np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmph, chlorophyll/drought is the only combination in OU left, wonder how long it'll take to ban that...>.<
Try.. never.

Sun is not broken as of yet. Even normal balanced teams lacking weather starters can deal with them. So i doubt that Chlorophyll/drought would be needed just for Venusaur/Victrebell/ Shiftry(lol)...

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hmph, chlorophyll/drought is the only combination in OU left, wonder how long it'll take to ban that...>.<
stoutland and sandslash (once released) can abuse sand rush as well, and stoutland really isn't that bad, I actually expect stoutland to rise in usage to take place of excadrill, stoutland can sweep with a band boosted return after one of your pokemon has been koed

Volcanora is easy to counter for any defensive team. Why? Volcanora can only run 1 set, so counter 2. For example, Heatran walls it without HP ground, if it has that, the dragonite and gyarados counter it. Even more simple, if it runs any hidden power, it can't run chesto-rest which means Blissey and Chansey are solid counters.

You don't run a defensive team, its ok, you can run a scarf now.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thing is that sun guys are frail(well except Venusaur),don't have boosted STAB like most swift swimmers,while Lilligant/Sawsbuck might be faster than Excadrill they are also way weaker and easier to check.

Now that Excadrill is banned, I guess it's pretty obvious that the Suspect Test process aims to ban every single suspect. That shit went without a single majority for like 4 times in a row, but it got nominated again and again until people banned it. Wow.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good to see Excadrill gone as it was severly limiting the options in ou.
But when DW Breloom and DW Conkeldur are realeased i thnik that he definitely deserves a second chance in ou.

stoutland and sandslash (once released) can abuse sand rush as well, and stoutland really isn't that bad, I actually expect stoutland to rise in usage to take place of excadrill, stoutland can sweep with a band boosted return after one of your pokemon has been koed
Stoutland is horrible. It's movepool is so barren that it doesn't even get EQ. It has absolutely no way of getting past Rock/Steel types bar a weak Fire Fang. And a Banded Return is a horrible idea. Any ghost stops you cold.

Sandslash is better but nowhere near Excadrill level.

Now that Excadrill is banned, I guess it's pretty obvious that the Suspect Test process aims to ban every single suspect. That shit went without a single majority for like 4 times in a row, but it got nominated again and again until people banned it. Wow.
I remember there being some talk about removing Pokemon from the suspect table after they'd been voted OU so many times, but... :evan:

I wonder what shift in the metagame arguably made it suddenly uber.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Good to see Excadrill gone as it was severly limiting the options in ou.
But when DW Breloom and DW Conkeldur are realeased i thnik that he definitely deserves a second chance in ou.
The problem being that DW Breloom would be literally the only counter to Excadrill. Having only one counter is still broken, as it would force everyone to run it.

Iron Fist Conkeldurr needs Choice Band to deal with Excadrill effectively.

guys gliscor is the only excadrill "counter" -.-

and i've been trying some weatherless ho and it is AMAZING - it is amazing how much terrakion and lucario an kill everything when not having to worry about excadrill...

Stoutland is realeased, its ok, its a great check to many things, not a sweeper though. Sandslash is pretty good though, I have seen quite a few dreamworld players reach the top of the later with it.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stoutland is horrible. It's movepool is so barren that it doesn't even get EQ. It has absolutely no way of getting past Rock/Steel types bar a weak Fire Fang. And a Banded Return is a horrible idea. Any ghost stops you cold.

Sandslash is better but nowhere near Excadrill level.

thats why you send in stoutland after the ghosts are gone, you could also run a magic item called a life orb, but you miss out on some koes, stoutland is not a poe you send in early game, it is a late game sweeper/revenge killer, Use stoutland as such.

i hope you all realize that nite, volca, and deo-e are slightly more powerful (not that they weren't already) because not only they lost a check in excadrill but since sand is now a bit less viable, none of them will be pestered by that loss of multiscale, loss of a sash, or loss of 6% each turn that we know all of them hate

i hope you all wanted a sun dominated metagame because that's what you're going to get

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Finally i can stop putting gliscor/skarmory on every damn team i make.

Not sure about the Thundurus ban though sure he was an annoying bastard, but he was absolutly beatable without dedicated counters.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
It's too bad Stoutland doesn't get any good moves bar Return.

it gets what it needs (bar eq) thngs such as

crunch
fire fang (lol i deal 90% to ferrothorn)
ice fang (fuck you gliscor)
wild charge (die skarmory)
pursuit (you want to switch, TOO BAD!)

as i said, it's movepool may seem barren but it gets what it needs for the most part.

Thrilled by the voting results.

Before everyone jumps on the Volcarona train, remember that ScarfLandorus and ScarfTerrakion are now much more viable. Drizzle and Sandstorm are still around, too, it's not like Tyranitar's usage was directly correlated to the sand abusers like Toed's and Tales' are.

My thoughts: I'm actually expecting to see Salamence rise in usage, particularly the DD set. Previously, Dragonite's bulk was far more useful, since both of them could expect to be revenged by Excadrill, but now the speed gap between 80 and 100 is significant. I'd like to see this for sure.

Hyper offense can now shine - Jolteon, Alakazam, Mienshao...the list of viable candidates goes on.

And Gliscor can fucking die at last. Sure it walls a bunch of stuff but its biggest niche is now gone. Most of the fighters have ways around it anyway - Terrakion can KO with boosted LO Stone Edge, Virizion and Mienshao have HP Ice, Scrafty has Ice Punch, and Gliscor doesn't do too much to Drought either.

This round should be fun.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
it gets what it needs (bar eq) thngs such as

crunch
fire fang (lol i deal 90% to ferrothorn)
ice fang (fuck you gliscor)
wild charge (die skarmory)
pursuit (you want to switch, TOO BAD!)

as i said, it's movepool may seem barren but it gets what it needs for the most part.
Why are you mentioning Pursuit? I can name 3 better Pursuiters:
Weavile
Tyranitar
Scizor

chlorophyll/drought won't get banned it doesn't have the raw power that swimmers do with drizzle.

people keep forgetting that swimmers are so powerful under rain because they don't just get a speed boost but also effectively get double stab with rain boosting water moves.

Chlorophyll abusers don't have this benefit since none of them are fire typed.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem being that DW Breloom would be literally the only counter to Excadrill. Having only one counter is still broken, as it would force everyone to run it.

Iron Fist Conkeldurr needs Choice Band to deal with Excadrill effectively.
Excadrill already has 2 counters:Gliscor and Skarmory.
So with DW Breloom we get another one,and also we get its best check in the form of DW Conk.
Btw the only thing that Conk need to ohko Excadrill with Mach Punch is Life Orb.Here is an Iron Fist Mach Punch with a Life Orb from Conk to 4 HP Exca:
416 Atk vs 156 Def & 362 HP (48 Base Power): 356 - 422 (98.34% - 116.57%)
1hko after SR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)