SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I guess we'll see about this. In the end USUM is only 1 month away at this point

I just realized, the Ubers Kangaskhan set on Smogon actually relies on Seismic Toss and Body Slam usage, which are not obtainavle in VGC scenario since I believe they are tutors/TM from previous gens.

So I stand my point on M-Kanga not being as impressive threat for 2018 :P

Last edited:
They have all the changes they've done to Alola they can exposit on. Also we don't know why the new Z-Moves needs to be twisted to activate, as well as revealing more Z-Moves. If there's any new Alolan forms they can focus on them (also new Mega Evos, hopeful thinking). They can go indepth on any potential expansion o the Aether Foundation and Team Skull. Provide fanservice by revealing they're putting more past NPCs in the Battle Tree.

While all these new additions are nice, at the same time I would also like to see how much has the story actually changed. Will we still be following the same story beats but now with extra Ultra Recon Squad bits until the Alter?
I mean, the stuff they have historically revealed just before launch has never been anything of high importance, because the marketing team has gotten good at revealing big news in an ample amount of time before launch, even if it's just 6 weeks beforehand. Sometimes it's new pokemon, sometimes it's a little sidequest thing that doesn't effect gameplay.

A part of me wants them to show some of these now-more-fleshed-out areas in the region, like the places that have new or refurbished buildings. inb4 that crazy guy finally builds the rest of Jurassic Park.

I mean, the stuff they have historically revealed just before launch has never been anything of high importance, because the marketing team has gotten good at revealing big news in an ample amount of time before launch, even if it's just 6 weeks beforehand. Sometimes it's new pokemon, sometimes it's a little sidequest thing that doesn't effect gameplay.

A part of me wants them to show some of these now-more-fleshed-out areas in the region, like the places that have new or refurbished buildings. inb4 that crazy guy finally builds the rest of Jurassic Park.
I HOPE the JP style resort becomes a thing, who knows, maybe they will also use it as an excuse to introduce new fossil mons.

Well, iirc in the trailers it was shown that some of the areas with "in construction" patterns in S/M actually had buildings in USUM. So it's not impossible that the Fossil thing was finished.
.......in before it's the Pikachu camp.

The only thing I hope in terms of places that you are able to explore: Let me walk on the Golf Course! It is so weird to just put it there and then not use it. Maybe now that Kahili is a more prominent character it will play a role in her background story or something. Possibly the first place you meet her? I know it is borderline wishlisting, but I can't be the only one wanting this.

The only thing I hope in terms of places that you are able to explore: Let me walk on the Golf Course! It is so weird to just put it there and then not use it. Maybe now that Kahili is a more prominent character it will play a role in her background story or something. Possibly the first place you meet her? I know it is borderline wishlisting, but I can't be the only one wanting this.
Play golf, anyone?

Well seeing they shown that the Dragon guy is *somewhere* in the story as well (and he's just a borderline character in S/M), and the Fairy chick also gets a trial of her own, it is possible Kahili also has a appearance somewhere.

What if she actually gets to do a flying trial for example?

Well seeing they shown that the Dragon guy is *somewhere* in the story as well (and he's just a borderline character in S/M), and the Fairy chick also gets a trial of her own, it is possible Kahili also has a appearance somewhere.

A golf course does seem like the perfect spot for a trail...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

We've seen a quick glimpse of Kahili, so she is in the game. It was at the 0:13 mark of this video. Looks like she's on a dirt path/in the cave and is showing the pose for the Flying-type Z-Move.

Though as a Trial Captain? Well certainly a possibility, but at the same time that would mean they'd have to replace either Lana, Kiawe, or Mallow (or be adding a fourth trial to Akala and eighth overall). Also Captains can only be Captains till their 20, and I think Kahili is around that age.

If they want to significantly include her in as someone other than an early cameo of an Elite Four member I can think of two ways: they're going to do the Pokemon League thing and her gold course is her "Gym" (though that doesn't explain why she's on a dirt path/in a cave doing her Z-Move pose, you'd think that would happen on the green turf) or maybe we're getting a new set of Island Kahuna. I'd rather the League idea, they can even have some Captains become Gym Leaders so their trial is the Gym Puzzle before we then later battle them directly. Or maybe they are adding more Trials, nothing said their only needed to be seven (and they may raise/get rid of the age limit thing, who knows, maybe they'll make the Trials into the replacement for the Gyms just for Alola).

A golf course does seem like the perfect spot for a trail...
Kahili: Okay, for your Flying-type Trial, you'll need to be a caddie for the day at my dad's resort. What? Being a caddie teaches plenty of life lessons. Patience. Diligence. Thriftiness. Now get out their and wing it.

(Spend most of the Trial finding and fetching golfer's balls, usually being attacked by a wild Pokemon. You meet Kahili on the final hole)

Kahili: Oh good, just in time. I got tired of waiting so began practicing my swings. (Does a swing and sends the ball flying). Look at that birdie go. Though I may have overshot it. Caddie, go fetch it, would you? I promise it won't be a waste of your time.

(Fetches ball near a cave and, surprise, attacked by a Totem Oricorio that summons the other style of Oricorio)

Kahili: Good job! See, I told you it wouldn't be a waste of your time. Congratulations. You passed the Flying-type Trial. Here's Flyinium Z, to use it pose as I do. (Does pose). You know, I'm quite the accomplished trainer myself. Ascend through the ranks and maybe we'll one day have a battle.

Since we’re getting other/different trials, perhaps we’ll get a different Elite 4 challenge at the end of the game as well, like we’ve traditionally gotten in past games.
Actually, if they change the Elite Four, I think that would be the first time they ever did that. We've only ever gotten different Gym Leaders or Champions, the Elite Four is usually left untouched (and underutilized. It's so odd that previously to Sun & Moon they often neglect to do much with the Elite Four despite being the four most powerful trainers under the Champion of the region. Heck, the only reason the Sun & Moon Elite Four stand out is because they were Kahuna/Captain we met before except Kahili, and they did very little with her so the trend follows).

Quick post to do with the Necrozma pokedex positioning. I do not think it is truly debunked just yet.

Since we know Burst and Assembly appear where Buzzwole and Pheramosa did, we can guess they will actually be catchable post-game. And Adhesive was shown to be seen really really early in Paniola Ranch via the Recon Squad.

Is it possible Adhesion is placed really really early in the pokedex, and Burst plus Assembly are at the back and are the only new post-game Ultra Beasts.

Maybe even though they say there will be more old pokemon there might not contribute much and there may be more than 400 (I say about 410-420) cause fuck you I'm GF, and the rest are given to new UBs (excluding alolan because they weren't separate pokes anyway). After all they said about 400, but never exactly.

Quick post to do with the Necrozma pokedex positioning. I do not think it is truly debunked just yet.

Since we know Burst and Assembly appear where Buzzwole and Pheramosa did, we can guess they will actually be catchable post-game. And Adhesive was shown to be seen really really early in Paniola Ranch via the Recon Squad.

Is it possible Adhesion is placed really really early in the pokedex, and Burst plus Assembly are at the back and are the only new post-game Ultra Beasts.

Last edited:

I doubt Adhesion would be early in the dex. Nihilego was first seen and battled just after visiting the Ranch in SM and was still at the end of the dex.

Actually you have to consider that while Nihilego appears early, you do not actually even know its name until in postgame.

UB-Adhesion could be placed early in the dex if the actual name of the Pokemon is revealed early, same for other UBs.
Not true. Lusamine tells you it when you are confronting her in Ultra Space.

Not true. Lusamine tells you it when you are confronting her in Ultra Space.
Granted, that happens pretty close to the end of the game. And the Ultra Recon Squad people seem pretty polite, so I doubt they'd blow off the inevitable "wtf is that weird purple alien thing". Though it will probably be similar to Type: Null, where you see it really early but can't get your own until the late or post game. And Null is placed 2/3 of the way into the Pokedex.

Speaking of Type: Null, I really hope we can get it during the main story this time.
Speaking of which, I always find the point where you can only see Silvally during the end of all incidents and Gladion used it to only fight against you as a huge plothole in the story.
It will be much more dope if they evolved it during the mid-point of the story and kicked Guzma and/or Nihilego's ass (if it still appears as an important plot device in this game), but have it defeated by Necrozma......imagine the awesomeness my friend.

Speaking of which, I always find the point where you can only see Silvally during the end of all incidents and Gladion used it to only fight against you as a huge plothole in the story.
It will be much more dope if they evolved it during the mid-point of the story and kicked Guzma and/or Nihilego's ass (if it still appears as an important plot device in this game), but have it defeated by Necrozma......imagine the awesomeness my friend.
They kind of pulled a Silver with Gladion as he comes to gain some respect for the main chara. Him showing up with Silvally at endgame after the crisis kind of works, because it shows he had some success in raising his Type: Null to tolerate the RKS System.

I agree that his whole arc kind of fell by the wayside, though. It would have been cooler to see him develop as Type: Null evolves during the UB conflict or something similar, after we learn about its origin story.

They kind of pulled a Silver with Gladion as he comes to gain some respect for the main chara. Him showing up with Silvally at endgame after the crisis kind of works, because it shows he had some success in raising his Type: Null to tolerate the RKS System.

I agree that his whole arc kind of fell by the wayside, though. It would have been cooler to see him develop as Type: Null evolves during the UB conflict or something similar, after we learn about its origin story.
I do know he used his silvally to fight against the protagonist before you reached the E4, but that is like after his sister summoned the box legendary, his mom no longer being batshit crazy, and during all these he is just like "I ain't doing shit all day" and didn't appear at all. Heck, he said Type Null is a beast killer (which, well, technically is true), but it just didn't reveal it by some hot-blooded Shonen stuff like "Null! Show them your true self! Be the one that you truly are and go through the limits!" that sort of thing. I typed "after all incidents" in a bad way (You see why good english is needed because that got rid of all problems).

I do know he used his silvally to fight against the protagonist before you reached the E4, but that is like after his sister summoned the box legendary, his mom no longer being batshit crazy, and during all these he is just like "I ain't doing shit all day" and didn't appear at all. Heck, he said Type Null is a beast killer (which, well, technically is true), but it just didn't reveal it by some hot-blooded Shonen stuff like "Null! Show them your true self! Be the one that you truly are and go through the limits!" that sort of thing. I typed "after all incidents" in a bad way (You see why good english is needed because that got rid of all problems).
That's exactly what I thought you meant. SM had a lot of problems with its story elements, because they introduced a lot of key characters and plot points that went nowhere real fast when they needed to be important. Gladion was marketed during gameplay as an important character who just kinda comes back around for an obligatory rival battle before facing the E4.

Everything seemed to get that treatment when it came to the final conflict of the game. Like, the UBs were completely cast aside even though the story hyped them up to be a big thing, but Gladion is one of the better examples. It is kind of frustrating looking back and seeing that there was no real resolution for his character, the writers just kind of shoehorned him in without rhyme or reason. They spent too much time focusing on Lillie, even though Gladion has the same issues that she does from stealing/rescuing something from their eccentric mother.

They did the same thing with Mina, too. They also did the same thing with Team Skull, albeit throughout the entire game.

Derailing for a minute, the fact that nothing felt finished was really irritating, and in my eyes USUM is making the situation worse. It's been demonstrated, as far as I can see, that SM was intentionally unpolished for the sake of having a better version in USUM, and it's disappointing that GF would do that, because the extra installments in generations prior were not so devious. Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl were fine on their own, and Emerald/Platinum were nice as a kind of director's cut version. So far, USUM appears to be what the first installment should have been even though they're trying to convince us that it's still the same old bonus-content game that previous extra installments have been to their respective generations.

Derailing for a minute, the fact that nothing felt finished was really irritating, and in my eyes USUM is making the situation worse. It's been demonstrated, as far as I can see, that SM was intentionally unpolished for the sake of having a better version in USUM, and it's disappointing that GF would do that, because the extra installments in generations prior were not so devious. Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl were fine on their own, and Emerald/Platinum were nice as a kind of director's cut version. So far, USUM appears to be what the first installment should have been even though they're trying to convince us that it's still the same old bonus-content game that previous extra installments have been to their respective generations.
Diamond and Pearl where not fine on their own; from their lack of pokemon types, unfinished story, bad pacing and new pokemon being restricted to the postgame on their own debut Diamond and Pearl where a total mess

You might not have liked Sun and Moon and their focus on story, but to even compare them to the mess that was the 4th gen debut much less imply they where worse than Diamond and Pearl is a too rosy view on gen 4 (Platinum was legitimately great, but the begging of Sinnoh was rough)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)