• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ok

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Quit the game you're trash your team is trash I hate you and everything you stand for.

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
So this is the first team I've built in years, and I can already tell I'm rusty lol. This team consists of two cores, one being defensive, one being offensive. toxapex and Celesteela defend, while Hoopa and Mawile attack. the other two are both stealth rock setters, with metagross setting and exploding, and Landorus setting then pivoting, typically to toxapex.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
Hoopa is my first attacker, whos very adept at cleaning up the physical walls that typically could stop anything I threw at it otherwise. It has a stab Psychic and Dark pulse to dish out some good damage, and HP fire and thunder for coverage. specifically, He's seen a lot of use of that thunder, as for some reason I've seen a bit of an upsurge in rain teams. I will say he has problems with Alakazam killing him before he can take them out.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze
The first half of my defensive core, this guy can seriously tank. he can typically take a few neutral hits before needing to recover, and can survive super effective hits for the most part. I originally had toxic spikes on him so he could also set up on them while they attempted to whittle away at him, but he ended up being setup fodder for a few too many pokemon, so I switched it out for Haze.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
My fast paced second half of my attack core. I've personally just always loved these swords dance +priority combo, and its a lot of fun to watch this guy set up on a switch to counter him then just sweep a team. On top of that, he covers my other sweeper's two weaknesses, which gave me an excuse to put him on here. he does bring my amount of steel types up a bit high, but I'd change out any other pokemon before Mawile.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion
My first setup. pretty simple build, and surprisingly bulky. the idea behind him is to set up a stealth rock, endure their hit, then explode and take out the opponents pokemon, preferably a sweeper they switch to after setting a stealth rock. He has Meteor Mash mostly so he can do STAB and not be a one trick pony. His bullet punch can also serve to clean up pokemon with low health, with a possible second going down as well depending on who they switch to.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
the second half of my defensive core, this Celesteela is a decent stall with type coverage. on top of that, it can set up a leech seed and switch to Toxapex to make it basically impossible for the opponents pokemon to kill Toxapex. the flamethrower really helps taking down the steel and grass types that like to mess with Toxapex, and if its taking a hit it can protect and heal a bit before it switches to Toxapex.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
My other set up pokemon. He's a nice lead, with a stealth rock and U turn to safely pivot into any of my other strategies. He also provides some type coverage with Stone edge and can stop a heatran that would otherwise put a big dent in my team right in its tracks. However, I've noticed that Heatran often can counter him with a hidden power, so if there was a better pokemon to cover that I'd be willing to lose the U turn pivot.

Right away, the biggest problem I see is this team is Magnezone fodder. You got 3 steel types and your best tank is a water type. Mega Mawhile can sort of fight it, but still. When one enemy pokemon can counter over half your team and your entire defensive core, you have issues. Lando-T can counter this, but anyone who makes a team in OU basically knows to account for Lando-T and they have 5 more mons to do it. In fact, anything with a strong electric stab can counter your defensive core. Both Celesteela and Toxapex should get wrecked by Tapu Koko. And then if that leads into Hawlucha, I'm not sure you could counter a Hawlucha sweep. Once Landerous is gone, it opens your team up for all sorts of potential abuse.

The biggest problem here is that half your team is steel. In addition to electric types, strong fire types like Victini, Volcarona, Heatran, or potentially even a Mega Charizard could do serious damage to you without your opponent punching much of a hole in your team. And opposing ground types have coverage against the poison typing of Toxapex and two of your three steel types.

The said, a Celesteela/Toxapex defensive core isn't inherently bad in the right team. You just can't treat it as a one size fits all type solution. If I were you, I would find something to replace one of your steel types. From what I can gather, Metagross is probably the least vital to your team concept. You could replace it with another stealth rocker. Although, I'm still not 100% sure why you bothered to have two stealth rock pokemon if one was a suicide lead. It's really throwing me off. On one hand, this is generally not necessary. On the other hand, there are certain things this counters that could be necessary for your particular team and I'm just not seeing it.

One other thing that stands out to me is the lack of speed control. Mega Mawhile helps some with Sucker Punch. You still have a really slow team. My first instinct is turn Landerous into a scarfer and give you something that helps with speed control over Metagross. I guess before I suggest a replacement, I should ask you what the goal of the team is? All I have been able to gather is that your defensive core is Celesteela/Toxapex and your offensive core is Hoopa/Mawhile. To be blunt, the other two seem just sort of thrown on there. How do they support and tie together your two cores?

Last edited:
Right away, the biggest problem I see is this team is Magnezone fodder. You got 3 steel types and your best tank is a water type. Mega Mawhile can sort of fight it, but still. When one enemy pokemon can counter over half your team and your entire defensive core, you have issues. Lando-T can counter this, but anyone who makes a team in OU basically knows to account for Lando-T and they have 5 more mons to do it. In fact, anything with a strong electric stab can counter your defensive core. Both Celesteela and Toxapex should get wrecked by Tapu Koko. And then if that leads into Hawlucha, I'm not sure you could counter a Hawlucha sweep. Once Landerous is gone, it opens your team up for all sorts of potential abuse.

The biggest problem here is that half your team is steel. In addition to electric types, strong fire types like Victini, Volcarona, Heatran, or potentially even a Mega Charizard could do serious damage to you without your opponent punching much of a hole in your team. And opposing ground types have coverage against the poison typing of Toxapex and two of your three steel types.

The said, a Celesteela/Toxapex defensive core isn't inherently bad in the right team. You just can't treat it as a one size fits all type solution. If I were you, I would find something to replace one of your steel types. From what I can gather, Metagross is probably the least vital to your team concept. You could replace it with another stealth rocker. Although, I'm still not 100% sure why you bothered to have two stealth rock pokemon if one was a suicide lead. It's really throwing me off. On one hand, this is generally not necessary. On the other hand, there are certain things this counters that could be necessary for your particular team and I'm just not seeing it.

One other thing that stands out to me is the lack of speed control. Mega Mawhile helps some with Sucker Punch. You still have a really slow team. My first instinct is turn Landerous into a scarfer and give you something that helps with speed control over Metagross. I guess before I suggest a replacement, I should ask you what the goal of the team is? All I have been able to gather is that your defensive core is Celesteela/Toxapex and your offensive core is Hoopa/Mawhile. To be blunt, the other two seem just sort of thrown on there. How do they support and tie together your two cores?
still reworking my team based on what you pointed out, and I have a question. Do you think I should dump the speed stats and run trick room on Hoopa?

- OTR hoopa doesn't seem like a good idea due to his bad defenses. Base 80 speed is fine for him to work with. I don't know what nature you're hoopa is running but it should be Timid.

- I would change Metagross to Ash Greninja, which provide spikes which Hoopa loves for late game cleaning, or U-turning due to the switches it forces to get Hoopa in safely.

- Sp.Def Heatran is also an option for your team, which gives you rocks so your now scarfed lando doesn't have to, handles Magnezone well with lava plume as well, and provides a much needed fairy resist for your hoopa and greninja.

- Finally I would replace Celesteela with Tangrowth. Tangrowth seems like a great fit for your team, making a Fire/Water/Grass core with Toxapex and Heatran, a regen core with Toxapex, and each covers for each other's weaknesses great. As for the set, the AV set looks fine for your team.

still reworking my team based on what you pointed out, and I have a question. Do you think I should dump the speed stats and run trick room on Hoopa?

Alright, I've reworked my team to have better type coverage and speed, based on your and someone else's suggestions. here's the new team

Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

- OTR hoopa doesn't seem like a good idea due to his bad defenses. Base 80 speed is fine for him to work with. I don't know what nature you're hoopa is running but it should be Timid.

- I would change Metagross to Ash Greninja, which provide spikes which Hoopa loves for late game cleaning, or U-turning due to the switches it forces to get Hoopa in safely.

- Sp.Def Heatran is also an option for your team, which gives you rocks so your now scarfed lando doesn't have to, handles Magnezone well with lava plume as well, and provides a much needed fairy resist for your hoopa and greninja.

- Finally I would replace Celesteela with Tangrowth. Tangrowth seems like a great fit for your team, making a Fire/Water/Grass core with Toxapex and Heatran, a regen core with Toxapex, and each covers for each other's weaknesses great. As for the set, the AV set looks fine for your team.
reworked, and I used a good amount of your suggestions, thanks!

Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Knock Off
I think you should use the standard Smogon set...
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

Honestly, I don't think the team is quite fine yet. Mainly because of your two choice specs users, whose stabs even overlap with each other, having stealth rocks on a scarfer, and the absolute onslaught that z-celebrate victini does against you. You also instantly lose vs psychium-z volcarona. Magma storm heatran devours a member every time it comes in, and no, gren doesn't count as a resist. Charizard x sets a dd up and wins. So yeah, you lose to fire types with coverage for toxapex. I would suggest switching lando out for a scarf garchomp.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

This thing can revenge any of the threats listed above, and is not outsped by them like lando
Now you need a new rocker though.
What I would suggest is Heatran over Hoopa.
This way you get access to a stellar stealth rocker, a very strong z-move, and a nice partner for toxapex and tangrowth.
Also, it is something that the common steel types cannot just sit on forever, helping to break through them.
This would be the set I suggest

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

You should have a defogger on this kind of balance team, but I don't want to change te team too much, and I already changed two mons entirely, so just cut U-turn from Ash-Gren and slap Spikes on it, and maybe ypur opponent will be force to defog for you.
Also yeah, as 737373elj said, assault vest tangrowth is the way to go here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)