ORAS NU Please rate my NU team!! Im still new!

=== [nu] NU ===

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell
- Wish

I thought its bulk and access to wish and heal bell were super useful. Calm Mind makes it more specially defensive, though I feel this move is the least useful, since I tend to switch it in when I need to use heal bell or wish and maybe get off a few dazzling gleams but I have yet to use CM.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

I intended this mon to be a good wall also had offensive presence. Knock off is for almost anything that wants to switch in on this, since I cant think of any scenario (bar someone wanting to use acrobatics on archeops or something, which ive never seen anyone really do) and works really well is a ghost type like Mismagius or mons like Xatu try to come in. Ice punch is for coverage. Bullet punch is for cleaning up any mons hanging on by a thread of HP. Close combat for stab and monstrous power.

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Head Smash
- Taunt

This is generally my lead, and I don't like it much. its basically a suicide lead, taunting if I feel the need, stealth rocks, head smash. unless I take no damage then ill switch it out and defog+another set of stealth rocks is need be. overall I want to change this one but I'm not sure how.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

This thing is amazing. defensive mon with Unaware so anything that tries to set up is SOL. Toxic cripples those setup mons if they choose to switch out, plus I can stall out more wall-esque mons with toxic+recover+damaging move. Quagsire puts in amazing work, and can take a bunch of hits as well as cripple with burn (if scald works) of toxic

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Special cannon. I'm using specs, but I also used a scarf with great success. the moveset is fairly self explanatory, and the hard thing here is because of the choice item, there is some predicting that is necessary so as not to get locked into a bad move without doing good damage.

Torterra @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed

Mainly a physical hammer. wood hammer hurts anything non resistant and quagsire cant switch into it to well. synthesis and leech seed allow for longevity as well as dealing chip damage with LS. and earthquake is for the second stab and deals hefty damage.

PLEASE HELP WITH ANY POSSIBLE FIXES.

hey dude,

nice team you have here, based off of the ever strong maudino + quagsire combination, you should have no troubles walling 70-80% of the tier. My rate is to help suggest a few changes to make sure you arent weak to some of the following mons, and build a much more effective, stall based team. Right off the bat, Fighting Types such as Sawk are unresisted by your team, often meaning they will CC their way right through audino and quagsire, and the subsequent mons remaining in your core. Similar story with flying and normal types, like swellow and tauros are unresisted, and will eventually tear through your defensive core. Water Types such as Samurott are painful to take on, but apart from those concerns, you have a nice core capable of walling a lot of the meta.
Im gonna echo your sentiments on Focus Sash Lead Archeops, it really doesnt fit the playstyle of the team which is Bulky Offense leaning into Stall, so this is gonna be the first mon im gonna replace. Instead we are gonna add a defogger capable of beating fighting types, so you also have a chance vs spike stacking teams, considering all your team is grounded bar your antilead, Archeops, which is dieing in the first 5 turns anyway. As a result, im going to suggest, Defog Pelipper > Archeops. This is because Pelipper is an excellent switchin versus the likes of Sawk, has the Defog capabilities needed to beat Spike Stacking Teams as well as maintaining your ground resist. It also serves as a great physical damage pivot thanks to access to U-Turn. Scald for burning stuff which is a good to have on stall.
My next swap intends to remedy your Normal / Flying Weakness. Tank Rhydon > Torterra would be ideal here, since its one of the bulkiest normal / flying resists in the tier, it also has access to stealth rock (and the capability to beat Xatu and get rocks up, which is essential on stall teams) a great Dual Stab and a free last moveslot. In this case, you could chose between Megahorn / Toxic or Protect. Megahorn to hit Malamars, EdgeQuake resists and Roost Stalling Xatu, Toxic to beat the usual bulky water / grass switchins on the long run, or a more niche option in protect, so that Sawk doesnt make mindless 50/50 plays with Pelipper being your main switchin. It isnt as defined as the other two, however it might be useful considering that Stone Edge 2hkoes Pelipper with ease, a protect forces Sawk into clicking CC if it wants to force Rhydon out.

Onto a couple of set changes, Curse > Toxic on Quagsire because it is essential you beat Malamar. The standard Toxic set gets PP Stalled by Resttalk Malamar and the consequences are bad for your team. Finally, a standard Assault Vest Vital Spirit Magmortar > Current set is crucial if you dont want to lose to be as weak as you are to lilligant. To add to this Specs on Mag is ineffecient, since it can easily break its walls down with its fantastic coverage options, as apposed to currently, where you get walled by whatever resists the move you are locked into.

Pelipper @ Leftovers / Charti Berry (to beat Rhydons)
Ability: Rain Dish
Bold Nature
- U-Turn
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn / Toxic / Protect

Curse > Toxic on Quagsire

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Psychic / Flame Charge / Whatever

sweet team bro, hope i helped :]
~HJAD

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wish CM Audino / Hariyama / Sash Archeops / Quagsire / Specs Magmortar / Tank Torterra

Hey there, the biggest issue I see with your team is that many of the ideas you're putting together simply don't mesh with each other. Many of the roles your compressing onto your Pokemon are either redundant or simply unnecessary. Just to lay out a couple of examples:
  • Like HJAD touched on above, lead Archeops really sticks out like a sore thumb given the heavily bulky nature of the team, as well as compressing far too many important roles onto it: considering the massive weakness to basically every entry common hazard, it's not an ideal Defogger with how early in the match it's going to be knocked out.
  • Stacking two Ground-types in Quagsire and Torterra is rather awkward in terms of synergy, their typings and roles clash in terms of stacking weaknesses and put too much emphasis on checking a smaller group of threats, opening up bigger holes to different threats.
  • Although I would agree with HJAD that AV Magmortar would fit better on the team than Specs, it also becomes rather redundant with Hariyama in that they're both bulky offensive Fire + Ice resists, and like I said I feel like this mindset isn't accounting well for the large amount of general threats in the tier.
With all of that in mind, I think the main changes you should make to start with are to switch Magmortar's set to Assault Vest, drop Torterra, drop Hariyama, and change Archeops to an offensive set. HJAD is mostly right about the type weaknesses your team currently suffers from, but the actual changes he makes to fix them just make the team too slow. Even for a bulkier team like yours, I still think the team is more geared towards balance, which also includes more offensive mons and Speed. By keeping Archeops but making it an itemless offensive set, your team can maintain a fast and strong attacker to revenge kill slower stuff that's too much for your defensive core to handle. For what to run on Archeops, check out this link.

From there, if you do go through with my changes, you're left with a combination of Audino | Quagsire | Archeops | Magmortar. Obviously this leaves you with two extra slots, and from there I'm going to leave a list of the threats I feel is most important for you to cover in those slots:
  • Fighting-type resist
  • Psychic-type check (especially CM Psychics)
  • Water-type resist
  • Stealth Rock
  • A form of hazard removal
So to at least semi-cover all of those, what I'd recommend in those last two slots is running Shiftry + defensive Mesprit, with Shiftry soft-checking Water-types and CM Psychics while giving Defog support, while Mesprit covers Fighting-types and sets up Stealth Rock. You could also use Defog on Archeops if you don't want to use it on Shiftry, but I'll let you decide.
@ Life Orb | Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA | Naughty
Knock Off | Sucker Punch | Leaf Storm | Defog (however if you go with Defog on Archeops then replace Leaf Storm and Defog with Swords Dance and Seed Bomb)

@ Leftovers -or- Colbur Berry | Levitate
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe | Bold
Stealth Rock | Psychic | U-turn | Thunder Wave

Lastly, what I wanted to cover is that a majority of the sets are a bit suboptimal; the Smogon Dex is a great resource to go to for the most optimal sets to run on a Pokemon. But just for clarity's sake, the main set that hasn't been covered already is Audino's, where I'd strongly recommend running Protect (over either Calm Mind or Heal Bell).

Apologies for such a massive post, but hopefully this was of help to you! If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU GUYS. Okay, so I have a few questions for both of you to get an idea of how you suggest to better my team. I absolutely love the depth of your respective responses (pokemon to me is an excellent strategy game and my childhood, so to see others as into it as me and so willing to help me in more competitive play is so wonderful). Okay, so I will make replies to each and post them shortly

hey dude,

nice team you have here, based off of the ever strong maudino + quagsire combination, you should have no troubles walling 70-80% of the tier. My rate is to help suggest a few changes to make sure you arent weak to some of the following mons, and build a much more effective, stall based team. Right off the bat, Fighting Types such as Sawk are unresisted by your team, often meaning they will CC their way right through audino and quagsire, and the subsequent mons remaining in your core. Similar story with flying and normal types, like swellow and tauros are unresisted, and will eventually tear through your defensive core. Water Types such as Samurott are painful to take on, but apart from those concerns, you have a nice core capable of walling a lot of the meta.
Im gonna echo your sentiments on Focus Sash Lead Archeops, it really doesnt fit the playstyle of the team which is Bulky Offense leaning into Stall, so this is gonna be the first mon im gonna replace. Instead we are gonna add a defogger capable of beating fighting types, so you also have a chance vs spike stacking teams, considering all your team is grounded bar your antilead, Archeops, which is dieing in the first 5 turns anyway. As a result, im going to suggest, Defog Pelipper > Archeops. This is because Pelipper is an excellent switchin versus the likes of Sawk, has the Defog capabilities needed to beat Spike Stacking Teams as well as maintaining your ground resist. It also serves as a great physical damage pivot thanks to access to U-Turn. Scald for burning stuff which is a good to have on stall.
My next swap intends to remedy your Normal / Flying Weakness. Tank Rhydon > Torterra would be ideal here, since its one of the bulkiest normal / flying resists in the tier, it also has access to stealth rock (and the capability to beat Xatu and get rocks up, which is essential on stall teams) a great Dual Stab and a free last moveslot. In this case, you could chose between Megahorn / Toxic or Protect. Megahorn to hit Malamars, EdgeQuake resists and Roost Stalling Xatu, Toxic to beat the usual bulky water / grass switchins on the long run, or a more niche option in protect, so that Sawk doesnt make mindless 50/50 plays with Pelipper being your main switchin. It isnt as defined as the other two, however it might be useful considering that Stone Edge 2hkoes Pelipper with ease, a protect forces Sawk into clicking CC if it wants to force Rhydon out.

Onto a couple of set changes, Curse > Toxic on Quagsire because it is essential you beat Malamar. The standard Toxic set gets PP Stalled by Resttalk Malamar and the consequences are bad for your team. Finally, a standard Assault Vest Vital Spirit Magmortar > Current set is crucial if you dont want to lose to be as weak as you are to lilligant. To add to this Specs on Mag is ineffecient, since it can easily break its walls down with its fantastic coverage options, as apposed to currently, where you get walled by whatever resists the move you are locked into.

Pelipper @ Leftovers / Charti Berry (to beat Rhydons)
Ability: Rain Dish
Bold Nature
- U-Turn
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn / Toxic / Protect

Curse > Toxic on Quagsire

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Psychic / Flame Charge / Whatever

sweet team bro, hope i helped :]
~HJAD
I love these ideas, now I always thought you couldn't repeat items (but maybe that's not for all competitive play or I'm just wrong?). If so, what would you suggest i do as far as my Hariyama is concerned, where it also has Assault Vest (as you suggest i run my Magmortar with AV).

i love the idea of pelliper, i will definitely try it out. sawk has been a little bit of a problem.

rhydon seems like a good idea. it never occurred to me to put eviolite on it and use it is a massive tank.

overall, i love all of your ideas and i feel using them would make for a very powerful bulky stall/offensive team, which is a playstyle that definitely appeals to me with the mons available in this tier.

my main question here is basically the whole item dealio with Hariyama and Magmortar.

Last edited:
Wish CM Audino / Hariyama / Sash Archeops / Quagsire / Specs Magmortar / Tank Torterra

Hey there, the biggest issue I see with your team is that many of the ideas you're putting together simply don't mesh with each other. Many of the roles your compressing onto your Pokemon are either redundant or simply unnecessary. Just to lay out a couple of examples:
  • Like HJAD touched on above, lead Archeops really sticks out like a sore thumb given the heavily bulky nature of the team, as well as compressing far too many important roles onto it: considering the massive weakness to basically every entry common hazard, it's not an ideal Defogger with how early in the match it's going to be knocked out.
  • Stacking two Ground-types in Quagsire and Torterra is rather awkward in terms of synergy, their typings and roles clash in terms of stacking weaknesses and put too much emphasis on checking a smaller group of threats, opening up bigger holes to different threats.
  • Although I would agree with HJAD that AV Magmortar would fit better on the team than Specs, it also becomes rather redundant with Hariyama in that they're both bulky offensive Fire + Ice resists, and like I said I feel like this mindset isn't accounting well for the large amount of general threats in the tier.
With all of that in mind, I think the main changes you should make to start with are to switch Magmortar's set to Assault Vest, drop Torterra, drop Hariyama, and change Archeops to an offensive set. HJAD is mostly right about the type weaknesses your team currently suffers from, but the actual changes he makes to fix them just make the team too slow. Even for a bulkier team like yours, I still think the team is more geared towards balance, which also includes more offensive mons and Speed. By keeping Archeops but making it an itemless offensive set, your team can maintain a fast and strong attacker to revenge kill slower stuff that's too much for your defensive core to handle. For what to run on Archeops, check out this link.

From there, if you do go through with my changes, you're left with a combination of Audino | Quagsire | Archeops | Magmortar. Obviously this leaves you with two extra slots, and from there I'm going to leave a list of the threats I feel is most important for you to cover in those slots:
  • Fighting-type resist
  • Psychic-type check (especially CM Psychics)
  • Water-type resist
  • Stealth Rock
  • A form of hazard removal
So to at least semi-cover all of those, what I'd recommend in those last two slots is running Shiftry + defensive Mesprit, with Shiftry soft-checking Water-types and CM Psychics while giving Defog support, while Mesprit covers Fighting-types and sets up Stealth Rock. You could also use Defog on Archeops if you don't want to use it on Shiftry, but I'll let you decide.
@ Life Orb | Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA | Naughty
Knock Off | Sucker Punch | Leaf Storm | Defog (however if you go with Defog on Archeops then replace Leaf Storm and Defog with Swords Dance and Seed Bomb)

@ Leftovers -or- Colbur Berry | Levitate
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe | Bold
Stealth Rock | Psychic | U-turn | Thunder Wave

Lastly, what I wanted to cover is that a majority of the sets are a bit suboptimal; the Smogon Dex is a great resource to go to for the most optimal sets to run on a Pokemon. But just for clarity's sake, the main set that hasn't been covered already is Audino's, where I'd strongly recommend running Protect (over either Calm Mind or Heal Bell).

Apologies for such a massive post, but hopefully this was of help to you! If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
you actually were very helpful in making sure that everything you suggested i drop you gave a possible replacement or at least what to think about in a replacement (not to say the previous commenter did not, he/she was wonderful, it is entirely my being slightly newer to competitive battling and the rules/clauses.)

protect on audino!!!!! yes!!!! i am definitely making that change, note even a second thought. shiftry is a curious choice, at least for me, as i never thought of it. i like the idea of a psychic check and everything else it has to offer. defensive mespirit is something i considered but never really thought of a good way to make it fit. i like the idea of making it a rock setter and access to U-turn seems very useful.

this is something i will try, as you and HJAD seem to have slightly different ideas on teams here and both make me very excited to try them out. thank you so much for all your suggestions!!

I love these ideas, now I always thought you couldn't repeat items (but maybe that's not for all competitive play or I'm just wrong?). If so, what would you suggest i do as far as my Hariyama is concerned, where it also has Assault Vest (as you suggest i run my Magmortar with AV).

i love the idea of pelliper, i will definitely try it out. sawk has been a little bit of a problem.

rhydon seems like a good idea. it never occurred to me to put eviolite on it and use it is a massive tank.

overall, i love all of your ideas and i feel using them would make for a very powerful bulky stall/offensive team, which is a playstyle that definitely appeals to me with the mons available in this tier.

my main question here is basically the whole item dealio with Hariyama and Magmortar.
You can stack items. iirc the only tier you can't is VGC Doubles, which you arent playing :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)