Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Why did Fire, the type that already had the most resistances after Steel, gain a Fairy resistance? At least Steel was nerfed to compensate for that.
because it's SR weak and weak to two stellar types, water and ground. Fire may have a wide number of resistances but defensive fire-types in most metas are few and often reserved for special application, giving fire-type a fairy resistance was not a poor competitive decision whatsoever. Charizard-X, Heatran, Ho-Oh, Arcanine, and really not that much else have been really successful as defensive firetypes, and even they have to wrestle with their cirppling SR weaknesses.

I think the main reason for the Bug-types' terribleness is that the Bug type serves as an introductory type of Pokémon. Catching bugs is the simplest kind of animal acquisition (for the lack of a better word), they are popuar to collect, their weaknesses are very intuitive, and the metamorphosis phase many bugs go through is an excellent way to showcase evolution. Another perk is that they fit nicely into the early-game type chart. They also have the gimmick of evolving fast, becoming strong Pokémon very early on, but they are outclassed later.

Basically, the Bug types serve to teach the concept of Pokémon in a nutshell. They display strenghts/weaknesses beyond the simple rock-paper-scissors model of the starter types, they showcase evolution very early on, and bug catching is something kids can easily relate to. Basically, they are the ideal early-game Pokémon.

That implies, however, that they are designed to be outclassed later in the game. In the competitive scene, all Pokémon are seen alongside each other, and the early-game bugs stand out as pretty bad. But in-game, Bug types are presented to you early on, where they are comparatively stronger than most of your other options. A little investment in training, and bam! You get that sweet Butterfree who can sweep the floor with Brock using only Confusion. Bug types are good at their stage of the game. However, the game designers want you to explore the options the game gives you, and that means that the first Pokémon you acquire shouldn't be strong enough to serve your needs throughout the entire game. Sooner or later, you will have to ditch a few of your early captures, to make room for a much stronger Pokémon caught in the mid-game. The Bugs are usually the first to go here.

This means that the game roster will be filled by a fair few weak Bug Pokémon. The games need to have some Pokémon used for introducing players to various types, and the Bug types fit that role like a glove. Later in the game, the type can return with more creative or outlandish designs, mimicking rarer or more powerful bugs of the kind you can't just find in any backyard forest. These are more exotic designs, with interesting secondary typings and enough power to stand up to the rest of the Pokémon in the game. However, these "special" Bug types will usually be outnumbered by the abundance of early-game introductory Pokémon. When you put all the Bug types up alongside each other, you will notice the bad bunch first, to a much larger degree than other types.

Of course, there are also the likes of Ledian and Ariados, that suck no matter when you get them in-game. I suppose those are used to teach players that there will always have to be some Pokémon worse than the others, no matter what you compare them to. Every barrel has to have a bottom, after all.
I think the main reason for the Bug-types' terribleness is that the Bug type serves as an introductory type of Pokémon. Catching bugs is the simplest kind of animal acquisition (for the lack of a better word), they are popuar to collect, their weaknesses are very intuitive, and the metamorphosis phase many bugs go through is an excellent way to showcase evolution. Another perk is that they fit nicely into the early-game type chart. They also have the gimmick of evolving fast, becoming strong Pokémon very early on, but they are outclassed later.

Basically, the Bug types serve to teach the concept of Pokémon in a nutshell. They display strenghts/weaknesses beyond the simple rock-paper-scissors model of the starter types, they showcase evolution very early on, and bug catching is something kids can easily relate to. Basically, they are the ideal early-game Pokémon.

That implies, however, that they are designed to be outclassed later in the game. In the competitive scene, all Pokémon are seen alongside each other, and the early-game bugs stand out as pretty bad. But in-game, Bug types are presented to you early on, where they are comparatively stronger than most of your other options. A little investment in training, and bam! You get that sweet Butterfree who can sweep the floor with Brock using only Confusion. Bug types are good at their stage of the game. However, the game designers want you to explore the options the game gives you, and that means that the first Pokémon you acquire shouldn't be strong enough to serve your needs throughout the entire game. Sooner or later, you will have to ditch a few of your early captures, to make room for a much stronger Pokémon caught in the mid-game. The Bugs are usually the first to go here.

This means that the game roster will be filled by a fair few weak Bug Pokémon. The games need to have some Pokémon used for introducing players to various types, and the Bug types fit that role like a glove. Later in the game, the type can return with more creative or outlandish designs, mimicking rarer or more powerful bugs of the kind you can't just find in any backyard forest. These are more exotic designs, with interesting secondary typings and enough power to stand up to the rest of the Pokémon in the game. However, these "special" Bug types will usually be outnumbered by the abundance of early-game introductory Pokémon. When you put all the Bug types up alongside each other, you will notice the bad bunch first, to a much larger degree than other types.

Of course, there are also the likes of Ledian and Ariados, that suck no matter when you get them in-game. I suppose those are used to teach players that there will always have to be some Pokémon worse than the others, no matter what you compare them to. Every barrel has to have a bottom, after all.
Au contraire the very first pokemon you acquire ingame can carry you all the way to the end(starter pokemon). Though this was mainly to show the main theme of te series that strong bonds make for strong pokemon(at least the first three).

I don't agree on the starters. I could swipe the floor with Charizard on R/B, and that didn't change on FR/LG. Same with Typhlosion and Feraligart for G/C and remakes, Swampert for RSE, Infernape for DPPt, and event Torchic for X/Y without using other Pokémon for battling.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Only good viable bug types, are usually bug/steel types (durant, escavalier, scizor, fortress) and volcornoa, and some other pokemon. All the other bugs, are usually gimmiks, and stuff. I might be missing some good bug pokemon, but this is my example.

Only good viable bug types, are usually bug/steel types (durant, escavalier, scizor, fortress) and volcornoa, and some other pokemon. All the other bugs, are usually gimmiks, and stuff. I might be missing some good bug pokemon, but this is my example.
Heracross, Pinsir (and their megas), Venomoth, Scolipede and Galvantula are 5 you missed out that all have very useful traits and can find spots on your team.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Au contraire the very first pokemon you acquire ingame can carry you all the way to the end(starter pokemon). Though this was mainly to show the main theme of te series that strong bonds make for strong pokemon(at least the first three).
True enough, I intended to mention the starters as well, but forgot about it. While I was typing, four or five new posts appeared, which meant I had to type faster and faster for the post to stay relevant.

But yeah, apart from the starters, I feel that my point still stands. The early-game Pokémon that stay strong throughout the entire game are few and far between, 'mons like Stoutland and Staraptor are generally outnumbered by the likes of Raticate, Unfezant and Furret. The Pokémon you pick up early are meant to become PC fodder after a while, they are weak to incite you to swap them for something better down the line. Again, the exception is your starter Pokémon, which stays with you throughout the entire game.

One thing I'm hyped for is the Route 111 (might be wrong route number) But it's located north of Mauville City, where the Desert is Located, and the Mt.Pyre/volcano place area.

Mainly hyped to see how the desert will look like
edit: also guys think Go-Go goggles will be re-introduced?
Go-Goggles were part of the plot, so I'm assuming so.

Wouldn't it be great if they actually appeared on your character? OR EVEN TINTED THE SCREEN ORANGE WHEN WEARING THEM?!

*heavy breathing*

Go-Goggles were part of the plot, so I'm assuming so.

Wouldn't it be great if they actually appeared on your character? OR EVEN TINTED THE SCREEN ORANGE WHEN WEARING THEM?!

*heavy breathing*
Appear on the character? Yes! Very much so (well, hope so).

Tint the screen orange [or whatever color]? No! Unless it was a 1st person game. (Gen 7 a Skyrim-esque free-roamer in first person please, GF)

I would also like to see the Poke Nav (I think it was called that) on Brendan/May's hip - that would instill a deeper sense of immersion, imo.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Hmm... come to think of it, between them, Gen. I and Gen. III have around 73% of the Mega Evolutions that we know of (while only having 40 % of the total amount of Pokémon). Assuming GameFreak hasn't burned all their powder yet (and I see no reason to believe so), I think we're going to see a couple more Mega Evolutions in the months before launch. My money is on something from Unova being next. With Diancie getting a Mega, it seems like the rule of "no late-generation Pokémon unless they're really popular or have a typing we haven't used yet" is soundly broken, and Gen. V remains the only generation without a Mega Evolution.

With this in mind, I also think we shouldn't expect too many more Gen. III Mega Evolutions. Counting the Latis separately, Gen. III already has the most Mega Evolutions, with 13. I can see the number hitting 15 with Metagross and Salamence, that being the limit until Gen. VII comes around (with "Primal Devolution" circumventing the limit, in the case of Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza and possibly 2x Zygarde and/or Xerneas/Yveltal).

I saw this helpful little chart on Pokémemes today, which gives a nice visualization of how dominant Gen. I and III are in the Mega field:

Also, Gen. II seems a little under-represented. Then again, that might be because it's the only of the first three generations not to have Mega Evolutions for its starters. Which raises a few interesting possibilities...

Also, Gen. II seems a little under-represented. Then again, that might be because it's the only of the first three generations not to have Mega Evolutions for its starters. Which raises a few interesting possibilities...
Well... Gen 2 didn't really have all that many Pokémon to begin with. I mean... what other Pokémon from that gen would be given megas? The legendaries aren't really popular enough (at least not on the level of Mewtwo), the only starters to get megas were Kanto and Blaziken for ORAS promotion, a fair amount of Pokémon are pre-evolutions or branching paths of Gen 1 'mon... I'm trying hard to think of a Pokémon from Gen 2 that would be likely to get a Mega aside from those that already have one and the starters. Crobat, maybe? Actually, I could see that happening as Crobat's in ORAS and was even used by Archie and Maxie - maybe that could be their signature Mega?

Well... Gen 2 didn't really have all that many Pokémon to begin with. I mean... what other Pokémon from that gen would be given megas? The legendaries aren't really popular enough (at least not on the level of Mewtwo), the only starters to get megas were Kanto and Blaziken for ORAS promotion, a fair amount of Pokémon are pre-evolutions or branching paths of Gen 1 'mon... I'm trying hard to think of a Pokémon from Gen 2 that would be likely to get a Mega aside from those that already have one and the starters. Crobat, maybe? Actually, I could see that happening as Crobat's in ORAS and was even used by Archie and Maxie - maybe that could be their signature Mega?
They pretty much have to do something for dunsparce.

I swear I would squeal like a young girl at a Justin Beiber concert if Typhlosion received a mega at some point. Granted, Typhosion's move pool is about as exciting as Styrofoam peanuts... But still!

I don't know, I always thought that Slowking and Slowbro would be one of the next best options to receive Mega Evolutions just so ya could do a branching path for the fun of it. Then Kingdra, Dunsparce..... course im just grasping here but those are ideas non the less.

I don't know, I always thought that Slowking and Slowbro would be one of the next best options to receive Mega Evolutions just so ya could do a branching path for the fun of it. Then Kingdra, Dunsparce..... course im just grasping here but those are ideas non the less.
Ooh yeah, Kingdra, completely forgot about that. I guess that's a good candidate, yeah.

Noctowl, Ariados, Ledian, Bellossom, Politoed, Quagsire, Steelix, Xatu, Granbull, Qwilfish, Mantine and Skarmory would all be more than viable to receive Megas that I wouldn't blink twice at should Game Freak make an announcement.

Agreed. If they give Gen II more, they should probably give Gen IV more too. Gen IV is no more evo-happy than Gen II is baby-happy.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Well, I could see Crobat happening too, but the list of possibilities doesn't stop there: Lanturn, Granbull, Steelix, Jumpluff, Skarmory, Kingdra and Miltank would also be possible candidates.

But I definitely see your point too, Kurona. On paper, Gen. II only has 33% fewer Pokémon than Gen. I, which has 12 Megas, but a fair few of them get later-generation evolutions, and the rest are, frankly, not that notable. Still, there should be room for a couple more from Gen. II, not counting starters.

Noctowl, Ariados, Ledian, Bellossom, Politoed, Quagsire, Steelix, Xatu, Granbull, Qwilfish, Mantine and Skarmory would all be more than viable to receive Megas that I wouldn't blink twice at should Game Freak make an announcement.
I don't know... if any starting birds or bugs were to get Megas, I'm sure Pidgeot, Butterfree etc. would take priority.

I don't know... if any starting birds or bugs were to get Megas, I'm sure Pidgeot, Butterfree etc. would take priority.
You may be right, I was just pointing out that Gen II does have it's fair share of viable candidates, although I'm hoping with the recent Sableye announcement that we get a few more defense focused megas to play with.

To get a bit more on topic - I wonder how they will order the pokedex. Will it be a Hoenn/National dex as we've seen previously or will they split the Hoenn Dex up into Land/Water/Mountain like Kalos did?

Galladium

Banned deucer.
Mega Noctowl? Yes please.

On the subject of Gen V megas, the whole RU fanbase would go crazy if there ever was a Mega Druddigon.

Ooh yeah, Kingdra, completely forgot about that. I guess that's a good candidate, yeah.
Oh sure, give that thing an extra 100 BST to play with, especially in Sp. Atk, and let it retain its already good abilities...

Skore, I don't think they'll split the Hoenn dex up. Kalos is supposed to be utterly huge while Hoenn simply isn't. (aside from all that blasted water, but GF might just be making it a little more tolerable this time)

Hmm... come to think of it, between them, Gen. I and Gen. III have around 73% of the Mega Evolutions that we know of (while only having 40 % of the total amount of Pokémon). Assuming GameFreak hasn't burned all their powder yet (and I see no reason to believe so), I think we're going to see a couple more Mega Evolutions in the months before launch. My money is on something from Unova being next. With Diancie getting a Mega, it seems like the rule of "no late-generation Pokémon unless they're really popular or have a typing we haven't used yet" is soundly broken, and Gen. V remains the only generation without a Mega Evolution.

With this in mind, I also think we shouldn't expect too many more Gen. III Mega Evolutions. Counting the Latis separately, Gen. III already has the most Mega Evolutions, with 13. I can see the number hitting 15 with Metagross and Salamence, that being the limit until Gen. VII comes around (with "Primal Devolution" circumventing the limit, in the case of Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza and possibly 2x Zygarde and/or Xerneas/Yveltal).

I saw this helpful little chart on Pokémemes today, which gives a nice visualization of how dominant Gen. I and III are in the Mega field:

Gen 2 seems under-represented? It has 5 megas, compared to gen 4's 3 and gen 5's 0.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If Hoenn gets only two more Megas, I'm betting on Metagross and Milotic instead of Salamence. Salamence is Drake's signature pokémon and he's only an E4 member, while Milotic at least was Wallace's main, and who knows what relevance he's going to have in the remakes (please don't be the Sootopolis Gym Leader).

Then again, they fucking evolved Sableye. And frankly, who the hell cares about Sableye. Urgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)