OK What's that Star?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^First and foremost because he wondered what this thing might be. A4m is "anything goes", so it's certainly a valid thread.
Second, so the rest of us can laugh at the people who don't know where/what Makkah is, and then blame "stupid Arabic spelling" when told that this really is something everybody should know.
Hello - in America people don't tend to spell Mecca as Makkah because they speak English. We here in America do not know Arabic as it is a very difficult language to master (please don't say it isn't) and there is no reason to learn it unless you are going to work for the military or CIA or in foreign relations. We here in America know where Mecca is. Also: there is no reason why people NEED to know where Mecca is. Saying people need to know where Mecca is is like saying people need know exactly in what place Jesus was born. It's basically ego masturbation to think it's relevant information.

Also the star in the picture is probably just dirt on your lens.

EDIT: He was born is Bethlehem by the way.

I believe I was highlighted
Stealth Bragging thread exposed, ah hell naw.

Knowing where Makkah (which has been the official spelling for the city for 20 years now, longer before most people in this topic have been born, and I don't know how you pronounce Mecca but it sure as hell ain't different than Makkah, also lighten up, joke is joke, chillax brah) is probably the equivalent of knowing that Tokyo is in Japan or Rome is in Italy. It's just Captain Obvious material.

Anyhow, here's the bastard again:

Same place, nearly the same time (if I waited for another hour it would probably sync with the OP picture).

So, it's either a geosynchronous satellite, Venus (the ultimate sky troll for all star gazers) or Team Rocket getting kicked out of the latest B/W anime episode.

Hmmm, tough choice.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Direction? As in, is it in the north, south, east, or west, or between? Straight up or just above the horizon?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Knowing where Makkah (which has been the official spelling for the city for 20 years now, longer before most people in this topic have been born, and I don't know how you pronounce Mecca but it sure as hell ain't different than Makkah, also lighten up, joke is joke, chillax brah) is probably the equivalent of knowing that Tokyo is in Japan or Rome is in Italy.
The official spelling of Germany is Deutschland (or Bundesrepublik Deutschland if you want to get really anal). But language is weird and we all call it Germany and you call it Almāniyā if Wikipedia isn't lying to me. So don't get high and mighty about your city, this is something every language does for every location, even without a language barrier English speakers outside the USA call us the states instead of America.

That's not to say it isn't all silly and that we probably should be teaching kids to call Germany Deutschland in our schools, I'm just not affecting change by being less understood in the mean time.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know why you people got so worked up. I thought it was called Makkah everywhere, but whatever. Meccah can work too, I suppose.

And by the way, it hasn't been called Makkah for 20 years. It's been called Makkah for as long as it existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)