Platinum Ubers RMT

I was itching to try out the new post-Platinum ubers metagame, so I decided to build a new team. I wanted to have a central strategy to the team, and scrolling through the new tutor moves of ubers, I saw Outrage Dialga and was inspired to create this team. After some playtesting, I made some changes and refined it a bit, but I would still appreciate the advice of Smogon's team raters.

Team at a Glance:

Deoxys-F @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- ExtremeSpeed / SuperPower / Taunt

Standard lead, but I needed something that could lay out Stealth Rocks ASAP, and be threatening to the opponent as well. You all know what this does, but I'm debating what I should put in the last slot. ExtremeSpeed is what I have now, because I have a bit of an emphasis on priority moves on this team, and it allows me to take out opposing Deoxys-A who lack ExtremeSpeed. However, with ExtremeSpeed I give Dialga (and Blissey) free switch-ins, which is why I'm considering SuperPower, as I lack a solid counter for both. SuperPower would also help against Darkrai. Taunt would make this more of a suicide lead, which I think is better suited to Deoxys-E, but it would allow me to set up Stealth Rocks up more easily, and beat other common leads such as Mew.

Dialga @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 36 Spe / 252 Atk / 220 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Overheat

This is the first of my trio of physical Dragons, but also the least useful of the three. Dialga's job is to abuse his resistances early-game to come in and start putting the pressure on the opponent with CB Outrage, although I do scout around a bit with Dragon Claw first. Support/Walling Groudon are outsped and easily 2HKOed with Outrage, and Rock Polish Groudon takes enough damage from Stealth Rocks and Outrage to only allow it 2-3 turns of Life Orb before it goes down. Giratina-O and Giratina-A are easily OHKOed. Standard Lugia takes a minimum of 50% from Outrage, which leaves it at 31% maximum if it switches into Stealth Rocks. Granted, it can then stall out Outrage turns with Roost, but if the RNG is a little high and it's taken a little bit of damage, Lugia will be going down.

Garchomp @ Haban Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Outrage

This is the second of my core of physical Dragon trio. Haban Berry isn't just my way of using YacheChomp in ubers, it serves a specific purpose. Haban Berry allows it to always survive Timid Scarf Dialga's Draco Meteor, which I OHKO with Earthquake or Swords Danced Outrage. This eliminates perhaps the greatest threat to my Rayquaza's sweep. Haban Berry also allows me to beat Groudon more easily, as they always seem to Dragon Claw. Garchomp is just a very powerful Pokemon in ubers, busting through the same walls that Dialga did, but having an easier time with Lugia (Lugia has to be Timid with at least 192 Spe EVs to outspeed Garchomp, and needs at least 212 SpA EVs to guarantee a OHKO with Ice Beam).

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 100 Atk / 176 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Roost

Standard trapper Scizor, but this plays a big role on my team with his powerful priority attack, Bullet Punch. Bullet Punch is very useful as I am emphasizing priority on my team, and this allows it to soften up Darkrai or Rayquaza or some other fast threat so Gengar can revenge-kill it. U-turn is also useful to get my physical Dragon core in for free.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

My uber revenge-killer, and with three advantages over Darkrai: Explosion, Ground immunity, ExtremeSpeed immunity (and to a lesser extent, Toxic and Fighting immunity). The latter is the primary reason why I chose this over Scarf Darkrai, as I would otherwise have a pretty big Swords Dance Rayquaza weakness, but Explosion has proven very useful for its sheer destructive power, and to send in a Dragon for free. Gengar is a very effective check against Mewtwo, Darkrai, Dialga, Rayquaza and Deoxys-A, possibly uber's biggest threats. It's also my answer to opposing Scarfers. I'm considering giving this thing Thunderbolt to help against Darkrai (so I don't have to blow myself up or rely on 70% acc. to do "decent" damage to it) and Kyogre.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge / Earthquake / Waterfall
- Dragon Claw

Finally, the centerpiece of my team. While Garchomp and Dialga are tearing stuff up, Rayquaza watches from the sidelines. When Garchomp and Dialga are finished, Rayquaza comes out and picks off what's left. Uber's Lucario, Swords Dance Rayquaza can sweep in the blink of an eye, and with their physical walls being worn down by Garchomp and Dialga, Rayquaza can usually kill it with a Swords Danced Dragon Claw or a move from moveslot 3, and proceed to sweep with ExtremeSpeed. Currently I have Stone Edge in the third slot because Lugia can handle this team, so Dragon Claw often isn't enough to KO it. Rayquaza wins me the game about half of the time, and Gengar about 1/4 of the time.

Team Strategy

I wanted a team that wasn't just six different Pokemon that perform well in ubers, so I used the tried-and-true tactic of what some might call "Double Dragon", abusing similar Pokemon with a dominating presence to wear down their counters to allow one to sweep. I also have a bit of an emphasis on priority moves, with Scizor being simply invaluable to the team, and Rayquaza's and Deoxys-A's ExtremeSpeed also being very useful to have around, as my team is somewhat slow for an offensive uber team (as Deoxys-A usually isn't sticking around long, and 90-102 range isn't terribly fast).

Discuss.

Great team, but could be really expect less from you?

I'm just going to quickly critique a couple of things;

Deoxys A- Standard, not really anything to say, but definitely go with Extremespeed.

Dialga- Also standard, and you have a pretty good strategy getting it in as well.

Garchomp- Why Haban berry? I'm no ubers expert, but don't more things use Ice attacks over Dragon? The only thing I can really think that would use Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor over Ice Beam would be the L@tis. Also, do you really need Garchomp?

Scizor- Trapper Scizor is overrated, but I guess it can function as your revenge-killer.

Gengar- Not needed on the team, you might want something like CMOgre here instead.

Rayquaza- Yeah, whatever...Late game Sweeping=meh

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would have Superpower with Deoxys so he can destroy Blissey, Tar and Darkrai (and damage Dialga as he swaps in). You'll still have two priority moves.

I would remove the Speed EVs in Scizor, because I rarely see Shedninja and a Focus Sash stops it from being OHKOed anyways, but more importantly, SR OHKOs it. Chances are you'll only see Shedninja on a team with Rapid Spin, so if you take my advice, look out for Forry.

I agree with Rinsting about the Haban berry. Rayquaza and Lati@s with 252 SpcAtt Evs (standard) will OHKO even with the berry. Yache Berry works better, but Specs users can OHKO Chomp with Yache Berry. I would recommend a Life Orb or use him as your Scarfer in place of Gengar (and change his moveset).

You might want ScarfOrge over Gengar because I hate relying on Focus Blast's accuracy for Darkrai. Water Spout OHKOs it. However, Kyorge can be hit by Extremespeed (though it won't be OHKOed by SD Extremespeed without residual damage, and it OHKOs back with Ice Beam)

Scizor can screw over your Deoxys and Gengar, and Bullet Punch Rayquaza whilst sponging an unboosted Extremespeed, though Chomp handles him fine (Dialga may work against you if Kyorge swaps in on his CB Overheat).

OK, first off, Electric + Ice doesn't ALWAYS give you the best coverage. It leaves you less vulnerable to a lot of threats, but Deoxys-a already suffers from four-moveslot syndrome. I would taking out both for Grass Knot, and then put Extremespeed and Superpower in the last two slots. This way you can attempt to take out both opposing Deoxys-a, Palkia, Darkrai, Dialga, Kyogre, Groudon, and even the rare Blissey starters. While the lack of Ice beam leaves you more vulnerable to the Lati@s, they've been getting less and less used as far as I can tell, and even then you have Scizor who comes in and can U-Turn/ Pursuit/ Bullet Punch them.

In that last slot on Rayquaza, I would suggest running Waterfall as this team, running on mostly physical attackers, seems to have trouble getting past Groudon, especially Bulky SD/ Rock Polish versions using Leftovers. If your having as much trouble with Lugia as you say you are, then put in Stone Edge over Dragon Claw to take Lugia. It would be perfect as Lugia usually relies on extremespeed to sweep, and with your jolly nature, the last two slots can be used to hit the other physical dragon's usual counters hard.

I can see this team having problems getting past the offensive combination of Kyogre plus Palkia, especially if either is scarfed. even with SR down, thanks to your Jolly nature on Rayquaza, you lack the ability to OHKO either of them after an SD with Extemespeed using Rayquaza, and with Dialga, being choiced, as your only water resist, you'll get worn down really quickly. In fact, any team that uses weather to their advantage almost manhandles this team, as Rayquaza isn't sturdy enough to be able to take out them all(Ludicolo just takes a hit and Ice Beams, leaving them free to sweep. Shiftry does the same thing, as do a lot of pokemon if you don't get a swords Dance in). This team is also too slow, as any standard uber stall team will massacre you. Basically, after killing the Latias with Scizor, Forretress comes in and now your Stealth Rock is gone. Fine. But now Lugia, being the fast bitch that it is, outspeeds your Garchomp and Reflects, now not even 2HKOed by SDed Outrage. It then can stall with Roost. If layers of spikes or SR are down on your side, your going to have a very painful fight if that Lugia has roar and decides to kill you on residual damage alone. Of course, you could bring in Gengar, but then they bring in Blissey, which commonly carries SR in ubers, leading to more trouble for you. Even if your correctly predict and explode on it, then Lugia still lives and your completely fucked anyway. I suggest using Stone Edge over Fire Fang on Garchomp and also using Choice Specs Kyogre, with 240 HP/ 24 Speed/ 244 Sp. Attack to break down these utterly gay defensive combinations. You really don't have a problem with Lati@s, so I would suggest getting rid of Scizor. Mind you, as long as you don't let them get 2 CMs, you shouldn't be swept anytime soon. Scizor just asks for steels to come in and punish you, setting up entry hazards, Tricking items(metagross), or doing pretty much whatever the fuck they want.

Um.. why would waterfall be 160 base? Air lock removes rain anyways so no boost there, and it gets no stab. explain.

Anyway, this team looks good albeit standard. Gar, I find, is too easily revenge killed himself. Sp. def tar and trapping scizor basically set the score at 5-6 if your opponent packs one or the other. I would put a scarf on dialga, as with a scarf, sd ray is totally owned by it. E-speed is useless and it is outsped and ohkoed.

Grass Knot/ExtremeSpeed/SuperPower would be my preferred combination of moves for Deoxys-F, but I would be afraid of giving Rayquaza free switches. However, usually it comes to revenge-kill me with ExtremeSpeed anyways, so it's not too big of a problem. I'll make the change.

Like you said, Lugia handles my team better than Groudon does, so that's why I'm currently using Stone Edge. Groudon, unless it's the rare RestTalker (which is quite underrated), will have trouble repeatedly switching into my Dragons and Scizor.

Specs Kyogre sounds like a good idea, but I don't know what to get rid of. Scizor isn't just my way of getting rid of Lati@s, it's invaluable for its resistances, scouting, and Bullet Punch, though I suppose that is the most dispensible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)