Metagame np: NU Stage 10 - I'll Be Home For Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mambo has had a lot of success with mixed swellow so maybe he can weigh in? I recommended silk scarf to him over life orb and im pretty sure he had as mcuh success as LO
HI KIYO

My reasoning behind Silk Scarf Swellow is to serve as a guaranteed answer to most Fighting- and Grass-types, notably Sceptile and Sawk. Life Orb, understandably, only gives Swellow a couple of switch-ins and U-turn'ing out of its checks is pretty essential. Silk Scarf-boosted Boomburst is still doing a good amount to most foes and bluffing Choice Specs allows the user to play much safer and still punish switch-ins with Heat Wave. Obviously, Rhydon is pretty much a hard-stop to this set (even more-so than to the Specs set); however, should the user choose to reveal that Swellow isn't Specs, U-turn'ing out of the matchup effectively eliminates the chance that they double-switch into an even worse matchup. Yada yada yada, it's a cool set and I enjoy it more than Choice Specs atm.

4 Atk Swellow Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 320-380 (113.4 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sceptile: 219-258 (77.6 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 241-285 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Swellow Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 288-342 (98.6 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ren-chon I've been using HP Electric over Protect (keeping Baton Pass for that team, but you can run Protect>BP too) on LO Combusken as well, using it more as a dedicated breaker than a breaker that's also pretty decent against offense. It's really good, highly recommend it.

Happy holidays to everyone as well! sick gif Teddeh

I mean tbh LO doesn't wear you down that badly in my experience as you will only normally need to click BB 1-2 times per match at maximum as your main spammable move is still boomburst. Idk it deals with Yama and pure SDef walls a lot easier and quicker, and LO actually gives Heat Wave some bite to deter shit like Steelix and Klinklang at least to some extent.

So I've been talking to some people about Ninjask for awhile and I almost always hear "I'd rather use Scyther" or "Ninjask is just a worse Scyther" or something along those lines. I just wanted to talk about the differences of the two and explained why I think Ninjask is better then Choiced Scyther right now.

So right now Ninjask does everything Scarf Scyther wants to. It out speeds +1 Lilligant and Vivilon, it out speeds Sceptile and Swellow, and it out speeds a lot of other random scarfers like Sawk and Mes. One thing Scarf Scyther has on Ninjask is being able to out speed Ludicolo in rain, but given how situational that is and how much power you actually drop it comes off to not normally be a worth while trade. The thing you gain with using CB Ninjask is that you hit A LOT harder then if you went with Scarf Scyther. Now imo scarf Scyther has always been kinda meh, but I see Ninjask as a clear upgrade here.

When you compare CB sets things actually get a little interesting. Ninjask offers all the same speed mentioned above so I won't go over them again as using Ninjask over CB Scyther will obviously let you hit the speed tiers that only Scarf can hit, so I wont go to in depth on this for sake for repeating myself.
What Ninjask also offers aside from more speed is the ability to run Final Gambit which can open the door for your team after you've taken down/ chunked something it. Being able to do 74% to standard lix can open the door for things like SD Sceptile to set up and clean, specs Swellow to be able to spam BoomBurst, or even something like CM Barrier mushy to set up without fear of Toxic from Steelix.
One thing CB has over Ninjask tho is power. Now the power from u-turn is actually quite comparable, reaching nearly the same power. The difference comes from Scyther AA which hits a lot harder then anything Ninjask can dish out.

252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 115-136 (30.1 - 35.6%) -- 34.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 99-117 (25.9 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 130-154 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 130-154 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 168-198 (44 - 51.9%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

But the cool thing Ninjask can do is it's viable for it to go Adamant. You miss out on +1 Vivillon and +1 Lilligant (so I recommend packing something like AV Magmortar for those 2) but you actually gain a lot of damage from it. Lets do the same calcs again only doing Adamant.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 126-148 (33 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 108-127 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 144-169 (37.7 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 130-154 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 168-198 (44 - 51.9%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

So the damage is a bit more comparable when you opt to go Adamant, having almost the exact same power with u-turn and only having roughly 7% difference in this calc between Scythers AA and Ninjasks X-Scissor.

So generally speaking I find it really hard to justify using Choiced Scyther over Ninjask right now. Scyther can offer up things that's risky for Ninjask such as being a safer switch into Malamar or Sawk due to the better bulk, but at the costs of the amazing damage/ speed tier that scarf/ banded respectively give up. Ninjask also has Infiltrator which is really handy as it means it can revenge kill Sub Sceptile and the few Sub Vivillon that are starting to pop up. I think Ninjask has a really solid place inside the meta right now and I recommend giving it a shot some time.

Last edited:
I understand the niche that ninjask carries, but one thing I think is extremely valuable is the speed tier that rotom sits in and the ability to hit said rotom. Scarfed scyther A) outspeeds rotom, jynx, RD ludicolo (HUGE RIGHT NOW) B) learns both knock off and pursuit to trap / kill it and C) ninjask has neither. Whilst formidably scyther has more versatility, coverage and a surprise factor if it is indeed choiced, since 70% of scyther's sets are evio.
252 Atk Scyther Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 234-276 (96.6 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

secondly, the ability to live certain hits that are important, especially since it does an extremely similar role to scyther.
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ninjask: 255-302 (96.9 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scyther: 177-211 (62.9 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I appreciate that the extra power may be nice at chip damage on counters / checks such as rhydon, regirock etc, however those mons have both fallen out of favour recently. Hence the main answers to pokemon such as ninjask and scyther are things like steelix, which the damage difference really isn't noticeable, whilst scyther again can use knock off to remove steelix's form of recovery and hence make up for the lack of power.

Overall I can see many reasons why i'd prefer to use scarfed scyther over banded ninjask and I believe it does outclass it in many respects. There's more than just damage output imo.

Knock off, more bulk, and out speeding scarf jinx are well and good and some teams would very much like to have what scarf Scyther offers. But I'd be closer to say these are niches that Scyther has on Ninjask then the other way around. Knock off isn't all that important as you 3hko rotom with banded u-turn anyways and gain momentum off it. Any time you click knock off with Scyther not only do you lose momentum, you also lose potential momentum you could have gotten from just click u-turn, so I really don't value having knock off all too highly. As for living HP ice from Sceptile and out speeding Scarf Jinx/ Rotom(not that scarf rotom is common atm)/ Ludicolo in rain, these are all important things it has over Ninjask. But you lose out on so much that I'd say unless your team needs all of thes eor most of them, there is no reason not to pick Ninjask just from the sheer power gap.

Again, I see these as niches Scyther has over Ninjask, not the other way around. The power gap will generally keep Ninjask as the better pick until you come across those few reasons to pick Scyther. Ninjask is just going to be the better pick of the 2 in a general case.

I think you're also under selling the power gap, you're correct in saying that against lix it doesn't matter too much as it takes negligible damage from both, but against the rest of the tier it actually matters a lot. I even didn't post calcs showing it off in my OP, but I can here to highlight it a bit.

252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 83-98 (34.4 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 63-75 (26.1 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 288-342 (88.8 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 380-450 (117.2 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 216-254 (49.8 - 58.6%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 164-194 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Audino: 153-180 (44 - 51.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Audino: 117-138 (33.7 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(showing off general power on a neutral hit)

Now these were all with Jolly. Lets look at how Adamant fairs in the damage department. I'll use the same calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 91-108 (37.7 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 63-75 (26.1 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 416-492 (128.3 - 151.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 288-342 (88.8 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 236-278 (54.5 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 164-194 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Audino: 117-138 (33.7 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Audino: 166-196 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

So yeah. Damage is a bit higher then just something that's nice for chip damage. One important calc is that bulky SD Sceptile can live a u-turn, meaning you're forced to say in and aa to actually kill it if it's at full. This actually really sucks for the Scyther player.

Over all there are a few moments where you can argue that Scarf Scyther would better fit a team then Ninjask, but majority of teams I feel like don't need on every team to out speed ludicolo, scarf jinx, and have this be the main way to deal with Sceptile to where living an HP Ice becomes super relevant. Scarf Scyther has niches over Ninjask, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why are you bringing up Adamant Ninjask at all? It's already been stated that you lose on an important speed tier by doing so, most notably missing out on every relevant scarfer and +1 lilligant. If you're main argument for using Ninjask is speed and slightly better power than Scyther you should be using Adamant Scarf I guess, it's literally 3 points faster than Jolly Ninjask and more powerful. Given the benefits of added bulk and a superior movepool I really don't see any reason to ever use Ninjask over scyther.

Oh and since you're mainly comparing Choice Scarf Scyther and Ninjask can you stop saying "choiced scyther" because that implys band as well which scyther is predominantly better at doing because of things like this:

[11:28:59 AM] Kiyo: 252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 112-133 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- 64.5% chance to 3HKO
[11:29:09 AM] Kiyo: 252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 175-207 (48 - 56.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

being able to 2hko one of the most common catch-all physically defensive pokemon in the tier is really important for a mon thats supposed to be a wallbreaker.

tl;dr if you want a fast cleaner, adamant scarf scyther is still better than ninjask. if you want a wallbreaker ninjask is too weak to do that even with adamant cb, whereas scyther does it with jolly cb.

why not just use brave bird on specs swellow? even timid ohkos sceptile and 2hkos hariyama

0- Atk Swellow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 254-302 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (idk what EV spread yama uses, but this seems reasonable. if you go naive its 66% min on this EV spread)

yes you give up U-turn or coverage which sucks a bit, but imo it's better than using LO on a mon which is gonna spam boomburst all the time anyway. it's a bit of a momentum loss (lol at 120 BP stab move being something you dont really want to be locked into), but less so than for example hp grass or heat wave. also gets the kill on offensive cryogonal if that's still a thing

Last edited:

Mixed aboma is going to be most scurriest or the fear of physical or special. Carrying base 120bp STAB wood hammer will soon scare of hariyamas, giving aurorus fierce competition for ice wall breaker in this tier.

Last edited:

On more serious note Abomasnow would give sceptile alot more competition on being a very good grass special. Only nice thing abomasnow has is that it has stab Blizzard and Ice Shard. I'm really excited how this meta is going to work out.

Shit I didn't realize we'd get drops. Super excited if I'm being honest. Aboma will be fun as hell, Ampha might be overshadowed right now as an electric pivot but I'm sure a use can be found for it. SpecsPharos maybe? It's biggest thing over the Rotoms is its SpA but a slew of cons make that one pro a bit less meaningful. Focus Blast, Heal Bell and Power Gem are dope tho.

With the mega separations happening this tier is becoming more and more like the old one I used to love in BW. I'm really excited to see how mega drops mold tiers and influence other mons rising/dropping in use.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Finally, a solid check to Sceptile for Offense that's not a Scarfer or Swellow.
if you can dodge focus blasts or crit with ice shard its deffo a check.

Ampharos won't do much. sure it has an amazing spa stat but it's slow and lanturn and rotom are just better electric types (maybe TR could be a thing to use it in??)
Abomasnow is probably gonna be overhyped in all honesty, it does have some nice resists but the plethora of weakness make it seem like it's gonna need a lot of support compared to Sceptile and Lilligant, who need little. If anything, SD Abomasnow seems like the best set as +2 ice shard ohko bulky sd tile and ice/grass/ground coverage is really good.

amphy is a neat mon b/c of focus blast being able to hit grounds like lix and pilo, but its still gonna face competition from lanturn as an offensive pivot because lanturn trades the extra power for far superior typing and ability. I dont expect it to stay NU (it'll probably be PU within the month), but it'll be a fun niche mon to use.

aboma on the other hand looks like its gonna be a beast. its a nice little sceptile (and swellow if you opt for soundproof) check / stong breaker rolled into one. i think people are gonna overrate it at first due to the lack of solid defensive answers in the tier, but i think queen's right in saying that its gonna need more support due to the mediocre defensive typing, vulnerability to hazards, etc. its definitely going to make its presence felt at first because of how strong of a balance breaker that it is, but i can see the meta eventually adjusting to be a little more offensive to handle it.

if you can dodge focus blasts or crit with ice shard its deffo a check.

Ampharos won't do much. sure it has an amazing spa stat but it's slow and lanturn and rotom are just better electric types (maybe TR could be a thing to use it in??)
Abomasnow is probably gonna be overhyped in all honesty, it does have some nice resists but the plethora of weakness make it seem like it's gonna need a lot of support compared to Sceptile and Lilligant, who need little. If anything, SD Abomasnow seems like the best set as +2 ice shard ohko bulky sd tile and ice/grass/ground coverage is really good.
Chances are Abomasnow is going to be overhyped, but that still does not detract from the fact that its a very effective wallbreaker. Theoretically, these are two sets that could theoretically work for Abomasnow in this metagame:

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 156 Atk / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard
- Earthquake/Focus Blast

100 Speed EVs outspeeds 40 Spe Lanturn. Run-of-the-mill mixed Wallbreaker. Deals with a lot of popular defensive Pokemon in the tier pretty well because Ice is a surprisingly good STAB in this metagame and no-miss Blizzard makes the wallbreaking relatively consistent.
252+ SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Steelix: 242-286 (68.3 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Audino: 152-179 (37 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 426-504 (102.8 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Musharna: 208-246 (48 - 56.8%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 174-211 (61.9 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 174-211 (53.7 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 174-211 (59.7 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Scyther: 101-120 (29.4 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swellow: 187-221 (71.6 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lilligant: 156-187 (55.5 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 406-478 (101.2 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Vivillon: 213-252 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom-S: 117-140 (48.5 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage

252+ SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Vileplume: 439-517 (124.3 - 146.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 132 SpD Skuntank: 251-296 (72.3 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Black Sludge recovery
156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Xatu: 133-159 (39.8 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 273-321 (81.9 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Black Sludge recovery

This is just a small glimpse into Abomasnow's wallbreaking and Offense-checking capabilities. As you can see, it pretty much dicks a lot of common elements on NU balance. Furthermore, not many Pokemon in NU can safely switch into it bar Hariyama. Passive Hail damage really dicks with all playstyles in general (Lefties negation and decreased longevity overall). In my honest opinion, it's definitely a good wallbreaker for Offense and will have a considerable presence in the metagame.

Last edited:
So is this where hail teams become good? Hail now not only has hax on its side with snow cloak shit, but now has one amazing wallbreaker and setter and one potentially amazing wallbreaker/setter, who also has stab priority. Another to note about abomasnow is it stops chatot from spamming boomburst because of soundproof, I know this isnt a huge thing because of heat wave, but its still smth to note

Reactions: nv

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Ayy we got Abomasnow

Abomasnow @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning / Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

While not as good as mixed Abomasnow, I think Swords Dance Abomasnow can be a great sweeper thanks to +2 Ice Shard hitting pretty hard with the popularity of stuff like Sceptile and Swellow. Wood Hammer hits super hard, but can wear Aboma down pretty quickly with recoil, so Seed Bomb is an option. Earthquake hits Steel types and Fire types hard. Life Orb increases Aboma's damage output, while Lum Berry can be used to set up on Scald easier. Snow Warning can wear weakened threats down, but Soundproof will probably be the preferred option to switch in on Specs Swellow. The EV spread is simple, making Abomsnow as powerful on the physical side as it can while 252 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed base 45's, or something like that. You can probably add more bulk to set up easier. Overall, while this set doesn't have the immediate power as the mixed Life Orb set, but it can be a cool physical sweeper thanks to Abomasnow's coverage and priority.

Ampharos seems a bit too outclassed to be very good, but it does have a high Special Attack stat with unique coverage moves in Focus Blast and Power Gem, and Heal Bell for utility. I could see it being ranked at C rank for it's unique niches, but it still has a lot of competition.

So, this meta will change a bit, especially with Abomasnow's presence in the tier threatening frail mons like Sceptile thanks to Ice Shard, but overall I think it will be really fun! And to think, in February we can get Charizard, or even the mon I REALLY want, Gastrodon. (Believe guys, believe. Or tell RU to stop using it, IDK!)

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
+
/

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 84 Atk / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass
- Protect / Hidden Power [Electric]

or

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Flame Charge

Gotta admit I haven't tested it yet but damn if this core looks threatening. Mix Aboma rips apart balanced cores and is an specially good way to deal with Hariyama switch-ins as Wood Hammer is a 2HKO, all that while also dealing weakening AV Magmortar and dealing with bulky waters like Mantine, Pelipper and Samurott, all checks to the Fire-types sweepers. After they are weakened enough, all you have to do is pull off a speed boost and win (if you hit your moves, that is). This isn't limited to those two fire-types only, you can also use Pyroar, SD Samu (greatly appreaciates weakened water-types and having a partner that can check grasses) and some other obscure 'mon I might not be remembering rn. Oh, and the EVs for aboma are for outspeeding neutral max spe rott and 2hkoing 128 def hariyama with wood hammer, but you can use whatever other spread you want.

I'm not too sure about Wood Hammer on Abomasnow, while you can 2HKO AV Yama, I feel this kinda takes away from one of Abomasnow's niches in that it is a great Water switch in, and if you get burnt, your main Grass STAB is severely weakened. I like Giga Drain more since you don't have to worry about that, plus gives you some sort of recovery to combat the LO recoil.

Earthquake still does a solid 40% on a mixed set, factor that with hail damage and stealth rock it can almost push for a 2HKO on Hariyama.
I kind of like the idea of using Giga Drain over Wood Hammer too since it's constantly being worn life orb and stealth rock. There's not forgetting all that recoil your going to suffer from Wood Hammer.

156 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 155-183 (36.1 - 42.6%)

But other than that, im excited to see how Abomasnow is gonna fare in the NU tier. Ampharos looks cool at first glance but, it's mostly just an overshadowed Lanturn. Not much else to say about it that hasn't been brought up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)