Monotype Monotype: Mind Blown (200th post special!)

Hello. My name's Kilgrave, and here is another RMT from me (I posted one last week lol). I usually like to leave big gaps between my RMTs, but I've reached my 200th post and I needed to do something special. So, here is one of my favourite Monotype teams: Mind Blown.

Keep in mind that this team was made during the Hoopa-U suspect, so I didn't even think of including it in teambuilding.

The team:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock

Basically your average physically defensive Slowbro. Scald + Psyshock doesn't make it completely passive against Dark types, and Thunder Wave paralyses everything, allowing my triple scrafers to clean up teams. Out of my defensive core, Slowbro is definitely the bulker and better of the two, its bulk plus Slack Off makes it difficult for anything that can't hit it super-effectively to take it down.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Defog

Mew is the Pokemon on this team that I have the biggest problem with because for me its too passive. The problem is that this Mew is suffering severe four-moveslot syndrome: I want to run a coverage move so that it can hit Dark types, but I need SR for bugs, Defog to stop rocks screwing over Victini, one of my main attackers, and Roost for recovery. As great as a wall Mew sometimes is, I think this moveset needs improving.

Note: Thinking of changing the moveset to 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Victini literally brings victory to this team. It is my wincon in a lot of matchups such as Grass, Steel and, most importantly, Bug. If I didn't have Victini in the Bug matchup in would certainly be difficult to win against them. I hate mixed sets so instead I use this fully physical set. Victini makes up my triple scarfer core, and is probably the best and most reliable of the three.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch

The second of my three scarfers, Jirachi brings the extra Steel typing into the mix, giving it some handy resistances. A neutrality to Bug and a lot of resistances are really helpful. While not as useful as Victini, Jirachi still puts in the work.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

During the Hoopa-U suspect, I needed to find something that could replace Hoopa and still do its job. Enter Gardevoir, my third scarfer. It's frail, it hits hard, so it's basically a discount Hoopa-U. Healing Wish is handy and Fairy coverage is useful and pretty much needed. It's a wincon against Dark teams and is really helpful in that matchup.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Victini is a wincon against Bug, Gardevoir is a wincon against Dark, and Mega Medicham is a wincon against everything. Double priority basically kills anything below 30% health. This thing is absolute power and just destroys everything. I just keep picking off stuff with the power of Fake Out + Bullet Punch. I have Drain Punch over HJK because I need the recovery. Mega Med needs to keep switching out and that's usually into hazards.

Faster Scarfers: Basically anything that has higher than base 100 speed and a Choice Scarf outspeeds by entire team. Worst culprit is definitely Terrakion, which stops me completely sweeping Fighting teams.

Scolipede: One Speed Boost = Sweep. Enough said.

Flying Teams: They're just too good. Also Mega Medicham can't touch them, which means I have an immediate disadvantage.

Bug Teams: They just beat me pretty much every time due to type disadvantage.

Thanks for reading! Here's some extra stuff at the bottom:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Defog

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Medicham @ Medichamite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-415597501
My team versus whatever this is.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-415464892
6-0 versus bad Fighting team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-470977274
A replay from today. I think this is my first ever win with this team against Bug.

(Not gonna tag because it's not that important)

Everyone from Silly Things You've seen in Other Metagames. They really got my confidence to what it is now on the forums. Thanks! There is too many to name, but if you've commented a couple of times on there recently, you're on that list.
The entire monotype community, thanks for helping a really shit battler become slightly less shit.
Dece1t, you've been really nice to me lately, not many people are like that to me. Thanks for letting me work with you in MonoCAP, its been a pleasure, and I hope it stays that way.

And finally, shoutout to all the good people of Smogon, who have made me so happy for the last year, where I can forget about my many troubles and have a good time. Thank you all, and here's to many more posts and good times!

Sup Dude your team looks real fresh and I dig the no Hoopa-U. There are a few things you may want to consider changing tho.

- Most psychic teams have a hard time dealing with Dark type set up sweepers such as Mega-Gyarados and Mega-Sharppedo. You might want to run a Colbur berry on your Slowbro so that you can take one hit and then neutralize the threat with Thunder wave. Also you should run 24 Special Defense EVS so that slowbro does not get 2HKO'd by specs Keldeo Hydro Pump after Stealth Rocks.
- Your Jirachi set is nice but you may want to change Drain Punch to U-Turn. This allows you to switch out on annoying threats and give your Medicham Free switch ins so it can nuke the apposing team with HJK. Drain punch does a significantly worse job at accomplishing what U-turning into Medicham and clicking HJK can do.
- Mega Medicham has insane wall breaking abilities so running Drain Punch kinda holds it back from denting opposing teams, Running Thunder Punch allows you to 2HKO annoying threats that can switch into Medi such as Slowbro. Although having Dual Priority is nice having it is not as needed due to the fact that you have a Jirachi to deal with Fairys.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This RMT has the right core Pokemon for a non Hoopa-U Psychic but a couple sets are sub-optimal
  • Hammy mentioned this but Colbur Berry> Leftovers. Colbur Berry reduces the amount of damage a dark-type attack does to Slowbro. Grass Knot should be ran for Mega Gyarados and Mega Sharpedo, which would otherwise 6-0 your team. The last move is a choice between Thunder Wave and Fire Blast. Thunder Wave is used to slow down threats, while Fire Blast is used to do significant damage to Bisharp. The EV spread Hammy suggested should also be used for Keldeo and also Mega Charizard-Y.
Main Changes: Colbur Berry>Leftovers, Grass Knot >Psyshock Maybe: Fire Blast>Thunder Wave
  • The best Mew set is often really hard to decide. Although Psyshock gives Mew an offensive preference, it isn't worth it. The main issue I see with the team is lack of a Bisharp check. Wil-O-Wisp>Psyshock which allows Mew to burn and cripple Bisharp. Another issue I see is the set is the EVs: EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe > EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 SpD The current EVs seemed to just be slapped on because of not knowing a proper Mew spread. The spread allows Mew to outspeed even Jolly Bisharp and Burn it. This also helps against Breloom as well. The last problem I see is how unreliable of a Defogger it is. Taunt>Defog: This change allows you to prevent setup sweepers from setting up and also allows Mew to prevent Stealth Rock
Main Changes Wil-O-Wisp>Psyshock, EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe > EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 SpD, Taunt>Defog
  • The Victini set needs minor tweaking because there are some glaring issuesThe main Change is Blue Flare>Zen Headbutt, This change allows Victini to better check bug-types. With that change the EVs need to be tweaked EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe > EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe. This change allows Victini to take less damage from Stealth Rock and allows Victini to run Blue Flare effectively. Next Change is Hasty Nature>Jolly nature which allows Victini to effectively run Blue Flare and gives Download users the Attack Boost instead of Special Attack boost
Main Changes: EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe > EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, Blue Flare>Zen Headbutt, Hasty Nature>Jolly Nature
  • The Jirachi set is kind of sub-optimal and needs some tweaking. First of Drain Punch is kind of useless on Jirachi because the team has Slowbro to deal with Heatran already. U-Turn>Drain Punch, This change allows Jirachi to punish switches. Based on another change I'll mention later Healing Wish>Zen Headbutt. This change opens up the team for other changes.
Main Changes:U-Turn>Drain Punch, Healing Wish>Zen Headbutt
  • or
    >
    This change is because Choice Scarf Gardevoir isn't as good because of Mega Sableye being banned. There are two ways to fix this, The first way is adding Life Orb Latios. Latios gives the team a defogger and also provides the team with key resistances and also fills the void of Defogger since Mew set is changed. The other option is to run Choice Specs Meloetta. This provides the team with a powerful special wallbreaker. Choice Specs Meloetta also gives the team a much needed Gengar check and is a ghost immunity.
Main Changes: Life Orb Latios or Choice Specs Meloetta>Choice Scarf Gardevoir
Good Luck with the Team!!!
Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Grass Knot

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Victini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Hidden Power (Fire)
- Defog

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)