Data Old Pokemon With New Abilities : How Will it Affect Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard Ability Additions:
|
|

Wigglytuff - Normal / Fairy
New Ability: Competitive (Boosts the Sp. Atk stat when a stat is lowered.)
Impact:
Finally, Wigglytuff received a useful ability. It is still very outclassed by the other new Fairy, Clefable, who has better stats and abilities. However, Wigglytuff could see a Special Attacking set as viable, as it has a great 95 Special Attack and a broad variety of Special Attacks. This ability is really good on Wigglytuff, as it has low Speed, so it won't mind coming in on Sticky Web and getting a +2 for it. Competitive will most likely be like Defiant, a +2, meaning even trying to lower its Special Attack will backfire. It might not see much more usage in tiers outside of NU, but it certainly has a Niche there as well. It also has phenomenal HP, so it can take a few hits as well.

|
|

Gothitelle - Psychic
New Ability:
Competitive (Boosts the Sp. Atk stat when a stat is lowered.)
Impact:
This ability is essentially useless, as the only real niche reason to use Gothitelle is Shadow Tag, it's Hidden Ability. It won't have too much of an impact really, but it could use it to become a very powerful Special Attacker if any of its stats are lowered. It could benefit because of Sticky Web, but it enjoys it's Speed so it is kind of a Dual-Edged Sword.

|
|

Ferrothorn - Grass / Steel
New Hidden Ability: Anticipation

Impact:

I honestly don't see any way in hell how it affects Ferrothorn. Now if it had gotten Flash Fire it would've been a different story :)))

Hidden Ability Changes:

|
|

|
|

Plusle / Minun - Electric
New Hidden Ability: Lightingrod / Volt Absorb (Previously Plus / Minus)
Impact:

Really, all it does is give mediocre Pokemon immunities to Electric-Type Attacks. It could essentially provide a boost to turn it into a threat, but it is still generally outclassed by many other things, such as Raichu. The 25% Health regain is nice, but it still won't be enough as it is very frail anyways. It might give them tiny niches if Raichu leaves the tier, but otherwise it isn't really that good anyways.

|
|

Dusclops - Ghost
New Hidden Ability: Frisk (Didn't have one before Gen 6)
Impact:

Dusclops didn't really get any boosts from this at all, besides the ability to scout for items. Pressure is better on Dusclops because of how it will be stalling and enjoys sucking away the PP of the opponent. It won't leave a huge impact on Dusclops, as it will most of the time prefer Pressure. Frisk could potentially scout for Scarfers, but other than that it really doesn't see much use on Dusclops.

|
|

Dusknoir - Ghost
New Hidden Ability: Frisk (Didn't have one before Gen 6)
Impact:

Dusknoir will make much more use of this ability than it's Pre-Evolution, as Dusknoir enjoys being able to see the foes Item to predict a switch or to stay in. On some stuff that are somewhat unpredictable, such as Entei, it will really enjoy being able to see what they have. It might be somewhat situational, but Dusknoir can make use of it.
|
|

Scolipede - Bug / Poison
New Hidden Ability: Speed Boost (Previously was Quick Feet)
Impact:

Scolipede just received a major boost, enough to boost it to OU in my opinion. Dat 100 Attack is just great. Its already high Speed, further boosted makes it Speeding Bullet! It has access to the fastest Baton Pass in the game - bar Ninjask. While also having access to Swords Dance to further Baton Pass, or to just outright sweep. Scolipede now becomes an even greater threat than it was, easily wrecking the new Fairy-types, along with the ever prominent Lati twins. Scolipede perhaps received the biggest boost in the Ability changes.

|
|

Chandelure - Ghost / Fire
New Hidden Ability: Infiltrator (Previously was Shadow Tag)
Impact:

Poor little Chandelure must have done something to piss of Gamefreak, maybe it pulled the shortest straw? Shadow Tag potentially turned it into an Uber threat, now it might never see the light of OU. It does have great stats, but that nerf was just... I don't know what they were thinking! I guess bypassing Substitutes is great and all, and no more worrying about Screens ruining your day! But really, Shadow Tag was infinitely better.

This is an on-going post, that will be updated when we discover more!

D I S C U S S

Last edited:
Wigglytuff got its sp attack raised to 95 bs . Scolipede got its attack boosted to 100 bs and i can defently see scolipede wreck in ou

|
|

Wigglytuff - Normal / Fairy
New Ability: Competitive (Boosts the Sp. Atk stat when a stat is lowered.)
Finally, Wigglytuff received a useful ability. It is still very outclassed by the other new Normal / Fairy, Clefable, who has better stats and abilities.
Just a minor nitpick, Clefable has the ever so slightly worse mono-Fairy typing, not Normal/Fairy as the OP says. Anyway, Anticipation Ferrothorn isn't quite as hilarious as it first seems because it alerts it of any random HP Fires. It's still far less useful than Iron Barbs, though. It honestly looked like Gamefreak never released ST Chandelure out of pure concern for game balance, but then they decided to give Mega Gengar Shadow Tag so I don't know what they were even thinking.

Last edited:
One thing to note:
Just a minor nitpick, Clefable has the slightly worse mono-Fairy typing. Anyway, Anticipation Ferrothorn isn't quite as hilarious as it first seems because it alerts it of any random HP Fires. It's still far less useful than Iron Barbs, though. It honestly looked like Gamefreak never released ST Chandelure out of pure game balance, but then they decided to give Mega Gengar Shadow Tag so I don't know what they were even thinking.
Mono Fairy is better than Normal/Fairy because it halves damage from Fighting atracks, most of which are physical and Fairies don't have really good Defense. Most Ghost attackers are Special attackers and most Fairies are more specially defensive.

In my opinion, anyways.

I would say I know exactly what GF was thinking when they pulled an utterly broken ability from Chandelure, but then they went and handed Speed Boost to Scolipede, so I again have no idea.

At least they haven't given Contrary to Victini yet. That thing would be unreal.

Does Scarf Chandelure outspeed Mega Gengar? Could Be handy to hit through its Subs,Other Pokemon don't enjoy Its massive attack hitting through their subs im sure.

Gothitelle has no speed so it should enjoy that ability alittle.

One thing to note:

Mono Fairy is better than Normal/Fairy because it halves damage from Fighting atracks, most of which are physical and Fairies don't have really good Defense. Most Ghost attackers are Special attackers and most Fairies are more specially defensive.

In my opinion, anyways.
I guess I was thinking more of Granbull, which really misses its Normal Stab. The Ghost immunity is always nice, though.

I still don't get why Gamefreak took Shadow Tag from Chandy, and then gave to an even more broken M-Gengar.

Anyway, Scolipede looks like the only one with a really outstanding new ability. Maybe Chandelure is too, bypassing Substitutes with 147 SAtk and Will-o'-the-wisp isn't really small...

Do we even know if it got taken away, I think there were 2 slots for hidden abilities so it's possible that this is just another one, we would need to see it Quick Feet Scolipede changes abilities when transferred in December but maybe Chandy still has some hope (now the question about when will they release it?)

I still don't get why Gamefreak took Shadow Tag from Chandy, and then gave to an even more broken M-Gengar.

Anyway, Scolipede looks like the only one with a really outstanding new ability. Maybe Chandelure is too, bypassing Substitutes with 147 SAtk and Will-o'-the-wisp isn't really small...
I get Gengar, because they have said Megas are supposed to be like Legendaries.

But I don't get Speed Boost. GF already saw how dangerous it was on a non-horrible pokemon like Blaziken, and then they decide to give it to Scolipede AND boost its stats.

I don't see much reason to run Infiltrator Chandelure. Flash Fire Lure is MUCH more dangerous, and if you manage to catch a Flash Fire during sun with Specs on, you can pretty much say GG to everything, as that thing outpowers SP Specs Zard, who can 2HKO Vaporeon with Fire Blast.

Yeah?

Defiant's a pretty good ability! Especially with Sticky Web existing now.
Defiant has at least Bisharp, which is decent enough with the ability. Competitive... doesn't really. Gothitelle would much rather use Shadow Tag. Wigglytuff could have a niche NU, but that's about it...

Competitive would've been awesome on the right Pokemons.

If it triggers on self-induced stat reductions we could've seen Overheat or Leaf Storms without drawbacks.

Ah well, maybe move tutors in the later games will give us something like that!

serperior is going to be big with contrary. it can run leaf storm/giga drain/dragon pulse/hp: water and hit everything except ferrothorn hard, while being extremely fast.

can you baton pass stat drops to it? like say have scizor use super power then baton pass it to serperior. I don't think anything learns close combat and baton pass, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what the point was upgrading Plusle / Minun, since they haven't been even remotely popular since gen. 3

Sword dance, spikes, baton pass for scolipede. He is flat out a better ninjask. And can hit on his own when needed. Life became bright for that bug.

Competitive would've been awesome on the right Pokemons.

If it triggers on self-induced stat reductions we could've seen Overheat or Leaf Storms without drawbacks.

Ah well, maybe move tutors in the later games will give us something like that!
Defiant doesn't work like that so I don't see how Competitive would

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
So, for pokemon who are losing an ability, such as chandelure with shadow tag, will my will they still keep their old abilities when I transfer them to x and y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)