Post your favorite anime

My favorite animes:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (can't wait for the movie!)
Saint Seiya
Detective Conan (Case Close)
One Piece (well, the manga. the anime is shitty lately)
Naruto
Dragonball / Dragonball Z / Dragonball GT

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh no not your precious anime lists
Win.

And the plot is getting a bit slightly crappier. I feel as if the writers are trying to cram in everything in the most smallest space possible

We have the homunculus doing their shit, with the military doing their own shit, with Scar doing his OWN shit, while the Elric bros are trying to find their philosopher stone and try finding peace. Somehow, having too much stuff going on at once has turned down my interest

Win.

And the plot is getting a bit slightly crappier. I feel as if the writers are trying to cram in everything in the most smallest space possible

We have the homunculus doing their shit, with the military doing their own shit, with Scar doing his OWN shit, while the Elric bros are trying to find their philosopher stone and try finding peace. Somehow, having too much stuff going on at once has turned down my interest
Dude that makes the storyline amazing.
Although I have NO idea what "Father"'s purpose is. I just finished watching episode 28, and god damn. Oh, and stupid Envy, he promised...

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
popemobile and Ericcc, you two aren't watching the same show. popemobile is watching the original series and Ericcc is watching Brotherhood.

@Firestorm, that would explain the confusion earlier, lol,
It can get confusing since people just abbreviate it FMA usaully...

Having just watched the original FMA animé, I must honestly say that it's just incredible. The characters, the mood, the story, everything. Especially Dante's theme gives me shivers whenever I hear it.

My favourite animé, however, remains Death Note, followed closesly by a pretty obscure one named Hellsing. It also has two animés, with the second one being better, except for the soundtrack. Trailer for the second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-5VWT62HY

Gaaaah!
????? Hellsing is ungodly popular. It has a sort of Elfenlied reputation because of the first series, ungodly popular, kind of shoddily animated in some ways (not nearly as bad as Elfenlied), butchers the manga...the second one is pretty popular, but taking so long to release each OVA has done a lot to prevent it from being truly popular. If it had put out an OVA a month, then it had no ceiling for how popular it could get.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/270/Hellsing
http://myanimelist.net/anime/777/Hellsing_Ultimate

My real point is that if you do not have perspective on a subject, then do not try to make some claim to authority that you have a ridiculously shortsighted / incorrect view about.

@CaptKirby: if you hate anime studios and copout animation so much why do you still watch anime and why do you still bother correcting people in this thread?

on topic:
I just bought Romeo X Juliet. I love love love it. It has flying horses!

flying horses.

Would you really consider Hellsing "ungodly popular"? I mean, it's dwarfed by the giants like FMA and Bleach, and its score on MAL isn't even that high. Ultimate is pretty good, but it takes so damn long for each episode to be released that at this point I'd rather read the manga.

Elfen Lied definitely isn't ungodly popular. It's just heavily infamous and broken-based, and the animation sucks. Probably would have been better if it followed the manga, but the manga isn't even that good.

PS. you linked to MAL, so I'll assume you give the site at least a little credit. On the top anime list, guess what's #1? :)

My favorite (favorite 2, I guess) is Code Geass. It's reminiscent of Death Note, except there's less talking and more giant robots.

Ugh, Elfin Lied is awful. Glad to see there's people that feel the same way. The opening is the best part of that series.

I think Brotherhood also has the problem of trying to cram too much into its episodes. Even if the first anime's and the manga's timelines are different, I think I would like it better if Brotherhood started when the plots started to diverge and reveal the past with flashbacks or something.

Hellsing used to be popular...maybe 10 years ago...I still like it for vampires not being wusses, Integra and the snazzy clothes.

Another fantastic anime I love is Fantastic Children! (No pun intended.) It's shamefully obscure. Don't let the art style fool you, it's absolutely wonderful and very well-put together.

@CaptKirby: if you hate anime studios and copout animation so much why do you still watch anime and why do you still bother correcting people in this thread?

on topic:
I just bought Romeo X Juliet. I love love love it. It has flying horses!

flying horses.
Try to read more deeply - I like Hellsing, both anime and manga. I was just talking about reputation, it has more backlash than many series (like if a series like Bebop or Galactic Heroes have 1% backlash, essentially none, Hellsing has like 20-30% or something)

Would you really consider Hellsing "ungodly popular"? I mean, it's dwarfed by the giants like FMA and Bleach, and its score on MAL isn't even that high. Ultimate is pretty good, but it takes so damn long for each episode to be released that at this point I'd rather read the manga.

Elfen Lied definitely isn't ungodly popular. It's just heavily infamous and broken-based, and the animation sucks. Probably would have been better if it followed the manga, but the manga isn't even that good.

PS. you linked to MAL, so I'll assume you give the site at least a little credit. On the top anime list, guess what's #1? :)
You realize that is completely invalid, right? Eva 2.22 is top 10 somewhere just for being new and "shiny" and another Evangelion. Fullmetal is also up there for being new and "shiny" and another Fullmetal Alchemist. The site has some validity for getting a feel for how people analyze anime, but where a specific anime ends up is not necessarily meaningful (e.g. Elfenlied #67). Some things are rated critically highly because of popularity (e.g. Major, one of the worst series ever, with three seasons as three separate top 100 entries), and some things are rated pretty reasonably analytically. There is no rhyme or reason to which it is, you just have to know a lot about anime. MAL and ANN and any sites like those provide perspective, not a definitive ruling on anything.

Yes, Hellsing is ungodly popular. Elfenlied is even more ungodly popular considering it is terrible, Hellsing has good parts, Elfenlied has none. Elfenlied is like a more ungodly popular Love Hina, you are really underestimating it. When people ask for anime to watch, Elfenlied is going to be one of the 5-10 most commonly mentioned. It is not like I have seen this happen just among nerds, I have seen it happen on facebook, in real life, et cetera It is fucking disgraceful.

Haha what was I thinking, the best example of all for both my points: Code Geass season 2 #7 critically, #8 popularity. Rankings add perspective, not definitive judgements.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
My favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop, the TV series. It had a fairly interesting story, and interesting plot lines within each episode. The music and animation was also amazing.

Another anime that I think is also very well made is Ghost in Shell, both the movies and the TV show. The vision of the future is really interesting, and the plot line is really well written.

My favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop, the TV series. It had a fairly interesting story, and interesting plot lines within each episode. The music and animation was also amazing.
Agreed brother. Samurai Champloo, and Dragonball Z also have great soundtracks and fight scenes, making them my favorites. The Boondocks has great music as well, but I watch that more for humor than action.

Currently I am watching the new Naruto Shippuden episodes every Thursday, and finished watching the Mobile Suit Gundam 00 series. I'm also ready to start watching a boxing anime a friend recommended called Hajime no Ippo. Here's a youtube vid of the intro if y'all are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WebDMtitufk

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you guys consider The Boondocks anime, then hell yes, I've watched it. I have all 3 seasons on my laptop, bought the first two seasons with extras. Definitely one of my favorites. Can't stop rewatching it sporadically. The soundtrack is amazingly well done.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
-Kaiji
-Akagi
-Mushishi (*)
-Death Note
-The PopoloCrois anime, albeit being very simple because it's targeted to kids.
-Golden Boy (for all the wrong reasons, I don't even like women)

And some other stuff I forgot

Haha CK, I was joking about the MAL. I know perfectly well these sites mean jack.

When people ask for anime to watch, Elfenlied is going to be one of the 5-10 most commonly mentioned.
But this, are you serious? I always thought Elfen Lied was a widely-hated anime. It might have a small cult following (ie people who read hentai), but I thought that was it. Nobody I've talked to who watches anime ever liked Elfen Lied.

What am I saying, I know why people watch Elfen Lied. Its cuz they look for a series to watch and hear about this "controversial and infamous blah blah anime" called Elfen Lied. Then they watch it. Then they tell their friends to watch it, because it's so bad.

In my books well-known anime does not equal popular or good anime. Everybody knows about Naruto; it still sucks hard.

About Geass R2: its ranked and rated high not for its plot, but for its trainride(wreck).

I like loads of anime but Id have to say my favourites are Hajime no Ippo, Death Note and Naruto. They're all great and I also watch a bit of Bleach but i dont like it as much as other stuff.

Actually, I think people like and watch Elfen Lied because they're new to anime and actually think it's meaningful and "mature" when it actually has nothing important to say about anything...at least anything that hasn't been said before and better.

Naruto was pretty good for one arc and a decent shonen until Filler Hell hit it. Shippuden isn't really good..then again, the animation director responsible for the massive pile of fail and lulz that is Musashi Gundou is working on it in several key positions, so I don't think I can blame it too much.

avroillusion said:
Actually, I think people like and watch Elfen Lied because they're new to anime and actually think it's meaningful and "mature" when it actually has nothing important to say about anything...at least anything that hasn't been said before and better.
really? I thought they just liked the violence.

I'll also list a few of my other favorites..

Yu Yu Hakusho, Higurashi no Noko no Ki (might've spelled that wrong), and Finnish Digimon.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know more people who read Hentai than have watched Elfen Lied. And I know more people who dislike Elfen Lied than those who liked it.

Personally, I think Elfen Lied would have better without the copious amounts of nudity of violence. But I still enjoyed it, it's the only "horror" show where I've cared enough about the characters to get really scared when they were put in danger. It didn't matter that Lucy was never really sympathetic, the show achieved something for me that others haven't and at only about 10-14 episodes it didn't outstay its welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)