inner Focus
252 ATK / 252 SPE / 4 SPD
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Superpower
Fire Punch

I consider Dragonite to be the centerpiece of this team. A dragon danced outrage OHKOS a surprising amount of pokemon. He outspeeds everything in OU besides Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Ninjask with just one dragon dance. It completely compensates for his subpar speed.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Levitate
Timid
252 SPA / 252 SPE / 4 SPD
Substitute
Hypnosis
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

I wasn't sure whether to use Focus Blast or Thunderbolt on this Gengar. Substitute Gengar has been working extremely well for me recently and I just use the standard set here on Smogon.

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Clear Body
Jolly
252 ATK / 252 SPE / 4 DEF
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
ThunderPunch
Explosion

Yet another set that I think should be listed higher. Metagross is a tool of destruction with the scarf. People don't expect it and often don't figure it out until it's too late. I carry ThunderPunch on him because I chose to go with Focus Blast on Gengar. As is the case with Dragonite, he outspeeds everything under Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Ninjask with the scarf. Sometimes when I see something I can't counter with Calm Mind or Swords Dance up on it, I throw him out and use Explosion given his resistance or neutrality to most priority moves.

Magnezone @ Salac Berry
Magnet Pull
Rash
252 SPE / 228 SPA / 28 HP
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Grass
Substitute
Explosion

Sometimes I throw him out against non-steels just so people will switch into their Swamperts while I score a free substitute and then I use HP Grass because I am evil. I was hesitant to carry two steels weak to ground on my team but both Gengar and Dragonite carry immunities so it works out alright. He's the standard steel killer set because I found that I have some trouble dealing with Bronzongs, SD Scizors, and some Metagrosses.

Threat List:
Azelf - If they carry Azelf it's usually the lead. Machamp deals with it pretty well using Payback and if they are sashed, then Gengar handles the explosion.
Breloom - Most of my pokemon outspeed this guy. Dragonite carries fire punch and is resistant to both of his STABs. He makes perfect setup fodder for Dragonite after someone else takes the spore. Starmie carries psychic and natural cure. Metagross can explode on him before he gets a sub or spore up. Machamp may still have his lum berry. Breloom does not deal with confusion very well.
Celebi - Celebi is countered by Gengar, who can safely switch in to a stall move or a grass move. Metagross OHKOs even the physically defensive variant with explosion.
Dugtrio - Only Mangezone is easily beaten by Dugtrio. Gengar can safely counter the sucker punch variants and outspeeds those with speed-neutral natures. Starmie outspeeds it, beating the non-sucker punch variants. If it is scarfed or banded, it will lose to an appropriate counter.
Electivire - This guy is dangerous. If he is speed boosted, Machamp and Metagross can take hits from him. Starmie's choice specs STAB surf does a surprising amount of damage to it and can safely switch in to an HP Ice. If he's not speed boosted, Metagross scares him off with Earthquake and Gengar can sleep him.
Empoleon - Every single pokemon on my team has a move that can deal super effective damage to this pokemon, most often in one hit.
Flygon - Choice Band variants are easily taken out by Starmie or slept by Gengar. Scarfed variants, if locked into Earthquake, are countered by Dragonite, or if locked into Outrage, are countered by Metagross.
Gengar - Starmie switches into focus blasts. Gengar outspeeds modest ones. Machamp's payback is a guaranteed OHKO. Dragonite beats those that don't carry HP Ice. Magnezone beats those that don't carry focus blast.
Gliscor - Starmie switches into EQ, outspeeds. Dragonite can easily set up on him.
Gyarados - Starmie can take out non-DD Gyarados. Metagross can hit him with scarfed ThunderPunch. Magnezone can hit him with Thunderbolt. Sometimes, Dragonite can set up on them.
Heatran - Machamp and Starmie are both great against him. I carry just one fire type move on my team and it's on Dragonite so he rarely activates flash fire. Metagross is scarfed and has earthquake.
Heracross - Starmie has psychic and can switch in to close combat. Dragonite can switch in to stone edge or close combat and hit him with a fire punch. Gengar can switch in to close combat. Metagross can switch in to stone edge.
Infernape - Starmie and Dragonite both resist both STABs. Gengar can switch in on close combats.
Jirachi - Metagross carries EQ. Dragonite carries fire punch. Magnezone is a steel killer. Metagross and Magnezone take iron heads well.
Kingdra - Dragonite's outrage destroys it. He can switch in to water attacks.
Lucario - Dragonite can set up on him and use Fire Punch.
Machamp - Starmie and Gengar both switch in to DynamicPunch.
Magnezone - Only Metagross is countered by Magnezone. Generally after he dies I throw out Machamp or Dragonite or if I predict an explosion, Gengar.
Mamoswine - Starmie destroys him. Dragonite can survive an ice shard and hit back with fire punch. Machamp can hit him with DynamicPunch.
Metagross - Most aren't scarfed. Most don't expect Dragonite's fire punch or a scarfed EQ.
Ninjask - My lead is a set up pokemon so this isn't too big of a threat.
Porygon-Z - Machamp beats him badly. Gengar can switch in to a tri-attack and carries focus blast.
Rhyperior - All of my pokemon can deal super effective damage. Starmie and Magnezone can score guaranteed OHKOs.
Roserade - Setup fodder for Dragonite. Starmie can OHKO.
Rotom - Beaten by Machamp's Payback and by Gengar's shadow ball.
Scizor - Dragonite carries fire punch. He doesn't handle confusion well from Machamp's DynamicPunch. He is countered by Magnezone.
Snorlax - Setup fodder for Dragonite who can also kill with Superpower. Machamp counters him. Gengar can switch in on Selfdestruct.
Starmie - Machamp has Payback. Few carry psychic and so Gengar can soft counter with shadow ball. Scarfed Metagross hits hard with thunderpunch.
Suicune - CroCune is setup fodder for Dragonite. If he has calm minds up, Metagross hits with ThunderPunch. If he doesn't, Starmie and Magnezone carry super effective moves.
Togekiss - Physically, Metagross can destroy it with ThunderPunch. Specially, it is very defensive but Starmie and Magnezone get solid 2HKOs.
Tyranitar - Machamp, Dragonite, and Metagross carry super effective physical moves. Dragonite can switch in on an EQ. Metagross can switch in on a Stone Edge. Machamp can switch in on a Crunch. Starmie's surf does surprisingly heavy damage to the pursuit variants with choice specs.
Weavile - Machamp counters him. Dragonite can survive an ice shard and hit back hard with fire punch, but dies to an ice punch. Magnezone and Metagross resist both of his STABs. Metagross can deal super effective damage.
Yanmega - Dragonite can set up on these and kill with Fire Punch. Starmie hits with ice beam and thunderbolt. Magnezone resists its STABs and hits the non-HP Grounds with thunderbolt. Choice Scarfed Thunderpunch from Metagross is always a surprise.
Zapdos - Zapdos is a real problem for my team. However, Dragonite can get off a dragon dance on it and easily OHKO with outrage. Metagross can explode on it. Starmie can, at best, 2HKO it.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Glass

The pokemon themselves are good, but the specific sets need revamping:

-Use the attacking lead machamp set. You can find it on site; with ice punch and bullet punch used over bulk up and rest. This allows you to beat sashers.

-LO starmie is generally better than specs starmie. I have used both in the past, but LOmie has almost no prediction involved and can recover or rapid spin. The power loss isn't a big deal at all.

-Earthquake over superpower. Superpower lowers your attack, making DD pointless. Use 204 Spe/252 Atk/52 Hp to beat flygon after two dances.

Also you lack stealth rocks, which are important for dnite. Possibly switching magnezone for heatran might help with this.

Machamp shouldn't have Bulk Up. Its a lead, and can easily get Taunted. Use a set with Dynamic Punch, Payback, Ice Punch and Bullet Punch. It provides much more coverage and Bullet Punch even helps against Focus Sash leads.

Try Earthquake over Superpower on Dragonite. More coverage, and you don't lose that Attack and Defense drop.

If Psychic is working for you on Starmie, thats great. If its not, try Trick. Trick ruins things like Blissey wanting to come in and absorb a Surf. He now has Choice Specs and is more or less useless.

Good luck!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One Dragon Dance and Dragonite sweeps your team.

For that, i suggest using Choice Scarf Starmie [can be used over Metagross], it can revenge +1 Dnite and Trick the Scarf to Blissey or Skarmory (thats if it would stay in) if needed.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

I also suggest agree with Eggbert on switching Metagross with Stealth Rock Heatran, that can help your Dragonite sweep whole teams.

Heatran @ Passho Berry / Shuca Berry
Timid / Naive
252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Taunt / Explosion

Naive if using Explosion, Timid if Taunt, Taunt is necessary for stall but you can use Explosion as a last move.

Also, your Dragonite sets needs a revamp.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Jolly
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Extremespeed

While it does leave you open to Skarmory and Bronzong, Extremespeed it's necessary to revenge-kill what Starmie/Magnezone can't. You might want to give away Earthquake for Fire Blast but it'll leave you open to other Pokemon like Heatran who can 2HKO/OHKO back with Dragon Pulse.

Also note that if you're gonna use Heatran, it'll open up a big ground weakness.

And can i ask what's Hypnosis doing good on your Gengar ? It literally can't touch Blissey, you might want to consider using SubSplit Gengar to fix that.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate the thought you've put into them.

Eggbert, I've followed your advice and switched out the Choice Specs on Starmie for a Life Orb. However, I am choosing to stick to 4 attacks because I really love carrying Psychic on Starmie. It grants him coverage on pokemon that he normally wouldn't be able to tackle, such as Machamp, Gengar, and Breloom, all of whom it is advantageous to outspeed.

I am testing out the idea of switching Superpower out for Earthquake on Dragonite to see if I like it or not. So far it's looking good. I'd follow the EV spread you recommended but I generally don't even get two DDs off. It's usually just one.

As far as changing my Machamp goes, I really like the set that I have on him. I think it's one of the things that makes this team unique. I will consider dropping Rest for Bullet Punch but I think that Bulk Up Machamp is key to why I win matches and stylistically suited to my play.

ShinyAzelf, I catch your drift with carrying Trick on Starmie, but my team has so many strong physical attackers that I can get by beating Blissey with a few switchouts and just by using Starmie as a revenge killer.

Honestly, I don't even worry too much about Machamp being Taunted, because if I'm fighting something with Taunt, they never expect the first Bulk Up and only taunt the second, at which point I just switch to DynamicPunch or Payback anyway.

Arikado, I'm not a huge fan of Choice Scarf Starmie simply because it lacks the power and type coverage that I have on this team. I have switched Gengar to a Scarf set with Trick and HP Ice to tackle the problem that you brought up in your post about Dragonite. I agree that it is a huge flaw in this team that I had not previously realized and thank you for pointing it out. This will also allow Gengar to counter Blissey with Trick.

I disagree with your recommendation for Dragonite, simply because I don't like to carry both Extremespeed and Dragon Dance. While it may come in handy in a few percent of battles, it will not be nearly as useful on the whole as Fire Punch. I do aknowledge a lack of priority moves on this team but I think that replacing Machamp's Rest with Bullet Punch would compensate for that. Also, the addition of Choice Scarf Gengar will bolster the overall speed department as well.

I am not a fan of Heatran. I dislike him and can't play him well. For that reason I've avoided using him in the past and now. I generally don't use legendaries in my teams other than Zapdos and Raikou, my favorites.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions and I would appreciate any more help sent my way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)