ORAS Doubles OU My Trick Room Doubles Team!

Hello There! This is my attempt at a Doubles Trick Room team. Please leave lots of suggestions!

The main problem I have been facing is rain teams. Apart from that, I have been winning guite alot of battles aside from a few rain teams. I am very open to suggestions and crtiquing, so go ahead!

Apocolypse (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Trick Room for obvious reasons, Nasty plot to sweep if given the oppurtunity, Shadow Ball for STAB, and hidden power ice to deal with dragons. This guy is pretty much going to force every physical switch, while I set up nasty plot. I have no problems what-so-ever switching this guy in. My <3

Hi-Five! (Hariyama) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

This guys job is to help set up trick room. Fake out, because fake out. Ice Punch for dragons, Pullet punch for priority, and close combat for STAB. He is like a lead who fakes out first turn, (for support), then to kill the remainder afterwards. Does a good job too.

U Jelly M8 (Reuniclus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 244 HP / 244 SpA / 20 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Trick room. Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, And Psychic for coverage. EV Spread to sorta be a SpD wall and to get the most out of SpA. This guy is a trick room setter, and a Special Attaker/Special Wall.

Volcano-Cow (Camerupt-Mega) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave

This guy packs a punch, and is my main trick room sweeper. He switches in on a dean mon, and using trick room just destroys teams. Eruption, for High damage STAB, protect to let another trick room go up if needed, Earth Power STAB, and Heat wave for when i'm on low health.

Troll.png (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Oh my god. This thing, refueses to take damage. This thing ATE a garchomps EQ no sweat. Obviously hes tank, BoltBeam for coverage, Recover because I need some recovery, and Trick room because It's the core of my team.

Hydragon (Hydreigon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse

I save this bad boy for last. He is for when all my other mons are gone, trick room is down, and i'm on my last resort. This is a special speedy seeper, common choice specs set.

So Yeah! Please rate my team, see if there is anything you could do to help, and Thank you very Much!
(First Post, Woohoo!)

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
To help against taunt and sucker, maybe protect>shadow ball on reuniclus? Shadow ball honestly doesn't cover anything. Also, make its ability overcoat, as it gives reuni immunity to spore and rage powder amoonguss, which really shuts down tr.

You have three trick room setters, which is a bit overkill. TR teams usually have two. Also, you only have 1 physical attacker, which can lead to problems against something like cm cress.

Replace porygon, who appears to be the most redundant, with tangrowth. Tangrowth is a very rarely used mon that also makes your team hilariously weak to tflame, but I think it'll help against rain. Also, tangrowth can absorb taunts/attacks for your setters and disable threats with sleep.

Tangrowth @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Brave Nature
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Protect

To help the aforementioned weakness talonflame, how about replacing hydrei with a trickscarf rotom w? It's once again a rare set, but it's unexpected and allows you to lower your speed under tr.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

My tangrowth spread was a bit lazy, so feel free to change it as you like.

Edit: ty shaian for not being lazy with spreads

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, here are some recommendations I think you should go over:

1. Cofagrigus: I recommend switching Cofagrigus to a more specially defensive build with Will-o-Wisp instead of HP Ice and Protect instead of Nasty Plot, as Cofagrigus has a naturally high defence, and this way it allows Cofagrigus to free up room for the other Pokemon on your team by being a more effective stop to physical attackers. I suggest switching to a spread of 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 SpD with a Sassy Nature. The given spread always lives a Modest Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse, and when considering Cofagrigus's massive 145 Defence, it should be a very reliable setter from both defences. As for move choices, I recommend trying out Shadow Ball / Trick Room / Will-o-Wisp / Protect, that way you can use Cofagrigus to wear down the opponents physical attackers, and get in chip damage with Shadow Ball to bring opposing Pokemon within range of Camerupts attacks.

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb (though Lefties, Sitrus, and Goggles all work fine)
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

2. Hariyama: The main thing here is the EV allocation. For Pokemon with a high natural HP stat, such as Hariyama, investing so heavily in HP has diminishing returns. You'll find that Hariyama is actually bulkier if you take away the 252 HP and split them between Defence and Special Defence.

Proof:
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 405-477 (82.3 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
compared to
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 334-396 (77.6 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another thing is that you'll probably find more utility with Knock Off instead of Bullet Punch. This way you can get rid of pesky items such as opposing Specs, Sitrus berries, Eviolites, and so on, and non-STAB Bullet Punch is piss poor anyway in terms of damage output (not even 2HKOing common Fairies). Lastly, you might want to consider trying Assault Vest Guts Hariyama, which is a set I personally love, as it can take common special attacks and dish out large damage easily, letting you play it much more recklessly. Also Hariyama is like a status magnet anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the Guts boost.

3. Reuniclus: Amongst other things, your Reuniclus spread if incredibly inefficient. The Sassy nature is really putting a damper on it, and using a Quiet nature, a spread of 244 HP / 120 SpA / 144 SpD gives it the exact same HP and Special Attack, and 10 more Special Defence. Though I personally prefer a spread of 248 HP / 40 Def / 200 SpA / 20 SpD Quiet Nature with a Life Orb, which lets it always live an Aegislash Shadow Ball, as well as a Sucker Punch from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan through 1 round of Life Orb recoil. Another thing is that you should probably switch either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast out for Protect, as finding a turn to stall for key parts of your team is pivotal in doubles.
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 244 HP / 120 SpA / 144 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 200 SpA / 20 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
4. Porygon2: Personally I don't think you need Porygon2 and think you would be better off with a support Pokemon for when you have Trick Room up (mainly Sleep support or Redirection), and the above idea about Tangrowth seems interesting (though that spread needs work). Anyway, your current spread is ineffective, and I recommend changing it to a spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD Sassy nature, which always lets it live a Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

BUT if you wanna try out Tangrowth, here's a cool spread you can try out:

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 HP / 128 Atk / 4 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

i'm dumb, disregard that ^ and that v

The EVs let it always live a Life Orb Terrakion Brave Bird / Flare Blitz, as well as a Timid Charizard Y's Heatwave in the Sun, and gives you a 50% chance to OHKO standard Rotom-W with Power Whip. Alternatively, you can bump SpD to 212 and drop Atk to 60, which always lets you live Modest ZardY's Heatwave in the Sun, and have a 1/16 chance to OHKO standard Rotom-W.

Other options are: Amoonguss and Ferrothorn (both good fairy checks), Talonflame as another fast option to pair with Hydreigon, Sylveon to pair with Camerupt for ridiculous amounts of spread damage.

Good luck with the team fren :>

Last edited:
To help against taunt and sucker, maybe protect>shadow ball on reuniclus? Shadow ball honestly doesn't cover anything. Also, make its ability overcoat, as it gives reuni immunity to spore and rage powder amoonguss, which really shuts down tr.

Yes, now that I think about it, Protect is probably more useful the shadow ball. *Goes To Shoddy and changes it*

You have three trick room setters, which is a bit overkill. TR teams usually have two. Also, you only have 1 physical attacker, which can lead to problems against something like cm cress.

Replace porygon, who appears to be the most redundant, with tangrowth. Tangrowth is a very rarely used mon that also makes your team hilariously weak to tflame, but I think it'll help against rain. Also, tangrowth can absorb taunts/attacks for your setters and disable threats with sleep.

Tangrowth @ Sitrus Berry
Brave Nature
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Protect
I agree that Porygon 2 was the least usefull. But I must say that Cofagrigus absolutely ruins T-Flame. Bait a Brave Bird, swith into Cofa, and instant shut down. Mummy removes gale wings, Cofa takes nothing, good bye t-flame.
I will try the tangrowth set, maybe make a few tweaks if I need to. I am a big fan of sitrus berry BTW. Thanks So much for the feedback, will try your suggestions.

Thanks! Yellow Paint!
Hey there, here are some recommendations I think you should go over:

1. Cofagrigus: I recommend switching Cofagrigus to a more specially defensive build with Will-o-Wisp instead of HP Ice and Protect instead of Nasty Plot, as Cofagrigus has a naturally high defence, and this way it allows Cofagrigus to free up room for the other Pokemon on your team by being a more effective stop to physical attackers. I suggest switching to a spread of 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 SpD with a Sassy Nature. The given spread always lives a Modest Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse, and when considering Cofagrigus's massive 145 Defence, it should be a very reliable setter from both defences. As for move choices, I recommend trying out Shadow Ball / Trick Room / Will-o-Wisp / Protect, that way you can use Cofagrigus to wear down the opponents physical attackers, and get in chip damage with Shadow Ball to bring opposing Pokemon within range of Camerupts attacks.

Cofagrigus @ Mental Herb (though Lefties, Sitrus, and Goggles all work fine)
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
I just thought of Cofa being a Defensive wall, but what you say makes him even more! Will definately make the change. When I made the team, I wasn't paying much attention to EV Spreads. I was just Hoping you could help me out with those! Thanks, now Cofa is even more amazing!

2. Hariyama: The main thing here is the EV allocation. For Pokemon with a high natural HP stat, such as Hariyama, investing so heavily in HP has diminishing returns. You'll find that Hariyama is actually bulkier if you take away the 252 HP and split them between Defence and Special Defence.

Proof:
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 405-477 (82.3 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
compared to
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 4 HP / 128 Def Hariyama: 334-396 (77.6 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another thing is that you'll probably find more utility with Knock Off instead of Bullet Punch. This way you can get rid of pesky items such as opposing Specs, Sitrus berries, Eviolites, and so on, and non-STAB Bullet Punch is piss poor anyway in terms of damage output (not even 2HKOing common Fairies). Lastly, you might want to consider trying Assault Vest Guts Hariyama, which is a set I personally love, as it can take common special attacks and dish out large damage easily, letting you play it much more recklessly. Also Hariyama is like a status magnet anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to get the Guts boost.
Thanks, I was considering knock of on my Hariyama, but I thought that Priority would be good. Only had to use bullet punch on a whimsicott before and that OHKO'ed. Again, I am not very good on EV spreads, so thanks for the help.

3. Reuniclus: Amongst other things, your Reuniclus spread if incredibly inefficient. The Sassy nature is really putting a damper on it, and using a Quiet nature, a spread of 244 HP / 120 SpA / 144 SpD gives it the exact same HP and Special Attack, and 10 more Special Defence. Though I personally prefer a spread of 248 HP / 40 Def / 200 SpA / 20 SpD Quiet Nature with a Life Orb, which lets it always live an Aegislash Shadow Ball, as well as a Sucker Punch from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan through 1 round of Life Orb recoil. Another thing is that you should probably switch either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast out for Protect, as finding a turn to stall for key parts of your team is pivotal in doubles.
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 120 SpA / 144 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 200 SpA / 20 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball

Thanks for the EV Spread, same as before. Probably go for the second one. I have recently changed Shadow ball for protect, but thanks anyway. I will keep the ability though, because I can use it to stop hazards.

4. Porygon2: Personally I don't think you need Porygon2 and think you would be better off with a support Pokemon for when you have Trick Room up (mainly Sleep support or Redirection), and the above idea about Tangrowth seems interesting (though that spread needs work). Anyway, your current spread is ineffective, and I recommend changing it to a spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD Sassy nature, which always lets it live a Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

BUT if you wanna try out Tangrowth, here's a cool spread you can try out:

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 232 HP / 128 Atk / 4 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

The EVs let it always live a Life Orb Terrakion Brave Bird / Flare Blitz, as well as a Timid Charizard Y's Heatwave in the Sun, and gives you a 50% chance to OHKO standard Rotom-W with Power Whip. Alternatively, you can bump SpD to 212 and drop Atk to 60, which always lets you live Modest ZardY's Heatwave in the Sun, and have a 1/16 chance to OHKO standard Rotom-W.

Other options are: Amoonguss and Ferrothorn (both good fairy checks), Talonflame as another fast option to pair with Hydreigon, Sylveon to pair with Camerupt for ridiculous amounts of spread damage.

Good luck with the team fren
Thank you so much for this! Porygon 2 was the most innefective, and I was going to end up switching it for something, but I wasnt sure what. Thanks for the Tangrowth set, will try it out (And most likely switch to it.).

Thank you So much Shaian for you feed back. Wow, gonna go to showdown right now and test your suggestions.

Thanks Again,
Skyfall913 :>

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah I completely forgot about that! lol my bad, i got assvest effects mixed with eviolite there :'x

anyway, try out this:
Tangrowth @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

- always lives adamant life orb talonflame brave bird / flare blitz
- can take up to 2 Modest Choice Specs Sylveon Hyper Voices
- sitrus number (divisible by 2 for activation at 50% + divisible by 4 for max hp)
- 31.3% chance to OHKO standard Rotom-W

or

Tangrowth @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 52 Atk / 4 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

- same talonflame stuff as before
- lives mega abomasnow blizzard
- sitrus stuff again
- 12.5% chance to ohko standard megabus

sorry about the bunk set earlier :>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)