Rain Offense: Pushing The Limits

hello smogon this is a team i've been using and i've done a lot of playtesting with it. I originally had dugtrio and thundurus but took out dugtrio and thundurus since it was banned. i am not going to make a team building thing. lets get straight to the team bitches

Frogger (Politoed) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Protect
Standard politoed pretty much. I run perish song over ice beam because if stuff like CM Latias gets enough boosts up to the point where I can't kill then that could be problem. I don't see much use for ice beam as i have 2 other Ice moves on my team. Scald is my primary STAB move as nothing wants to switch into a burn that doesn't have natural cure, honestly. Toxic can help wear down other weather starters and is good at forcing switches in general. Protect in conjunction with Toxic so i can stall.

Storm (Tornadus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Tailwind
MVP of my team.
I've tried specs but i also seem i need to switch moves against this guy, it doesnt get the best coverage but Hurricane is much more spammable than Thunder ever was imo. Focus Blast for T-Tar and other Steels. Grass knot for stuff that can die to hurricane but i dont wanna miss or if its in a different weather. I've tested u-turn and rain danc ehere over grass knot and tail wind and i want some feedback. I definitely want tailwind over rain dance as this team perfoms pretty well outside of rain, uturn would be nice but grass knot as a no miss move is crucial to my success. Any ideas?

JungleRock (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
I'm not too sure on the set here. I think leech seed might be more beneficial but I like Gyro Ball too. I understand u can only have 2 out of the 3 so help there would be nice. Toxic again I don't know if I need it since this is a stall team, but helps since I don't have T-Spikes or anything, my last defense against setup sweepers. Spikes and Stealth Rocks are too ensure OHKOes with my offensive Pokemon. I've considered swapping out Ferrothorn in general, but don't know for what.
its fine (Landorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
Scarf landorus on a rain team. real talk.
This thing is great against sand teams and is great overall. I've considered running ebelt or even the sub 3 attacks set since I get tailwind up a fair amount of the time, but the scarf really helps sometimes against other scarfers and stuff like Jolteon. EQ is my main STAB move which beats against sand. stone edge and HP Ice are both for flying but hp ice hits more dragon types. u-turn is the most important move allow me to get switch initiative,.

cannon (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder
this thing is amazing. I really like the offensive rapid spin set. many people think you might run psychic or Hp grass for rotom and gastrodon but you surprise them with spin. the great thing is if i jellicent trys to block my spin it'll take a thunder to the face. Hydro Pump is my main STAB move, it hits so hard in rain. If celebi/shaymin lives multiple Hydro pumps I switch up to ice beam. Great pokemon.

Rachi (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Protect
- Thunder
p. much the backbone of my team. wish can help my sweepers and politoed live longer, but it is easier said than done. body slam for paralysis if i dont get tailwind up. protect obviously helps against wish and i can scout against stuff like CB terrakion. Thunder is great in the rain and catches shit off guard.

I hope you liked the team. Any rates would be appreciated.

Pretty good team.

I recommand a Spec Tornadus with classic moves. T-Tar don't take a lot on FB because of Sand Storm and Chopple Berry.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Focus Blast

U-turn is good for Tyranitar who can easy trapp Tornadus and don't take a lot because of the SandStorm.

On Ferrothorn, use the classic reaprtition and Power Whip over Toxic for water type.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Use Dugtrio over Landorus and Scarf Politoed . With Dugtrio, you can trapp Ninetales and Tyranitar and trapp Steel type for Tornadus. With Polioted Scarf, you can revenge kill Dragonite and Gyarados on +1 and you can outspeed Dugtrio.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

and Scarf Politoed :

Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electic]
- Focus Blast

Use Leftovers over Life Orb on Starmie because the Spin is important.

Use Jirachi Sub Minder over your Jirachi.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SAtk / 104 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Water Pulse

Enough Evs in Speed for outspeed Gyarados and Nite Jolly. HP are for resist to Seismic Toss from Chasey/Blissey. Thunder haxxs a lot and Water Pulse too who is boost by the Rain

Thanks for the Rate, Starm.
On Tornadus, the thing I don't like is being forced to predict with U-Turn. I don't have much defensive things to take a hit after I U-Turn incorrectly either, which is why I want to keep my defensive Rachi. Do you have any info on what Specs tornadus hits harder than LO? I don't like the Dugtrio change TBH. I find Dugtrio set up fodder a lot and I don't have much of a problem with other weathers, not gonna go through with that one. I'll test lefties over LO on Starmie.

Hey

This team really seems to be going in the right direction, but I think that there are a few things that could be improved upon. First of all, for the looks of it offensive Volcarona seems to be a big threat under the influence of sun. Choice Scarf Landorus does a decent job checking it but since it doesn't resist fire-type moves taking on multiple sun boosted Fire Blast seems problematic. Landorus also falls to boosted extremespeed against Lucario and Dragonite after a couple stealth rock switch-ins. Modest Venasaur is an other huge threat which packs the capability to sweep your entire team and seen on most sun teams resulting in being even more annoying. To fix the above situations I highly recommend replacing Landorus for Choice Scarf Terrakion. This new addition would be well-respected within your team, Terrakion utilizes it's blazing speed and dual stabs to be an effective revenge killer. Close Combat and Stone Edge are it's most powerful stab moves. X-Scissors complements well with its dual stabs by hitting bulky psychic-types harder. Earthquake provides you insurance against Toxicroak which could be pretty threatening to encounter after a boost. Rock Slide is an excellent alternative over Earthquake, it allows you to have a better accuracy and is definitely more reliable to use in critical conditions. After this change revenge killing becomes much simpler and accessible unlike on Landorus. Both extremespeed Dragonite and Lucario fall to Terrakion's superiority and Modest Venasaur gets decimated by it under the sun. Jolly nature is preferred to significantly increase its speed. Terrakion's rock and fighting typing comes in handy while resisting several priority moves thus making it a perfect candidate for this specific role.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissors
~ Earthquake / Rock Slide

For some minor changes, you should definitely consider trying an EV spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef with a relaxed nature and a combination of Spikes, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave or Power Whip and Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. These adjustments greatly maximizes it's walling potentials and make it more efficient compared to the previous variant. Power Whip demolishes bulky water and ground-type mons where Gyro Ball shits on anything that does not resist it. Jirachi would really appreciate a set with 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef with a Sassy nature and a movepool of Iron Head, Thunder, Wish and Stealth Rocks. Iron Head is a must on every specially defensive Jirachi, it flinches the living world out of paralyzed mons thanks to Serene Grace. Body Slam isn't necessary considering the fact you do run permanent rain. Lastly U-turn seems like a reasonable option on Tornados to retain the offensive momentum after Landorus lose. It gives you instant switch advantage which lessens off the pressure from your shoulders. Overall brilliant team Griff, Good Luck!

Hey

This team really seems to be going in the right direction, but I think that there are a few things that could be improved upon. First of all, for the looks of it offensive Volcarona seems to be a big threat under the influence of sun. Choice Scarf Landorus does a decent job checking it but since it doesn't resist fire-type moves taking on multiple sun boosted Fire Blast seems problematic. Landorus also falls to boosted extremespeed against Lucario and Dragonite after a couple stealth rock switch-ins. Modest Venasaur is an other huge threat which packs the capability to sweep your entire team and seen on most sun teams resulting in being even more annoying. To fix the above situations I highly recommend replacing Landorus for Choice Scarf Terrakion. This new addition would be well-respected within your team, Terrakion utilizes it's blazing speed and dual stabs to be an effective revenge killer. Close Combat and Stone Edge are it's most powerful stab moves. X-Scissors complements well with its dual stabs by hitting bulky psychic-types harder. Earthquake provides you insurance against Toxicroak which could be pretty threatening to encounter after a boost. Rock Slide is an excellent alternative over Earthquake, it allows you to have a better accuracy and is definitely more reliable to use in critical conditions. After this change revenge killing becomes much simpler and accessible unlike on Landorus. Both extremespeed Dragonite and Lucario fall to Terrakion's superiority and Modest Venasaur gets decimated by it under the sun. Jolly nature is preferred to significantly increase its speed. Terrakion's rock and fighting typing comes in handy while resisting several priority moves thus making it a perfect candidate for this specific role.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissors
~ Earthquake / Rock Slide

For some minor changes, you should definitely consider trying an EV spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef with a relaxed nature and a combination of Spikes, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave or Power Whip and Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn. These adjustments greatly maximizes it's walling potentials and make it more efficient compared to the previous variant. Power Whip demolishes bulky water and ground-type mons where Gyro Ball shits on anything that does not resist it. Jirachi would really appreciate a set with 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef with a Sassy nature and a movepool of Iron Head, Thunder, Wish and Stealth Rocks. Iron Head is a must on every specially defensive Jirachi, it flinches the living world out of paralyzed mons thanks to Serene Grace. Body Slam isn't necessary considering the fact you do run permanent rain. Lastly U-turn seems like a reasonable option on Tornados to retain the offensive momentum after Landorus lose. It gives you instant switch advantage which lessens off the pressure from your shoulders. Overall brilliant team Griff, Good Luck!
Thanks Mostwanted for rating my team. I will definitely try Terrakion over landorus. The thing on my team that do take a lucarios espeed die to CC. I've seen a rise in Bp Lucario lately though. With the removal of landy, I have put U-Turn on tornadus now specs. On Ferrothorn I have put your recommend moveset, i like the idea of rocks on rachi but i'll have to get used to not having protect. Thanks so much for helping. I'll try all this stuff out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)