np: UU Stage 1 - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I'm not sure why any of the voting paragraphs said things other than 100 base attack + pure power + 130bp almost drawbackless stab fighting move, but it's gone so everyone celebrate, all of your teams are either banned now or way better.

I forgot losing half health when you missed counted as 'nearly drawbackless', silly bill.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm really excited for these shifts. Pinsirite will be banned real fast and Pinsir itself will be nothing special, but Heracross and Salamence could be fantastic additions to the tier. With Heracross coming back, I'm expecting there to be a sharp decrease in the usage of bulky Water-types and Machamp and an increase in the usage of Crobat. Like a lot of Crobat. Maybe Pidgeot will have some fun too because it can revenge kill Heracross. Poor Machamp is going to fall in usage a lot because it's just really outclassed as a bulky Water-type killer by Heracross, especially because (if it wants) can invest a bit more in bulk thanks to its naturally higher Speed.

Salamence will definitely be interesting to see around here. I think that Choice Scarf Hydreigon (and maybe Hydreigon in general) will drop in usage because it is revenge killed by Scarf Salamence and doesn't revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence. Also, Haxorus will have a severe drop in usage because its just really outclassed by Salamence, which as better Speed, the ability to go mixed thanks to its good Special Attack, better bulk (which is further bolstered by Intimidate), and access to Moxie to make late-game cleaning much easier.

The idea is that Jirachi will hopefully go to OU by usage so we can have that new diverse tier we all expected last month. So cross your fingers we aren't disappointed with stale drops this time around.

I'm predicting Salamence to be an absolute monster, no doubt A+ rank in viability, it could be too much for the tier and certainly will make for a whole lot of speed ties because of how many base 100 speed mons there are.

The only real reason Mega Pinsir is seeing a huge drop in usage in OU is due to the new Mega hype. M-Pinsir in UU would be absurd.

If Mence drops, I could see it getting banned. The ScarfMoxie set is probably my favorite set, but I do think Mix or DD would be the most effective. There aren't many things that can flat out wall mence, but I do think the SR weakness, 4x weakness to ice, and the fact that fairies are very good, it could make mence manageable. When it was UU, I never had any trouble :S

Not really looking forward to having Cross back tbh, I felt towards the end of its time in UU in XY it was becoming a lil too much to handle, but we'll see.

I can't wait to give balkmence another shot. Just when I was getting used to it last time OU took it away.

Not really looking forward to having Cross back tbh, I felt towards the end of its time in UU in XY it was becoming a lil too much to handle, but we'll see.
Honestly I am having similar fears of Heracross. BandMachamp is already very tough to switch into without stellar prediction and Heracross is even better than Machamp. Not to mention it has other sets like Scarf, SD, or Flame Orb. Since Heracross left in August we have been shying away from a fighting type dominated metagame but with Heracross as a likely drop I could see it shifting back very easily.

If Mence drops, I could see it getting banned. The ScarfMoxie set is probably my favorite set, but I do think Mix or DD would be the most effective. There aren't many things that can flat out wall mence, but I do think the SR weakness, 4x weakness to ice, and the fact that fairies are very good, it could make mence manageable. When it was UU, I never had any trouble :S
Tbh mence isn't that broken, it probably would have stayed if OU had not taken it. Although it seems to outclassed hydrei, the weaknesses you mention really hold it back. The inability to not switch in as much is really hampering, and often finds its defensive sets walled by steels, and it's dd sets requiring 1-2 boosts to break through standard walls. I think hera will be much more of a bl candidate, but I'm not even sure he'll leave either.

If it's just regular heracross, I don't think we should worry too much. Not much as changed between BW2 and ORAS UU. Crobat, Gligar, and Suicine are all pretty sturdy checks, and the banded set has quite a few threats because of it's rather not OP speed. The Moxie set was always inferior to the guts banded set imo.

The guts banded set is supposed to be a wallbreaker, so i don't get why ppl are so surprised it has limited switch ins :S

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
The only real reason Mega Pinsir is seeing a huge drop in usage in OU is due to the new Mega hype. M-Pinsir in UU would be absurd.
While Mega Pinsir will be absurd in UU, that is not the reason why mega Pinsir is seeing a huge drop in usage, its more like Mega Pinsir is much easier to handle in OU then it was before, with stuff like Mega Diancie and Mega Metagross around

Do note that those are just the January stats though, the shifts will be based on weighted stats over all 3 months, so things that saw particular spikes in just the past month like Starmie, Celebi and Serperior may stick around.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Do note that those are just the January stats though, the shifts will be based on weighted stats over all 3 months, so things that saw particular spikes in just the past month like Starmie, Celebi and Serperior may stick around.
January takes up 5/6 of the weighted stats though, so while it's not 100% accurate, its still pretty accurate for predicting our actual tier shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)