recommend Altmer some cool music

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, it seems like others have been mostly suggesting popular jazz (if any jazz at all), so I thought you might enjoy some lesser known artists (as well as some known artists that have thus far gone unmentioned). A quick list of some of my favorites that have already been mentioned includes John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra (and individual members of the orchestra, such as John McLaughlin). Other great artists (and individual musicians) inculde Tower of Power, Stanton Moore (and his band, Galactic), Joshua Redman, Wes Montgomery, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham, Art Pepper, Brian Bromberg, Medeski Martin & Wood, John Scofield, Karizma, Vinnie Coliauta, Sean Jones, Brand X, Cameron Mizell, Dennis Chambers, Herbie Hancock, Liquid Soul, Dave Weckl, Christian Scott, and Christian McBride. Keep in mind that some of these may be funkier than others, and others may be more fusion than jazz. However, I would highly recommend any of these numerous artists or groups to any person looking to get into jazz and its various forms.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ok I am checking some shit off this list out (brand new and thursday are what I'm on right now) and it's pretty great.

Altmer

Try Three Days Grace, it has a bit screaming vocals but it is alright, and is awesome in a sense if you enjoy it.
Three Days Grace has no screaming, they aren't awesome, and I already know of them. Don't suggest anything mainstream because I am probably aware of it and already have an opinion on it.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DM that is a great song wow, adding that to my collection !

regarding post rock, I can recommend a couple of GREAT bands, courtesy of my and gigapunch

Do Make Say Think is pretty much my favorite band at the moment, their latest album "You, You're a History in Rust" is top 10 of 2007, which was a great year.

Grails is great, The Mercury Program, and the Samuel Jackson Five are good too.

asides from post-rock, I've been liking The Most Serene Republic, Menomena and Sea & Cake.

also recommended: the walkmen, apostle of hustle, gang of four, and stars

the pavements, har har har

i didn't read the thread yet, so hopefully i'm not retreading covered ground.

Folk
Vashti Bunyan: Lookaftering
Espers: II
Marissa Nadler: Songs III: Bird on the Water

Indie
Bat For Lashes: Fur & Gold
The Juliana Theory: Music From Another Room
Bright Eyes: Lifted...or The Story is in the Soil So Keep Your Ear to the Ground

Electronic
Emilie Simon: Vegetal
Clark: Turning Dragons
M83: Saturdays=Youth

Post-Rock
God is an Astronaut: Far From Refuge
This Will Destroy You: Young Mountain
65daysofstatic: The Fall of Math

Sludge/Doom
Ahab: Call of the Wretched Sea
Battle of Mice: A Day of Nights
Swallow the Sun: Hope

Metal
Virgin Black: get everything they've ever done, starting with their first full-length Sombre Romantic.
Wolves in the Throne Room: Two Hunters
Extol: Undeceived

hope that helps you out.

also, almost all of those can be found at my blog (link in sig), and after i post my top picks for the year, that'll cover all but a couple, which i can help you out with if need be. :nerd:

and while you're there, browse the genre tags! my buddy that runs the blog with me just posted his top twenty for 2008, so i'm sure there's a bunch of good indie stuff there that i haven't even checked out yet.

Altmer

I know Virgin Black (don't like), Wolves in the Throne Room are good and I also don't like Extol.

Christian metal turns me right the fuck off.

I know Virgin Black (don't like), Wolves in the Throne Room are good and I also don't like Extol.

Christian metal turns me right the fuck off.
what about Virgin Black turns you off?

i mean, the most religious things they say are

Jesus lies dying in my bed...frequently I rape Him as I know nothing else

and

A thousand tears, a thousand eyes
My friends and I, we cry
Religion has raped us

but for some metal bands who aren't Christians,

Rwake: Voices of Omen
Kongh: Counting Heartbeats
Blotted Science: Machinations of Dimentia

Extol is fucking awesome, sorry you do not like them :( (I was surprised it was not someone I got into Extol posting about them at smogon!); loled at the Three Days Grace recommendation

Pavlov's Dog = the 70s version of Mars Volta, check out the album Pampered Menial in particular (quite a simplification to say they are Mars Volta, in fact they are quite less talented, but they had one great album and one okay album (and four shit albums))

Both Anglagard albums if you have not heard them.

Sorry all I know is hard rock, progressive rock, and metal :x but I am getting into classical and recommend

George Szell's Beethoven (I am going to be uploading to the FTP soon if you have access to that), they are an amazing execution of his symphonies and then some minor works, but I am not going to bother tagging it till after my last exam

Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche, Op. 28 - nach alter Scheimenweise by Richard Strauss: this song is incredible in pretty much every way

Rachmaninoff's No. 2 - one of the big bosses of piano compositions, everyone and their parents try to show off with this

Petrouchka's - Russian Dance

I can upload any of these classical ones, but besides Beethoven do not have a particularly 'best' version

Extol is fucking awesome, sorry you do not like them :( (I was surprised it was not someone I got into Extol posting about them at smogon!); loled at the Three Days Grace recommendation
o/

although it's only their pre-Synergy stuff i like.

have you heard She Said Destroy?

i believe they have the old bass player from Extol.

not amazing stuff, but pretty good and worth a listen for sure.

EDIT: and Rachmaninoff is fucking awesome. my wife and i suggested it as a name for one of our friends future first-born son, and he's so fucking stoked about it. =P

also, my wife can play the Rach, and it's fucking hot as hell. :naughty:

I am pretty sure that no one likes post-Synergy Extol (I own Burial, Undeceived, and Synergy from back when I was Christian and was only allowed to listen to Christian music by my parents)

I have not heard She Said Destroy, but I would not listen to a band for just a common bass player lol

I am pretty sure that no one likes post-Synergy Extol (I own Burial, Undeceived, and Synergy from back when I was Christian and was only allowed to listen to Christian music by my parents)

I have not heard She Said Destroy, but I would not listen to a band for just a common bass player lol
i own physical copies of Burial, Undeceived, and Mesmerized, because they're fucking awesome.

i own a copy of Synergy, which i pre-ordered because i was so excited to hear it.

talk about a bait and switch. >=|

and i recently tracked down a digital copy of Paralysis (i fucking love what.cd), which made me so happy, because i lost it with a hard drive crash and couldn't find it anywhere for years. Your Beauty Divine is one of the best songs they ever recorded.

ok so listen to it because you might enjoy them...(?)

Sonic Youth is an alternative rock band I've enjoyed recently. I don't think they're that well known either.

I've mainly listened to their album "Daydream Nation" so far.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
What orchestra does the beethoven ck?

[edit] - apparently it is cleveland orchestra. I dont think I have ever heard them..

Have a nice day.

Altmer

Sonic Youth is an alternative rock band I've enjoyed recently. I don't think they're that well known either.

I've mainly listened to their album "Daydream Nation" so far.
Daydream Nation rules.

I have heard Virgin Black and it's rather gothicky shit... I dunno, I don't like their sound. I just never got into them.

I was planning on looking into that Blotted Science album.

CK thanks for the classical recs.

I have read reviews of that She Said Destroy album... sounds like garbage to me. But then again I don't like Extol.

Virgin Black's earlier stuff could be described that way i guess, but they mature their saound immensely between Sombre Romantic and Elegant...and Dying, and again for the Requiem trilogy. the one they released this year, Fortissimo, is very funeral doomish. by far the darkest and heaviest release of theirs to date.

and you were correct about needing more Jesu.

get Heart Ache and Sun Down/Sun Rise.

and you owe it to yourself to check out both The Angelic Process and Nadja.

they're doing similar styles to Jesu, only they're a shit-ton heavier and darker.

Weighing Souls With Sand for the former, and Touched for the latter.

It is a very famous execution of it Hipmonlee (from the '60s) because the orchestra was incredibly well timed and the pacing is pretty right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)