Project ORAS PU Teambuilding Competition (See post #362)

In a very close race, Machoker wins! Your core for this week is:

Murkrow, one of the most customizable Pokémon in the tier, is the core. It can pursuit trap, it can perish trap, it can be a mixed wallbreaker, it can run feather dance calm mind, and it can run offensive support with Thunder Wave and Taunt. How will Murkrow support your team?

Last edited:
Brave Bird Offense

Here is a cool team I have made around Murkrow and Banded Dodrio. Murkrow is really good at luring Defensive Steel and Rock types like Mawile and Golem and taking them out with Heat Wave and HP Grass respectively. Both of the previously mentioned pokemon are great switch ins to Dodrio and once they are removed Dodrio is free to fire off really powerful banded Brave Birds and Frustrations. Roselia was next because it is a good switch in to Stunfisk who Murkrow can't damage too much and Roselia in general is a great fit because it resists Electric type attacks aimed at the birds. I opted with Specs because it has great damage output and if Murkrow can secure the KO on the Steel types then Roselia is also free to spam powerful Sludge Bombs but Roselia can also lure Steel types like Probopass itself with HP Fighting. Lumineon is the next mon as a soft check to Rock and Water types like Golem and Floatzel, Defog support is a necessity with the core being weak to rocks and U-turn is great to grab momentum. Golem works well as a lead that can reliably set up Stealth Rock and stop Volt turn in its tracks as well as being a normal and flying resist. Scarf Mr.Mime was the last mon I added because I needed a fast revenge killer and Healing Wish support is fantastic for this team as recoil moves and lack of recovery are abundant.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sucker Punch

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack

Roselia @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Defog
- U-turn

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish

Second submission for Murkrow team! I don't really like Brave Bird AoA Murkrow for some reason, so I built around CM Murk instead.

CM Murk Offense

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt / Feather Dance
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dark Pulse

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Leafeon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Frustration

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

So I decided to build this team around Calm Mind Murkrow with Taunt, which effectively turns it into a Stallbreaker and (late game) set up sweeper at the same time. Prankster Taunt is nice for opposing lead Smeargles, lead Venipedes, whatever; it's also nice to prevent Toxics, Thunder Waves and to prevent opponents from setting up themselves. Calm Mind Murk had trouble breaking through Clefairy during testing, so I wanted something that could really punish Clefairy, and I went with Specs Beheeyem which rips apart many teams that don't have a Psychic resist (or that rely on Mawile as a psychic resist lol). Shadow Ball hits Grumpig and Metang, while Signal Beam one shots Darks such as Pawniard and Cacturne on the switch ins, provided you predict correctly. Thunderbolt hits Vullaby and something else I don't remember. I slapped on a Jolly Monferno as a Pawniard and Cacturne switch in, and can provide momentum with U-turn for the wallbreakers of the team to deal lots of damage --> Monferno also lures in Altaria, Stunfisk, Bulky Waters, to which Specs Beheeyem can also punish immensely or it allows Murkrow to set up Calm Minds. The team needed a water and electric check at this point, especially for Zebstrika, Rotom-F, Special Floatzel, etc, so standard SpDef Chinchou was added for decent role compression, glue and synergy. The next two slots are for more speed and wallbreaking: Scarf Leafeon was added as a ground resist and for speed, outspeeding Scarf Chatots, Rotoms and Mimes. Can also check physical Floatzel by outspeeding, which is critical for the team. Lastly, the team needed a normal resist and even more offensive presnece so banded Relicanth was chosen as the final slot, helping check Stoutland and Dodrio and, at the same time, simply hitting the opponent tremendously hard and pressuring them. This could be changed to Rock Polish or something tankier, but CB did a serviceable job. Basically, use this team if you can't for beat stall to save your life. Hope you enjoy the team!

Only tough things to switch into would be bouffalant or stoutland predicting correctly lol or maybe roselia. monferno can be tricky but can be played around with chou and bem; leafeon also outspeeds and 2hkos ferno on the switch in after rocks.

EDIT: just realized this team has no rocks. i removed double edge for stealth rock on cb reli

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-451693432 (in this one murk wasn't even used, but the team still functioned really well together)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-451697400 (this one is rather irrelevant since the opponent was bad, but i really enjoyed how cm murk just 6-0ed)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-451699274 (here cm murk pretty much cleaned)

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Tbh this team is like a...4/10 in my opinion but EJ was nice enough to wait for me to submit so I won't make them wait any longer:
Murkrow_BW.gif
Chatot_BW.gif
Prinplup_BW.gif
Zebstrika_BW.gif
Probopass_BW.gif
Leafeon_BW.gif

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Heat Wave

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Signal Beam

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

So I wanted Murkrow to Pursuit-trap as much as it could so I went with a mon that really appreciates having Ghosts and Rock/Steels weakened: Chatot. The Prinplup is there to add Defog and also act as a Water resist, Monferno check, and set up Stealth Rock. Prinplup also lures in Cacturne with Signal Beam and mainly I just wanted to build with the penguin. Zebstrika creates Voltturn with Chatot and also is a further Water check and Electric immunity. Probopass was added due to the sheer amount of synergy the mon has with the rest of the team, like acting as the Normal and Ice resist. Taunt + 3 Attacks was chosen as the set so that Probopass could beat Rotom Frost, Clefairy, Muk, and Golem, while still adding to the Voltturn and trapping Steels. Leafeon was chosen as the last as an additional wallbreaker and a Golem/additional Water check.

The main thing holding the team back is the core the sheer amount of mons that are checked by single-use checks such as lures or berries. The long-game is tough for this team, so be sure to play and predict aggressively.

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Slowbroth

This was good:

The opposing Mr. Mime is tightening its focus!
Murkrow used Dark Pulse!
The opposing Mr. Mime lost 97% of its health!
The opposing Mr. Mime lost its focus and couldn't move!
The opposing Mr. Mime was burned by the Flame Orb!

Taskr wins! Your next core is:
+

Here's a balance core for you all for this round. Articuno can eat some of the special hits aimed at Vibrava and Vibrava can eat most super-effective physical hits aimed at Articuno. Vibrava also keeps hazards off the field for Articuno, and Articuno is a general nuisance to most playstyles. This week, it's all about teambuilding skill - how will your team be better?

Last edited:
First to submit this time! I've got a nice squad today that I will call
Muckuno Bulky Offense

So I've developed this team in testing out Articuno. The conclusion that I've gathered is that outside of Stealth Rock, Steels, Faster Electrics and Bulky Mons, Articuno is a massive threat to the PU Metagame, with fantastic physical and special bulk, good recovery in Roost, ability to Pressure stall (which is an actual legitimate threat) and decent speed. The speed is appreciated, especially for a bulky offense team that needs a few fast mons. This team focuses on getting rid of Steel types (and other relevant Cuno checks): Probopass, Mawile, Pawniard, Klang, Metang, etc --> they all pretty much counter/check Articuno. I've also made the make of such that it looks like a typical ProboMuk core at team preview, when it actually is something else entirely. Starting off, the team begins with SubRoost Cuno with Phys Def Vibrava. Brava checks Golem, Stunfisk, Monferno and mons that Articuno generally does not appreciate. I knew that Muk would be a great lure for Steel types, especially since people may assume it would be MonoAttacking with just Poison Jab and thus nothing to hit steels. Muk is actually Choice Banded with Gunk Shot which would beat a typical DinoGeist core which Cuno can't really beat, Fire Punch hits Metang and Klang pretty decently, and Brick Break is to catch mons like Probopass and Pawniard on the switch in and OHKO them. Now, to more reliably trap steels, act as normal resist and provide rocks, Probopass was a logical addition, especially as a partner to Muk. Probo runs Air Balloon, max speed Timid to outspeed and beat lead Golems 1v1. At this point the team needed some more glue: SubSD Bouff was added due to CB Muk also luring and weakening ghosts such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist. Bouff is essentially the wincon on the team, as well as the method in which the team does not become too passive. It can also be used as a midgame breaker. Lastly, the team needed some good speed so the team doesn't completely lose to Floatzel, Scarf Rotom or something fast, so I slapped on standard Scarf Mime.

Overall the team synergizes pretty well. Threats may include lesser seen mons like Basculin, or fast water types in general which can potentially clean a weakened team. I guess Bouff could be switched out with a Yache SD Leaf, but I found Bouff to be fine. Opposing SD Bouff can also be potentially annoying. For dealing with electrics, you just gotta pivot between Vibrava and a bulky teammate like Muk, Probo or Bouff to threaten it out.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-454294446
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-454298219
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-454300888
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-454303223

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Probopass @ Air Balloon
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Muk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
articuno.gif rapidash.gif vibrava.gif chinchou.gif stoutland.gif mawile.gif

Articuno @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Substitute
- Roost

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch

Mawile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Iron Head

I first added sub roost Articuno and standard Vibrava since that was the core this week. Then I wanted an electric immunity, pivot, and Rotom-Frost check so I ended up adding Chinchou. Next I added Rapidash for offensive presence and as my revenge killer. Then Stoutland was also added since its the best mon in the tier. Lastly Mawile, was added as my rocker, normal check, and bird spam check. Enjoy guys [:

Hello Smogon! This is my first attempt at posting a team, so hopefully I don't mess up the formatting.

The process. My Articuno set of choice was modest life orb with hp fighting. The power difference is noticeable, coming oh so close to 2hkoing some notable switch ins. This monster is used to punch holes for the rest of the team. Next is physdef Vibrava. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. My stealth rocker of choice was Camerupt because it deals with electrics and I've found forms a good defensive core with brava. Standard spedef set with protect is the fourth move for scouting. Next I still needed a real ice resist, so Grumpig comes in. Sub/Calm Mind is the set, because I wanted a potential wincon that can actually take advantage of the work Articuno puts in as well as the next mon. Pawniard is great for spamming knock off and dealing with monsters that give the others trouble, such as Clefairy. The last slot I changed many times, but I settled with Floatzel. The team lacked speed and a revenge killer, and this one gave me the best results.

unfortunately I didn't really get many good replays :p

Articuno @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Protect

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Aqua Jet

I decided to build around Agility Articuno as I've built around Sub Roost quite a lot in the past and never tried this set out. Probopass was the first mon I added and I feel that it is a necessity on this team as it forms a good defensive core with Vibrava and it traps steel types for Articuno to sweep. Ursaring came next because it is a really good breaker that can break down Rock and Steel types and also threaten the very Specially bulky pokemon like Audino and Grumpig. Ninetales is the next mon who is another somewhat underrated breaker that can hit really hard especially with Life Orb, I put Dark Pulse on it because I still felt my team was still a bit weak to pig. Mr. Mime is a great revenge killer and it synergizes really well with the rest of the team, H-Wishing Ursaring, checking Rotom-Frost and luring Steel types for Probo to trap.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Vibrava @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake

Articuno @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Agility
- Hurricane

Probopass @ Air Balloon
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 176 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Dark Pulse

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)