SM OU (OU Pokebank) Alolan Team

Created a sort of volt turn team with only alolan mons and mantine (who just got a buff in gen 7 so it counts) so I could try out some of the new stuff. But I really fell in love with the team through my hours on showdown with it. However I realize that the team could use some improvements (especially on the hazard side) so I decided to post it here.

Here is the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/CXKmRedd

1895043-lola_mantine.png

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Defog

This was the mon that i created the team around as I thought it was great with the new buffs. Probably one of the best pure spdef tanks in the game right now, it's only real weaknesses being physical rock type moves and electric types but we'll deal with that later. Only thing else to say is that I'm close to replacing air slash with toxic because I'm tired of not being able to exchange toxic with other Mantines but it seems like status overkill with scald so I'll wait for feedback before changing it.

ub_02_beauty_blue_x1000_by_yami_angel_and_devil-daj653l.jpg

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 64 Spe
Brave Nature
- U-turn
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Probably the weirdest mon on the list but I wanted a Pheramosa that wouldn't go down with just one strong priority move without compromising on speed or damage. I realized that it could be ran like a moxie scarfer. Brave nature is so that it can keep the special attack without sacrificing defenses in the process and the 64 evs in speed is to outspeed a timid scarf Tapu Lele. Brick break is so that my opponent cant just send in a ghost type or protect if they figure out I'm locked in. Ice beam is included as it's great for dealing with pokemon like lando who think they can deal with your physical set. Also scarf areal ace Dugtrio is a thing now so ill see if it's worth upping the speed to deal with it or going special all together but it kind of defeats the purpose of this set.

maxresdefault.jpg

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-486053812 (I know my opponent wasn't good but it's still fun to watch Xurkitree tear up this weird rain team)

The other half of the volt turn tag team, this mon more than carries it's weight. Just be smart about the opponents switches so you don't get trapped in by dugtrio. I'm considering swapping dazzeling gleam out for hp ground (for alolan Marowak) but I think it would just create more problems than it would solve as Komo-O would wall it.

d3f.png

Mimikyu @ Normalium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Splash
- Destiny Bond

By far my favorite on this team and probably the biggest gimmik, the mind games you can play with this set are hilarious. If played right Mimikyu is at least a guaranteed trade or it can get that last mon prepped for a beast boost sweep. Swords dance was considered over z-splash but once you loose your disguise this mon is pretty much done anyways so just use it wisely. I also realized in my brief time with swords dance that some of the tanks that my opponent switched in to Mimikyu were going from 2HKOs to 3HKOs. Unfortunately I feel like this Mimikyu will probably be the first to go if this team needs something else.

marowak_alola_pokemon_sun_pokemon_moon_by_tatanrg-dadfx4l.jpg

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge
- Shadow Bone
- Substitute

This mon was added with reckless originally but i needed another electric move sponge so now it kind of just walks the line between wall breaker and an electricity sponge. Marowak rarely stayed past halfway through a battle unless I needed it to check a threat like Ferro or Kartanna. The strat is usually check, sub/flame charge on the switch and either get some damage in or switch back out. I thought about switching out flame charge for rocks but the speed is really needed if you want to be a threat to the speedy OU mons that eat up this poor guy.

Mudsdale.full.2020788.jpg

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I originally had Palossand in this slot but as much as I wanted it to work the sandcastle just wasn't pulling his weight as a defensive tank (it was pretty much just knock off bait). That's where Mudsdale comes in (another mon who can't learn stealth rock sadly). Not much to say here as it's just a two attack rest talk set. Mudsdale pulls it's weight better than Palossand but it's still not a star player on the team. My issues with this mon are with it's lack of reliable damage as about half of the opponents I faced would just counter tank it and set up hazards. But on the bright side it deals with mantine's weaknesses quite well.

I know some of the stuff seems weird but try it out before hating on it because there is a purpose to it. I'm open to any suggestions and am not opposed to swapping out for older mons as my initial challenge of making a full alolan team (without toxipex or a full team of legendaries/ultra beasts) to ladder to 1200 is over however I'm not really interested in adding toxipex or a few other truly overused mons. Some of the problems I found with this team was it's lack of status sponges, hazards and a difficulty to gain momentum on certain teams. I also found my self often being walled by a tanky mon at the end of a game (maybe I'm just bad). Summarizing some of the changes I thought about making (not including swapping out members of the team) are hp ground on Xurkitree, stealth rocks on Alolan Marowak, making Pheramosa a special attacker, pretty much anything on Mimikyu and replacing rock slide or earthquake with status on Mudsdale.

Last edited:
Hey Weekerr, I think you've got a solid basis and you know what you're doing, but you need to be pushed in the right direction in a few regards. Before I drop my actual rate, I wanna give you a huge piece of teambuilding advice in general: old threats are still threats. Your team seems very focused on spamming the new mons and while teams can function like that they can often miss out on older threats, either in a better fit for the team or a counter to it.

(yes i read the end paragraph but it was a tad late and my advice applies to a lot of people rn)

To my actual rate now:

My first issue with the team is your Marowak set. You aren't really capitalizing on Marowak's defensive niche running a full offensive spread like so. I would strongly recommend you change over to the following set:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club / Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang

This set does a much better job of allowing Marowak to actually beat Koko and Xurkitree due to improved bulk. The item is really personal preference, I prefer Lefties myself but whatever you think fits better is up to you.

Your Pheromosa set is also a bit iffy in my opinion. Scarf on Phero really doesn't allow it to beat anything new besides the odd scarfer. I'd strongly recommend putting Life Orb over Scarf, evening out the spread, and going back to HJK over Brick Break. Also whoever told you scarf Dugtrio is a thing lied directly to your face lol.

Mimikyu I can't complain a whole lot about, maybe run Shadow Claw over Destiny Bond? Seems better to nail fatter threats not threatened by Play Rough.

Mudsdale is really just outclassed in the current meta. It has no realistic niche over either Lando or Hippowdon. For this specific team, especially given the voltturn basis, I'd recommend a bulky SR Lando-T. Set should look something like this:
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

This also frees up a slot on Marowak for Bonemerang.

One last change I would recommend is Toxic > Air Slash on Mantine. I've used both variants and I've never clicked Air Slash once at a high level. Toxic allows you to actually put pressure on stuff like Bulu, Lele, and most Dragons. Infinitely more useful in the longrun.

Since I recommended a decent deal of changes, here's a pastebin of the post-rate team: http://pastebin.com/VvELjXAM

I hope this helped, and I hope to see more from you on site!

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I agree with most of what Peef Rimgar said. I have a few more suggestions though.

I recommend a defensive set on Mantine, to not be 2hkod by Psyshock from LO Latios, because you don't actually have a solid Psychic (and Dragon) answer, you also take on opposing Marowak on better. Pheromosa and Buzzwhole too, which could run HP Ground or Earthquake luring Marowak.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 153-183 (40.9 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Still I'm not really happy with your Psychic resists, since (scarf) Tapu Lele just kills every Pokemon after very little damage. You can run a scarf Tapu Lele yourself instead of Xurkitree, to have a better matchup against offensive teams. Tapu Lele has more going for it in terms of team support, it doesn't allow priority moves, so you support Pheromosa and Mimikyu and it adds a Psychic and Dragon resist while being one of the best scarfers in sumo ou (that's the feeling I have at the moment). In comparison, Xurkitree has little value early and mid game, because Ground types and Alolan Marowak keep it from attacking, while strong and fast Pokemon can easily revenge it because of its low defenses.

On Mimikyu, there is the option to run Ghostium-Z, an alternative set, to break through defensive walls like Toxapex which walls Pheromosa with a heavy attack. Your ghost attack turns into Never-Ending Nightmare and has 140 BP on Shadow Claw. Lum Berry is an option too, if Toxapex tries to weaken it with Scaldburns.

At the moment I prefer Thick Club Marowak on defensive sets aswell (unless you want to run a very defensive team, then I'd think about resttalk) because of the damage output, if you expect Grassy Terrain (in a tour from your opponent for example) you can run Bonemerang as its not affected by the attack drop. Good luck and if you have questions, let me know!
Pheromosa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Mantine @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Hey Weekerr, I think you've got a solid basis and you know what you're doing, but you need to be pushed in the right direction in a few regards. Before I drop my actual rate, I wanna give you a huge piece of teambuilding advice in general: old threats are still threats. Your team seems very focused on spamming the new mons and while teams can function like that they can often miss out on older threats, either in a better fit for the team or a counter to it.

(yes i read the end paragraph but it was a tad late and my advice applies to a lot of people rn)

To my actual rate now:

My first issue with the team is your Marowak set. You aren't really capitalizing on Marowak's defensive niche running a full offensive spread like so. I would strongly recommend you change over to the following set:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club / Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Punch
- Bonemerang

This set does a much better job of allowing Marowak to actually beat Koko and Xurkitree due to improved bulk. The item is really personal preference, I prefer Lefties myself but whatever you think fits better is up to you.

Your Pheromosa set is also a bit iffy in my opinion. Scarf on Phero really doesn't allow it to beat anything new besides the odd scarfer. I'd strongly recommend putting Life Orb over Scarf, evening out the spread, and going back to HJK over Brick Break. Also whoever told you scarf Dugtrio is a thing lied directly to your face lol.

Mimikyu I can't complain a whole lot about, maybe run Shadow Claw over Destiny Bond? Seems better to nail fatter threats not threatened by Play Rough.

Mudsdale is really just outclassed in the current meta. It has no realistic niche over either Lando or Hippowdon. For this specific team, especially given the voltturn basis, I'd recommend a bulky SR Lando-T. Set should look something like this:
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

This also frees up a slot on Marowak for Bonemerang.

One last change I would recommend is Toxic > Air Slash on Mantine. I've used both variants and I've never clicked Air Slash once at a high level. Toxic allows you to actually put pressure on stuff like Bulu, Lele, and most Dragons. Infinitely more useful in the longrun.

Since I recommended a decent deal of changes, here's a pastebin of the post-rate team: http://pastebin.com/VvELjXAM

I hope this helped, and I hope to see more from you on site!
Yea i realized that Marowak did less work as I got higher in the ladder so I've moved on from trying to make it a sweeper (as fun as the 2 or 3 sweeps that I got were). Your Marowak set seems to be the one that would suit that defensive role that I've moved on to. With regards to Lando I think I was just trying to delay the inevitable by keeping Mudsdale around, as much as I dislike using Lando (long story) I feel like it's effectiveness on this team cant be overlooked. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi, I agree with most of what Peef Rimgar said. I have a few more suggestions though.

I recommend a defensive set on Mantine, to not be 2hkod by Psyshock from LO Latios, because you don't actually have a solid Psychic (and Dragon) answer, you also take on opposing Marowak on better. Pheromosa and Buzzwhole too, which could run HP Ground or Earthquake luring Marowak.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 153-183 (40.9 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Still I'm not really happy with your Psychic resists, since (scarf) Tapu Lele just kills every Pokemon after very little damage. You can run a scarf Tapu Lele yourself instead of Xurkitree, to have a better matchup against offensive teams. Tapu Lele has more going for it in terms of team support, it doesn't allow priority moves, so you support Pheromosa and Mimikyu and it adds a Psychic and Dragon resist while being one of the best scarfers in sumo ou (that's the feeling I have at the moment). In comparison, Xurkitree has little value early and mid game, because Ground types and Alolan Marowak keep it from attacking, while strong and fast Pokemon can easily revenge it because of its low defenses.

On Mimikyu, there is the option to run Ghostium-Z, an alternative set, to break through defensive walls like Toxapex which walls Pheromosa with a heavy attack. Your ghost attack turns into Never-Ending Nightmare and has 140 BP on Shadow Claw. Lum Berry is an option too, if Toxapex tries to weaken it with Scaldburns.

At the moment I prefer Thick Club Marowak on defensive sets aswell (unless you want to run a very defensive team, then I'd think about resttalk) because of the damage output, if you expect Grassy Terrain (in a tour from your opponent for example) you can run Bonemerang as its not affected by the attack drop. Good luck and if you have questions, let me know!
Pheromosa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Careful Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Mantine @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
For as much as I love Xurkitree I'll admit that he just becomes unusable around the 1350s in the ladder and Scarf Tapu Lele (as i figured out the hard way) is far superior. I also noticed that Mantine was taking a few too many Psyshocks so I'll probably switch up the ev spread to what you suggested. What would you reccomend as a switch in to a Scarf Tapu Lele psychic? All I could do with this team was avoid baiting it in and then just sacking something or predicting the switch in.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
thanks. hm Tapu Lele will be difficult bro, since darks which are immune are prone to moonblast. Usually people run steel types for it, like (I've seen a few AV) magnezone, ferrothorn, celesteela. What do you think of replacing Pheromosa for Mega-Metagross ? That would be the more bulky offense-solution. Phero will probably get banned soon anyway.
Magnezone or a very defensive steel type is possible too, depends on in which direction you want to see the team go. but we need to remember that we need heavy hitters too
The tier is still a bit chaotic, but with Metagross, Mantine and your own Lele the scarf set should be covered decently. The specs set is difficult for you, but you just have to play around that if you want to be able to break through teams

Last edited:
No team is invincible right? Yea I might just hunker down and study for finals and see where the meta is when I get back. No doubt phero will be banned by then so I can consider Metagross as a replacement. I'm kind of frustrated with the free 180 bp coverage that z moves give right now anyways. I'm sure I'll get over it but I still cant see why gamefreak just didn't stick with mega evolutions. Who knows, maybe I'm just being a baby and z moves are awesome to everyone else.

One last thing, what are the calcs on Ghostium z damage? Just want to know if I need a SD before I can take down a toxipex.

Since Landorus is a Pokebank pokemon, what would you guys suggest as a replacement? I want to use this team in the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)