ORAS OU My First RMT

Hey Guys DarkQuasar here looking for some advice on this team.

I built around Tail glow Manaphy and banded Talonflame I have noticed a couple of issues with the team, however I am not sure what my best options for adressing these are.

I have already made a few changes from the original squad and it feels pretty good right now, but could use a little something and I'm drawing a blank.

The Team

galvantula.gif
Aragog (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch
- Sticky Web​

Aragog here was originally a Trick Scarf Rotom-W but after half a dozen matches I felt it wasn't doing enough for me except against stall. so after some thinking i opted for sash lead Galvantula with webs to ensure that manaphy outsped most threats in the tier and after a Tail glow do massive dmg if not OHKO most mon. He also is a faster volt switcher that allows me to gather momentum if i decide not to set webs for whatever reason (read defiant bisharp/trick room cores) He has done amazing work since i added him to the squad.
garchomp.gif
Bladez (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide​

Bladez is my rocker and a strong physical wall pretty standard Tank chomp does his job well, the rocky helmet rough skin comes in clutch against physical mega's such as Lop and Medicham.
One thing I have considered however is running Yache berry because or Raikou and Mega-Manectric running around which would allow me to tank the HP Ice and Hit them with an EQ after wouldn't mind a little advice on whether this would be worth it though.
manaphy.gif
Mini (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Scald
Mini is my Special Sweeper we all know how good Manaphy is after a Tail Glow I Love this set and personally see no reason to change it, Leftover's are just to give Mini as much time on the field as possible. It can usually set up against walls such as Slowbro Magic guard Clef and even Banded Azu after it lock's into aqua jet or waterfall. Scald for stab, Energy Ball for bulky water types and Volcanion, and Ice beam for Dragons and Lando.
talonflame.gif
Jetscream (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind
Jetscream fills the Physical sweeper role it nukes any offensive threats with her Priority Brave Bird, Stab Flare Blitz, U-turn is for momentum and chip damage on opposing Talon Checks. Tailwind can be a clutch sweeper stop in the event. I let something set up on me somehow and my response won't outspeed without a tailwind. At full Hp it can live an adamant Black Glasses Bisharp's sucker punch and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.
togekiss.gif
Glowy (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Baton Pass
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
I wanted a fairy to deter the clicking of draco as it can punch holes in my team if I am not careful. however this has been one of the less useful member's of the squad thus far and I am not sure what to replace toge with.
metagross-mega.gif
HeadBanger (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
HeadBanger is a solid switch into fairy type's and good for absorbing predicted toxic's. It deals really well with clef and Ice punch is great against Tankchomp, Lando, the Lati's, Gliscor. I carry Hammer arm for Bisharp, Weavile (as long as I am close to full), Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt for stab respectively.
I added Metagross because it filled out my core A poor reason but it has done some work here and there.

I am hovering around 1300 I am fairly new to competitive Pokemon but i have played my whole life (grew up on Gen 1) I understand if this seem's like It's a bit basic I just got a little stuck while i was looking at the team and looking for way's to adress these issues.

1. Stall can be a problem unless I see an opportunity to set up with Manaphy I don't have a reliable way to break stall since I removed Rotom-w but Web's are so good for tail glow manaphy
  2. Metagross isn't terrible but it feels underwhelming any idea for another mega that could add something to the team (now that i think of it Sableye deserves some testing) without losing my Clef check
Thanks for sitting through this trash I have no doubt I am missing some really obvious stuff.

Hi! It's a pretty interesting team. I have a couple of suggestions for mons, and a few set optimizations.

Mons:
Galvantula --> Clefable
Firstly, as good as Sticky Webs are on paper, they just don't put in work in reality. They're easily played around and removed. Therefore I'd suggest changing your Galvantula to Clefable. We all know what Clefable does: Thunder Waves things then sets up Calm Minds. This pokemon provides a switchin to Weavile, as well as switchins to knockoff and other dark moves. It walls a huge portion of the meta and helps with the stall matchup as well. It provides a toxic/burn absorber with Magic Guard. A set of Moonblast / Thunder Wave / Calm Mind / Softboiled allows Clefable to provide the speed control you wanted out of your Sticky Webs reliably and permanently, and provides another win condition.

Talonflame --> Latios
Your team lacks reliable hazard removal and a switchin to keldeo, volcanion, and charizard-y. therefore i'd reccomend running Latios > talonflame. Latios' draco meteor is one of the strongest STAB moves in the metagame and it forces a lot of pokemon out, fearing the 2hko. It is also a lure for opposing Fairy types - for example, you can bait in a Clefable with your Latios and double to Mega Metagross and get a strong hit off. You maintain the ground immunity with Levitate, but additionally get some longevity and stronger attacks. Draco Meteor / Surf / Roost / Defog is what you should be running, Draco for the powerful STAB as aforementioned, Surf to lure in Heatran and non scarf Tyranitar and 2hko, Roost for longevity and Defog for hazard removal.

Togekiss --> Serperior
Togekiss really kills your momentum whenever it comes out and I feel as though that's why it's underwhelming you. I'd recommend switching it for Serperior. Serperior does a few things for your team: provides a check to water types like Keldeo and Starmie, provides a third wincon, and completes a fire-water-grass core in Manaphy + Talonflame + Serperior. A set of Leaf Storm / Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Fire / Taunt allows Serperior to scare steel types like Ferrothorn and Scizor after a leaf storm boost, and to threaten the Latis, who sometimes like to switch into leaf storm. Taunt allows you to set up leaf storm boosts on pokemon like clefable and chansey, and helps immensely with the stall matchup.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Roost
- Defog

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Lastly, I just have two set optimizations for you. Rock Slide chomp is not a very good option. Instead, run Fire Blast to hit those bulky steels that like to switch in on Chomp (ie Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory).

You also said that Mega Metagross is underwhelming to you, and I feel like it's because you lacked support before. Now that you do have support, Mega Metagross should be punching holes in walls to make way for Manaphy and Serperior to sweep. Therefore, I'd like to switch Ice Punch to Pursuit. Trapping pokemon such as the Latis is extremely important because they are some of the only pokemon that can stop a manaphy after a tail glow. It's also extremely useful against pokemon like mega manectric, which would otherwise threaten your team a lot. use it on the predicted volt switch.

Bladez (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

HeadBanger (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit

Hello nice team you have here. I notice that other water types are very hard to deal with on this team as your only water resist is your own water type which is a lot of pressure on 1 mon switching into water attacks from keldeo, manaphys, volcanion etc. I also notice common bird spam teams that pack talonflame and pinsir can be very difficult to deal with as they are very hard to switch into especially with their priority moves making them hard to revenge kill as well. As you mentioned electric types like raikou/manetric-mega can be pretty hard to deal with as your electric immunity can get 2koed by hidden power ice. Steel types like scizor-mega can be a little problematic due to your fire type not having recovery meaning it can get worn down fast especially with hazards up. You can dragon tail the scizor out however scizor will keep attacking the garchomp when you dragon tail meaning dragon tailing is not a permanent solution. I also notice how you have defog with a suicide lead sticky web user which is counterproductive because you will get rid of your own hazards that you get up since you are usually forced to defog to get rid of rocks (rocks can go up when you and your opponent trade hazards turn 1 since your suicide sash lead does not have a way to prevent rocks) for talonflame. I have a few suggestion that can help you improve this team.

->
My first suggestion is to run latias over togekiss. This allows you to have a water resist to check water types like keldeo, manaphy, volcanion while still maintaining the hazard removal support that is needed for talonflame. Latias can also help out versus electric types like manetric-mega/raikou as latias cannot be 2koed by hidden power ice from the electric types and can oko manetric-mega back with draco and 2ko raikou with psyshock. Latias also has access to healing wish meaning you can play more reckless with your team memebers like manaphy, talonflame, metagross-mega.

->
My next recommendation is to run thundurus-I over galvantula. This allows you to have a more solid answer to flying types like talonflame and pinsir-mega. Thundurus still acts like a hard hitting electric type and with a bit more speed then galvantula outspeeding base 110s like latios/latias/gengar etc. Thundurs-I was chosen over thundurs-T in this case due to thundurs-I being able to outspeed mega pinsir which can be a big threat especially with a sword dance up while thundurs-T cannot.

My next recommendation is to run Pursuit over Ice Punch. Pursuit compliments manaphy a lot as pursuit can eliminate psychic types like celebi,latios, slowking, latias which can be a nuisance to manaphy. I decided to remove ice punch as ice punch hit ground types like garchomp, landorus, gliscor but your other teammates have ways to hit the grounds type like ice beam, scald on manaphy and hidden power ice on thundurus. If you would like to keep ice punch you can run Pursuit over Zen Headbutt however poison types like venusaur-mega/ammongouss will have an easier time switching in.

Another recommendation i have is to run fire blast over rock slide garchomp. This allows you to hit steel types like scizor-mega which can be annoying as your fire type in talonflame does not have access to recovery meaning it can get worn down. Talonflame also does not appreciate switching into rocks so if scizor comes in on metagross-mega then you are forced to go talonflame to deal with it to stop scizor from setting up any further but that means you will take hazards and you cannot defog them before you go to talonflame since latias cannot switch into scizor-mega.

With the removal of togekiss dragon types like garchomp, latios, dragonite become a bigger problem. However offensive garchomp cannot switch into anything without getting 2koed besides your own garchomp which cannot 2ko offensive garchomp but offenisve garchomp cannot switch into dragon tail because draogn tail can just force it back out. Latios and latias can both be dealt with by going into metagross and proceed to eliminate them with pursuit. If metagross cannot pursuit trap for any reason like being too low health too switch in you can healing wish the metagross back up with latias or you can revenge kill the latis with choice band talonflame. Dragonite is pretty common now due to birdspam team rising in popularity however like garchomp, dragonite cannot switch in on much and cannot set up on much either, stealth rocks can also get rid of its multiscale allowing most things on your team to oko it. Electric types can still be an issue even with latias as eletric types are paired up with pursuiters who can eliminate latias by being volt switched into. To help with this problem you can consider running wacan berry over leftovers on manaphy. This allows you to lure the electric types with manaphy. You can tail glow on their switch in and they are less likely to volt switch due to volt switch not being able to oko manaphy so if they volt then something in the back of their team can take a lot of damage or they are forced to sack. So they will thunderbolt to try to eliminate you so you do not pick up any kills but with the wacan berry you can eat the hit and proceed to hit back with a tail glow boosted scald.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I chose a nasty plot set to help thundurs weaken or break threw common switch ins like latios/latias/chansey/ammongous which can help out manaphy to have an easier time breaking teams. Thunderbolt as a main stab electric moves to hit flying types, hidden power ice to hit dragon types, ground types, grass types etc, focus blast lets you hit normal types and steel types like ferrothorn, heatran, chansey etc. I chose the item life orb to give that extra power to thundurus, you can run leftovers for longevity however you have healing wish support to bring back thundurus if needed which is why i chose life orb

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)