Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why makes Mega Garchomp's SD set so good compared to regular LO + SD Garchomp?

Regular Chomp has more Speed (allows it to outspeed base 100s like Zards and Mega Gard) and hits harder with a Life Orb. Is the increase in bulk that much more important?

Why makes Mega Garchomp's SD set so good compared to regular LO + SD Garchomp?

Regular Chomp has more Speed (allows it to outspeed base 100s like Zards and Mega Gard) and hits harder with a Life Orb. Is the increase in bulk that much more important?
Mega Garchomp has much more survivability thanks to increased bulk and lack of LO recoil. Sand Force also gives it a way to make up that difference if partnered with Hippowdon or Tyranitar for a Sand Team.

For LO pokemon, is 29 HP IV always better than 31 (the same way 0 atk > 31/30 atk iv for purely special attackers), or is it more of a situational thing?
Actually I'd really like to know this too! But AFAIK the 29 isn't actually better, it's just you don't want the number to be divisible by something or other, and for some Pokemon lowering the HP avoids that. I just don't know why 30 doesn't work or which Pokemon it'll always apply to. Could it be circumvented by dropping the HP EV's, if it ran them (or moving the 4 def to 4 HP)?

Edit: didn't see the replies, thanks :)

Blazikarados said:
For LO pokemon, is 29 HP IV always better than 31 (the same way 0 atk > 31/30 atk iv for purely special attackers), or is it more of a situational thing?
I haven't checked every possible base HP stat, but as a general rule of thumb, if a Pokemon's base HP stat is divisible by 5, an IV of 29 is better. (Because XX5 and XX0 base numbers end in a stat of XX1 with 0 investment)

D_what said:
Actually I'd really like to know this too! But AFAIK the 29 isn't actually better, it's just you don't want the number to be divisible by something or other, and for some Pokemon lowering the HP avoids that. I just don't know why 30 doesn't work or which Pokemon it'll always apply to. Could it be circumvented by dropping the HP EV's, if it ran them (or moving the 4 def to 4 HP)?
It's for taking 1 less damage from Life Orb because the game doesn't round up. By being an odd number, it also lowers other residual damage like hazards and status for the same reason.
AFAIK, a 30 IV would only ever be useful if you wanted a certain Hidden Power, because no base HP gets a Life Orb number with 0 EVs and 30 IVs. Although, if the last digit of the base HP stat is 9 or 4 with 30 IVs and 4 EVs, it does hit a Life Orb number.

Of course, these are really only relevant when dealing with a Life Orb holding Pokemon, and usually don't make much of a difference in most battles.

Say my Bisharp carries Metal Burst and Red Card for some reason. If the opposing mon deals damage to my Bisharp while it uses Metal Burst, will the following mon get hurt by Metal Burst or can it only affect the original attacking mon?

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Say my Bisharp carries Metal Burst and Red Card for some reason. If the opposing mon deals damage to my Bisharp while it uses Metal Burst, will the following mon get hurt by Metal Burst or can it only affect the original attacking mon?
It will deal the damage to the Pokemon in at the time it uses Metal Burst (so, the second Pokemon). This is similar to if something uses U-Turn or Volt Switch, the incoming Pokemon will get hit by the Metal Burst.

Moveset Suggestion for Cofagrigus in OU

Before you call it unviable, don't forget that it is by far the best Lopunny counter in the game, alongside Tspikes so you can actually abuse the free turn.(Also Megagross/CharX full stops)

Moveset Suggestion for Cofagrigus in OU

Before you call it unviable, don't forget that it is by far the best Lopunny counter in the game, alongside Tspikes so you can actually abuse the free turn.(Also Megagross/CharX full stops)
Well, I haven't played in a while, so I might not be the best to answer this, but the strategy dex suggests this set:

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

When will action be taken on Baton Pass? It seems like people have been talking about it for at least a month but nothing has been done...I also discovered something disturbing while looking at the Smogon Tour 19 usage statistics. The percentage a pokemon has of winning is listed along with the usage. If you look carefully, you will notice notorious Baton Pass pokemon have very high win percentages. We have Smeargle (71.43%), Gorebyss (72.22%), Cottonee (64.29%), Espeon (60.00%), and Whimiscott (65.85%). Now that Baton Pass is seeing decent usage in tours, and winning, when will something be done?

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-tour-19-usage-stats.3533004/

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
When will action be taken on Baton Pass? It seems like people have been talking about it for at least a month but nothing has been done...I also discovered something disturbing while looking at the Smogon Tour 19 usage statistics. The percentage a pokemon has of winning is listed along with the usage. If you look carefully, you will notice notorious Baton Pass pokemon have very high win percentages. We have Smeargle (71.43%), Gorebyss (72.22%), Cottonee (64.29%), Espeon (60.00%), and Whimiscott (65.85%). Now that Baton Pass is seeing decent usage in tours, and winning, when will something be done?

Check out Poliy Review, a discussion about nerfing it is currently ongoing.

As Karx said, it's being discussed right now here. The biggest holdups (as far as I can tell) stem from the following:
  • Trying to decide how to deal with BP in older generations at the same time
  • Trying to decide on a reasonable minimalist approach as to what to ban for ORAS

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I noticed that the other day actually, but iirc, it was started at least a month ago. So what I'm asking is, when will the Policy Review reach a decision? Will their decision result in a suspect test as well?
Discussion has been going on longer than that but problems with implying blanket bans on tiers that didn't warrant a BP ban were a primary issue. Decision will be made more than likely soon since WCop is here and we don't want BP to be a problem in it.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
That one is kinda outdated yeah. If you want a threatlist-y sort of resource check out the OU Viability Rankings which have the rankings of Pokemon by their influence and effect on the metagame.

What's the best spread for the standard CM+MG Clefable set between 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD Calm and 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD Calm, and what are the advantages of using one over the other?

Apparently, the high lords of Smog determined Bulkyrona is not viable enough to be posted in the Volcarona thread. ...as irritating as this is, can someone tell me one or two seperate spreads for Bulkyrona? Moves are not necessary, just nature and spread.

What's the best spread for the standard CM+MG Clefable set between 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD Calm and 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD Calm, and what are the advantages of using one over the other?
The first spread lets you deal with Mega Lopunny much better while still keeping enough special bulk to sort of deal with LO Special attacking Kyu-B, and it showed up in this post.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Apparently, the high lords of Smog determined Bulkyrona is not viable enough to be posted in the Volcarona thread. ...as irritating as this is, can someone tell me one or two seperate spreads for Bulkyrona? Moves are not necessary, just nature and spread.
The set is Other Options in the analysis but in XY Bulky QD was still a viable set (it still is of course, but now it doesn't have its own set in the analysis which means a lot)

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Roost

This was the set + spread that was used in XY and early ORAS. Outspeed Adamant MAero and Modest MZam after a Quiver Dance. If you want a bulky spread nowadays, you should probably go for a different spread because both MAero and MZam use a speed boosting nature nowadays.
248 HP / 120 Def / 140 Spe can be used to outspeed Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric at +1.
248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe so you outspeed Scarf Magneton and Jolly MAero the turn it mega evolves at +1 while having a bit more bulk. You also outspeed the 259 - 262 speed tier (Neutral 252 80's and Boosting 252 70's)
248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe is the slowest I would go. You outspeed Weavile at +1. I wouldn't go slower because Weavile is pretty relevant and if you go slower you can also lose the speed war against LO Alakazam, Adamant Mega Lopunny and Tornadus-T at +1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)