Now Playing 2: The Return of Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
<3

Moonshield - In Flames

The most beautiful song ever released in the history of metal, IMO. Not much different than the other songs on its album, the Jester Race, but then again, it is a MASTERPIECE. (Hence why the Japanese release of the album, with all the shit I have to go find off Limewire like a fool, is my avatar.) Deep acoustics, wonderful blending of the bass and rhytmic guitars, and of course Anders' growling vocals somehow mixed in to a nice effect all make the album awesome, and Moonshield is no exception. My only critique on this song is that acoustic solo in the middle drags on for way too long, and I usually just skips over it. The song's awesome live, and I even have some kid's piano version of it. Stunning, beautiful, awesome.

9.7/10
That is one of In Flames' better songs, yes.

Nevermore - The Holocaust of Thought

A short acoustic instrumental, it's ok.

7/10

Incubus - Redefine (S.C.I.E.N.C.E)

I love Incubus, they're so funky and fun to listen to, as well as being a great rock band. There's a darkkkkkkk breakdown in this song which is pretty damn badass..talk about slap bass.

7.5/10

HIM - Venus Doom

I recently started listening to some of their tracks, and good lord I love this song. I like his voice in this song... the lyrics are pretty cool... and I like the general sound. Very good track... 10/10

Bad Religion - Boot Stamping On Human Face Forever

A slow song from them, but it works wonders and makes me like The Empire Strikes First even more. Despite being slow, it's moderately catchy and the their lyrics never seize to amaze me. The melancholy guitar is probably the coolest and most suitable thing to be present in this song.

9/10

Deerhoof - Kidz Are So Small

Ive just discovered Deerhoof an my god are they good/weird. This song in particular has interesting lyrics eg. "If I were a man and you a dog, I'd throw a stick for you.' Its a kind of short song but its pretty catchy.

8/10

Bat for Lashes - Seal Jubilee

My favourite track in Fur & Gold. It has a very quiet melody and Natasha's vocals echoe throughout the track as if she were singing in a chapel. In the end, another electric guitar is added and the song has a small climax. I can't really point out what makes me love this track, but it seems to be because of her vocal abilities.

The White Stripes - Icky Thump

I really like the eerie tone of the instrumentals, and the almost incomprehensible lyrics just add to the madness.

9/10

The Testors - Time is mine

This song is really awesome, it's 70s punk at its best. Sadly, The Testors aren't that well known because they disbanded early and they only released one single.

9.5/10

There isn't a bass solo...
I do know what you're talking about though. I think it improves the song by juxtaposing the quiet kind of emotional bit with the rest of the song's pure energy. It'd probably just be another wank screamo song otherwise.
Don't most screamo bands "juxtapose the quiet kind of emotional bit with the rest of the songs pure energy"?

Modest Mouse - 3rd Planet

Yeah, I just read Ecnemalas' review and had to give it a listen. Amazing song, the soft guitars at the beginning are perfect to start of the album that is The Moon & Antarctica.

Radiohead - The National Anthem

One of my favorite songs off of Kid A, it begins with a bass line, but as soon as the singing starts you realize this isn't much different from the other tracks on the album in terms of being weird. It finishes in a flurry of horns. Surprisingly, it's probably the most normal song on the album, besides Optimistic and In Limbo.

9/10

Don't most screamo bands "juxtapose the quiet kind of emotional bit with the rest of the songs pure energy"?
I think the song's pure energy is the emotional part x( or at least the transition from one to another (Saetia - Venus & Bacchus, City of Caterpillar - Minute Day Week etc)

Swing Kids - Situation on Mars

1 minute and 34 seconds of raging hardcore with Justin Pearson. I like his vocals here more than in The Locust. Very simple but very powerful music. 8/10

Dallas Green - Coming Home

I've never been to Alaska,
But I can tell you this.
I've been to Lincoln, Nebraska
And hell you know it ain't worth shit.

Another beautiful acoustic number from the City and Colour album, this is my favourite at the moment, but that changes almost as much as I do my underwear (once a week).

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pendulum - Granite

In my opinion the best Pendulum song since Slam - they've really nailed it with this one. If you've never actually listened to Pendulum then I would strongly recommend this as the first song you hear! Grimy drum and bass with varied vocals, synths, guitars and a rising bassline coming together in one beautiful mashup. Achieves exactly what it set out to. 10/10

also kanye west butchered harder better faster stronger but at least it gets played in clubs now :/

I think the song's pure energy is the emotional part x( or at least the transition from one to another (Saetia - Venus & Bacchus, City of Caterpillar - Minute Day Week etc)
Yeah that's pretty true. Speaking of Saetia...

Saetia - Closed Hands

Very intense song. Opens with a soft lullabyish kind of bassline, accompanied by a slow guitar and laid back drumming. Then without a notice, melts into insane screaming vocals, and powerful guitar riffs. 2 minutes in, slows down for a dramatic buildup to one of my favorite lyrics: "Closed hands. Open arms. Hold nothing."

Awesome

9.5 / 10

Biffy Clyro - Folding Stars

Fell in love with this song. Absolutely awesome, catchy lyrics and melody, not to mention that the singer's voice suits the song perfectly. This was the first one I heard from them, and it's easily the best one as well. If you're fond of rock that's easy to get into, Biffy Clyro is a good choice.

9.5/10

65daysofstatic - The Conspiracy of Seeds

Many months later I decided to listen to these guys again. This song features another band I like: Circle Takes the Square, so any fans of this band should give this track a listen.
I first listened to it before listening to CTTS and I enjoyed it a lot. Now that I like CTTS, I like this track even more. The track is standard 65dos fare but in the last third, the screamo band's signature unison singing comes in, which makes an excelent ending for the album.

Open Your Eyes - Snow Patrol

8.5/10

The hookline is great, but the song is a bit repetitive. It's Snow Patrol's only good song, IMO.

Streetlight Manifesto - Watch it Crash

this is one of the songs that stand out when i listen to their new album. the song in general is just really catchy and upbeat, and the vocals are awesome. the trumpet doesn't play as much as it does in other songs, but it still works out really well.

The Ruby Suns - Criterion

This band is from New Zealand and I had the luck to meet them after The Shins concert as they were the support. It was the first time I heard them and I really enjoyed their set. For some reason this song sounds kinda 70s to me but whatever, its great. Great harmonica line

Juneau - Funeral for a Friend

nice lyrics. the screaming is a bit disappointing though, so this song nets a 7.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)