Monthly Art Contest 5!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bam! Back from a 2 month hiatus due to internet issues. Way back in MAC 3 I "dropped out" of the competition , but in reality I finished my piece, but of course my net box didnt think it worthy.
A near complete version of it can be seen here
http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/VictusInferi/?action=view&current=TheRevolution2-1.jpg

As for this MAC, I love the concept and got started right away. Heres an early rendering

Its based on a Frill Shark, and also has a sorta Gladiator thing going.
Any suggestions? Feedback really helps...
And good luck everybody!
Wow, awesome idea dude! It looks so ancient!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Work in progress! The preliminary color/value study-- then I'll blow it up, refine it like hell/get the perspective right, make the designs clear, change the composition/canvas size a bit, etc... but I thought it might be interesting to post my paintsketch!

I love seeing people's designs so far; mine's still rough, but I'll get there, just have to keep a Pokemon-mentality in mind as I go in and work more.

Wow Victus, that is excellent!
Shinxe, yours reminds me of dinotopia, if you ever read those books :D

Looking great everyone! I'm still toying around with my pokemon concept at the moment.

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
ffff Sentret

If it reminds you of Dinotopia then I'm going in the right direction.
James Gurney = pretty much my favorite Illustrator ever

Thank you! I'm looking forward to see what you do. :D

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gosh you people work fast, it's barely been a day and already all these good-lookin' works in progress are popping up!

*goes off to research fossils*

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Work in progress! The preliminary color/value study-- then I'll blow it up, refine it like hell/get the perspective right, make the designs clear, change the composition/canvas size a bit, etc... but I thought it might be interesting to post my paintsketch!

I love seeing people's designs so far; mine's still rough, but I'll get there, just have to keep a Pokemon-mentality in mind as I go in and work more.

AWESOME!!! I love archaeoptrix (spelling?) Anyway, looks sweet dude.

Wow I'm loving everything I see! Fantastic work guys, I'm looking forward to seeing the end result ^____^

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
Yep Chou! I love those things, too, it was either that or a microraptor, which is much the same anyway.

Thanks!

I like the second one better, myself. It makes it look a little less "natural", and pulls off your theme a bit better. Did you base the fakemon off of anything?

Ohhhh, dangit. I didn't even check that. Okay then, new concept in progress now. Lesson for me to check all similar Pokemon before creating one...*facepalms*

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This one's giving me a ton of ideas, but none of them are good...

Trying my best to avoid designing a lolimon again, although that's REALLY tempting to do right now!!

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Victus you will call it MURMILLOST

It looks like a Murmillo gladiator, whose helmet is actually based on a Fish. The "Lost" part is because it's extinct and I couldn't think of anything better 8D

Lmao, Shinxe enters, I'm not even going to try.

Nah, just kidding, but I do like your draft-thing, Shinxe, love it. I was considering entering this month (I loved the dragon den topic previously, the submissions were great) but I am really not a fan of Fakemon. I'm going to try and see how it comes out, ART SCHOOL DON'T FAIL ME NOW!

Shinxe

there and back again
is an Artist Alumnus
ahaha... what no :V Did you SEE Chou and Aragorn and Yilx etc etc last month? dayuumm upped the ante like whoa

well speaking of art school, god only knows if I can finish this piece what with classes starting next week. :1

ahaha... what no :V Did you SEE Chou and Aragorn and Yilx etc etc last month? dayuumm upped the ante like whoa

well speaking of art school, god only knows if I can finish this piece what with classes starting next week. :1
All of theirs was amazing :D In fact, Icepick's was probably one of my favorites, there were like 5 that I really, really liked. I just said that because you posted and they didnt yet, xD

Good luck with school. I know how difficult and time consuming it is :(

Chou Toshio

Over9000
It looks like this round there will be some deviation from The Smog. Last month, The Smog articles and the MAC entries were due on the same weekend, which made things crazy (albeit Jimbo said Smog art stuff could be late, I think alot of people were working on them simultaneously). Well, this time it looks like MAC is early and The Smog is late, so we should get some reprieve. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)