Powered Up!

no, i said that it would be probably just be doubled, so it would probably just be quadrupled. Not all would follow the same "X+B" formula. Fur coat and huge power are more likely just XB.
wait so how can you tell if something uses one formula and something uses another? Is it just completely arbitrary?

wait so how can you tell if something uses one formula and something uses another? Is it just completely arbitrary?
That's a good question. It seems like most sources treat most abilities as X+B except for huge power, which they just say doubles it.

adaptability stuff in general seem gud. only problem is most of them have only passable speed, but just stick a choice scarf onto them and they're set.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Aggron: 252-299 (73.2 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(I assumed +2 attack/sp. attack for the 4x adaptability calcs.)

Alright, I've been away from OMs way too long. So, since I'm back (at least, for a while), I want to bring up a few topics, i.e. unbans. I know this isn't on a server at all at the moment, but it'll never get back on Aqua if this thread has no discussion.

The first potential unban I want to start discussing is one that really never should've been banned from this metagame, Aegislash. It, in theory, is still the same monster it is in OU. However, while it is the same thing, a lot of the common metagame has drastically shifted to more colossal amounts of power (Mega Charizard X & Y, Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar, and Heatran in OU alone) and bulk (Furfrou, Gliscor, Mega Aggron). In short, while Aegislash hasn't truly changed, the metagame around it has changed drastically, meaning that a fair bit of Aegislash's former prey are now more suited to take done Aegislash.

The second potential unban I want to start discussing is Blaziken. I don't expect a lot of people to embrace my train of thought on this one, but think about it. With Talonflame having an 81.3% chance to OHKO Blaziken's standard UBER set without Rocks, attack boosts, or investment. All Talonflame has to do is smack that chicken with a Brave Bird and he is down. Considering that Talonflame's Brave Bird is +2 priority, that buffed Speed boost doesn't mean jack. And, similarly to Aegislash, The metagame is much more prepare to take on the Chicken now. Notably, Furfrou handles him quite nicely, and when Gliscor lives, Blaziken feels sad.

Please let me know what you guys feel about these potential changes, and about any bans you feel might be needed.

Alright, I've been away from OMs way too long. So, since I'm back (at least, for a while), I want to bring up a few topics, i.e. unbans. I know this isn't on a server at all at the moment, but it'll never get back on Aqua if this thread has no discussion.

The first potential unban I want to start discussing is one that really never should've been banned from this metagame, Aegislash. It, in theory, is still the same monster it is in OU. However, while it is the same thing, a lot of the common metagame has drastically shifted to more colossal amounts of power (Mega Charizard X & Y, Bisharp, Mega Tyranitar, and Heatran in OU alone) and bulk (Furfrou, Gliscor, Mega Aggron). In short, while Aegislash hasn't truly changed, the metagame around it has changed drastically, meaning that a fair bit of Aegislash's former prey are now more suited to take done Aegislash.

The second potential unban I want to start discussing is Blaziken. I don't expect a lot of people to embrace my train of thought on this one, but think about it. With Talonflame having an 81.3% chance to OHKO Blaziken's standard UBER set without Rocks, attack boosts, or investment. All Talonflame has to do is smack that chicken with a Brave Bird and he is down. Considering that Talonflame's Brave Bird is +2 priority, that buffed Speed boost doesn't mean jack. And, similarly to Aegislash, The metagame is much more prepare to take on the Chicken now. Notably, Furfrou handles him quite nicely, and when Gliscor lives, Blaziken feels sad.

Please let me know what you guys feel about these potential changes, and about any bans you feel might be needed.
Aegislash is still extremely powerful. And it still creates 50/50s and makes large portions of the metagame less viable (furfrou can't do anything)

I don't fully understand blaziken's proposal, you've mentioned 2 checks, it still destroys offense that doesn't have glis or talonflame. other pokemon that benefit from the abilities still get hurt ohkod by blaze and don't outspeed.

On the topic of consistency, for better or worse, all abilities that give boosts of some sort have their effects treated as multipliers, (so the 1.5x boost from, say, Flare Boost, becomes 3x), with the exception of Mega Launcher and Sniper, both of which are listed as going from a 50% boost to a 100% boost, which is equivalent from going from a 1.5x multiplier to a 2x multiplier. For consistency's sake, these should treated as multipliers, so they both would become a 3x boost.

Alternatively, just treat all boosts as percent boosts (which means reworking all of the abilities again), if you want to make the metagame less offensive.

Well, well, well! After such a long absence playing this "cool" game called "Life", I'm back, for better or for worse. And boy, do I have a lot to catch up on.

I would like to first mention that this metagame was long since removed from Aqua, but SHOULD be re-added. If Snaquaza hasn't re-added this in around a week or two poke him with flaming tongs until he does I'll remind him again.

On the topic of consistency, for better or worse, all abilities that give boosts of some sort have their effects treated as multipliers, (so the 1.5x boost from, say, Flare Boost, becomes 3x), with the exception of Mega Launcher and Sniper, both of which are listed as going from a 50% boost to a 100% boost, which is equivalent from going from a 1.5x multiplier to a 2x multiplier. For consistency's sake, these should treated as multipliers, so they both would become a 3x boost.

Alternatively, just treat all boosts as percent boosts (which means reworking all of the abilities again), if you want to make the metagame less offensive.
I've had a long time to change my thoughts. While I do have fun occasionally just stalling people 'till they turn into Dumbledore, I've become a more offensive person, for better or for worse. While this metagame is already dead, I really don't want to go with your idea. Why? Three big reasons:
1. It's Powered Up. Everything's stronger, and that's part of what this is. I am not going to change the nature of what I feel this should be; its fast paced, and that's the way it should be. Now, I'm not unbanning every uber that is offensive, as I want hardcore stallers to feel like it isn't quite dead, only slumbering.
2. Your suggestion would turn this into a petmod, and if anything, I don't like the idea of this becoming a petmod. I even changed the original concept from just boosting only damage modifying abilities to prevent it from being a petmod. That means that this gets less attention than it does now, which is not cool in my opinion. If anything it'll hurt this metagame.
3. The mechanic is already consistent. It isn't quite cleaned up, but once it is, it'll be more fun than confusing and arbitrary, which is what all metagames strive to be. Unfortunately, your idea involves shoving the code into the faces of new players everywhere in order to understand why certain abilities are buffed and not others, which is certainly not good when this metagame is already dead.

Now then, I am going to announce one thing...

Suspect Test - Greninja

In OU, Greninja was banned due to its wicked speed tier and its ability, Protean. Protean essentially gives every move STAB, which means that he has four STAB moves instead of one or two. Here, he still has Protean, but he doesn't exactly get anything out of this metagame, except the potential to get outsped more often, since we'll likely be seeing more of Chlorophyll, Swift Swim, Prankster, Gale Wings, and priority to outspeed enemy speedsters. Not to mention how he could very well be walled a little easier now. He still isn't easy to wall, however, so that is why I'm not simply unbanning him right now.

This suspect test will end in around 2-4 days. With your votes, please give logical reasoning as to why it should/shouldn't be allowed to have a chance to prove that it isn't broken.​

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok, so I will start this off by saying that I believe Greninja should be unbanned.

Yes I know Protean makes it hit hard, and it has a movepool that covers so much, but I find this meta has too many other powerful wallbreakers than Greninja. First thing that comes to mind are -ates. They are too powerful. 2.6x boosts from powerful moves like Return and Extreme Speed is really hard to switch in to. The offensive nature this meta leads to also does not fall in Greninja's favor, leaving it hard to find any chance to shine in a match due to the already omnipresent powerhouses this meta creates. Overall, I believe if Greninja would be brought back, it would still hit extremely hard with very few checks and counters, but there are many more powerful hitters in this meta, and if they are allowed, Greninja should be aswell.

Unban it, and seconding what snaz said earlier today. Either square boosts or add them twice- be consistent.
First of all, I'm not unbanning yet. I would like to hear what other people think about unbanning it before actually doing so.

Second, I'm working on it. It will take a while, but I'll do it.

Edit: I've finished it up. Snaquaza, I hope your happy.

Last edited:
Mega Pinsir atleast has some more checks, in Gliscor and Furfrou. Albeit bad ones, they're still checks. Nothing new happens to Greninja, still uncounterable, still blazingly fast and still has immensely powerful coverage

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
The better question is why should we unban Greninja. Would he add anything to the meta?
This is the worst possible way to think about a suspect test. Does happiny add anything to you? No. But it shouldn't be banned. Only broken mons should be banned for that reason, not because you can make a philosophical bullshit argument that somehow proves they might as well banned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)