XY OU My first XY RMT

This is the first team I've made for XY, and I'm not looking to use any legendary pokemon on this team. High offense team with 2 defensive players to take hits. Handful of choice items, so it requires me to be smart with my predictions to win.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Me First

Usually chosen as my starter. Gale wings is awesome as flying moves become priority. Brave bird and flare blitz for stab. U-turn is there to escape unfavorable match-ups and I get to switch into someone who can take all hits. Me First is used for unique match ups like Aerodactyl who using a rock attack. I rarely use it, so I'm very open to any ideas for a new 4th move.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall

Before making this team, I told myself I would use a choice band Azumarill no matter what. Love this guy. Open to getting rid of choice band if everyone hates that idea. I love this guy because of the type coverage of his moves. Great dragon counter, especially if locked into outrage. Aqua jet is there to negate the horrible speed stat and works for revenge killing.

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Chandelure is here for fun and helps provide typing balance. Often follows Venusaur to counter fire types. Primarily only comes out in late game situations that are favorable once I know counters are taken care of so I get a chance to set up with calm mind. I would be up for getting rid of substitute if any other good options are out there.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 76 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

My wall with a special attacker EV set. I debated going with a double powder to stun spore when the sleeping pokemon is switched out, but if I did that, I'd probably switch to a more defensive EV set. I'm also considering energy ball over protect for the chance to lower the opposing pokemon's SDef 1 stage so he can "set up" against sleeping pokemon that opt not to switch out that have a good typing to defend against poison/grass. Also considering growth for the last move spot. Leaning towards growth over energy ball if I make the switch.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Another wall. Great typing to handle a wide range of attackers. Often comes in pretty early if I can tell there is going to be a lot of switching by my opponent so I get get stealth rocks out there. Toxic is my main form of attack here over earthquake if Gliscor is stuck in the game late. This is a pretty standard set for him.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Last choice for this team. Was hoping to find someone that could revenge kill threats to azumarill and talonflame. Obviously he's my steel killer, trapping them in and hitting with hidden power fire. Volt switch allows me to duck out early if there is a double switch or something that puts him in an unfavorable position against another pokemon. I am very open to changing him to a completely different pokemon if anyone has any ideas on someone else who completes this team a little better. Possibly rotom-heat?

Last edited:
If you consider Venosaur your wall, I'd recommend switching protect (without toxic or leftovers or leech seed the scouting ability seems rather useless) and adding synthesis or leech see. Giga drain is not reliable recovery as anything that resists grass prevents you from healing. Also, as it's your wall you should use a more defensive EV spread, like 252 HP/252 Special Defense/ 4 Special Attack, but I understand this is more of an offensive team to you can tweak the Ev's to something like 252 HP/252 Special Attack/ 4 Special Defense or something of the like. Also, running 2 choice bands could work with prediction like you mentioned, but it might be a good idea to switch one of them fore life orb, but again if it's working for you don't change it. And finally, you should have a wallbreaker, or throw taunt on something, as some defensive pokemon can wall you team. Oh, and this is not common, but mega gyarados could beat your team as mold breaker negates thick fat to ice fang could kill Venosaur and gliscor, both your pokemon designated to take hits. Anyway i like your team! I rarely see non scarfed chandelure, and it looks cool on your team.

Thanks a lot for the help! In regards to your comments:
1. I see what you're saying about venusaur. I've enjoyed having him being able to attack back with more power. But with this team and the way I've been using him, I'm slowly leaning towards leech seed and a more defensive EV set.
2. Two choice banders. Having them both has been a "live by the sword, die by the sword" situation. I'm generally very good a predictions, but a little extra consistency would be nice. I really like the choice band/u-turn combo for talonflame as a lead, so I'll explore life orb on azumarill.
3. I've yet to have a mega gyarados sweep this team, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. If I see a gyarados on a team, I'll make sure to keep my magnezone alive for that situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)