Movepool changes

And it also doesn't require you to be Poisoned/burned which saps your health, you don't need to rely on recoil Brave Bird for secondary STAB because it gets Hurricane now, AND Scrappy is a perfect ability to go with Boomburst because it's really spammable. Oh, Swellow also gets Heat Wave so Steels that try to switch in to a Boomburst also get wrecked. Swellow for OU!
I'm pretty sure Hurricane is currently illegal with Heat Wave. Hurricane is an egg move, Heat Wave is a previous gen Tutor

I'm pretty sure Hurricane is currently illegal with Heat Wave. Hurricane is an egg move, Heat Wave is a previous gen Tutor
Yup, just checked and you're right. Interesting choice between Heat Wave and Hurricane, I'd probably opt for Heat Wave to not be completely walled by Steels.

Yup, just checked and you're right. Interesting choice between Heat Wave and Hurricane, I'd probably opt for Heat Wave to not be completely walled by Steels.
If that's the case then yeah Heat Wave is definitely the way to go. Hurricane doesn't even hit anything Boomburst doesn't except Soundproof mons. A specs set with Boomburst / Heat Wave / U-turn / and Air Slash or a Hidden Power of choice sounds like a lot of fun. I feel bad for Exploud though. His Boomburst is a lot stronger but Swellow offers at least some defensive synergy between 125 speed and actual resistances, making it easier to fit on teams.

And it gets access to Spikes too! Perhaps this will join Skarmory in OU
wut

Hrm. Dunno if you have room for Spikes AND Defog (Spikes or Defog IMO, but can't fit both since you need Roost and Scald, and also Air Slash to beat Keldeo which you wall), but if this is true then Mantine is even more OU viable (ie very solid niche at this point).

Metagross learns Iron Head now, which was Tutor-only before https://paste.ee/r/zYMUr
I can't see it. Did you perhaps mistook Iron Defense for it?

Few others that I saw:

Victreebel line now learns Poison Jab
Bibarel line now learns Crunch
Heatmor now learns Flare Blitz and Overheat

Stellar
Nice find! Really glad the Bellsprout line gets Poison Jab now.

Wierd how the Bellsprout line doesn't get Leech Life via TM but still gets it as an egg move. Another one of those wierd cases...

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
And it also doesn't require you to be Poisoned/burned which saps your health, you don't need to rely on recoil Brave Bird for secondary STAB because it gets Hurricane now, AND Scrappy is a perfect ability to go with Boomburst because it's really spammable. Oh, Swellow also gets Heat Wave so Steels that try to switch in to a Boomburst also get wrecked. Swellow for OU!
Well... I'd say wanting it to be OU is too much. Gets all it needs but honestly 75 Sp. Attack isn't exactally the greatest even with Specs. Will hit probably BL or UU but definetly not OU (Also, Heatran)

Mantine is tied with octillery for my favorite Water type, I'm so glad it might actually be good now thanks to the HP boost and finally getting the reliable recovery it always wanted. (will have to dig out my Pearl or Platinum to get one with Defog though)

Uh, what?
We've been saying for quite some pages Mantine gets Roost. Not sure what you mean by this reply.
I said it for Spikes :(

And it gets access to Spikes too! Perhaps this will join Skarmory in OU
wut

Hrm. Dunno if you have room for Spikes AND Defog (Spikes or Defog IMO, but can't fit both since you need Roost and Scald, and also Air Slash to beat Keldeo which you wall), but if this is true then Mantine is even more OU viable (ie very solid niche at this point).

Stellar

Was going through the list myself with a friend before discovering this thread. Found some you missed.

Mewtwo: Psywave
Wigglytuff: Spit Up, Swallow
Spearow and Fearow: Focus Energy
Probopass: Tri Attack

A lot of things now learn Absorb, as they replaced every early-learned Leech Life with it. This includes the following:
Noibat, Zubat, Volcarona, Accelgor, Galvantula, Kricketune, Shedinja, Ninjask, Ariados

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
>Dodrio - Jump Kick & Swords Dance

Pretty A+ move, considering Dod's also getting a +10 boost to its speed. Should move it up a couple of notches.

>Swellow - Hurricane

Heh, it's like somebody at GameFreak read Swellow's XY analysis and decided why the hell not. Definitely a viable Specs user now without question thanks to that massix SpA boost too.

>Flygon - Dragon Dance

Ehhhhhh it would've been more exciting if it weren't for the fact that Zygarde was introduced last generation and its new forms are almost completely better than it. Definitely would use for DORAGON KUROU shenanigans which Zygarde lacks and wants.

>Bibarel - Swords Dance & Aqua Jet

[NERVOUS LAUGHTER] in NU? Either way hilarious yet kinda threatening.

>Skuntank - Sucker Punch

Thought Skuntank always had that, but either way good shit.

>Diancie - Power Gem

Good for CM sets, not much else due to Diamond Storm's supposed +2 Def buff.

Overall, pretty good changes almost worthy of HGSS. Can't wait to play with these new toys soon.

>Flygon - Dragon Dance

Ehhhhhh it would've been more exciting if it weren't for the fact that Zygarde was introduced last generation and its new forms are almost completely better than it. Definitely would use for DORAGON KUROU shenanigans which Zygarde lacks and wants.
If I'm not mistaken, I think Power Construct Zygarde can't have Dragon Dance (or Extremespeed). Removed from level up movepool or something like that. So maybe Flygon has a niche? I mean, probably not. But maybe.

Flygon has Levitate, Roost, Defog, access to Fire Punch/Fire Blast, and even U-Turn. Definitely better then Zygarde now that can learn DD.

BL for sure.

Mega Sharpedo got a HUGE boost in OU viability thanks to the addition of Psychic Fang (base 85, breaks screens).

Max Attack Naughty (or Adamant if you go Waterfall over Hydro Pump) Psychic Fang OHKOS Keldeo (which is 3HKO'd by Crunch), 2HKOs Banded Azumarill (who gets 2HKO'd by Poison Jab but Ice Fang is far more common), 2HKOs Defensive Mega Venusaur (Crunch does under 50%) and Defensive Chesnaught (which wasn't 2HKO'd by Ice Fang or Poison Jab), OHKOs AV Conkeldurr, obliterates Mega Lopunny (which normally gets 3HKO'd by Crunch most of the time, and only 2HKO'd by Waterfall), and 2HKO's Clef with some prior damage (although Poison Fang/Jab always 2HKO's here).

Oh, and it'll let Mega Sharpedo muscle past the new fat Water/Poison too with ease, something that a lot of physical attackers will have trouble with.

That is a TON of common Mega Sharpedo checks and counters that are either cleanly OHKO'd or 2HKO'd on the switch. Sure, you're still frail and not too fast without +1 from Speed Boost and kinda need Protect, but this is still a huge buff to viability in terms of making Mega Sharpedo a late-game cleaner.

Nice to see that Diancie is finally getting Power Gem, it can go fully special now

Also, I, for one, welcome our new beaver overlords

Pangoro getting Bullet Punch is also pretty cool, it can finally deal with those pesky Fairies

Flygon has Levitate, Roost, Defog, access to Fire Punch/Fire Blast, and even U-Turn. Definitely better then Zygarde now that can learn DD.

BL for sure.
Zygarde still has superior bulk, Coil, Extreme Speed, and Thousand Arrows to its name, while 10% has the same Attack and better Speed. If anything, Flygon is the one facing competition, though it'll still be better if it hits a lower tier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)