Pokémon you keep noncompetitively

I'm a hoarder. I have to have at least one of each evolutionary line. . . I also keep replica Pokemon for sentimental reasons, if they're shitty and from previous play-throughs.

Oddly, many of my utility mons have been wondertraded to me and I'm quite fond of them.

I have a japanese Vileplume I use as a sweet scenter, she's now level 89, lol.

Another favorite is my french Linoone I use for pickup and to steal heart scales from Luvdisc.

My german Bisharp I use for hunting shinies, as he has false swipe.

And my japanese Malamar I've used for chain fishing.

I'd like to think that the people that wondertraded me them would be happy I use them so much :)

Last edited:
Every single team I've used in-game. I have one for every starter and I end up using them against my friends in competitive battles because I'm a sentimental twat.
At least I was lucky enough for my Infernape to be lonely nature with an Attack IV of 29.

Reactions: JES
i have a lvl 100 Smeargle with fly, sweet scent, Hold back, and Rock slide to catch safari mons and ev train in hordes and a talon flame to hatch eggs and fly to kiloude

I already own all 718 pokemon individually so I don't necessarily need any other utility mons, all I do is breed

Last edited:
I keep my team that I used in game as well as any legendaries, shinies, and gift Pokémon I receive over the course of the play through. I also keep a box of "utility" Pokémon as well including a Venusaur with Pokerus and sweet scent and a couple other infected mons with spread moves for easy EV training. I keep a Pokémon with the frisk/thief combo and also a false swiping Scyther for catching mons. I also keep Synchronize Pokemon for nature hunting and a Trace Ralts for ability hunting. :D

I rarely release my Pokémon I have just cause I want one, Pokémon I used on my team, or those who have some use. I do tend to release those that are just failed breeding attempts...which I will do more often once I run out of room in Bank.
Also, you shouldn't release your old teammates even after you breed better versions since you can mess with their movesets for other jobs and take advantage of their high levels. For example, I took Shellshocker, my Y Blastoise, and I changed his moveset to Surf, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Blizzard so he can be used to easily hit anything for Horde Training.
Also, my Denenne happened to hit level 100 and got me an extra Leftovers with Pickup, so, yeah, he's awesome for that.

This I'm a little confused about. In what post-game situation is Teleport superior to Fly?
I also have a Teleport Gardevoir that I use for EV training and to look for abilities in the FS. It's not superior to Fly, but it accomplishes the same thing without constantly needing a Bird-mon (or Fly Smeargle). I would also like to say that Teleport has a slightly faster animation, but it doesn't matter at all. Besides, isn't the whole point of this thread about 'mons that we keep for reasons other than usefulness/competitiveness?

EDIT:
Now I remember, Teleport also doubles as a way to escape wild battles (stupid Arena Trap Trapinch). Sure, you can just kill the 'mon, but... but Teleport is kewl.

Oh I know, it's just in the context he was speaking he seemed to be listing Pokémon he kept around for in-game usefulness.

Well I have my ingame team and the Talonflame for hatching purposes XD

And I keep all the good Iv spread pokemon I get from Masuda Method...I think I have now 6 boxes of Riolus in pokebank and 3 of Magikarps and at least two with bold Eevees...

And I have not quite competitive shinies:
A modest torrent squirtle with 31/X/31/31/31/X
A keen eye Rufflet with X/31/31/X/31/31
a bold Eevee with 31/31/31/31/31/X

And I have not quite competitive shinies:
A modest torrent squirtle with 31/X/31/31/31/X
I'd say that's still definitely usable. Mega Blastoise doesn't care about it's base form's ability, nor does it care about Physical Attack or Speed.

My boxes are great. My first one is named 1-30 the 2nd 31-60 and so on. I'm about halfway done having one of every evolutionary stage of every pokemon.

I have bred 5IV/6IV versions of some of my favourite Pokemon (with the abilities, natures and egg moves I desire) whether they are competitively viable or not.

This includes: Charizard, Blastoise, Arbok, Ninetales, Arcanine, Alakazam, Machamp, Gengar, Hitmonlee, Lapras, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Snorlax, Dragonite, Zapdos, Mewtwo, Mew, Feraligatr, Crobat, Lanturn, Ampharos, Espeon, Umbreon, Steelix, Scizor, Houndoom, Kingdra, Donphan, Hitmontop, Raikou, Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Sceptile, Blaziken, Aggron, Manectric, Absol, Metagross, Latios, Groudon, Rayquaza, Luxray, Electivire, Gliscor, Gallade, Krookodile, Genesect, Greninja, Talonflame, Pangoro, Noivern and Yveltal.

Some of those are Utility Pokemon:

Talonflame: Flame Body, Fly, Thief.
Pangoro: Scrappy, False Swipe, Rock Smash, Cut, Surf

HM Slaves are top priority, most notable on gen 6 is the sweet scent coupled with petal blizzard for easy horde EV training. I also keep a few high leveled pickup pokemon to take advantage of getting free items while I'm at it.

edit: I also keep random caught shinies because of their value (as a shiny).

I replayed Platinum, and kept a Gastly for contests. It managed to win Ultra Rank Tough Contest. Then I decided to try other types of contest, and failed miserably.

I just remember another non-competitive Pokémon I keep: Trevenant. This particular one I caught while in Route 20. It has the ability Frisk. Combined with Thief, it is perfect for getting me Heart Scales from Luvdisc and more.
I also often use Psyduck as an HM Slave due to it's great movepool. In fact, I will trade one over to ORAS when it comes out (instead of waiting till the Safari Zone). Actually, to anyone playing the original Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, I recommend Psyduck highly since it can learn all 5 of the moves needed to navigate Victory Road. Since you have likely taught Surf to a major team member, just use Psyduck for the rest of it.

lol I'm looking at the stuff people keep.

I keep my in-game team, Talonflame for Fly+Flame Body, a Sweet Scenter, and a Pokerus mon. Sometimes I use different mons for the last couple roles.

Unlike most people I never keep Shinies. Mostly because I've never gotten a competitive one. I just trade them on the GTS. The good thing about Shinies on the GTS is that it's really easy to get super rare mons, as people will pretty much always take my trades. At least, that was true back in Platinum. I haven't learned Pokeradar for XY so I can't get large boxes of shinies anymore. But I still keep that one box of thirty Moltres. Because why not, right?

I can't believe it! I love so much my shiny pokémon that it's impossible to me thinking to trade them on the GTS! In fact, when I'm not shiny hunting, my team is always composed only from shiny mons: I have a shiny sweet center (venusaur), a shiny mon with surf (relicanth), a shiny mon to steal heat scales (pachirisu), a shiny mon that I always keep with me (umbreon), a shiny mon with pokerus (noivern or others) and a lot of other shiny mons, as I have 95 shiny mons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)