Post limit for RMT threads

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm just tossing this out as an idea, but is it possible to limit new posters from posting RMTs? My understanding of the section is that it is for more polished teams than some of these people with low posts write. This could be done through a straight-out restriction to only posting before a mod has seen it.

Blackhawk11

one on one
While your idea is valid and could potentially clear up the RMT section, I think it would have a negative effect. In my experience, the best way (besides 1 on 1 tutoring) for a new person to learn is by either getting well-explained criticism on their team, or reading well-explained criticism on a different team made by somebody who is as experienced as they are. That goes away when you're only allowed to post if your team is nearly perfect.

I learned a lot of what I know by reading people say "your team is gyarados weak because it can set up on Scizor and Infernape, use Dragon Dance, and KO your entire team. You can use defensive rotom-a or Vaporeon to counter it. I would choose Rotom-a because it can take a Waterfall from Gyarados after it has used Dragon Dance once, and then KO back with Thunderbolt. It fits best in place of Pokemon X because all X does is stop Pokemon Y, which Rotom-a does as well."

Well-refined teams made by players who actually know how to build a near perfect team won't receive such comments. Instead this will happen: "a team with a well played Salamence/Lucario duo could give your team trouble. Make sure you don't let Gliscor take damage early and you could use Choice Scarf > Specs on latias to outrun +1 Mence."

If I'm a new player, that just went over my head. I don't care about what the best, >1500 CRE players are going to do to me, I just want to be able to beat players around 1200-1300 CRE like me, and possibly put up a decent fight against somebody higher up.

Sure, often people with low post counts are inexperienced and post rule breaking RMTs, but some are actually trying to get better, and just can't quite get their team right. If all inexperienced people are prevented from posting, we're kinda just magnifying our supposed "elitist" attitude. If mods have to preview every thread before it is posted, RMTs would surely back up and by the time your RMT is posted, you may not even use the team any more. Either that or we would need like 20 RMT mods to make sure there are always a few on hand who are free.

tl;dr: I'm against this because even though it might help in some areas, it will probably make other areas worse.

How would only near-perfect players get to post their teams? I was under the impreession that it was more along the lines of "does the team meet the rules" and not "is the team nearly flawless." I like this idea.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
This isn't trying to restrict 1200-1300 CRE level teams. RMT should be "help me better my team" rather than "I am a new player and this team has never been tested before but I want to see how it does"

It doesn't take much to go from the second category to the first, just let people wait a week with new accounts before posting.

well those users never read the rmt rules anyway, and some of them blatantly say that their team was cooked up in 5 minutes so i actually think this is an ok idea

of course it just reinforces the idea that smogon is a bunch of elitists but i think we're past caring about that

Its not to discourage users who would post bad teams. Its to discourage people who would post rmts which break the rules, and would most likely increase their quality anyways. The restriction wouldn't have to be high, but there is a much better chance then that they know what they should be like.

(I also have a feeling though, that if this were made a rule, those same people would post, because, since they haven't read the rules, they won't have read this....)

I have to say that I disagree with this idea almost entirely. My first post on smogon was an RMT thread, and while there are plenty of people who would not listen to the rules, there are plenty of others, such as my former self, who came to smogon looking for help and guidance. This idea would only serve to dissuade the latter group.

I'm not fond of this idea because the could be some poor new person out there who busts their chops to create a team, could have tested it, asked for improvements the works, and then get "You have less than x posts and thus are not allowed to create a thread in this forum" , ok I can't back up my arguement by suggesting a solution but I still belive its a bad idea once I put myself into the situation, besides people may resort to spamming the shoddy server...

I think the main objective of this idea is to cut back on the posts / threads that would be deleted or locked.

The problem is that brand new posters take very little time looking for rules, seeing how other people do things, etc. This can easily apply to anywhere in the forum not just RMT obviously. I'm not sure this is the best way to solve the problem. Maybe make the forum rules easier to find than the way they are now, as an announcement at the top of every major forum. They way they are now, they're very easy to miss.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dislike this idea, and who's to say people just won't spam x number of posts in one random forum so they can post their team? And if mods had to go through -every- rmt and allow them or disallow them, we'd need like 15 meeds to check alone...The number of teams posted each day is ridiculous for the 3 or 4 of us to do. I just don't really agree with the solution, I do agree that something could be done to help increase the quality though.

You know, if you give this a bit of thought, maybe seperating OU into two different threads, like "stable teams" and "unstable teams" (teams that work well in your opinion and teams you need a lot of help with) might achieve some of the wanted results in this thread. Thoughts?

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
blackhawk summed it up pretty nicely; if this were to be made a rule, then the rmt forum would become extremely boring imo because of all the very similar teams running around (let's face it, most good teams are similar...just look at warstories :P). besides, people can still just go to firebot or wi-fi pc++, then come back in a couple of days with like 30 posts and then post their team. not to mention that this would probably discourage several new users from being eager to contribute to smogon; one of my very first posts was a rmt thread (i had like 16 posts at the time of posting iirc), and so if i hadn't been allowed to post that team, then i probably would have been turned off to smogon. i don't mean to sound vain or whatever, but i do my fair share of contributing here i think, and if this rule existed back in june 2009, i would probably have left smogon in frustration of not being able to look for help. despite this whole "smogon are elitist whores" image that we have going for us at other forums, we really as a whole do try and help everyone, even the newest users with the worst teams.

tl;dr: i think that this wouldn't achieve anything, would probably piss a lot of people off, and would overall not improve the quality of the rmt forum just based on "bad teams, good teams".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)