Offensive Espathra [QC 0/1][GP 0/1]

All right, I know its near the end of Reg C, but when I was doing updates and I saw this didn't have a set it felt like something that should be corrected. Despite the fact that Espathra usage has tanked massively, this set is probably the most popular as far as high-level play is concerned. It should be represented on Dex above the other two sets, or at least over Baton Pass.

If this doesn't get on site before Reg D, then that's fine. I'll cross that bridge when and if it happens.

The set has been narrowed down considerably from what was on site. The basis for this condensed set were the following three reports here, here and here.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Lumina Crash
move 2: Tera Blast
move 3: Protect
move 4: Dazzling Gleam / Shadow Ball
item: Sitrus Berry / Focus Sash
tera type: Fighting / Fire
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Modest
evs: 140 HP / 164 Def / 148 SpA / 44 SpD / 12 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Even without Stored Power, Espathra can still apply strong offensive pressure with the combination of Lumina Crash's Special Defense drops and Speed Boost.

* **Protect**: Using Protect for a free turn of Speed Boost makes it easier for Espathra to revenge kill weakened targets.

* **Dazzling Gleam**: Dazzling Gleam lets Espathra hit Dark-types without having to rely on Terastallization.

* **Shadow Ball**: Lumina Crash followed up with Shadow Ball is the most reliable way of 2HKOing Flutter Mane.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - High**: With the large number of strong Dark-types and Steel-types to contend with, Espathra is heavily reliant on Terastallization to patch up its offensive coverage.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting hits both Dark- and Steel-types for good damage, and the resistance to Sucker Punch is a welcome benefit.

* **Fire**: Tera Fire is the strongest option against Steel-types like Scizor and Gholdengo, hitting them for super-effective damage and resisting their Steel-type attacks.

Items
========

* **Sitrus Berry**: Sitrus Berry works well on bulky Espathra sets. The burst in health provides ample insurance against Baxcalibur's Ice Shard and, combined with a Dark-type resisting Tera type, Chien-Pao's and Meowscarada's Sucker Punch.

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash helps Espathra guarantee two turns of attacks, making it easier to Lumina Crash and follow up with appropriate coverage against healthy foes.

EV Spreads
========

* **140 HP / 164 Def / 148 SpA / 44 SpD / 12 Spe with Modest**: The bulk investment always survives Adamant Meowscarada's Flower Trick and, after Terastallization, almost always survives Modest Choice Specs Flutter Mane's Shadow Ball. With 12 Speed EVs, Espathra will outrun Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp after two turns of Speed Boost.

* **4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Modest or Timid**: A simple offensive spread with maximum Speed investment lets Espathra outrun Booster Energy Iron Bundle after two turns of Speed Boost, even with a Modest nature.

Last edited:

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is an AMQC check so you dont have to implement if you dont want to
All right, I know its near the end of Reg C, but when I was doing updates and I saw this didn't have a set it felt like something that should be corrected. Despite the fact that Espathra usage has tanked massively, this set is probably the most popular as far as high-level play is concerned. It should be represented on Dex above the other two sets, or at least over Baton Pass.

If this doesn't get on site before Reg D, then that's fine. I'll cross that bridge when and if it happens.

The set has been narrowed down considerably from what was on site. The basis for this condensed set were the following three reports here, here and here.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Even without Stored Power, Espathra can still apply strong offensive pressure with the combination of Lumina Crash's Special Defense drops and Speed Boost.

* **Protect**: Using Protect for a free turn of Speed Boost makes it easier for Espathra to revenge kill weakened targets. I'd write "...revenge kill foes that would otherwise outspeed Espathra, such as x y and z"

* **Dazzling Gleam**: Dazzling Gleam lets Espathra hit Dark-types Like? list relevent dark types that DGleam can dent. It's an Espathra so you're not doing anything crazy to them but I'd list targets that Espathra can do decent dmg to. Like, being able to do 26 min to (SR) Ting-Lu with gleam isn't -terrible- for a 'mon like Espathra IMO without having to rely on Terastallization.

* **Shadow Ball**: Lumina Crash followed up with Shadow Ball is the most reliable way of 2HKOing Flutter Mane.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - High**: With the large number of strong Dark-types and Steel-types give examples of things Espathra needs to tera to beat to contend with, Espathra is heavily reliant on Terastallization to patch up its offensive coverage.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting hits both Dark- and Steel-typesmore examples for good damage, and the resistance to Sucker Punch is a welcome benefit.

* **Fire**: Tera Fire is the strongest option against Steel-types like Scizor and Gholdengo, hitting them for super-effective damage and resisting their Steel-type attacks.

Items
========

* **Sitrus Berry**: Sitrus Berry works well on bulky Espathra sets. The burst in health provides ample insurance against Baxcalibur's Ice Shard and, combined with a Dark-type resisting Tera type, Chien-Pao's and Meowscarada's Sucker Punch.

* **Focus Sash**: Focus Sash helps Espathra guarantee two turns of attacks, making it easier to Lumina Crash and follow up with appropriate coverage against healthy foes.

EV Spreads
========

* **140 HP / 164 Def / 148 SpA / 44 SpD / 12 Spe with Modest**: The bulk investment always survives Adamant Meowscarada's Flower Trick and, after Terastallization, almost always survives Modest Choice Specs Flutter Mane's Shadow Ball. With 12 Speed EVs, Espathra will outrun Jolly Choice Scarf Garchomp after two turns of Speed Boost.

* **4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Modest or Timid**: A simple offensive spread with maximum Speed investment lets Espathra outrun Booster Energy Iron Bundle after two turns of Speed Boost, even with a Modest nature.

This is an AMQC check so you dont have to implement if you dont want to

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* **Protect**: Using Protect for a free turn of Speed Boost makes it easier for Espathra to revenge kill weakened targets. I'd write "...revenge kill foes that would otherwise outspeed Espathra, such as x y and z"

* **Dazzling Gleam**: Dazzling Gleam lets Espathra hit Dark-types Like? list relevent dark types that DGleam can dent. It's an Espathra so you're not doing anything crazy to them but I'd list targets that Espathra can do decent dmg to. Like, being able to do 26 min to (SR) Ting-Lu with gleam isn't -terrible- for a 'mon like Espathra IMO without having to rely on Terastallization.

Tera Types
========

* **Tera Dependency - High**: With the large number of strong Dark-types and Steel-types give examples of things Espathra needs to tera to beat to contend with, Espathra is heavily reliant on Terastallization to patch up its offensive coverage.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting hits both Dark- and Steel-typesmore examples for good damage, and the resistance to Sucker Punch is a welcome benefit.

Items
========

EV Spreads
========

This hasn't been approved by QC yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)