Resource ORAS OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I see a double-dance set, I ask myself how the f this works, how do you get two turns of set-up? But then I realised that the utility is probably more about getting the right dance depending on the situation. Is this how it works?

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Absolutely, it's all about looking at the matchup and realizing which move is more appropriate to use in the scenario - if you are facing a slower/bulkier build, then you can SD to put more pressure on the opposing team, and if you're facing a faster offense build, then you can threaten it by RP'ing.

A lot of the time it's not worth running over double dance, but it can work on teams that are cool for trading a little flexibility for a sweeper that can do really well against bulky offenses and balances that have poor speed control. One of my main problems with it is that the set is required to knock itself down to a range where almost any scarfer or priority attack can easily take it out. I feel like it's more of a threat to build around rather than just slap on a team, which is something that's reasonably easy to do with other Lando-T sets. Still, It's certainly not unusable, just make sure you couldn't be using something better.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Everytime I see a double-dance set, I ask myself how the f this works, how do you get two turns of set-up? But then I realised that the utility is probably more about getting the right dance depending on the situation. Is this how it works?
A lot of the time people switch in Landorus-T to Landorus-T. This is setup fodder so you can SD as they come in and RP on the next turn as they switch out leaving you at +1/+2.

There are other mons that Lando-T can set up on because of its good typing and ability. It's one of the easier mons to find 2 turns to set up with.

Right dance in the right situation is less common, tbh. Although sometimes it happens, but moreso against fat teams when you just need the SD

anyway what do you guys screens klefki on offensive teams
Quoting Smogon itself: Taunt Users: Taunt users such as Thundurus, Mega Gardevoir, and Gengar prevent Klefki from using its support moves such as Spikes, Thunder Wave, Light Screen, and Reflect. However, the latter two are severely crippled by Thunder Wave.

Apart from that, just have a Defog user handy. Not only do they clear away Klefki's hazards, but Defog users can make the dual screens go away to.

TL;DR: Taunt & Defog

If you're running double dance, you need smack down because it hits skarmory and and reliably beats talonflame. Also you can't run leftovers over soft sand because you lose out on two hit KOs of quagsire.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you're running double dance, you need smack down because it hits skarmory and and reliably beats talonflame. Also you can't run leftovers over soft sand because you lose out on two hit KOs of quagsire.
Uh no

Firstly Skarmory (without counter) is actually one of the best possible mons to set up on if Lando is your last Mon. Secondly, Stone Edge is needed to OHKO common threats such as Latios at +2.

DD Lando is not meant to be a Stallbreaker necessarily, so 1v1ing Quagsire is less important than other considerations. These are options such as Lum Berry and Yache Berry to ease setup /sweeps. Of course EPlate is a good choice but Quagsire is far from the main thing to think about when picking DD Landos item.

Stallbreaking seems to be your focus here - Smack Down for Skarm, EPlate for Quag - and this is a role better designated to Lando-T without Rock Polish. Offensive SD Lando and SD RP have different roles

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Smack Down isn't a necessity at all. In fact I'd argue that it is v. suboptimal on DD. You miss out on, like, 1 pokemon with Stone Edge iirc whereas Stone Edge actually provides some form of presence v.s. ungrounded Pokémon before setup without needing to waste a turn hitting them with a weak move to ground them - not to mention that Skarm would just switch out after being hit by Smack Down anyway, meaning that it needs to catch it on the switch-in to be useful. Seriously, this move is only useful if you need to specifically lure Skarmory, and if you want to do that you sure as hell don't do it on DD as it simply doesn't have enough moveslots to take full advantage of it without significantly compromising its ability to fulfill its role on any given team.

Edit: also what Bludz said

DD land
DD lando T is a late game clean up or even wallbreaker. Smack down is good to lure in like rotom wash and skarmory no doubt but stone edge is just more powerful and wallbreaks better but smack down doesn't seem like a bad choice though whenever I use lando T I almost always use defensive

In the case of sand exca, though? With limited turns of sand it really wants to be sweeping, not to mention you have to give up sd if you want to run spin... and in a meta with lots of helmet lando etc, you really need sd these days.
And yeah bulky starmie is the best spinner right now, rt + scald getting it past bish and ferro is really
how about double dance thundy-t what's your guys opinions on that?
Thundurus T and fast electric in general aren't very good. The only 2 good electric right now are magnezone and thundurus I. Thundurus T hasn't been good ever since Thundurus I was allowed in OU in gen 6

I also think Zapdos is a respectable Pokemon in OU if you know how to use it, there's also Rotom Wash which is on a ton of teams lately.

I also think Zapdos is a respectable Pokemon in OU if you know how to use it, there's also Rotom Wash which is on a ton of teams lately.
Zapdos isn't very good right now and even in X and Y it wasn't. Its outclassed in terms of defog by the likes of lati twins worn down easily ect. The only reason to use it is to blanket check torn T which rotom wash is a much more splashable mon to use over Zapdos since its a better ground immunity better defensive typing and its ability to check top tower threats like Lando T azumarill (kind of) and blanket check every common bird in the OU meta like talonflame mega pinsir and especially torn T. Levitate and water typing give it the ability to also blanket check rain teams(which isnr too common and good right now) and sand teams which are very common

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
my man analysis geek if youre just gonna ask what people think of something for about the last 10 posts you asked you might as well just ask it all in a single post. :>{o

Edit: post 777 F da policia

Edit2: -.- tyrant mods

Last edited:
Rotom wash also checks some of the Pokemon who check or prevent volt turn such as hippowdon and tank chomp. Hippo is burned and hates hydro pumo and same with tank chomp

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A small thought on when to use and when to use stone edge and smack down on DD Lando-t: Stone Edge boasts of being a very powerful move than Smack down, also the ability to have a good percentage of crit makes it more easy to beat pokemon that support this move, the cons of this move is definitely the precision of it, many miss cost of the game already won, also a bad conswguenza of this move (and can best be seen in scarf Landorus and defensive, is the lack momentum that the move created when used instead smack down, i think it's more a supporting move, in the sense that it is not used to KO opponents pokemon, but to pre generate momentum, forcing Skarmory, rotom-w (common counters of lando) to retreat, thus gaining free set-up, or you use more u-turn, during these situations, in fact smack down lando appreciates be paired with some balance breaker, just to take advantage of the momentum gained with that play.

Zapdos isn't very good right now and even in X and Y it wasn't. Its outclassed in terms of defog by the likes of lati twins worn down easily ect. The only reason to use it is to blanket check torn T which rotom wash is a much more splashable mon to use over Zapdos since its a better ground immunity better defensive typing and its ability to check top tower threats like Lando T azumarill (kind of) and blanket check every common bird in the OU meta like talonflame mega pinsir and especially torn T. Levitate and water typing give it the ability to also blanket check rain teams(which isnr too common and good right now) and sand teams which are very common
Yeah, it's outclassed, but I like to use Zapdos over the Latis because of shared weaknesses I don't want to have and because I also don't like to be pursuit trapped.

Yeah, it's outclassed, but I like to use Zapdos over the Latis because of shared weaknesses I don't want to have and because I also don't like to be pursuit trapped.
Don't use Zapdos over Latios ever dude lol. Zapdos isn't even good its a good. Bird check and a defogger that isn't pursuit trapped but Latios is easily s lot better and is still a lot more splashable with a lot better and more key resistances

Ok I think we need to calm down a bit on the one-liners, this thread's kinda getting out of hand. Simple, one-lined questions generally belong in the Simple Questions thread rather than this one, as they don't generally promote enough discussion to warrant a post in this thread.
I've already had to delete a few posts, and I'll be deleting posts that don't follow the guidelines from here on out. Thanks guys.

Yep if you want an offensive defogger with a great defensive typing go latios. Draco meteor neutral coverage is amazing, not depending on hp makes him better at his job as well.

Zapdos can't hold a candle to him, worse speed tier, weakness to rocks, less switch in opportunities.

Just use latios.

I think latias is a better defoger than latios because of the latter's bulk allows it switch in more times than latios would. i also think that healing wish from latias is more depended on because when a mon that can sweep is getting ready to faint latias gives it a second chance. latios memento helps in some cases but i think healing wish just provides more utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)