Nodding Along an OU Ladder Match

Hello Smogon! I'm new around here and thought what better way to introduce myself than by giving a log of one of my best and toughest battles so far. As you may have guessed the star of this battle on my side is Porygon 2 while my opponent definitely has a very heavy weight player on his own side too.

Well, here is my team for this match. It harkens back to the, 'I don't have a clue in hell what these IV, EV things are, I'm just going to attack every turn, Gyarados Hyper Beam!' Kind of mentality. But I still put a lot of thought into it, since I'll only use pokemon I like, my options were quite restricted, given that most cool looking pokemon are either Uber, far too common, or blow entirely.

Boomslang's Team:

Battle Text will be in Black Bold,
Leftovers recovery will be left in for simplicity reasons, but separated from the main text and in itallics so it can be skipped over,
My thoughts at the time will be in blue,
Any additional notes that arent directly related to the battle will be in red
Chat will be clearly marked, but most has been removed.

Sorry it's a bit long, if you can't be bothered to go through all of it and just want to skip to the action, then skip ahead to the part entitled 'The Lategame,' Hooray for laziness!

Since I don't have permission from my opponent to post this, as I don't know how to ask him, I'll shorten his name to DJ, sorry if that would mean referring to someone else, I'm new I don't know anyone!

Boomslang sent out Razor (lvl 100 Aerodactyl)
DJ sent out Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat)
Razor is exerting its Pressure!

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

Okay so it's my Aerodactyl (Razor) vs his Crobat. This is where Razor really shows his worth. As my main physical sweeper Aerodactyl is an absolute beast and thanks to the prevelence of Aerodactyl suicide leads in OU, Aerodactyl is excellent to use as a lead since no-one sees it coming. Aerodactyl gets me a KO at the start of every match unless a focus sash is cunningly concealed somewhere. Since Crobat is probably as fast as me it should come down to a speed tie, but I doubt he'll attack. A straight out attack should work, just so long as he isn't using hypnosis. Well here goes, Stone Edge!

===============

Crobat used Taunt!
Razor fell for the taunt!
Razor used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
Crobat lost (100%) of its health!
Crobat fainted!

(Fainted)

6 - 5

DJ sent out Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory)

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

And Aero's reputation precedes him, nice one Razor. You won't be getting stealth rock up this time Crobat. Wait, can crobat even use stealth rock? I really need to make an effort to learn these things . . . I guess it was an anti-lead.

Well he's sent out a skarmory which is about as good a counter as it gets given that Aero is now locked in to stone edge, if he wasn't Skarm would eat a rather spicy Fire Fang, as it is, I'd better switch to something that can nail it with a special attack. Kingdra maybe? But what if he anticipates me and screws me over some how . . . I've never used a Skarmory so I don't really know what to expect.

Well just to be safe I'll go for my standard answer to just about any problem, Selkie!

===============

Boomslang withdrew Razor!
Boomslang sent out Selkie (lvl 100 Vaporeon)
Skarmory used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!

--(100%) vs (100%)--

Spikes . . . Well at least it isn't Stealth Rock, Aero should still be able to get a sneaky switch in at some point. Right, my standard move here would be Protect then Wish, but since Skarmory really can't do that much damage to me, there's not much point in using protect, so Wish it is!

Wait a minute though, I can always Protect and then Wish later, if it's damage output is really that low. Better not let it get another free layer of spikes, Ice Beam then, glad I put those extra EV's into SPattk.

===============

Skarmory used Taunt!
Selkie fell for the taunt!
Selkie used Ice Beam!
A critical hit!
Skarmory lost (66%) of its health!

--(100%) vs (34%)--

Now I could have said that I'd anticipated Taunt and used Ice Beam out of my own brilliance to get around it . . . Well I didn't but at least Skarmory gets a nasty surprise. Since attacking is my only option, Ice Beam again makes the most sense.

===============

Skarmory used Roost!
Skarmory regained (50%) of its health!
Selkie used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective...
Skarmory lost (16%) of its health!

--(100%) vs (58%)--

Ah, that complicates things slightly. I can't Wish and stall him out, so Surf would probably be a better bet to wear him down, then again do I want to risk loosing too much HP to switch in and absorb a blow later? Perhaps I'd better Ice Beam again, he wouldn't Roost twice in a row would he?
Hmm . . . His HP is just over half full, and if I attack him with Ice Beam again and he uses Roost then I'll do minimal damage. But if I use Surf, wouldn't Roost just let him recover any damage anyway? Okay time for a decision, since I think he's going to Roost, its time to get a free switch.

===============

Boomslang withdrew Selkie!
Boomslang sent out Marina (lvl 100 Kingdra)
Marina was hurt by Spikes!
Marina lost (12%) of its health!
Skarmory used Roost!
Skarmory regained (33%) of its health!

--(88%) - vs - (100%)--

Okay Kingdra (Marina) is in, and ready to blast Skarmory away. My Kingdra runs a Choice Specs set, 252/252, so I could go for Hydro Pump or Surf here, but I'd rather not risk surf not KO-ing him and having him switch out, so Hydro Pump it is. I don't think he'll switch out, because he doesn't know my set and probably wouldn't risk Kingdra getting a Dragon Dance or Substitute under her belt.

I just got swept to pieces by a Kingdra using that strategy, so I'm going to learn from my mistake and use it to my advantage here by hoping he's going to make the same assumptions that I would. Either that or leave Skarm in to absorb a Draco Meteor aimed at a switching in Pokemon.

===============

Marina used Hydro Pump!
Skarmory lost (100%) of its health!
Skarmory fainted!

(Fainted)

6 - 4

DJ sent out Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur)

--(88%) - - vs - - (100%)--

Yes! the strategy works, good going Kingdra. I have to wonder what move he was going to use. At first I think he'd have attacked but then I realise he probably used Taunt to block my attempts at upping my stats. Good thing I don't bother with that, and I've found yet another reason why Hydro Pump was the right move to use.

A Venusaur eh? Well I can't use Ice Beam thanks to the choice specs, so a switch out is inenivitable. I don't want to lose Kingdra's Meteor power. Switching to Vaporeon is out of the question, and since I don't know if this Venusaur is Def, or SPdef, I can't go straight to a sweeper, but if for some horrible reason it has Substitute this could be a repeat of the Kingdra sweep incident . . . it could have Swords Dance too. I used a Venusaur as a Special Wall once, mainly just to screw over my friend's Tentacruel and Porygon-z so I know how effective it can be, Well there's only one thing to do.

===============

Boomslang withdrew Marina!
Boomslang sent out Spooky (lvl 100 Umbreon)
Spooky was hurt by Spikes!
Spooky lost (12%) of its health!
Venusaur used Sleep Powder!
Spooky fell asleep!

Spooky's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Spooky regained (6%) of its health!

--(94%) - - vs - - (100%)--

Sleep powder . . . Great. Hey how come Synchronise didn't do anything! Just great, Synchronise would have been very useful right about now, well there isn't much of a choice in moves here, just use Wish and hope to wake up.

My Umbreon doesn't run a conventional set. Since Vaporeon is my main wall, I decided to go all out on HP and SPdef for Umbreon and originally had the standard Wish, Toxic, Batonpass, Meanlook set before I realised that it absolutley sucked, and that I never really used it. So predating on my Vaporeon experience, who has won entire battles alone, i went for Wish, Protect and added Confuse Ray to mix nicely with Toxic. Steels switch in to absorb the Toxic and get a Confuse Ray to the face, nice!

How does this set do you ask? Never use Umbreon unless you're running Mean Look you say? Well first game in I fought an battle which I messed up at about every turn. Roserade had focus sash and endured my Aerodactyl's Fire Fang and Leaf Stormed back for the KO. I fought a Machamp for the first time and made the mistake of switching in my Sceptile and being Dynamic Punched in the face. Dynamic Punch wiped out Vaporeon with a crit and only then did I remember Kingdra's Draco Metoer. Needless to say I was almost completely destroyed. I eventually managed to battle down to my opponents last two pokemon, a Starmie and an unknown Pokemon. I was left with just Umbreon. Well that unkown Pokemon turned out to be the Rotom that looks like a washing machine. At this point my opponent sent me a friendly 'gg' . . . Umbreon owned them both. Starmie's natural cure, switching to avoid Toxic and Rotom re-setting the counter, didn't do any good against Umbreon's Confuse Ray hitting them when they came in, conufusion blocked their recovery moves and eventually wore them down while Wish and Protect outstalled Rotom's Hydro Pump and everything Starmie could throw, until they both succumbed, leaving Umbreon near close to full health.

Granted this situation won't come up very often, but I solidified my descision to use Umbreon and she has performed aimiably every since.

Anyway back to the battle at hand.

===============

Venusaur used Leech Seed!
Spooky was seeded!
Spooky is fast asleep.

Spooky's health was sapped by Leech Seed!

Ah, Leech Seed, well it shouldn't; hurt her that badly, after all she was poisoned by Toxic Spikes in that battle with Rotom and Starmie and it didn't do her that much harm, so it shouldn't be too much of a pain. Wish again. I guess Venusaur is the special attack kind. I really should have learnt this, I used one after all.

===============

DJ withdrew Venusaur!
DJ sent out Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert)
Spooky is fast asleep.

--(82%) - - vs - - (100%)--

Ah Swampert, I haven't dealt with this beast that often, all I know is that it's the only lead that compeltley screws over Aerodactyl, who can't even try and touch it.

Fortunately I have just the counter for this one.

===============

Boomslang withdrew Spooky!
Boomslang sent out Regro (lvl 100 Sceptile)
Regro was hurt by Spikes!
Regro lost (12%) of its health!
Swampert used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

Great, stealth rock. Well guess he knew I would switch, but after all what did I expect? Except for Aerodactyl, none of my team is Stealth Rock weak so it's not too much of a big deal, i'll look at it as a free switch in for Sceptile. Time to attack now, Leaf Storm with absolutley destroy him, of course he's more likely to switch. Should I use a move for the counter? Then again most Sceptiles are the Sub Seed kind so he mightn't want to risk me getting a Substitute up, and could use Ice Beam. My Sceptile is the choice specs variety so Leaf Storm will even faint Infernape and would rip him to shreds if he decides to stay in.

Hold on, two choice specs users on one team? How noobish. Well yes, I would have said that too but the team wasn't desgined that way. Origionally I had difficulty deciding on a special attacker at all, every Poke I liked seemed to be the physical variety. Eventually I decided on Kingdra since she was one of my favourites but eventually switched her as the team progressed. Sceptile appeared, and after a sneaky Leaf Storm KO on Palkia over Revolution I decided to keep her. (It's only a her because I have a lizard called Regro, due to her having a regrown tail, over wise Sceptile would be a male, but he looks even less like my other lizards, so Regro it is.) My team was the same then, bar Umbreon's move set and a mixed Salamanece, since over half my team was UU I didn't feel that guilty about it. But since Mence was banned I couldn't think of another mixed sweeper I liked. So I threw Kingdra back in for the meantime, missing those Draco Meteors, and it turns out this team works really well together, who'd have thought? It wasn't until recently I realised all my walls use special attacks too, and so Aero is my only physical attacker. That's a flaw I really need to address.

Anyhow, I can't risk not killing Swampert and getting Ice Beamed, so Leaf Storm it is.

===============

DJ withdrew Swampert!
Regro used Leaf Storm!
Venusaur lost (18%) of its health!
Regro's special attack was harshly lowered!

Venusaur's Black Sludge restored its health a little!
Venusaur regained (6%) of its health!

--(88%) - - vs - - (88%)--

I guess that'll teach me. Well i'm not leaving Sceptile in here, over to Umbreon. I still haven't made much of a dent in that Venusaur but given how much Leaf Storm did I guess its physically defensive rather than special, hence the Aero switch in.

===============

Boomslang withdrew Regro!
Pointed stones dug into Spooky!
Venusaur used Sludge Bomb!
Spooky lost (16%) of its health!

--(48%) - - vs - - (94%)--

Sludge bomb, so Venusaur is a physical sweeper. That means Umbreon isn't taking hits as well as she should, still I cant switch to Vaporeon, so Umbreon will have to take it. Not much tactical manoeuvering here.

===============

Spooky was seeded!
Spooky is fast asleep.

Venusaur lost (0%) of its health!

--(42%) - - vs - - (100%)--

===============

Chat

Boomslang: wake up already!

DJ withdrew Venusaur!
Spooky is fast asleep.

--(36%) - - vs - - (100%)--

As you can see I got fed up here. Voice commands to Pokemon would be cool ('Use Fire Blast!') but I don't think they've been implemented yet. =)
He switches in his Swampert but I probably won't be able to do that much, I'm more concerned about Umbreon waking up, her Wish passing will be useful for later.

===============

Spooky woke up!
Spooky used Protect!
Spooky protected itself!
Swampert used Earthquake!
Spooky protected itself!

--(30%) - - vs - - (100%)--

At last Umbreon wakes up to use protect. This was the more sensible
move, to try and avoid some damage before the eventual Wish, leftovers recovery would have been nice, I guess that Leech Seed is more of a problem than I'd thought.

===============

Spooky used Wish!
Spooky made a wish!
Spooky lost (26%) of its health!
Spooky fainted!

(Fainted)

5 - 4

Boomslang sent out Regro (lvl 100 Sceptile ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Regro!

--(64%) - - - vs - - - (100%)--

Ah well that complicates matters. Without Umbreon, Vaporeon is my only Wish passer and one who is still weak to that Venusaur. The only option here was to switch in Regro, and go for the attack. Now he knows I'm not using Sub Seed and haven't taken Life Orb damage, there isn't any reason for him to leave in his Swampert, so i'll go for a free hit to Venusaur, but which move would do the most damage? Aside from Leaf Storm, Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse are my best bets, but given Focus Blast misses so often, I'll play it safe and go for Dragon Pulse. At least i'll get some Swampert damage if he decides not to switch, but if Sceptile faints I'm in trouble.

===============

DJ withdrew Swampert!
Regro used Dragon Pulse!
Venusaur lost (33%) of its health!
The wish came true!
Regro regained (37%) of its health!

--(100%) - - - vs - - - (73%)--

Okay so he goes to Venusaur as predicted, but Dragon Pulse really doesn't do that much. Hidden Power Fire would be useful here, but I don't like the IV drops. I used to have Grass Knot but never used it since there wasn't any point when you have choice specs and Leaf Storm. I switched Grass Knot for Hidden Power Dark for the meantime, just in case a ghost crops up. perhaps I should go over that moveset again, maybe give Sceptile a status move instead. Time for the star player of my team.

===============

Boomslang sent out Virus (lvl 100 Porygon2)
Virus traced Venusaur's Overgrow!
Virus was hurt by Spikes!
Virus lost (12%) of its health!
Pointed stones dug into Virus!
Virus lost (28%) of its health!

Virus's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Virus regained (6%) of its health!

--(54%) - - vs - - (79%)--

Okay so that wasn't my best move, but i'm not sure which of my other Pokemon could take a Sludge Bomb and stike back with Ice Beam while surviving any other attacks he might have.

He still has one unknown move after all, but I suspect it's Poison Powder or something, unless he doesn't want to be at the mercy of steel types, of which I haven't any. Only thing to do is Recover then Ice Beam.

===============

Venusaur used Sleep Powder!
Virus fell asleep!
Virus is fast asleep.

--(60%) - - vs - - (85%)--

Well that's not good, better get Virus out of there, I don't want to lose another wall. Sleep Powder was followed by Leech Seed the last round so it's Sceptile time.

===============

Boomslang withdrew Virus!
Boomslang sent out Regro (lvl 100 Sceptile ?)!
Pointed stones dug into Regro!
Sceptile is immune!

--(76%) - - - vs - - - (91%)--

Sceptile absorbs the Leech Seed, but now dosen't really have a way to strike back. Maybe he'll run thinking I have HP fire, so since Dragon Pulse didn't do that much, I'll give Focus Blast a shot.

===============

Regro used Focus Blast!
Venusaur lost (22%) of its health!
It's super effective!
Regro lost (75%) of its health!
Regro fainted!

(Fainted)

4 - 4

Chat

Boomslang: when did u wake up?

Virus traced Venusaur's Overgrow!

--(36%) - - vs - - (75%)--

So the one time it actually hits and I forget that fighting isn't very effective against Grass. Great what a stupid mistake to lose Sceptile over. Though given I didn't have many other move choices at the time, anything would have been a better move than that. Well only thing to do is to send in Porygon.

You may notice I decided to leave in my horribly noobish comment here. I somehow got confused, having accidentally scrolled up the text and seen the word Synchronise somewhere and thought Porygon had traced it from something, and therefore Venusaur should have been asleep too and unable to snuff out my Sceptile. Unlike Umbreon, I awoke from this stupor of ignorance almost straight away, put down the bottle and continued, hiding my embarrassment. I decided to leave this in, since I had to remove most of my opponent's comments and felt the game still needed some chat in it.

===============

Chat

DJ: wake up?

Virus was seeded!
Virus woke up!
Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (50%) of its health!

Virus's health was sapped by Leech Seed!
Virus lost 46/374 (12%) of its health!
Venusaur regained (12%) of its health!

--(60%) - - vs - - (87%)--

Yes and I get my recovery going, but also get seeded, so my leftovers apple has gone rotten. How does Porygon eat or much less hold an apple anyway? He doesn't have any apple grasping appendages of any sort. Provided I can keep Virus going I should be alright, its Thunderwave now to hit whatever he switches in, or hit Venusaur if he doesn't.

===============

Chat

Boomslang: hmm thats confusing umbreons synchronise didnt work

DJ: no
DJ: syncronize

DJ withdrew Venusaur!
Virus used Thunder Wave!
It doesn't affect Swampert...

Virus's health was sapped by Leech Seed!

--(54%) - vs - (100%)--

Ah. unless he sends in Swampert which will mop up either of my attacks. I can't paralyse him, Thunderbolt won't do anything, and Ice Beam can barley scratch him, there isn't much sense in leaving in Porygon to get battered, so it's time to make a risky switch. He's seen all my team now, while I've hardly seen any of his, so this is a rather bad position to be in. Not sure what move Swampert will use but it probably isn't a Dragon type move so Kingdra should able to take it and then Draco Meteor him to nothing more than a smouldering muddy crater.

Here I notice very belatedly about Umbreon's Synchronise and try to make a recovery from, my earlier explosion of noobiness. How does the expression go? Stop digging!

===============

Chat

DJ: doesn't work
DJ: for sleeping

Boomslang: ahh

DJ: neisther for confusion

Boomslang sent out Marina (lvl 100 Kingdra)
Pointed stones dug into Marina!
Marina lost (47%) of its health!

--(17%) - vs - (100%)--

Well, Kingra gets in safely, while Swampert's Earthquake does double damage to me in that hole I just dug.

He shouldn't switch, but since he knows i'm not going to set up, he probably doesn't want to risk being hit by a Dragon type attack, still Kingdra's health is low enougth that I don't want to risk a hit from Swampert if I use Ice Beam and he dosen't switch. Meteor should dent anything that isn't a steel type so here goes.

===============

DJ withdrew Swampert!
Marina used Draco Meteor!
Venusaur lost (72%) of its health!
Marina's special attack was harshly lowered!

--(17%) - - vs - - (21%)--

Well Draco Meteor lands a solid hit, but I'd have been better going with Ice Beam. I still don't know Venusaur's other attack and even since my only weakness is Dragon I still don't want to hang around, those rocks will hammer Kingdra when I next switch in, better keep up my health while I can. Switch to Porygon who can Ice Beam it away, he hasn't done much this match so at least he'll get to do something.

===============

DJ withdrew Venusaur!
DJ sent out Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados)
Gyarados's Intimidate cut Marina's attack!
Boomslang withdrew Marina!
Boomslang sent out Virus (lvl 100 Porygon2)!
Virus traced Gyarados's Intimidate!
Virus's Intimidate cut Gyarados's attack!

--(62%) - vs - (100%)--

. . . Nice.

That couldn't have worked better, I predict double switches all the time and the advantage it gives you shouldn't be under estimated, but as far as accidental switches go this was pretty awesome. now that Gyarados is screwed if it stays in, provided it doesn't get a DD under it's belt, I don't want to risk that so Thunderwave is the most obvious option. I can't risk him predicting that I'll predict a switch and let him get a free Dragon Dance, so Thunderwave for safety, if Gyarados dosen't switch, I'll get some free recovery next turn, and if anything other than Swampert comes in it'll be crippled, though of course if there's a switch it'll be to Swampert, unless he has an Electivire . . . where's the cancel option!?

===============

DJ withdrew Gyarados!
Virus used Thunder Wave!

--(68%) - vs - (100%)--

Well it wasn't that bad, time for some recovery before I switch out Virus, it's more likely I'll have to use Aerodactyl's Stone Edge to wipe Gyarados out now. But still, gotta keep the health bar high.

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (39%) of its health!
Virus lost (26%) of its health!

--(87%) - vs - (100%)--

Hmm... he can't do that much damage to me, so might as well get some recovery on the possible switch, he still has one I don't know about and the battle is quite far through at his point.

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (20%) of its health!
Virus lost (25%) of its health!

--(88%) - vs - (100%)--

Right, perhaps he'll use Surf now, since Earthquake isn't damaging me
any faster than I'm recovering but I'm not getting much health back either, so its time for Vaporeon to absorb anything he throws at me and get a Wish pass to someone.

===============

Selkie was hurt by Spikes!
Selkie lost (12%) of its health!
Pointed stones dug into Selkie!
Selkie lost (27%) of its health!

Selkie's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Selkie regained (6%) of its health!

--(55%) - vs - (100%)--

Well he didn't use Surf but at least his Earthquake doesn't do that much, time for a sneaky Wish, and hope he doesn't switch out, if it's a stall war I can take him down, still those unknown pokes are quite a worry, I don't have any idea if Aerodactyl can sweep them, and Kingdra is getting tired.

===============

DJ withdrew Swampert!
Gyarados's Intimidate cut Selkie's attack!
Selkie used Wish!
Selkie made a wish!

--(61%) - - vs - - (100%)--

Well I'm not sure why he sent out Gyarados, isn't Vaporeon kind of a Gyarados counter? Still I guess he gets in a free Dragon Dance if I switch, but the longer I stay in, the more time he gets to up his stats. I'll go for Porygon, on the off chance he uses Waterfall, since Aerodactyl would appreciate that about as much as cat appreciates being woken up.

(Yes I just got scratched. They always go for the wrists, it's like they know something.)

===============

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's attack was raised!
Gyarados's speed was raised!
The wish came true!
Virus regained (43%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

The Dragon Dance is predicted correctly and Porygon comes in to nullify that boost. It's a shame Gyarados is a beast without it anyway. Wish gets my health back up, and so it's time for Vaporeon to absorb that Waterfall.

===============

Gyarados used Taunt!
Selkie fell for the taunt!

--(43%) - - vs - - (100%)--

At least I got Porygon out of there, that Taunt would have screwed him over completely, I really have to pay more attention to that move. Vaporeon's health is low without Wish to help her out, so I'd better hit Gyarados with his own medicine again.

===============

--(82%) - vs - (100%)--

Ah hell, right back where we started, a now impossibly fast Gyarados with an already beastly attack, but at least it's not + whatever again. Thunderwave would cripple him, but I'd rather not hit swampert again. Ice beam won't do anything unless Venusaur is around, I doubt he has another Grass type, so Recover might be a good choice, just to see how much damage he can do to me. But I don't want to give Gyarados another DD so I'd better Thunderbolt, I might just hit swampert here but at least Gyarados would lose it's boosts if that were the case.

===============

The Lategame

===============

Gyarados used Taunt!
Virus fell for the taunt!
Virus used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost (83%) of its health!

Gyarados's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Gyarados regained (6%) of its health!

--(88%) - vs - (33%)--

Well Taunt all you like Gyarados, I hope you enjoyed being owned by a pink and blue floating duck. Gyarados would be destroyed by another hit now, so he'll obviously switch, given how deadly Gyarados is, even at low health. Best idea now is to use Ice Beam, it probably won't kill Gyarados if he stays in, but I don't think he can KO me even without being Intimidated, and if he switches at least swampert might take 4% damage or something. I never run damage calcs so I really don't have a clue, this is a gamble but if I predict correctly . . .

Of course if he predicts me and knows Gyarados can take it, and DD's then he'll probally be able to get a winning sweep going.

===============

DJ withdrew Gyarados!
Virus used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Venusaur lost (25%) of its health!
Venusaur fainted!

(Fainted)

4 - 3

DJ sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?)!

--(93%) - vs - (100%)--

Oh yes! And Venusaur is out of the match! Thank you Porygon. Gyarados goes off to have some serious therapy, and I predict the incoming Venusaur and nail it right between the eyes, (Yes, there specifically.) His last pokemon is revealed as Heatran, who I know all my Pokemon can take, if they could just survive getting into the battle. Either way I can't leave Porygon in now so time for a tactical switch.

===============

Chat

DJ: such a luck

Boomslang: lol

Heatran used Fire Blast!
A critical hit!
Selkie lost (16%) of its health!
Selkie fainted!

(Fainted)

3 - 3

Chat

Boomslang: not so lol

Virus traced Heatran's Flash Fire!

--(69%) - vs - (100%)--

Well that was unexpected. With Vaporeon down, I can't safely Wish to any of my other Pokemon now, its lategame. Best to send out Porygon, then all Heatran can do is Earthpower me. Looking back I realise that Aerodactyl was the smarter switch in here. I would have threatened to KO with Earthquake then hit Gyarados with Stone Edge on the switch . .. if only I'd have though of that.

===============

DJ withdrew Heatran!
Virus used Thunder Wave!

--(75%) - vs - (100%)--

It was worth a try, Thunderwave allows me to Recover before my opponent hits me, but again I forget about Swampert. Little did I realise that it would start an intense showdown that could well decide the battle.

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (24%) of its health!
Swampert used Roar!
Boomslang sent out Marina (lvl 100 Kingdra ?)
Pointed stones dug into Marina!
Marina lost (3%) of its health!
Marina fainted!

(Fainted)

2 - 3

Chat

Boomslang: what?
Boomslang: misclick...
Boomslang: oh lol i really need to read battle text

Virus traced Swampert's Torrent!

--(76%) - vs - (100%)--

Good thing I got that Recover out there, but Kingdra's repeat appearance only to succumb to Stealth Rock and spikes is an unnerving occurring. If Swampert uses Roar too often, then I'm screwed. The appearence of Kingdra and the switch screen leads me to wonder when the bottle got back into my hands. How deep is that hole now?

===============

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert lost (20%) of its health!
Virus lost (29%) of its health!

Swampert's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert regained (6%) of its health!

--(53%) - vs - (86%)--

Now that I have only Porygon and Aerodactyl my victory is looking questionable but I decide to see how much my Ice Beam can actually do, since it's the only attack my whole team has that will actually do the slightest bit to swampert, it's my only choice.

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (47%) of its health!

--(81%) - vs - (92%)--

Given that Ice Beam does a surprising amount I decide to go for the Recover and try stall this out as long as I can, I can't beat him faster than he can destroy my team using Roar. I just have to hope he doesn't realise it.

===============

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert lost (22%) of its health!

===============
DJ withdrew Swampert!
DJ sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran)
Virus used Recover!
Virus regained 142/374 (37%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

Well Swampert is running away, but I predicted correctly and got a free recovery out of it. So I know now that whenever Swampert is in danger he will always switch out. it's his best Pokemon. Now for a very risky move. Leaving Porygon in without Flash Fire is asking to be knocked out, but since he'll expect me to switch it's time to get that Thunderwave going while he won't just change to Swampert.

===============

Heatran used Fire Blast!
Virus lost (57%) of its health!
Virus used Thunder Wave!
Heatran is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

--(43%) - vs - (100%)--

Virus takes the blow and amazingly survives, leaving Heatran buzzing with paralysis. The gamble was a good one, now for some recovery on the switch, most likely to swampert again.

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (50%) of its health!
Heatran is paralysed! It can't move!

Virus regained (1%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

Virus has his health back up and Heatran is unable to do anything to me at the moment, time to take a serious gamble and switch in Aerodactyl. If Heatran stays in it'll eat a tasty Earthcake, and then I can allways switch back to Porygon to get Flash Fire back on me.

===============

Pointed stones dug into Razor!
Razor lost (24%) of its health!

--(76%) - - vs - - (100%)--

Yes, Aero gets in without a hitch, now Heatran is bound to switch out, so Stone Edge for Gyarados who'll attempt to dodge the Earthquake. If Heatran dosen't budge outpredicting me, then I'll switch back to Porygon and get that Flash Fire.

===============

DJ withdrew Heatran!
Razor used Stone Edge!

--(76%) - vs - (60%)--

Ah . . . my opponent outpredicts my outprediction and sends in Swampert who laughs off Stone Edge which does only slightly more than Ice Beam can. At this point I think I'm screwed, the only choice is to switch out to Porygon and hope Aero can take out Swampert with Earthquake later, it's not a good situation though.

===============

Boomslang withdrew Razor!
Virus traced Swampert's Torrent!
Swampert used Ice Beam!
Virus lost (17%) of its health!

--(65%) - vs - (66%)--

Well after picking myself up a very handy, potentially game changing, boost to my water type moves, (Ah hell, I can't make use of it unless my health is low, what a waste,) I prepare to Recover and await being wrecked by Earthquakes.

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (35%) of its health!
Swampert used Ice Beam!
Virus lost (19%) of its health!

So Swampert chooses to show his Ice Beam now eh? Well it does less than Earthquake, so Ice Beam away Swampert, two can play at that game, or even four depending on if it's a double battle.

(Yes I know that's from Futurama.)

===============

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert used Ice Beam!
And commence stalling war!

===============

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert used Ice Beam!
Virus lost (18%) of its health!

===============

Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (37%) of its health!
Swampert used Ice Beam!

===============

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert lost (20%) of its health!
Swampert used Ice Beam!
Virus lost (18%) of its health!

--(77%) - vs - (12%)--

===============

Chat

DJ: neither a freeze or a ch

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert was frozen solid!
Swampert is frozen solid!

Insert comment carrying appropriate calibre of lol!

--(83%) - vs - (16%)--

As I prepare to send a message with the appropriate ammount of lol, I consider the freeze. I hadn't even remembered Ice Beam could freeze people, it was simply the only, attack I had, now I knew why he was using it against me. Clever, I should have thought of that and realised.

Swampert is so low on health that one more Ice Beam will KO it, given that I'm faster the freeze is overkill as it won't effect the game's outcome either way. He won't let Swampert faint, even if he wasn't frozen, since he's too valuable to stop my Aerodactyl by locking it into one move, assuming Porygon faints, so he's probably going to switch here. Unless he decides to let Swampert faint as death fodder, but experience shows he won't. Either way my move choice was made up a turn ago, so hope he switches to Heatran, and plays as he would have done if Swampert wasn't frozen.

===============

DJ withdrew Swampert!
Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (17%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

Swampert doesn't have a recovery move and was so low on health that one more Ice Beam would have been a KO. I would have recovered one
round of health then gone for the kill, while taking about 20% damage from his Ice Beam had he have attacked, which of course he wouldn't have done as I can see from DJ's playing style so far. Given that I'm faster the outcome would have been the same either way. If Heatran and Gyarados can take out Porygon then Swampert is invaluable to stopping Aerodactyl, this I realised a turn ago, so even at his low health, my free recovery would have come either way.

Since I have only Aerodactyl who can KO either Heatran or Gyarados but would then be slaughtered by whichever gomes in next, leaving Porygon to finish off. The only problem with this is that Aerodactyl isn't my active Pokemon, it's Porygon and I don't have a way to switch Aero in, since whatever hits him would be a KO or give Gyarados a DD, either way it's anyone's game.

This might be the only opportunity for Aerodactyl to get in and start sweeping, but with Swampert still around, it's a risky move, especially if Heatran isn't fully paralysed. So far this 'Hax' thing has helped him out mostly. Long sleep durations and Sleep-powder hits, and all I've had is one utterly worthless freezing. Perhaps Hax will come through now and keep the firey toilet-toad paralysed.

===============

Pointed stones dug into Razor!
Razor lost (24%) of its health!
Heatran used Fire Blast!
Razor lost (44%) of its health!
Razor was burned!
Razor was hurt by its burn!
Razor lost (5%) of its health!
Razor fainted!

(Fainted)

1 - 3

Virus traced Heatran's Flash Fire!

--(76%) - vs - (100%)--

Oh Great. At this point I withdrew Virus hoping to get a free switch due to paralysis, being unable to remember if I have Flash Fire or not, I make the biggest mistake of the game and switch in Aerodactyl who is destroyed by a Fire Blast and the resultant burn. Man this guy has serious hax! Ah well if it's a game mechanic . . . Now I lose the only way to switch out Virus and swap between Flash Fire and that Gyarados's Intimidate . . . and Gyarados outspeeds me.

===============

DJ withdrew Heatran!
Virus used Recover!
Virus regained (24%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (22%)--

Porygon gets in and Traces Flash Fire, my only choice is to Recover, I'm down to my last poke and he still has three, It's time for Porygon's last stand!

===============

Virus used Ice Beam!
Swampert lost (18%) of its health!
Swampert fainted!

(Fainted)

1 - 2

--(100%) - vs - (100%)--

In comes Swampert, I outspeed and kill, as I said, given that he would almost certaintly have switched, the freeze was worthless. Heatran can't outbattle any Porygon so I should get one more kill here, it all depends on if, that Gyarados outspeeds me for the KO with waterfall.

===============

Virus used Thunderbolt!
Heatran lost (22%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (78%)--

That paralysis was a good idea, if I hadn't have used Thunderwave, I could have taken an Earthpower to the face. I'd have used Thunderwave anyway but at least this saves me a turn, now so long as Heatran doesn't crit, I can just keep stalling around it till I Recover to full health and he misses, then go in for the kill, Strategy ftw! This is the main reason Swampert's freezing didn't matter, thanks to Thunderwave I can keep stalling till my HP stays full and then zap the metal toad away.

===============

Virus used Thunderbolt!
Heatran lost (25%) of its health!

--(100%) - vs - (52%)--

Porygon continues to wear Heatran down. The plan is simple now, get it within KO range first then start recovering.

===============

Virus used Thunderbolt!
Heatran lost (25%) of its health!
Heatran used Earth Power!
Virus lost (31%) of its health!

--(75%) - vs - (27%)--

Since even a critical hit can't faint me, the full paralysis doesn't make any difference, I'll wear him down to KO range, then just keep using Recover until he either misses or is fully paralysed, (Not sure about Earthpower's accuracy) all the Paralysis in the meantime does is speed things up.

Besides Gyarados can still destroy me, perhaps he's trying to lull me into a false sense of security. One more Thunderbolt then begin the HP stalling otherwise I'm completely at Gyarados's mercy.

===============

Virus used Thunderbolt!
A critical hit!
Heatran lost (27%) of its health!
Heatran fainted!

(Fainted)

1 - 1

Ah great, now I'm screwed

Chat

DJ: haxor

Gyarados's Intimidate cut Virus's attack!

--(75%) - - vs - - (33%)--

Being called a Haxor hurts, mostly since it just screwed me over by preventing me from using Recover, so in this case it's a bad crit. It comes down to whether Gyarados can revenge kill me now . . . it's Porygon 2 vs DD Gyarados.

Gyarados could KO me outright with waterfall and even if it didn't KO, since Gyarados outspeeds me, it's highly likely to make me flinch, if it doesn't kill me thanks to that stupid crit on Heatran. I don't know what it's EV's are, since it hasn't actually hit me yet, if it's got full Attk, one Waterfall would be all it takes. Gyarados also has leftovers, it could be a Sub DD variety, in which case my attacking might somehow play into his hands. Well Virus give it your best shot . . .

===============

Virus used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
Gyarados lost (22%) of its health!
Gyarados fainted!

Boomslang wins!

Whew, fortunately he calls my bluff, thinking I will use Recover to get my HP back up, just to be safe, as I did at every other point in this game, and so uses DD to net himself an assured revenge kill.

So Porygon 2 takes the victory, despite my many messups and that Heatran crit. This was a great game without any insane dragons or bloated pink blobs and hax wasn't really that relevant to the outcome.

I recorded this battle right after having a conversation about why Porygon 2 sucks now that Salamence isn't in OU any more. Well three pokemon against one seems to argue differently =)

As as I look sadly at the big NU stamped onto his movesets, I wonder does he really deserve it? I guess it's down to usage really, ah well there'll still be at least one Porygon 2, nodding away in the OU ladder. Bravo Virus!

Opposing Team:

Pros:

Razor (Aerodactly) for netting yet another surprise KO at the very start.

Selkie (Vaporeon) for taking beatings repeatedly and passing wish so effectively.

Marina (Kingdra) for being an awesome team member and hitting so hard

Virus (Porygon 2) for showing how good he can be if used to his strengths.

Winning the match

Beating a team that had five OU Pokes, including a legendary! and one UU Poke.

Virus again for fighting a Reach-esque last stand at the end of the battle despite his NU status

DJ for a great game that he fought really well, say hello to your
Swampert for me man, that thing rocks!

Swampert for being so annoyingly un-killable

Cons:

Spooky (Umbreon) getting put to sleep and sent out of the match so easily

Synchronise for not working on sleep or confusion (What happens in the actual game?)

Getting Sceptile fainted so easily

The Heatran crit that almost lost me the match

Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed that and yes I know all those jokes were terrible, give me break, I'd have come up with better ones if I could've, it's like twelve o'clock here and I'm pretty braindead. Perhaps I'll see you all sometime around Smogon and on the new Pokemon Lab.

Sorry it's rather rushed, I managed to completely delete the post shortly before it was finished and has to start all over again, so feel free to point out any errors you spot. Oh and if my opponent, (Whose name I changed since I didn't know how to ask permission,) sees this and recognises our battle, just message me if you want your name to be on it, perhaps even give your own version of events alongside the gameplay =)

Good battle, but I noticed a couple things. One, Sludge Bomb is special, not physical. In any case, you should probably look things up mid-battle if you don't know anything.

4/5

Skarmory used Roost!

Selkie used Ice Beam!

Why didn't you use surf on his skarmory? You get stab and neutral damage whether he roosts or not.

This was an okay battle, but I sorta got bored. I like fast pased battles where you must sacrifice some of your Pokemon or get a suprise kill or set up a sweep. This one was more switching and DJ setting up entry hazards on you. But, as I said, it was okay.

I'm sorry but this was just a bad war story. You don't have enough knowledge of the metagame.
Try to battle more and read some archived war storys to see what a great battle is.

The commentary was good for most of the battle, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts as the battle progressed. Unfortunately, your knowledge of the metagame is very inconsistent. Your knowledge appears to be completely experiential, giving you reasonable insight into team building, but leaving you without a clue of certain fundamental game mechanics. Most instances have been mentioned already so I won't point them out again, but studying the resources on this very site will complement your intuition to make you a much more successful battler.

I look forward to reading more warstories of your future (more exciting) battles.

Commentary: 8/10
Overall: 5/10

Skarmory used Roost!

Selkie used Ice Beam!

Why didn't you use surf on his skarmory? You get stab and neutral damage whether he roosts or not.

This. I was like wait he gets STAB from water.

Also, Fighting isn't weak to Grass, it was weak to the secondary typing, Poison.

It was ok overall, don't write so much commentary, commentary is good, but in small doses.

You just need more experience, and then reflect on the matches you had, see what you would do after you have learned more.

Fighting is actually weak to neither, but poison does resist fighting, so I get what you mean. In regards to the warstory, the lack of metagame knowledge is too evident. Better luck next time, and keep working on it!

Hey

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments, although I think it's clear from some of you that I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself.

If you werre one of the posters mentioned here, please take the time to read my full reply as I tend to spread my answer out throughout.

Venser:

Yes! I know, that's what I thought during the battle but when I decided to look it up afterwards just to be sure I didn't make any embarassing mistakes, (Take a moment here to lol,) the page I found said that it was a physcial attack. Of course this confused me so I changed what I'd put. I guess the page I found was for an older game variant and I didn't realise it, my bad.

I would have looked stuff up if it weren't for the time limit, besides that would take all the fun out of it! =)

Treeeferrrr:

I didn't use Surf because I expected him to switch to something that would absorb an easily predicted Surf. Like I said I had this post almost completed when I accidentally deleted the whole thing and had to start all over again, by which time I couldn't remember even half of the battle, so you'll find plently of such issues.

Chou Toshio:

It does? Like I said, I'm a very new player and have very little knowledge of the metagame. This is only my fourth battle since I learn't about IV and EVs and have readied a team, so I am expecting for there to be a lot to learn, therefore my playing style is very experimental. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll know for furture reference.

Tawp64:

I totally agree with you, even I got bored going back over it. The point of this post was not to wow you guys with an amasing battle and my in depth knowledge of the metagame, but to introduce myself and find a fancy way of doing so. In hindsight perhaps an RMT post would have been a better idea. What I hoped to get out of this, was to say hello, show you my team and then a battle I found amusing due to Porygon 2, and then get advice as to how I can improve myself as a battler. This wasn't a serious post about a battle, it was more of a 'rate my battle,' and give me some tips kind of thing. I just wanted to try out a war log thingy for the fun of it.

Sorry it wasn't fast or exiciting as I tend to play more on the side of caution, but since I'm a very new player I guess my style will change the more I play.

Zdrup:

What are you sorry for? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I value your advice just as much as anyone esles'. I however am sorry you didn't enjoy the battle but I think you have looked at it from the wrong angle. I don't have much knowledge of the metagame as I freely admit, (This is only my fourth battle,) and that was kind of the feel of this post, my entering into competetive battling as an introduction. I know very well it isn't a great one, though my concern was more towards the commentary than the actual battle itself. Since I only have six logged battles at this point to go off, of course I wasn't going to have anything amazing to show off at this point, I just couldn't wait to get onto Smogon and start to improve my battlling, (The real point of this thread besides a fancy introduction.) I just used this one because of Porygon's performance desipite my inexperience.

As for the focus blast on venusaur, that orginonally read something about me thinking he would switch out and hoping to hit the counter hard, knowing it wouldn't be swampert and so not using leafstorm, but as I said, I accidentally deleted the whole post and had to start again so there's loads of things I forgot about and miss represented. To compare my memory to a seive would be insulting to a large majority of kitchen utensils.

A Random Dude:

The point of the post was to introduce myself and show a battle that is only noteworthy because of Porygon's uses. All I hoped to get out of this post was saying hello and then getting some (Much needed,) adivce about how to improve my playing style, what you guys would have done differently, etc. And you certaintly brought it.

As for your comment about metagame knowledge, I agree with you, but my knowledge isn't quite that bad, see response to other posts bear in mind i've only just found out what EV's are.

Coldcut:

Hey thanks I'm glad you liked the commentary, that was what I was focused on most. I was under the impression that these things were judged mostly on the actually commentary rather than how many mistakes are made in a battle and so thought my inexperience wouldn't be too much of an issue, for a non-serious post portrayed in a fun manner, but I guess that and the battle itself let me down.

I'd have picked something else but a 6 - 0 match just isn't as fun, as previously mentioned this was was chosen exclusivley because of the conversation I had right beforehand about Porygon, hence link to lategame since most beforehand is rather irrelevant to that part.

Summary:

So i'm sorry to have caused so much confusion but I hope this has helped clear it up for you. This post wasn't a serious (WOW! AWSOME BATTLE!) but a fancy way to introduce myself, show one of my very first games and ask for advice.

Keep it coming guys! If I haven't quite managed to explain myself fully, just say and I'll have another go, thanks.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Choice of battle: 6/10
Okay battle, a little boring because of the stallwar but I enjoyed it. Also, Swampert is good. Use him. There were a few blunders, some meh predictions, but it wasn't BAD.

Commentary: 8.5/10
Great commentary. Honestly, a lot of warstories are complete crap these days, but this one was nearly archive-worthy in terms of commentary.

Formatting: 9/10 Great formatting made this real easy on the eyes. Well done.

Blunders: -3.5/30. There were just too many mistakes and bad plays for this warstory to be good.

Overall: 20/30= ~6.5/10. This warstory was adequate. Neither good nor weak. Compared to other first-time warstories, it was pretty good though. A little above average overall, and I hope to see more in the future!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Bah, don't listen to them - we all had to start somewhere and this is pretty good for a first try. Your commentary was excellent too...it really shows that you put a lot of effort into this. I admit there was a few questionable moments where your inexperience showed and the battle itself wasn't all that but it was still a worthwhile read.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can come up with in the future because as far as first warstories from inexperienced players go, this is one of the best I've seen.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bah, don't listen to them - we all had to start somewhere and this is pretty good for a first try. Your commentary was excellent too...it really shows that you put a lot of effort into this. I admit there was a few questionable moments where your inexperience showed and the battle itself wasn't all that but it was still a worthwhile read.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you can come up with in the future because as far as first warstories from inexperienced players go, this is one of the best I've seen.

Quoted for truth.

I really enjoyed this warstory and I don't know why its getting bad press. Its a first time warstory and I saw a lot of work put into it. Heck it was better than 90% of the first time warstories I see, Well done and keep it up man. With a bit more experience you will go far!

While your limited knowledge of the metagame is clearly apparent, and you made some pretty weird mistakes, I still thought this was great for a first try. I see lots of first time war stories that aren't half as well written as this. Your commentary shows that you put a lot of thought and effort into writing this, so good for you.

I definitely look forward to reading another one of your stories once you've improved your game. Good luck! =)

Good for a first try. Commentary was decent though there were some things that you messed up on (Like Sludge Bomb being physical: It was in Gen 2 and 3 but NOT in Gen 4). There were a few misplays here and there, like not predicting his switching between Venusaur and Swampert.

I'd suggest going to Battling 101 to help you out a bit.

Otherwise, nice job.

3.5/5 :D

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The battle wasn't that great, but your commentary & formatting was , in my opinion, top class.
4/5 On Formatting alone
2/5 On the battle

dgf what everyone else says, I actually really enjoyed the lower end battle with silly mistakes and misconceptions. Very entertaining, great change of pace from 'compotent' battles that are rather predictable. Great formatting and commentary carry it through. Awesome stuff, I think the battle was played very well for what it was.

I don't think the "lack of knowledge" comments are really justified, you obviously know enough to play both competitively and compotently, and the few commentary errors you made had little impact on the battle itself. You're new to the game, mistakes happen and you learn the game little by little, and it's not like you're trying to act like a big shot. The only thing that's off putting about the battle itself is the amount of full paralyses on Heatran, but since Porygon2 had Recover it didn't matter. If readers didn't get that far...they shouldn't bother commenting.

Ignore the wannabe elitists, it says a great deal about you that you not only know how to format a warstory and took the time to do it, but you already know what kind of stories are worth reading (if you notice, a few other new users have posted 6-0 sweeps and or don't bother formatting the log). Keep it up.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
^ Precisely this. Many users who have been here for ages post worse warstories and know less than this, and this warstory has actually made me consider new things I otherwise wouldn't have for my teams. I look forward to future warstories from you.

I enjoyed the commentary: always good to see thought processes, even if they're a little off at times.

One mistake I noticed was switching out your Kingdra when he wouldn't have been able to switch back in due to SR+Spikes.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As others have said, this is quite a good warstory, especially for a first try.

I would advise you to start learning to estimate damage though. For example, when Venuaur switched into Kingdra's Draco Meteor, you could have finished it off right there and then, even with the special attack drop.

I look forward to seeing another war story from you!

I'm also putting in my vote for this as a good beginning. I enjoyed the read, and the mistakes didn't bother me because I can clearly remember when those exact mistakes (every single one) were in my standard repertoire of goofs and misconceptions. It won't take you long at all to get a handle on things, and it's obvious you're really paying attention to the Smogon environment and soaking up the flow of competitive battling. Looking forward to how you've improved when you next post a warstory.

Good warstory for someone new to competitive battling, try writing another warstory once you get some more experience, since it is evident you are good at writing warstories.

Overall: 6.5/10.

Liked the commentary too.

Pointed stones dug into Spooky!
Spooky lost (16%) of its health!

--(48%) - - vs - - (94%)--

Sludge bomb, so Venusaur is a physical sweeper

Alot of comments like this throughout but they were more amusing than anything.

Just learn some standard sets for a start, and I'm sure you will see much better battles.

Good try.

Aerodactyl is excellent to use as a lead since no-one sees it coming.

i was going to stop reading after this, but i was bored and continued.

honestly, your commentary and formatting are awesome. just awesome.
commentary: 9.5/10
formatting: 9/10

you should work on your strategy more. honestly, i don't know what your team is supposed to do. stall maybe?
gameplay: 2/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)