Portuguese version of Smogon (translation project)

Hello everyone, my name is Leonardo, and I'm from Brazil.

I have been reading articles, movesets and other guides here on Smogon since 2011, when I started to play Pokémon competitively. Well, let's talk about an idea I had a few weeks ago.

There's a huge Pokémon fanbase and an average competitive community in Portuguese-speaking countries like Brazil and Portugal, but not everybody speaks English (mainly here in Brazil). Maybe a translating project would encourage more people to play competitively, thus attracting more fans to the website.

A few things, however, would NOT be translated, such as the following:
  • Names of Pokémon, moves, items and abilities.
    Reason: Almost everyone here plays the English version of the game, and the translated moves in the anime sound just terrible.
    For an example: when Pokémon arrived here, translators changed "Water Gun" to "Jato D'Água" (which means "Water Jet"). When the move "Aqua Jet" was created, they decided to name it "Foguete D'Água" ("Water Rocket").
    Moreover, competitive players around here call moves, abilities and items by their English names anyway.
  • Slangs, abbreviations and competitive terms like "OHKO", "Revenge Killer", "Rapid Spinner" et cetera.
That's all about it by now. Any suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)