SV OU Pokemon Run: Next Wave (Balanced Rain Team)

Hi all! With the introduction of The Teal Mask DLC, I'm fascinated with some of the returning Pokemon, especially from Pokemon Legends. When completing the PokeDex, I thought what sort of team I could make. The thing that came into mind was a Rain Dance team built around some of the Pokemon from Brilliant Diamond. I planned on making one half of the team that sweeps and the other half that controls the battle. Anyway, here's the team:

- THE TEAM -

Politoed.png

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Haze

- Encore

Politoed. I'm familiar with how well it performs in previous generations and I still think it's got it. You can't have a Rain Dance team without a Pokemon that brings in the rain and I'm thankful that Damp Rock exists. I chose Politoed over Pelipper because we see hyper offensive teams on the rise and I wanted something that can cripple them in their tracks.

Encore can help cripple setup sweepers with Encore before moving over to whatever team member has the most advantage over the opponent. I was at a crossroad between Hypnosis/Haze. But due to Hypnosis's accuracy, I preferred Haze. A phazer is required to deal with opposing sweepers such as Iron Defense Garganacl (which I saw a lot in Link Battles) and various Swords Dance/Nasty Plot users. Next, Surf is there when the rain's gone Ice Beam's for Ground/Dragon-type coverage. Many Water- types have Ice Beam as its one of the best moves available. That's why Politoed has Tera Grass to deal with opposing Grass-types. I feel like this Pokemon can play the long game in this well, game.

When it comes to weaknesses, I think Taunt could be a problem for it. Gyarados with Taunt is considered the biggest threat since since it can set up and sweep after using it. That can leave a lingering effect to my other Pokemon who are unable to retaliate. All I would do is either let Ludicolo take hits and finish it or when its' HP is low enough, go for Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Manaphy.png

Manaphy @ Mystic Water
Ability: Hydration
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

- Tail Glow

I love this Pokemon. It was one of my all-time favorites in Pokemon Diamond. To see it return with some newly-added moves brings delight to my nostalgic heart. (Just hope it doesn't use Heart Swap on me.) Manaphy takes the role as a special powerhouse sweeper. One Tail Glow's usually enough to leave big tidal wave impact to the enemy team thanks to the sea prince's type coverage and power. Not even Storm Drain Gastrodon can put a stop to it. Let's do some little adding here: Surf + 1/2 Tail Glows + Mystic Water + Rain = Wipeout! I know it's basic but that's what I think. To top it all off, it can shrug off status conditions in the rain with Hydration so to me, it'll difficult to slow down.

It's not impossible to stop though. Unaware Clefable and Clodsire could pose a risk with their big bulk and big hitters like Shell Smash Torterra and Meowscarada depending on the battle can strike it down with little effort if it doesn't Terastallize. The key factor to using Manaphy is bringing it out at the right time. That's how I play my battles. Timing is everything in the end.

Male Basculegion.jpg

Basculegion (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Head Smash
- Psychic Fangs

- Aqua Jet

I'd be honest, I never expected Basculegion to make an appearance AND see it have the power of a hundred bulldozers in or out of the rain. A Swift Swim user with a first priority move that's also a Rapid Spin blocker? Count me in! When I saw Basculegion, I knew what team I had to make and what the biggest fish of the sea had to be. After doing some research, I found that Choice Band is the perfect choice for Basculegion as it can snap and I mean SNAP opponents with revenge when one of my team members bit the dust. We see Manaphy as the special wallbreaker and now we have this guy as the physical wallbreaker. If I could describe this team member, it's a physical glass cannon powerhouse.

Wave Crash and Head Smash are both risky moves to use but they're well worth it with the combination of Choice Band and big attack power. I saw that Last Respects is banned in competitive play so the best alternative is Head Smash which has a 68.8% chance of OHKO'ing a physically defensive Mandibuzz. Psychic Fangs deals with the Loyal Three with ease. (Hey, that rhymes.) Lastly, Aqua Jet finishes off weakened opponents.

Basculegion hits very hard, but it can be hooked by its own set of threats. Big physical tanks like Dondozo, Mimikyu and Kingambit can take the hits and retaliate with their own. Other first-priority users can keep it from sweeping and burn is the worst for it. When burned, Basculegion will be rolling dry and that's something I don't want to happen. It's another team member that relies on getting the green light to go.

Gliscor.png

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

- Protect

Gliscor, a Pokemon that's the answer to Electric-types and one of the two utility supporters to the team. Having Gliscor in my teams taught me how efficient its roles are so here I'm giving it the physically defensive entry hazard bringing item-battering role. Heavy punching foes that don't have the type advantage or anything to setup will be in for a difficult time against this guy. It's always a reliable team partner to have in any game you can remember. You can thank Poison Heal for that. The Tera Type it has is Water. It needs it to resist some big hitting Water-types like the Pokemon I mentioned here.

Everyone here knows it's vital to have a Pokemon who can set up hazards to the other side of the ring, wearing down foes to grab easier KOs in the process. Plus, Knock Off's there for a little bit of wall break support against those who rely heavily on items, crippling the likes of Eviolite, Leftovers and Heavy-Duty Boots users. Unfortunately, Gliscor still doesn't have Roost back so Protect + Poison Heal is the only recovery option there is. If it does learn Roost again, boy it'll be a big game changer.

Even though Gliscor does support this Rain Dance team, it's also bait to mirror matches and Snow teams due to its' typing. One splash or freeze is more than enough to swat it out of the sky and into the water. But if there's one great big threat Gliscor has when in battle, it's Corviknight. It doesn't have anything that's effective against it and Corviknight can Bulk Up easily. I'm familiar with the threat since I also use it in one of my other teams so I know it's a must-switch.

Scizor.jpg

Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

- Defog

Scizor's the utility pivot of the team which is required for getting rid of entry hazards. We all know that teams require a Pokemon that removes entry hazards or Stealth Rock, Spikes and Sticky Web leaves us as a disadvantage. I selected Scizor because I wanted the team to have more type diversity, punching the likes of Glimmora, Sylveon and Snow teams. Plus, I needed something that can play team mind games with the help of U-Turn, preparing the best match-ups in any situation.

Even though the rain can help Scizor resist some fire-type attack, it'll still be burnt to a crisp by Sunny Day teams. It wouldn't help if an opponent leaves Scizor with a burn, leaving it unable to do anything. If Scizor faces any one of the dangers I've mentioned, it's an instant bailout. No question about it.

Ludicolo.jpg

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Ground
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Leaf Storm
- Ice Beam

- Tera Blast

I had a bit of difficulty planning what my sixth team member should so I went to my Kitakami PokeDex and saw that Ludicolo is the best possible option. I chose it as an all-out attacker with Swift Swim and great type coverage. I want to make sure the opponents are worn down enough so that Ludicolo can bash them all down. It shouldn't be underestimated as it can carry a pack of surprises with both Hydro Pump and Leaf Storm.

As an all-out special attacker, Ludicolo can stumble against Eviolite, special walls and Assault Vest users. Chansey, Blissey and Assault Vest Goodra are prime examples. Since it relies heavily on rain, I have to make sure the weather doesn't change or else Ludicolo wouldn't perform as much as it would. You know what they say: A plant needs water to live a healthy life.

- TEAM OVERVIEW -

This Rain Dance team to me is strong but I do think it needs some improvements to increase its' potential. The one things I do know this team can struggle with is Freeze Dry. Four of my Pokemon are weak against the moves which could leave a devastating impact if things don't go my way. Corviknight can also be an issue with its bulk if both Basculin and Manaphy are eliminated from battle, giving me slim chances of victory. Even so, it's still a formidable team and with enough tweaking, it'll bring a maelstrom of trouble to my opponents.

- CONCLUSION -

And that's the team. I remember planning on building a Raince Dance team from Alpha Sapphire but I didn't get around it. So I had a go at making this the best there is to my knowledge. What do you think? Is there anything in the team I need to change to make it perform better? Please let me know. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Until then, have a nice day and happy battling, Trainers! :)

PokePaste version: https://pokepast.es/8dd42c3c118d3b12

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, its a nice rain team you have there, believe it or not, this team suffers from one problem in specific and that is not being fast enough! Because none of your swift swim mons can out speed +1 Iron Valiant, but this can be easily fixable

Big Changes:

:Ludicolo: ----> :Greninja:

The idea of this change is quite simple really, +1 Greninja outspeeds +1 Valiant, this means that once set up, you can clean the game easily,

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Water Shuriken

Water Shuriken provides priority in case you need to finish someone off, Dark Pulse is stab, Grass Knot deals with heavyweight targets like SpD Tera Water Garganacl for example, and you can choose between surf or hydro for power stab. tera water helps boost your water moves

:politoed: -----> :pelipper:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hurricane
- Surf
- U-turn
- Roost

While the idea of Politoed sounds good in paper for the reasons you said, politoed does not have reliable recover, does not have U-turn, does not have a ground immunity, does not have hurricane and has less physical bulk than pelipper. These are the main reasons why pelipper is better overall

Small Changes:

:scizor: consider slotting Thief over Swords Dance to get Gholdengo, allowing you to defog in peace

:gliscor: Consider making gliscor fully specially defensive, since you have some physically bulky mons in pelipper and scizor, making spedef gliscor could potentially give you some defensive relieve

and that's basically it, I hope you like this version of the team more, good luck

Hey, its a nice rain team you have there, believe it or not, this team suffers from one problem in specific and that is not being fast enough! Because none of your swift swim mons can out speed +1 Iron Valiant, but this can be easily fixable

Big Changes:

:Ludicolo: ----> :Greninja:

The idea of this change is quite simple really, +1 Greninja outspeeds +1 Valiant, this means that once set up, you can clean the game easily,

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Water Shuriken

Water Shuriken provides priority in case you need to finish someone off, Dark Pulse is stab, Grass Knot deals with heavyweight targets like SpD Tera Water Garganacl for example, and you can choose between surf or hydro for power stab. tera water helps boost your water moves

:politoed: -----> :pelipper:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hurricane
- Surf
- U-turn
- Roost

While the idea of Politoed sounds good in paper for the reasons you said, politoed does not have reliable recover, does not have U-turn, does not have a ground immunity, does not have hurricane and has less physical bulk than pelipper. These are the main reasons why pelipper is better overall

Small Changes:

:scizor: consider slotting Thief over Swords Dance to get Gholdengo, allowing you to defog in peace

:gliscor: Consider making gliscor fully specially defensive, since you have some physically bulky mons in pelipper and scizor, making spedef gliscor could potentially give you some defensive relieve

and that's basically it, I hope you like this version of the team more, good luck
Thank you so much for your help! I now know what I have to do. Why didn't I think of Greninja before?

Quick rate here, 1LDK did a decent job of rating alr, so I don't want to echo their thoughts.

I would suggest swapping :Gliscor: for :Zapdos:. It does a good job with taking hits, and gives more offense to the team. (you normally want rain to be more HO centric) I'm using a custom spread, as Zapdos will serve as a bulky attacker. 156 speed evs and a speed boosting nature outspeeds everything under 300 speed, and speed creeps 301 speed. You might want to run max speed, but I don't think its worth it to be speed tying with other base 100s like Manaphy. 120 SpA evs always 2HKOs offensive :Kingambit: and the rest of the Evs are poured into Hp for bulk. Hurricane and Thunder are stabs, just hit really hard and can be used to fish for status and confusion. Volt Switch is for offensively pivoting and Roost is for longetivity.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 232 HP / 120 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Roost

And then just some small suggestions, swap Swords Dance on :scizor: for Knock Off, gives more utility in item removal.
And for :manaphy: you should run Stored Power over Ice Beam and Rest over Energy Ball. Rest gives longetivity and in rain you will just be healed to full then wake up thanks you your ability and Stored Power hits really hard and deals with things like :Clodsire:.

If you want a faster swift swimmer, I would suggest :Barraskewda: over :Basculegion:. It outspeeds :booster-energy::iron-valiant: so you can just spam strong rain attacks. This is just a standard :Choice-band: set but you can run :life-orb: for more flexibility.

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Flip Turn
Hope this helps! Go get em! :boi:

Last edited:
Quick rate here, 1LDK did a decent job of rating alr, so I don't want to echo their thoughts.

I would suggest swapping :Gliscor: for :Zapdos:. It does a good job with taking hits, and gives more offense to the team. (you normally want rain to be more HO centric) I'm using a custom spread, as Zapdos will serve as a bulky attacker. 156 speed evs and a speed boosting nature outspeeds everything under 300 speed, and speed creeps 301 speed. You might want to run max speed, but I don't think its worth it to be speed tying with other base 100s like Manaphy. 120 SpA evs always 2HKOs offensive :Kingambit: and the rest of the Evs are poured into Hp for bulk. Hurricane and Thunder are stabs, just hit really hard and can be used to fish for status and confusion. Volt Switch is for offensively pivoting and Roost is for longetivity.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 232 HP / 120 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Roost

And then just some small suggestions, swap Swords Dance on :scizor: for Knock Off, gives more utility in item removal.
And for :manaphy: you should run Stored Power over Ice Beam and Rest over Energy Ball. Rest gives longetivity and in rain you will just be healed to full then wake up thanks you your ability and Stored Power hits really hard and deals with things like :Clodsire:.

Hope this helps! Go get em! :boi:
Thanks for your help. I'll definitely give these changes a go.

Any tips for making a rain team based around using Politoed as the rain set up.

I understand the reasons for switching Politoed for Pelipper but I just really want to make a, rain team with Politoed as the setter.

Unfortunately, not really. Politoed is just less effective than Pelipper all around.

Also, do not use Barraskewda. Keep Basculegion but make it Jolly. Basculegion is better than Skewda in literally every way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)