Rats

Recently, I did a persuasive research essay on "Why you should have a pet rat" (or teacher let us choose the most random of topics so long as the topic was anything cliche like abortion or gun control or whatnot), and I have to say the results were pretty surprising. I don't have all my research on me at the moment--I shall post it later--but it turns out they rats seem a lot better than we make them out to be, and I, being a fan of the rodent, am pleased at this finding. It actually makes me want to get a pet rat.

However, I do recognize the fact that they do destroy property and carry disease. Not only that, my father reminded me that, growing up poor, one wouldn't look favorably on rats running through one's house, which makes me wonder whether my view is biased by my comfortable upbringing.

So, what are your views on rats? Would you want was as a pet? Want them all exterminated? What?

Oh, and by the way, during my project, I happened across this video I found pretty cool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C0kxmfSGCaE

I actually think they're capable of being quite cute as pets. Then again, I've never been one of those girls that screams and jumps onto the lunch table when a mouse is spotted in the school cafeteria.

My sister is a giant mouse freak so I pretty much grew up being able to live with rodents and play with them. I actually find rats somewhat cute. Only the white rats though.

I have a chinchilla which is kind of similar I guess and it's the best pet I've ever had. Don't worry about the negative stereotypes - it's your pet after all. Just because some rats carry disease doesn't mean yours will.

Any kind of rodent rats or mice are horrible. Squirrels are cute but you cant really keep a pet squirrel.

I couldnt have a pet rat. If I want a rat i will move to NYC and have a few "pet" rats.

I really don't care one way or the other. No, I'm not afraid of them nor would I want them all destroyed, but at the same time I'm not interested in any pets at this point in my life.

If Guinea Pigs count, then I don't mind having rodents as pets. But unfortunately, they don't live very long, which is depressing, especially if you get attached to them. Me personally, I would rather have a cat, dog, or a ferret as a pet. Birds and fish are not interesting and thus bore me. >.>

Rats? I love rats. I have 7 darling ratties. They're such good pets, more people should have them D:

Harassing the weirdos that frequent DeviantArt is a favorite pastime for my friend and I, and over the years we've run into some of the strangest characters ever to roam the internet.

This included fanatical rat lovers that were especially sensitive towards any sort of written attacks against their beloved vermin. Out of all the provocative devices we employed against these people, the Kipling-esque "rat poems" were my favorite:

The rat hath made a gruesome landing,
Carcass drooping from the bough.
Its pungent odor notwithstanding,
Crows arrive in search of chow.

"Come," say I, "dear children mine,
and gorge yourselves, for on this day
a rodent did befriend a pine
with minor help of trebuchet!"

King Barnabas, atop his throne,
let loose a cry that chilled the bone.
The court predicted, by his tone,
their Lord had sensed a rat.

The monarch rose, his fingers curled
'round goblet stem; and all the world
did cower as the cup he hurled
across the Royal flat.

With grace and skill, the chalice fine
collided with the vermin's spine.
The crippled beast was then assigned
to entertain the cat.

etc. (there are about 15 total haha)

Rats do not carry disease. It's the same thing as saying that dogs carry ticks or rabies. Rats have a genetic predisposition for fast multiplying. Undomesticated rats, which are able to breed as much as they want, will quickly occupy anywhere that can accommodate their numbers safely and has a food source nearby.

They're perfectly acceptable as pets, but the widespread phobia/stigma associated with them gives people the wrong impression. They're just like a puppy except they don't grow bigger and they don't make as much noise.

Ferrets are so cute! I like racoons as well though. I like mice better than rats, not sure why. I like that you can carry them around with you.

Also, this topic seems like a good place to say this: Milliondaggers, your avatar is awesome!

The best thing about having something like a rat is that they are not nocyurnal like hamsters, so you can spend time with them. Also, they require a lot less maintainance than something like a dog, which you have to walk.

The best thing about having something like a rat is that they are not nocyurnal like hamsters, so you can spend time with them. Also, they require a lot less maintainance than something like a dog, which you have to walk.
Actually, from what I've researched, they are nocturnal and do require significant maintenance--you have to let them explore, play with them, etc if you want them to develop--although I don't actually have pet rats (neither of my parents will let me keep them at their respective houses), so I wouldn't absolutely know for sure.

im ok with them as long they're not rabid or anything like that.

i wouldnt have one as a pet atm because i have a cat for a pet and we dont want my cat murdering the poor thing. :P

Oops... I was wrong about the nocturnal bit. Rats are natrually nocturnal, but they adapt greatly to the owner's lifestyle if in captivity, meaning that they will wake and sleep when you do. Sorry for my blunder :(

I like how people are saying 'they're okay, as long as they're not rabid/diseased!' No crap. Unless you get all your animals--rats, cats, dogs, or otherwise--out in the street or woods, there's no reason to even be bringing up anything about disease.

You don't go to the pet store and see cages of animals that say 'disease free!' and then other cages that say 'Just rabies!' do you?

I have to wonder if people even know what rabies is.

Not to mention that there have been no recorded cases of rats ever having rabies. Which only makes sense considering that a rabid animal most probably would kill the rat.

And pet rats do not carry any diseases that people can get sick from. Unless you count flees or mites or something like that, which any other furred animal can get.

True, the diseases people generally 'get from rats' are actually due to the insects, not the rats themselves.

Any mammal can have rabies, but, yeah, it's a pretty dumb thing to bring up in a conversation concerning pets, since animals don't just suddenly GET rabies. A pet rat isn't going to wake up one day rabid.

cloud

groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i guess rats are one of those animals that don't really deliver affection back to the owner, kinda like fish. or rabbits.

i'm more of a dog/cat man in that sense : 3.

im noob xD

i guess rats are one of those animals that don't really deliver affection back to the owner, kinda like fish. or rabbits.

i'm more of a dog/cat man in that sense : 3.
If my research is correct, they actually give a lot of affection, at the cost of needing plenty of maintenance. Of course, this is another area in which I cannot say for sure since I do not own any of the rodents.

On a separate note, I wish my cats would give me affections instead of tearing up my apartment.

King Barnabas, atop his throne,
let loose a cry that chilled the bone.
The court predicted, by his tone,
their Lord had sensed a rat.

The monarch rose, his fingers curled
'round goblet stem; and all the world
did cower as the cup he hurled
across the Royal flat.

With grace and skill, the chalice fine
collided with the vermin's spine.
The crippled beast was then assigned
to entertain the cat.
Big Bayou, did you write that??? That's really quite a nice poem, not in terms of content matter, but it rhymes really nicely.

As for pet rodents, I used to have a lot of guinea pigs. Didn't know any better and got a male and a female and ended up with 23 of them (had to give them away in the end). Guinea pigs make this really fun chirping sound when they're hungry or excited, and they're really gentle.

I probably shouldn't mention this here, but we work with rats experimentally, and gosh do they SMELL! Do you just get used to that? I'd describe it as sort of a smelly cheese/dirty socks smell. :[

rats are lovely :)
well.. pet rats. not terribly keen on wild rats.

my friend has pink, green and blue rats.. poor rats.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
I wouldn't have a pet rat, but I don't think I would mind if one of my roommates decided to get one. *shrugs* I'm more of a dog person, and even that is pushing it at this point in my life. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)