Oraclemons

Oraclemons

Jirachi, the Wish Pokemon, has a signature move that introduces a new concept to Pokemon: a move that hits after it was used. Doom Desire is the name. Now you may be wondering: why Oraclemons? Well, look at both Future Sight and Doom Desire. Used only by Pokemon of the Psychic-type, hence it is called oracle. Enough of my rambling, let's get to the actual metagame!

In this metagame, every single move will have the effect of Doom Desire, meaning it will strike two turns later. This is unless you're using a status move, otherwise Recover + Wish would be mindless.

Mechanics of Doom Desire:
  • Hits two turns later.
  • On turn used, states the move has been used.
  • Ignores Protect.
  • Status moves do not receive the effect.
  • Ignores Endure, but not Focus Band or Focus Sash.
  • Takes STAB into effect.
  • Unable to land a Critical Hit.
  • Uses the stat of the Pokemon the turn it hits. Aka if a +0 uses Doom Desire, then gets to +2 the turn the move hits, it will take the +2 into account.
Notable Strategies:
  • Block. With such wide distribution, forcing Pokemon to stay in and take whatever attack the opponent wants is amazing.
  • Boosting. Boost after you've used an attack and it'll take the boost into account on the turn it hits.
  • Stacking. Stack on powerful attacks so that the opponent will have to be at relatively high health or else... well!
  • Recovery. If you're into that, being at 100% in this metagame is as good as it gets, as an onslaught of attacks can be hard to take. After the battle starts, attacks quite literally do not stop unless a status move is used.
FAQ:
  • How does this work if it breaks Protect?
    • Here's a hypothetical situation:
      - Serperior uses Dragon Pulse [Turn 1]
      - Chansey uses Stealth Rock [Turn 1]
      - Serperior uses Glare [Turn 2]
      - Chansey uses Seismic Toss [Turn 2]
      - Serperior uses Substitute [Turn 3]
      - Chansey uses Protect [Turn 3]
      - Dragon Pulse hits! [Turn 3]
    • The move goes after every Pokemon on the field has attacked, as demonstrated above. Also, two moves being hit on each side on a turn take Speed as the deciding factor for which hits first.
  • How does it work if I use the move twice in a row?
    • Well, you can't. Doom Desire can't be used twice in a row, so no other move can do that either.
  • What happens if the Pokemon faints the turn it's supposed to strike?
    • The move fails.
:: the immortal said this was okay

Last edited:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

woah woah this pokemon will be interesting to use in this metagame. First trapping the opposing pokemon and then damaging it with its 2 powerful move + life orb which doubles the damage :D R.I.P. Making a team around it will be interesting and poweful.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
This looks really cool.
Quick note - OP should mention that if you switch out before your attack hits, the move uses your +0 attack stat. Example: Manaphy uses Scald, then Tail Glow, then switches out. Scald will hit at +0, rather than at +3.

Praise this meta, no crits

but I honestly find sub double dance lando to be interesting in this meta.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Subsitute / Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Although this might only be able to have one move but sub seems extremely useful if you use sub/rock polish first. Sub allows you to absorb hits whilst Rock Polish allows you get the speed boost. An edgequake combo can also be used to hit majority of things neutrally if not it can hit them for SE damage

EV

Banned deucer.
Similarly to boosting, stat reduction moves such as Screech, Fake Tears, and Metal Sound will increase the damage received by the oracle'd move. This gives Pokemon without a way to boost a workaround.

In STABmons Heatran runs a set of Doom Desire/King's Shield/Roar to shuffle the opponent and to buy turns before the attack hits. This can be replicated here easily, with phazing and protect available to a wide range of Pokemon. Another major strategy that will undoubtedly be a mainstay is coupling your oracle attack with complimentary coverage (see Sanjay's above.) You throw out an Electric oracle move and as the opponent scrambles to get in their Ground-type, you attack with Ice, Water, or Grass.

I see a lot of Protect, stat boosting/reducing, shuffling, and hazards in this metagame's future, no pun intended.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Similarly to boosting, stat reduction moves such as Screech, Fake Tears, and Metal Sound will increase the damage received by the oracle'd move. This gives Pokemon without a way to boost a workaround.

In STABmons Heatran runs a set of Doom Desire/King's Shield/Roar to shuffle the opponent and to buy turns before the attack hits. This can be replicated here easily, with phazing and protect available to a wide range of Pokemon. Another major strategy that will undoubtedly be a mainstay is coupling your oracle attack with complimentary coverage (see Sanjay's above.) You throw out an Electric oracle move and as the opponent scrambles to get in their Ground-type, you attack with Ice, Water, or Grass.
You can't stack oracle moves though, and every attack is an oracle move, so I don't think that's possible, unfortunately.

A set I can see as incredibly dangerous:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Gravity
- Toxic
- Sword Dance / Stealth Rock

This set can easily lure all of Lando-T's normal checks (Think Rotom-Wash, Skarm) by smartly using the extra turns you can't attack in. Intimidate will also be extremely useful to mitigate damage physical attackers can do. I can pull up some relevant calcs and such later on, I'm on mobile now

Also bear in mind: there's like zero benefit to speed investment in this meta, unless you wanna creep something to status it

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You can't stack oracle moves though, and every attack is an oracle move, so I don't think that's possible, unfortunately.
Actually based on the OP, you can stack moves, but just not the same move. So mono attackers arent actually as good as ppl think.

Example.
If Landy uses EQ first turn, any EQ it uses after will fail until the first EQ lands.
But if it uses Stone Edge on Turn two an EQ smashes on turn 3, then a Stone Edge stikes it at turn 4.

Reactions: nv

tehy

Banned deucer.
the OP can according whatever it wants, but it's worth noting that, on PS you currently can't have up a Future Sight and a Doom Desire up (i'd post the replay of me testing it just now, but replays are down so.)

therefore either this meta breaks that (a legitimate choice, i'm not knocking it), or it becomes a stall teams vs. offensive mons with phasing tier (not completely terrible i'll grant but pretty tough for offense). Maybe M-sableye offense to keep off hazards?

tehy

Banned deucer.
by the way, the reason substitute probably isn't broken, is because stall dominates this tier anyhow, and so does phazing; as a corollary, offensive sets will be like this

Keldeo @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Roar
- (Filler)

filler is probably taunt / sub, maybe a super-convenient coverage move or work up

anyhow, this set could care a whole lot less about substitute since it's looking to phaze for the most part anyhow, and most offensive mons will likely need to follow suit if they are thinking of claiming a kill or maintaining their own boosts from phazing

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

You attack then stack with Tail Glow, This looks so dangerous as it is already dominating you with such high special attack but now it can set-up at the same time. This looks stupid.

How do U-Turn and Volt Switch work in this meta ? Can you switch out immediately ? or does it allow you to switch your active mon two turns later ?
The second option sounds silly, for it will mess with phazing and it would allow you to switch twice in the same turn (you switch out, your opponent uses an attack, U-Turn triggers, you switch a second time).

EV

Banned deucer.
"In this metagame, every single move will have the effect of Doom Desire, meaning it will strike two turns later. This is unless you're using a status move,"

EV

Banned deucer.
He quoted my entire post which also mentioned status moves so I assumed he meant you can't use an attack and then use Screech.

If he meant the second part about Electric and coverage, he wasn't specific. If that was the case, I was under the impression while this was in Submissions that only the most recently used attack is Oracle'd, meaning you can't use Thunderbolt twice in a row if it's your Oracle attack. You can, however, use other attacks in the meantime.

Edit: the 3rd bullet under Strategy alludes to this.

tehy

Banned deucer.
edit:
'In this metagame, every single move will have the effect of Doom Desire, meaning it will strike two turns later.'

'the effect of doom desire' includes 'not working at the same time as other Future Sights or Doom Desires'. If you want to alter that for this meta, fine, but it's in no way clear that this was the case, so people are not sure. And of course, if you want to alter that, you gotta make that explicit so people turned off by that alteration will know from the start to keep away.

Double edit: good for the strategies!

Last edited:

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
He quoted my entire post which also mentioned status moves so I assumed he meant you can't use an attack and then use Screech.

If he meant the second part about Electric and coverage, he wasn't specific. If that was the case, I was under the impression while this was in Submissions that only the most recently used attack is Oracle'd, meaning you can't use Thunderbolt twice in a row if it's your Oracle attack. You can, however, use other attacks in the meantime.

Edit: the 3rd bullet under Strategy alludes to this.
yeah sorry wasn't being clear. I meant the bottom portion of your post where you said to attack with a different type move to follow up with your main attack. tehy already brought up how this isn't technically (currently) possible, but I think unfixable intended for that mechanic to be changed so in that case what you were saying still applies.

IIRC you can't stack doom desire moves so you can't really break through this

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic

Also I suggested a meta that is very similar to this one, the only difference is only special moves get the doom desire effect and it gets a 1.5x damage multiplier. Maybe you could consider this but if not that's completely fine.

I feel like stall would be really broken here, you can't out-predict... Like, there isn't anything that'll catch me off guard. Like, I can have a ghost, steel and normal typed pokemon on my team, and Gengar with ghost, fighting and poison coverage will never be able to touch any of my pokemon. I don't know how to counter-act this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)