Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of skipped Gen 3. I stopped playing Pokemon after GSC (even before C actually) when it died out at school/among my friends. I remember smirking at some kids in 7th grade who I saw trading Pokemon cards. I was vaguely aware of the release of RS, but I remember thinking how ugly the legendaries and weird the starters on the boxes looked, so I never even considered buying them.

At some point I stumbled across Colosseum, though unlike RS I actually picked up a copy. I think it was the nostalgia of seeing some familiar Pokemon on the box cover (Espeon & Umbreon, Legendary Dogs, and the Johto Starters) that convinced me to go for it. Needless to say I became hooked. Since I had last played Pokemon the internet had developed significantly, and I quickly realized how much depth the game had. I think Colosseum was the perfect mix of old and new, because I soon picked up Ruby, LG, and eventually Emerald, and I loved them all.

It probably was a mistake on Nintendo's part to make such a clean cut from the original two games; I really don't think I would have ever gotten back into Pokemon had it not been for the familiar faces on Colosseum.

Yeah dudes you're not getting the comic.

People didn't skip the third gen as such or hate it because of the game itself, but it's because of the ages of everyone who played it. Kids my age got R/B/Y back when they came out, then all got G/S/C and soon when R/S/E came out we were all just starting at secondary school where everyone's trying to be 'cool' and 'hard'.

Kids try to dissociate from what they relate to their childhood to look mature to their peers (by this I'm referring to 11-13 year olds who think they're grown up and should be treated as adults, and the like). It worked pretty similar to homophobia actually, with a lot of closet Pokémon players and chastising of anyone seen to be playing Pokémon. All the 'tough guys' would come over to me and my geek friends and try to take the piss out of us for being "Pokémon-playing losers" etc, and it was a similar story for a lot of people my age who were playing the third gen. And yeah almost everyone who did this was a closet Pokémon player... one guy in particular I went to his party and he'd actually hidden his sapphire version in a drawer so other people didn't see it.

The fourth gen meanwhile came about when we were all getting older and actually becoming mature dudes. People got over 'Poképhobia' and would actually play the games openly, having trades and battles at school (though often with the older games).

It's not so much to do with the games themselves, but the comic's describing how typically 11-16 year old boys go into a "Pokémon closet" and shun anyone who openly plays the games then go home and spend the night having a good time with their Charizard. Then as they get older, kids open up to Pokémon again. I mean seriously, I actually got some respect off people when they found out I made top 16 at the nationals. Not even one comment along the lines of "get a life" or "oh my god you sad sad person" like I would have expected... really. The same guys who two years ago would have turned the bully dial up to maximum were pretty impressed and asked me about what kinds of Pokémon I used. Similarly since I play Yu-Gi-Oh, I occasionally get the odd guy my age comes over to have a look in genuine interest, then go all nostalgic if they see my original print Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Yeah it's an amazing Timmy dragon deck, blue eyes ultimate dragon, majestic star dragon, the works but that's irrelevant.

So yeah tl;dr: Third gen isn't hated because of the game itself, but rather because at the time kids aged 11-16 were very hostile to Pokémon as a whole and it was very difficult to play with other people aside from siblings and fellow nerds.

Similarly older kids don't love fourth gen because of the game itself but because they grew up with the older gens and aren't afraid to admit they love Pokémon any more.

That is the message of the comic.

I 100% agree with that. That is definitely the message of that comic. It is not saying anything about RSE good or bad.

That said, I feel that RSE has the best ingame play. I get that you couldn't transfer your old teams forward from GSC, which I'm sure was annoying for many of you, but what stands out for me in RSE is the gyms. They were carefully constructed in anticipation of what strategies you would use to beat them.

For example, Electrike was available very early in the game, so many teams had a Manectric. As such, Wallace had a powerful Whiscash which he would send out early. Wattson was placed early, before any viable Ground-type attackers were available, since you needed his badge in order to use Rock Smash and get Geodude. Plus, two of his Pokemon were Steel-type, which meant they resisted nearly any attack you could access at that point unless you took the Fire-type starter (in which case you already took your lumps when you fought Roxanne). The whole sequence of wild Pokemon available relative to the challenges presented was meticulously laid-out. Even the NPC names were the most clever of any game. I was repeatedly and consistently impressed with how much thought had been put into each step of the experience. D/P was a huge disappointment in this regard.

Tbh D/P story wise is the worst. RB is the original, GS has you going back and forth and two bloody lands to visit and RS had new bad guys (And they were different depending on your version), new places and amazing graphics at the time. DP's story is just some kid against some bug obsessed Heaven's Gate (look it up, they had the weird space obsession and bowl cuts also mass suicide) and the least in-game pokemon (well RB had the same amount but they were the only existing ones).
I've started playing Ruby again and it's just so much more fun than Diamond (Then again Diamond would be fun to play if it wasn't slow as hell).

A new move: Lazerbeam - base 100 power, will become one type randomly each time fired. It will be given to the new legendary mon: lazerz. I will nickname it Imma firin mah lazaerz

I kind of skipped Gen 3. I stopped playing Pokemon after GSC (even before C actually) when it died out at school/among my friends. I remember smirking at some kids in 7th grade who I saw trading Pokemon cards. I was vaguely aware of the release of RS, but I remember thinking how ugly the legendaries and weird the starters on the boxes looked, so I never even considered buying them.

At some point I stumbled across Colosseum, though unlike RS I actually picked up a copy. I think it was the nostalgia of seeing some familiar Pokemon on the box cover (Espeon & Umbreon, Legendary Dogs, and the Johto Starters) that convinced me to go for it. Needless to say I became hooked. Since I had last played Pokemon the internet had developed significantly, and I quickly realized how much depth the game had. I think Colosseum was the perfect mix of old and new, because I soon picked up Ruby, LG, and eventually Emerald, and I loved them all.

It probably was a mistake on Nintendo's part to make such a clean cut from the original two games; I really don't think I would have ever gotten back into Pokemon had it not been for the familiar faces on Colosseum.
Oh my God this is exactly what happened me. I remember my cousin bought Colosseum (because he had a Gamecube and I guess he'd played the 3 other games that were released for it) and I was like, "Seriously? Pokémon?" I played it for like 10 minutes because I was bored and then the next thing I knew I had my own Gamecube and my own Colosseum. I also ended up stealing my brother's gba and Ruby to trade with. But after that I stopped playing again, I wasn't even aware of the Kanto remakes until 2008, even after DP was released.

I didn't really have "Poképhobia" though I just had, "I'm over that syndrome." So I ended up playing Emerald directly after I played LeafGreen and replayed Crystal and I still think it was the worst. It felt so.. blocky? I don't know why I hated it all I know is half the time I was playing it I was thinking, "Why the hell am I playing this." Oh, I remember figuring out the first Regi puzzle, thinking it would be some amazing Pokémon or some unbelievable cool new area with tons of new Pokémon and then I got Registeel. A characterless block of metal. DPP did a lot better.

A new move: Lazerbeam - base 100 power, will become one type randomly each time fired. It will be given to the new legendary mon: lazerz. I will nickname it Imma firin mah lazaerz
That's actually kind of funny because about 20 minutes ago while writing my study guide for my laser-induced ultrasonic testing exam, I wrote down the word "laserbeam" and thought to myself, "I wonder why they never used that as a Pokemon move?"

Not really... I tried to hide my gaming, all of it and not just Pokemon, from others, and I still lost interest in Pokemon around that time. When DP came out I was a junior in high school (wow its been a while).

I think I too had stopped playing Pokemon around when RS were released. At that point I was into Final Fantasy in a big way. I didn't even own a GBA until 03/04 I think. It was only last year, in february or march I think, that I bought Emerald.

People didn't skip the third gen as such or hate it because of the game itself, but it's because of the ages of everyone who played it. Kids my age got R/B/Y back when they came out, then all got G/S/C and soon when R/S/E came out we were all just starting at secondary school where everyone's trying to be 'cool' and 'hard'.
1000% agree on this, on my school it was just ridiculous, people making fun of others for playing pokemon and, what they used to do at home? Play some pokemon on emulators of course (or gameboy for those who had one)....

I doubt most people who spoke about skipping RSE were commenting on the comic.
I sure as hell wasn't.

As far as Generation V is concerned, one thing Nintendo always gives us is another take on the buffing move.
Generation II introduced Curse and Belly Drum whereas III introduced Calm Mind and Dragon Dance.
So far, all drawback free buffing moves give at most +2 over all stats per use.

I honestly wonder where they'll go with stat boosting.
These are moves that define movesets even more than the damaging ones.
Generation IV gave us the wacky Acupressure so I can hardly guess what they'll come up with.
I noticed they have been stretching the distribution of Dragon Dance to the limit (while still snubbing Flygon).
So a variant of Dragon Dance for Pokemon that can't hope to pass as Dragons might be on the cards.

I honestly wonder where they'll go with stat boosting.
These are moves that define movesets even more than the damaging ones.
Generation IV gave us the wacky Acupressure so I can hardly guess what they'll come up with.
I noticed they have been stretching the distribution of Dragon Dance to the limit (while still snubbing Flygon).
So a variant of Dragon Dance for Pokemon that can't hope to pass as Dragons might be on the cards.
Special baised DD ftw? (id love to see that for things like gengar and starmie)

I am hoping for a Curse variant for non-ghost types.
+1 Sp.Atk +1 Sp.Def -1 Speed.

This might have been posted before, but I realy don't feel like reading 195 pages to see if some one did.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

This might have been posted before, but I realy don't feel like reading 195 pages to see if some one did.
You mean like a worse Calm Mind?

EDIT: I may as well contribute to the speculation.

How about a move like +1 Atk +1 SpD or +1 SpA +1 Def? Those would be very useful for like likes of Hippowdon and Blissey who tend to wall and attack on the same side of the spectrum. They would become mixed tanks of sorts.

Just as how Curse is inferior to Bulk Up, this would be inferior to Calm Mind, which is already rather widespread.
Almost all the +2 and +1/1 boosts are done.
Swords Dance
Iron Defense
Agility
Nasty Plot
Amnesia
Dragon Dance
Stockpile/Cosmic Power
Bulk Up
Calm Mind
The only ones missing are + ATK/SPATK, +ATK/SPDEF, +SPATK/DEF and + Speed/SPATK I dont think the first is really needed - a mixed sweeper would get a HUGE moveslot syndrome, the second and third seem rather redundant as well, but the last one is definitely wanted.

What would be the best typing for Special Curse? Presumably it makes sense for it to be a traditionally special type, with the members and moves to use it. It also ought to have as little overlap with Calm Mind as possible. Finally it needs to 'make sense' thematically.

I think Grass might work well. The only Grass-type that gets Calm Mind is Celebi. The type could certainly use something to make it more worthwhile. There are some good candidate users I reckon (Eggy, Cacturne, Tangrowth, Sunflora, Cradily, Wormadam). The type does currently lack a really good special, but maybe Gen 5 could provide one (or just bump the power of Energy Ball). Thematically it could be based around growth or rooting, which would make sense for boosting power and lowering speed.

What would be the best typing for Special Curse? Presumably it makes sense for it to be a traditionally special type, with the members and moves to use it. It also ought to have as little overlap with Calm Mind as possible. Finally it needs to 'make sense' thematically.

I think Grass might work well. The only Grass-type that gets Calm Mind is Celebi. The type could certainly use something to make it more worthwhile. There are some good candidate users I reckon (Eggy, Cacturne, Tangrowth, Sunflora, Cradily, Wormadam). The type does currently lack a really good special, but maybe Gen 5 could provide one (or just bump the power of Energy Ball). Thematically it could be based around growth or rooting, which would make sense for boosting power and lowering speed.
I'm more for a special version of Dragon Dance (SpcAtt and Speed up) for Grass-types that are flower-like (Vileplume, Bellossom, Meganium, Sunflora, Cherrim, Roserade...maybe Jumpluff, maybe). Look at Meganium's stats and look at Altaria's. If Meganium gets a move like this, it'll be like the special Altaria but more defensive and offensive. I would call the move Sugarcoat, like the style of vegetables you have during Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I'd have to agree with a boosting move which increases both Special Attack and Speed. So many physically dominant pokemon run around in the current metagame, and this would give special sweepers a little more edge. That, and special priority. But then physical sweepers wouldn't have anything to brag about, since they miss out on Hidden Power.

Well a physical equivalent of Hidden Power would be nice. Trouble is, Game Freak probably think it exists and is called Natural Gift :-(
Even though you have to sacrifice a good item for a move you only move once, those Liechi Berry Aggrons are crazy with Natural Gift.

I believe that this is going to be pokemon Generation 5. I HOPE that casual and competetive battling wont change too much. I believe that the coming of Zoroark will rock the world of OU though, and might be an equal competitor on your team as a tyranitar! I am disapointed that the game won't be on the DS3D. I also wish that they could have come out with the game a little later, IDK, spring 2012 maybe. I also hope that Red will make another apearance, and have all lv100 pokemon. It would be cool if Team rocket and galactic and a new team all came together as well. I mean, I liked team rocket alot, and galactic, but think we need a new antagonist as well.

it IS gen 5, zoroark might become a standard pursuit user but who knows? the game is for both ds and ds3d and for god sake please dont ask to bring team rocket back, i am sick tired of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)