Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

So far, I can say I've really gotten to love playing Lucio. Of course, with my shitty laptop framerate, he's about the only hero I can play effectively, but I was planning on maining support anyway, so it's not so bad.

As for dealing with Bastion, you have the obvious Genji and Roadhog answers, but if you can get on the same level as him, Reinhardt's charge can get him out of sentry mode and even kill him if you angle it right. I would suggest scouting with the shield first (of course, any Reinhardt with half a brain will be doing that anyway). If you can aim with someone who can do burst damage from distance without an ult (namely, Junkrat or Pharah), that also works. Pretty sure you can kill him faster than he can repair.

I am a huge 76 fan, e is arguably my favorite character. I have played a lot of fps and don't really come from a cod background (CSGO + TF2) but his midrange frontlines run and gun playstyle jells with me. He is also good vs pharah who I swear I see one every other game. Good ways to support his team in things like biotic field. Has his rockets for extra burst damage and they act as a nice finisher to stuff like tanks and tracer. His ult is okay but needs a good setup to get a bigs killstreak. I prefer to use it when there are squishy characters or if the enemy team doesn't see me and I get a successful flank on them.

Mercy - never really liked medic in tf2 but I for some reason really enjoy mercy, perhaps my favorite character in the game when playing with a somewhat competent team.

Genji - I have a lot of fun with this guy and reaper (probably because I mained scout in tf2) There flanking playstyles also kinda go with me too. Reaper is easier to play. Because I play with a lot of people who don't seem to know about genji's reflect existing, great bastion counter.

Reaper - "Get behind the enemy and hit mouse 1 or q, and shift"

As for characters I generally don't like

Mei - I hate her but I also play her more than some characters so take this as you will. She seems like a worse or slightly better pyro from tf2 (w/o airblast other weapons, etc) Mostly because she promotes a w+m1 playstyle and with her its more effective than pyro because she freezes you for like 2 seconds so if your playing a character with a small health pool then you are most likely dead if you get froze if she doesn't pick you her teammates probably will. IMO she seems like a smaller and potentially worse (and "trollier" with ice wall) winston, but she is just a cancer in my opinion and is kinda easy to pick up.

Bastion - Not hard to play is my only gripe with this guy I usually don't struggle with him but he can be a nuisance sometimes (see: bastion on one of the platforms in volskaya industries) I wish they would make him a liittle harder to play with a little more reward without changing his core concept too much.

Widowmaker - Not that I don't like her as a whole but I think that her sniper needs a little bit of a cooldown as from what i've seen from 80% of my killcams of me getting picked by her usually results from rapid bodyshot firing from the widow player, again usually she's alright but I have been up against good player who play her and have gotten shit on pretty hard because they get some good headshots and know how to play her. (This is more of me just bitching about good widowmakers) Kinda like how people who are good with the awp in GSGO are pains to deal with sometimes, we all have our moments.

Characters I think were done right

Trobjorn- Kinda like engi but with a slightly higher skill cap imo. His turrets are easy to kill but will still get you every once and a while and he also doesn't have like a full turtle playstyle and newer players can no longer come in and get these good amount of points for using him. Also no way to receive metal aside from fighting.

Mercy - No overheal, has more mobility options and can get away and to her targets, you have to find the moments where its right to put up damage and when to have heals up and instead of an uber she has resurrection which can save games and is no where near as centralizing as medic's uber is.

Other Characters I like

Roadhog - Underpowered imo but I think he's unique and is like the puff and sting pyro from the old days, he is also good at countering pharah and can beat a lot of the other tanks.

Junkrat - So fun to play I think his physics could be changed a little bit so he pretty much isn't limited to spamming at ground enemies. (Giving his launcher better physics to direct vs air and in general. (This could just be coming from a tf2 standpoint)

Clint Eastwood - Fun asf to play and I am currently trying to get better at him as he requires DM ability to use to an extent.

Lucio - I like him but not as much as mercy, good for fast rollouts on defense and arguably better than her though his ult can cancel a lot of other ults in the game.

So far, I can say I've really gotten to love playing Lucio. Of course, with my shitty laptop framerate, he's about the only hero I can play effectively, but I was planning on maining support anyway, so it's not so bad.

As for dealing with Bastion, you have the obvious Genji and Roadhog answers, but if you can get on the same level as him, Reinhardt's charge can get him out of sentry mode and even kill him if you angle it right. I would suggest scouting with the shield first (of course, any Reinhardt with half a brain will be doing that anyway). If you can aim with someone who can do burst damage from distance without an ult (namely, Junkrat or Pharah), that also works. Pretty sure you can kill him faster than he can repair.
Your right here I have taken out bastions many times playing pharah/rat/hog etc. I don't agree with reinhardt because whenever I play as bastion or see people playing as bation they are usually in a hard place for reinhardt to hit and reinhardt usually has to ult or take a shit ton of damage to beat bastion (Assuming on same ground and charging/normal attacking).

Mei - I hate her but I also play her more than some characters so take this as you will. She seems like a worse or slightly better pyro from tf2 (w/o airblast other weapons, etc) Mostly because she promotes a w+m1 playstyle and with her its more effective than pyro because she freezes you for like 2 seconds so if your playing a character with a small health pool then you are most likely dead if you get froze if she doesn't pick you her teammates probably will. IMO she seems like a smaller and potentially worse (and "trollier" with ice wall) winston, but she is just a cancer in my opinion and is kinda easy to pick up.
Dude Mei is miles better than Pyro. Pyro is by far the weakest TF2 class and his core mechanics are awfully designed. Their close range options both have easy counterplay (don't engage them at point blank) but Mei has a ton more options to affect the battle from far away. Her M2 does a surprising amount of damage if you can hit consistently (the projectile is delayed so it takes time to get used to) and she has a lot of decision making with her wall. The difference from Pyro is not "slight" and she's defintiely not worse.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Mei is bae. The only characters I ever have trouble with when playing her are swordninjaman and good reapers. Otherwise she can solo two heroes pretty well thanks to her self heal and her ability to create walls in order to isolate them. I like playing her long range as its a great way to take out squishies pretty easily.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just downloaded this and its pretty cool. Unfortunately it doesnt run really well on my laptop but I probably just need to go in the options and lower the model quality or something. I played it and it is REALLY similar to tf2 from what I've seen except that its sci-fi and there are more characters. Speaking of which, a character that i find cool is that one girl with the mecha (d. va?). Even if you kill her mecha, she can still kill things with a pistol, which is pretty neat.

Dude Mei is miles better than Pyro. Pyro is by far the weakest TF2 class and his core mechanics are awfully designed. Their close range options both have easy counterplay (don't engage them at point blank) but Mei has a ton more options to affect the battle from far away. Her M2 does a surprising amount of damage if you can hit consistently (the projectile is delayed so it takes time to get used to) and she has a lot of decision making with her wall. The difference from Pyro is not "slight" and she's definitely not worse.
Yes I know pyro isn't that good of a character that might have been me ranting about pyro's afterburn. He's not broken or anything he just has or had some stuff that used to be powerful now he is rarely seen in comp play outside of highlander. I really only played pubs and tf2center. I know that counterplay exits but the thing is that when you play characters that need to get close to do real damage (Scout, Reaper etc.) it can be frustrating of course. I think I hate pyro more than mei in the sense of pyro in pubs due to the old puff and sting I mentioned earlier. I was just annoyed by the now old degreaser + reserve shooter which was stupid in its balancing for pyro, (not so much for soldier) its better now and i'm over it. From a comp standpoint pyro can be bad because it is coordinated team play and in general stuff like highlander is slower and pyro is not very relevant in sixes. Usually because my team at the levels I played at was aware of a lot of things (I played gold 6v6 scout for 2 seasons) and I didn't have to deal with them. I think I played pubs a little too much before getting into comp so i could just be experiencing stuff like random crits and shit like that. He gave me some trouble at first and can frustrate me at times but I know when I am not bitching about him, in the back of my mind I know he is not broken unless a stupid factor such as random crits and I am in a close enough range to him. I guess I just prefer coordinated team play because most of the shit I die from in pubs doesn't always happen because we have heals aside from health packs on our team and I can rely on them more. I wrote that statement before I went to bed last night so it might not reflect what I think about pyro fully.

tl;dr I know pyro isn't relevant in comp, but when I first started played tf2 when he had some dumb combos and I used to get owned by him in my first 10-50 hours of tf2 before I started to get better at classes and I probably have bad memories from them, he kinda just gets me frustrated at times due to crits or certain other things in the non-comp environment. Not trying to turn this into an argument about another game.

Yes I know pyro isn't that good of a character that might have been me ranting about pyro's afterburn. He's not broken or anything he just has or had some stuff that used to be powerful now he is rarely seen in comp play outside of highlander. I really only played pubs and tf2center. I know that counterplay exits but the thing is that when you play characters that need to get close to do real damage (Scout, Reaper etc.) it can be frustrating of course. I think I hate pyro more than mei in the sense of pyro in pubs due to the old puff and sting I mentioned earlier. I was just annoyed by the now old degreaser + reserve shooter which was stupid in its balancing for pyro, (not so much for soldier) its better now and i'm over it. From a comp standpoint pyro can be bad because it is coordinated team play and in general stuff like highlander is slower and pyro is not very relevant in sixes. Usually because my team at the levels I played at was aware of a lot of things (I played gold 6v6 scout for 2 seasons) and I didn't have to deal with them. I think I played pubs a little too much before getting into comp so i could just be experiencing stuff like random crits and shit like that. He gave me some trouble at first and can frustrate me at times but I know when I am not bitching about him, in the back of my mind I know he is not broken unless a stupid factor such as random crits and I am in a close enough range to him. I guess I just prefer coordinated team play because most of the shit I die from in pubs doesn't always happen because we have heals aside from health packs on our team and I can rely on them more. I wrote that statement before I went to bed last night so it might not reflect what I think about pyro fully.

tl;dr I know pyro isn't relevant in comp, but when I first started played tf2 when he had some dumb combos and I used to get owned by him in my first 10-50 hours of tf2 before I started to get better at classes and I probably have bad memories from them, he kinda just gets me frustrated at times due to crits or certain other things in the non-comp environment. Not trying to turn this into an argument about another game.
Airblast is 100% a broken mechanic in TF2, I agree with that. It's the reason Pyro can't get any reasonable buffs.

Just an announcement.
Overwatch open beta is being extended by an extra day, I couldn't be happier about this news.

Asek

Banned deucer.
OK i've played as much as I could over the weekend at home (where my PC is) so now I'm waiting for release + uni finish to play more. Played w. some IRL friends and a little bit w. some smogoners (add blackeey#1974 for games), and i can say this is the most fun I've had playing video games in a long time. There seems to be a strong focus on teamwork and functioning together, whilst also having high ceiling for your individual ability to have a big impact on the game. I am sold on this after playing the beta, and am definitely buying it come release, it was just soooo much fun

Top 5 Heroes I played a fair bit (in order of time)

McCree - hands down best duelist in the game. Had a lot of fun getting behind enemy teams on defense and picking off supports and other offensive characters, FB + FtH is probably a bit too strong tho.. wouldnt be suprised to see a nerf to FB cd.
Lucio - Requires your team to be good for ur ulty to have much of an impact but this guys a lot of fun regardless. Super mobile and awesome to just sit on the payload behind the big boys providing everbody with that heal whilst being able to knock back a flanking reaper / genji. I wish his primary fire was fully automatic tho
Reinhart - Significantly better at performing the tank role than the other tanks imo. Really strong objective player, with the charge being a lot of fun to use. Ulty isnt super powerful individually but is great if you've got a Pharah / McCree w. u to quickly kill the stunned heroes
D.Va - Didn't feel very strong but has a lot more mobility + dmg than a tank should at the cost of utility. The only way for D'Va to really protect her team is through the projectile barrier, she feels like she dies relatively quickly but thats probably because I was playing really offensively w. her.
Hanzo - Yea i know hes prolly just a worst version of widowmaker, but I found him fun. I liked the bow more than widowakers gun due to the charge time (i find it p annoying), and the recon arrows are great for detecting flankers.

Who did you guys enjoy playing in open beta?

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i actually really enjoy playing as tracer despite her low damage output since you actually end up getting a ton of eliminations due to all the chip damage. tracer feels extremely high risk high reward in the way that she's possibly the ultimate poker against defense heroes and tanks, and she actually has a decent matchup against any offense hero as long as recall isn't on cooldown bar mcree if his flashbang lands. even if mei begins to freeze you, just recall out and you essentially have two lives to fight someone with. also the pulse bomb is fun and pretty much guarantees a kill as long as you don't stick a full hp tank hero :(

not including tracer, my top 5 heroes would probably be:

soldier 76 - solid all-round offense hero. doesn't require much team support since he's pretty much able to do anything; he can heal himself + teammates, he has explosives to dent fat tanks and one shot frail offense heroes, and his sprint is probably the greatest asset because he can flank easily, get to choke points faster, and it doesn't run out. his ulti also pretty much guarantees the win in 1v1s against non-tank heroes that aren't mcrees with flashbangs, and it's really fun when your team has co-ordination. one of my friends shielded me with reinhardt as I aimlocked three people to death in a matter of seconds to get the potg and secure the win

mcree - flashbang is literally the best thing in a close quarters 1v1 since the insta-stun basically sets you up for a free FtH on a stationary target. aside from that, it's basically FtH, combat roll, FtH, wait for combat roll to get off cd, rinse and repeat with a pinch of flashbangs. fun as hell, though i think flashbang should be nerfed a little bit; maybe a slightly shorter stun duration? basically a repeat of what Asek is saying; tons of fun flanking and shredding supports / defense heroes and abusing the ulti behind a reinhardt shield

roadhog - hookstun is amazing vs those pesky tracers and speedy offense heroes since you can basically rein them in for a point blank shotgun blast which usually shuts them down. add to that the insta-300hp heal and you're extremely hard to kill if given proper support. his ulti doesn't seem that useful though, but his tank status and damage potential definitely makes up for it

mei - bae. icegun basically shits on anyone close range as you either icicle them in the face for the kill or just wall them off if they're a tank. tracer can't recall or blink if she's frozen, and mcree can't use his flashbangs either. ice wall is amazing in terms of defensive utility, although you might accidentally block a teammate's ulti from hitting or make them miss by boosting them on the wall. the cryo freeze feels kinda meh since half the time you get ganked as soon as you thaw out, but her ulti just acts like a wide range icegun which can definitely buy you and your teammates some valuable time. amazing all-round, especially when you outsnipe a widowmaker long range

junkrat - love the aoe nades which explode on impact. there should not be a instance where you are not spamming his nade launcher, because just by shooting in the general direction they're coming from, it's basically great area denial. concussion mine is really fun to play around with too, since you can set it to explode and kill someone who keeps avoiding the direct impact hits. the steel trap is also pretty cool for watching your back. his ulti is really fun to use since it can climb walls to sneak around the opponents watching for flanks and it can potentially take out full hp tank characters

To give you an idea Mcree pretty much invalidates reaper in most situations reaper has a bigger body though. I would expect mcree to see a nerf on launch Flash+Fan is just too strong due to Flash's most recent buff just a couple of weeks ago.
Reinhardt and winston need to be nerfed or Roadhog and D.Va need to be buffed because tbh Roadhog is ult battery and D.Va is a last point, last resort method to get out of spawn quickly which tracer does arguably better.
Zenyatta needs to get buffed he got his core mechanics of discord and harmony nerfed too much and his health is too low.
Symmetra needs to be buffed as well no more 200 hp tracers was a good change but they need to buff another aspect about her.
Lucio is simply too versatile and is arguably better than mercy in most situations.
I could see pharah being given a buff or nerf.
Junkrat imo, as much as I love him could be tweaked to make him more skillful like boosting his launchers aerial abilities or something instead of making him a spam reliant hero.
76 is well balanced imo.
Zarya is fine where she is for the most part.
Hanzo needs to be buffed so he is not a worse widowmaker.
Genji could get a buff maybe.
Tracer can be good in a lot of situations and I wouldn't be surprised to see a nerf or tweaking of her abilities.
As much as I hate to say it, mei is kinda mediocre as there are people who can deny chokes points better than she can and way more reliably so she needs a buff or something needs to be nerfed.
Also buff the dwarf because bastion is kind of better then him, or you can just buff his turrets.

These are some of my opinions thrown in with some of the communities opinions on the current state of the heroes.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I've played a fair bit of beta (around level 20), and the only person I can say I have real issues vs is Mcree. I play quite a lot of the characters and haven't found a decent way to deal with him apart from running away and keeping the engagement distance long (or ganging up on him). Easier said than done.

I also think there are still a lot of people who are in the Death match mindset. Wouldn't mind that, but it can actively stop you from getting the objective (which is kinda the point). I'm assuming that's just because people haven't got their heads into the game as of yet. I keep on using TF2 analogies all the time when I am playing because it's the closest thing I've played to this.

I think I've played DVA and Mercy the most, both feel kinda "right" to me (I also like Bastion but he's pretty scrubby/"too easy" to play?). DVA is kinda interesting cause her weapons only deal tick damage at range but it's fun to absolutely rush Snipers/campy characters and be in their face in a giant mech. I didn't realise her Pistol was fully automatic for a looong time though :( It's like 3x faster than clicking individually with it.

I've only played with a few "good" players, but Winston looks really strong in the right hands, lots of mobility and decent power when you get in close with him. I cannot use him at all though haha...

Reinhardt (if he's brave) can take out Bastions as can Roadhog (if you'e accurate with your hook). Bastion seems to be a giant pain in the ass if you don't know how to deal with him. Him + Torn is a very powerful defensive core, especially if they are covering each other. I've found people tend to just ignore Reinhardt on your team when you're trying to shield damage... It might be a slow way to progress but you take no damage if you're behind it. Why run through it and then die?

For all you Mcree fans out ther
McCree deals with Reinhardt: toss a Flashbang just over the top of his Shield, stun him to drop the Shield, then Right-Click him to death.
Mcree's Deadeye can break reinhardt's shield.
Stolen from planet overwatch: "Deadeye charges up to lethal range based on its targets’ health -- whether they’re behind a Reinhardt Shield or not. As it turns out, this can be quite a lot of damage! So much damage, that there may be something buggy going on. Reinhardt’s Shield only has 2000 health, and if you charge up Deadeye until right before it fires, it appears that you can exceed the total health of the Heroes behind the shield with each bullet that it fires.

From the Reinhardt’s perspective (left), his shield has 1800 health and it gets popped from the Deadeye (you can see the Shield health drop to 0 on his HUD, so we know he didn’t just put it down). From the McCree’s perspective (right), he picks off the Reaper to his right and Zarya when she hops above the Shield -- leaving just the Mercy and Reinhardt hiding behind the barrier. Even at full health, Mercy plus Reinhardt’s combined health adds up to significantly less than 1800, yet the Deadeye pops Reinhardt’s Shield anyway! Something fishy is definitely going on here -- and the Pros know how to exploit it.

If I had to guess, McCree’s Deadeye may be charging above the maximum health of Heroes behind Reinhardt’s Shield -- perhaps taking the health of the Shield itself into account -- allowing him to fire off shots of >900 damage a piece. Alternatively, Deadeye may actually be charging to some 1000+ Health number to ensure a “lethal” shot, instead of charging to the exact number equivalent to the target’s health. Whatever the reason, the end result is that McCree is being abused to break through Reinhardt Shields. This is causing strategic contradictions to occur; the choice of hiding behind Reinhardt’s shield in the case of Deadeye should be the "correct" choice -- but instead it's causing all sorts of problems. The situation looks even worse if you have enough Heroes hiding behind the Shield, as Deadeye can break the shield in only a few shots, and then kill the remaining Heroes with subsequent shots. While McCree is an extremely strong and well-rounded Hero, this interaction with his Ultimate seems to be pushing him above fair usage and must be looked at. "

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For all you Mcree fans out ther
McCree deals with Reinhardt: toss a Flashbang just over the top of his Shield, stun him to drop the Shield, then Right-Click him to death.
Mcree's Deadeye can break reinhardt's shield.
Stolen from planet overwatch: "Deadeye charges up to lethal range based on its targets’ health -- whether they’re behind a Reinhardt Shield or not. As it turns out, this can be quite a lot of damage! So much damage, that there may be something buggy going on. Reinhardt’s Shield only has 2000 health, and if you charge up Deadeye until right before it fires, it appears that you can exceed the total health of the Heroes behind the shield with each bullet that it fires.

From the Reinhardt’s perspective (left), his shield has 1800 health and it gets popped from the Deadeye (you can see the Shield health drop to 0 on his HUD, so we know he didn’t just put it down). From the McCree’s perspective (right), he picks off the Reaper to his right and Zarya when she hops above the Shield -- leaving just the Mercy and Reinhardt hiding behind the barrier. Even at full health, Mercy plus Reinhardt’s combined health adds up to significantly less than 1800, yet the Deadeye pops Reinhardt’s Shield anyway! Something fishy is definitely going on here -- and the Pros know how to exploit it.

If I had to guess, McCree’s Deadeye may be charging above the maximum health of Heroes behind Reinhardt’s Shield -- perhaps taking the health of the Shield itself into account -- allowing him to fire off shots of >900 damage a piece. Alternatively, Deadeye may actually be charging to some 1000+ Health number to ensure a “lethal” shot, instead of charging to the exact number equivalent to the target’s health. Whatever the reason, the end result is that McCree is being abused to break through Reinhardt Shields. This is causing strategic contradictions to occur; the choice of hiding behind Reinhardt’s shield in the case of Deadeye should be the "correct" choice -- but instead it's causing all sorts of problems. The situation looks even worse if you have enough Heroes hiding behind the Shield, as Deadeye can break the shield in only a few shots, and then kill the remaining Heroes with subsequent shots. While McCree is an extremely strong and well-rounded Hero, this interaction with his Ultimate seems to be pushing him above fair usage and must be looked at. "
This is from one of the weekly meta analysis? Yeaaa I've said on IRC before that you can dead eye a Reinhardt shield if there's a lot of people behind it.

Also it's still way too early like less than a week of open beta to call for nerfs/buffs. Although there's some that's really undeniable like nerf McCree's stun or fan, and buff Zenyatta to not be so squishy.

At this stage of the beta, it feels like Overwatch is suffering from the influx of new players where everyone is still trying to find their footing and often have problems making a decent composition or countering some strats, especially Bastion/Torb stacks. But hopefully it blows over soon after a couple of weeks after the release.

Hopefully no one loses interest during / after the beta. I've heard of people who already did. And with that I say, play OW by its rules and throw whatever experience you have in other shooters aside. OW is far from a traditional FPS and there isn't much similarity with most of them. Just play OW with whatever game sense you've built and don't expect things to go your way every time by doing what you thought would work in other games. Basically play by its own rules.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I like that it's fast paced compared to a lot of other multi-player games but I agree that the game does get dry after playing a bit. My problem is map structure and the lack of clear and interesting objectives. King of the hill, capture point, and payload all have similar feels and so without something more interesting, it gets old. The variety of heroes helps make up for it but I doubt I'll be dropping $40 for this on release. It's too contentless for a game of that price. TF2 is free and you can play sooooo many more maps/modes (I don't play tho) and games like Battleborn (which is a bad game to compare this to due to how different they are) offer much more content for $20 more. Better off buying a quality 3DS game or used PS4/PS3 game than this.

Still fun for casual on the fly gaming though...

I like that it's fast paced compared to a lot of other multi-player games but I agree that the game does get dry after playing a bit. My problem is map structure and the lack of clear and interesting objectives. King of the hill, capture point, and payload all have similar feels and so without something more interesting, it gets old. The variety of heroes helps make up for it but I doubt I'll be dropping $40 for this on release. It's too contentless for a game of that price. TF2 is free and you can play sooooo many more maps/modes (I don't play tho) and games like Battleborn (which is a bad game to compare this to due to how different they are) offer much more content for $20 more. Better off buying a quality 3DS game or used PS4/PS3 game than this.

Still fun for casual on the fly gaming though...
Shame that there are only 2 actually good gamemodes in TF2 and one of them only works in specific conditions. I find Overwatch to be far better than TF2 when it comes to execution of gamemodes and maps.

That said I'm also unsure about buying this, I'll wait for how the competitive scene shakes out.

Also Winston is SO FUN. It's exactly the kind of thing I love to play.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RE: TF2 being free and has more gamemods and maps. Doesn't mean that having more is always better. In terms of official map rotation, there's only a few really good PL maps: Badwater, Upward, Borneo, Barnblitz (?), Borneo. KOTH: Lakeside, Viaduct. Just my own personal opinion on good maps based on how well they play in terms of map design. 5CP is flawed in pubs. It'll just become a sentry fest more often than not and takes forever to finish. When it comes to map rotations, it's really important to have good maps. A/D is fun, similar to PL but less popular? A/D: Gravel Pit, George, Mountain Lab, Steel. A lot of times on PL servers, every single experienced player just leaves the server immediately when the next map is Hoodoo or Goldrush lol. I suppose OW doesn't have the problem of map rotation since it's a game by game thing.

Sure there's a couple of kinks OW need to iron out in some of the maps, but I'd say a far larger % of OW maps are more fun than the % in TF2. Yea there isn't a lot of maps right now, but definitely they're going to add more maps / heroes. Modes ? Probably not in terms of PvP at the least I think. Having too many modes can make balance wonky sometimes too. They did mention that all future maps etc are all free DLC so yea.

I think it's really a more to come in terms of content, and more importantly, quality of content. So, not to worry so much! But definitely it'll keep people who aren't too sure from making their decisions early. Over time hopefully it'll better live up to its price with even more quality content.

Regarding competitive wise, I'm guessing referring to competitive matchmaking mode? Yea definitely gotta wait on that one seeing that the initial one turned out badly and was totally scrapped. It'd take some time for them to make a proper one suited for OW. But meanwhile, I think it's also a good time for majority of the people to learn and practice more in pub play and hopefully then it'll come out about the right time.

RE: TF2 being free and has more gamemods and maps. Doesn't mean that having more is always better. In terms of official map rotation, there's only a few really good PL maps: Badwater, Upward, Borneo, Barnblitz (?), Borneo. KOTH: Lakeside, Viaduct. Just my own personal opinion on good maps based on how well they play in terms of map design. 5CP is flawed in pubs. It'll just become a sentry fest more often than not and takes forever to finish. When it comes to map rotations, it's really important to have good maps. A/D is fun, similar to PL but less popular? A/D: Gravel Pit, George, Mountain Lab, Steel. A lot of times on PL servers, every single experienced player just leaves the server immediately when the next map is Hoodoo or Goldrush lol. I suppose OW doesn't have the problem of map rotation since it's a game by game thing.
Borneo is terrible and yet you have it on your list twice :D.

And I'm more interested in league play, teams etc than a ranked ladder personally. Sure it's nice to have a sense of progression and improvement in the base game, but it's not quite the same.

Just started playing this, very entertaining both gameplay and visually, I mashed better with 67 bot for the love of God Almighty what the frak is the sentry thingy and why is it so OP? I might use Ninja and just sneak behind it seems it's only good at ducking and firing insane bullet rains at a straight line, doesn't make it less deadly though...

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh Bastion, the new player slayer (usually unless the new player is someone that knows a bit about how bastion comps work), until it falls off the face of the earth when people figure out how to keep pressure on it. The only 3 games I have gotten to play have been as Roadhog so I was usually the guy in charge of firing scrap balls and hooking the sentried Bastion once it was under half hp. This was an eye opener for me I suppose since it showed me exactly why Bastion falls off as fast as it does, especially because there are at least 10 more ways of dealing with Bastion based comps that I can think of.

Hog is super fun btw. I didn't get to try anyone else and won't be able to until release, but the experience I had was enjoyable and I will definitely pick it up at launch if I can find a way to make it run on a Linux OS without massive framerate issues. I do agree with Shadow Sneak though when he says Hog feels underpowered. Having 200-250 hp heroes escape after being hooked is something that shouldn't happen in my opinion. The needs to be some element of risk in fighting an ult battery like him otherwise that is all he is. Reaper getting hooked after you have fed him copious amounts of his death blossom should die, and if Hog misses the hook, he should die and Reaper will have much more death blossom than he began with. Reaper not dieing when hooked, shot in the face + melee (if you're lucky), and wraith forming away into a health pack shouldn't happen imo. That is what I got out of the short time I had playing with Hog. He is very fun, has the worst ability in the game (channeled self heals SUCK), and underpowered but not to the point of being unplayable.

Last edited:
RE: TF2 maps
Basically all I can say is that some of the early valve maps sucked (excluding badwater and a couple others) Dustbowl is garbage 2fort is just CTF chokepoint, never liked steel, I always enjoyed gravel pit but my friends always told me it was shit which I still deny due to my bias towards it. A thing about overwatcher's maps are that they are shorter and for the most part help the player focus on the objective rather tf2's wider maps like Hightower or even Upward to an extent. Also I hope they fix temple of anubis too chokey and really hard to push 2nd in order to win kinda reminds me of the infamous but not limited too: Dustbowl 2nd stage, 2nd point, Dustbowl 3rd stage, 3rd point, Upward Last, Hoodoo in general, Badwater Last, (keep in mind all of these points aren't too hard too push but can be frustrating at times) Goldrush in general, Egypt in general, Snakewater last w/o a sniper, Process last w/o a sniper, (This is in comp at least from what I experienced in sixes when I played and had to find myself or my scout partner filling the role quite often) etc. So, basically I put an emphasis on goldrush, hoodoo, egypt, and dustbowl when i think about this map. To end this post on a lighter note watchpoint:gibraltar is my favorite map and I ask what are yours?

To end this post on a lighter note watchpoint:gibraltar is my favorite map and I ask what are yours?
As far as aesthetics, Numbani wins out for me, hands down. As for gameplay, King's Row and Lijiang are fun, the former because it is really a slugfest on last and the latter because you can boop people off the map.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Favorite maps are probably Hollywood, Hanamura, Lijiang, and Gibraltar. Can you tell I main Widowmaker/D.va?

Regarding variety compared to TF2 I actually feel like the number of characters in OW makes the game feel less stale than TF2 does, even though TF2 has far more maps/game modes. The fact that it's 6v6 probably helps the sense of character diversity but it's there all the same.

re: chokepoints like Temple of Anubis, I feel like it's not really a big deal just because there's so many ways to break a chokepoint siege. Have a Reinhardt lead the way for an ulting 76, or send Tracer around the side to mess with their backline while McCree checks his watch and realizes it's high noon, or just say fuck it and send in the D.va/Hanzo/Junkrat ult to nuke everyone. Obviously a lot of chokepoint-busting strats take more coordination than you're going to get in the average pub, but I think that's the point - good teamplay is rewarded, especially when attacking.

That being said, the final section of Dorado is WAY too hard to push thanks to how easy it is for the defense to just set up around that corner and wait. At least with long, straight chokepoints you have options - chokecorners? Not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)