MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know, I think that the AL East will be quite interesting and entertaining again this year.[their free gents/quote]

Well that's fairly obvious. The Yanks have a new stadium and pressure with the free agents. The Rays have pressure to do well again and prove they wern't a fluke. The Red Sox always have pressure to do well. Finally the Jays and Orioles have pressure to compete. This is just gonna make the division crazy and you can't forget that most of the tems in it are pretty damn good.

My Angels are startin off good :). Just as last year showed Joe Saunders is just as much of a beast as usual. 3-0 shutout =D.

I'm really excited for us this year. Sports Illustrated has us only winning 86 games but I don't really get that especially considering all of our Inter-League games are against the NL West and we can rip them all to shreds. Plus we are in arguably the crappiest division in Baseball.

Our pitching looks just as godly as ever. Saunders was 17-6 last year. Santana went 16-6. Lackey 12-5. I'm slightly worried about Jared Weaver but if he can pitch like he did his first year for the Angels(went 13-9 or so) then that'll be great. Plus Kelvim Escobar is set to comeback and pitch again this season. Plus with the addition as Fuentes for new closer I think is good. He had 30 saves last year behind a mediocre Rockies team and with the Angels I think he'll do well. Plus we got Bobby Abreu from the Yankees and Vlad is lookin healthier than ever.

I really can't wait for more of this season. I'm so excited.
Weaver was just absolutely terrible last year, he was just not up to par with what we really needed to contend with the rest of our conference. The Abreu trade is fantastic, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he's gonna do for us.

Yea yea MLB is back.

joshe

the best
Cassilla's walk-off was amazing. the Twinkies are gonna light up the scoreboard tonight. Carlos Silva sucks.

EDIT:I am Soooo Right!! that was crushed.

Everyone here still talks about the Mets and the Phils but the Marlins are a very dangerous team because their bullpen is definitely able to get the outs that they need. It's not easy though and I think they are a couple good relief pitchers away from a good run. This is easily the most underrated rotation in the NL East. Nolasco, Johnson, and Volstad all showed last season that they can pitch very well. By the way, don't be surprised if the Marlins make the Wild Card or even win the division. They can match up with the best of them.

I also think that even though the Orioles don't have much in the way of pitching, they'll be in the mix throughout with that lineup. Texas will have a good offense again (even though Milton Bradley played a key role). I am also looking forward to see what the Mariners do because I think Griffey will provide a boost even though he is in decline.

Everyone here still talks about the Mets and the Phils but the Marlins are a very dangerous team because their bullpen is definitely able to get the outs that they need. It's not easy though and I think they are a couple good relief pitchers away from a good run. This is easily the most underrated rotation in the NL East. Nolasco, Johnson, and Volstad all showed last season that they can pitch very well. By the way, don't be surprised if the Marlins make the Wild Card or even win the division. They can match up with the best of them.

I also think that even though the Orioles don't have much in the way of pitching, they'll be in the mix throughout with that lineup. Texas will have a good offense again (even though Milton Bradley played a key role). I am also looking forward to see what the Mariners do because I think Griffey will provide a boost even though he is in decline.
Doubtful on the Griffey part. Seattle is nothing more than really a mediocre team. Griffey is getting old and the best boost he'll give is the fact that he's ending his career with the team he started with imo. Maybe I'm wrong. Guess we'll have to see.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm gonna have to agree with NF. Griffey is at the end of his career,a great one yes, but he doesn't make the Marlins dangerous he's really just gonna sell tickets. But it's the begining of the season and just about anything can happen.

wow, Angel pitching prospect Nick Adenhart died in a car crash late last night after someone ran a red light and crashed into his car. He had just pitched 6 scoreless innings too against the A's in a game a couple hours before.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/09/adenhart.killed/index.html?cnn=yes

That is shocking to say the least imo. I calculated out approximate times and it would seem that he was just driving home after the game when it happened. That really sucks.

Oh shit another Angels fan? <3
Oh shit another Angels fan! :D

I actually currently live in seattle, and I've seen some nasty games last season that just made me realize that the Mariners are not as good as they were two seasons ago. They're not in sync and they cannot bat for shit. Griffey should help for awhile but it's definitely going to take a lot more work than him to get that team back to its former glory.

wow, Angel pitching prospect Nick Adenhart died in a car crash late last night after someone ran a red light and crashed into his car. He had just pitched 6 scoreless innings too against the A's in a game a couple hours before.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/04/09/adenhart.killed/index.html?cnn=yes

That is shocking to say the least imo. I calculated out approximate times and it would seem that he was just driving home after the game when it happened. That really sucks.
Oh my god. I didn't even know that that had happened. I feel awful for his family.

Holy shit......

I hadn't even heard of him but wow he seemed like a great prospect to pitch 6 scoreless innings which was something the Angels greatly needed out of a starter for now because of the lack of Kelvim Escobar back in their lineup. I feel terrible for his family my god. Jesus he was only 22. Imagine the career he could have had ahead of him.....

And they just showed they can score 26 runs in THREE games, surpassed only by the Rangers (always ridiculous offense) 29 in three. The next closest after those two is Blue Jays with 24 in four games. Obviously these rates are not going to be sustained, but god damn.

Last night showed me just how fallible Litsch is as a pitcher. He got hit hard. Sure, he had a decent WHIP and a respectable K/IP ratio, but he registered more flyball outs than groundball outs (a sign of a guy who gives up lots of line drives--most likely to result in hits--and a sign of a guy who gives up lots of homer runs). He just has a below average pitching repertoire, with a decent cutter, at best. Pinpoint accuracy will only get you so far.

Ricky Romero was a pleasant surprise. Glad to see that he did well; I was afraid he would be too nervous, lose command and give up tons of walks. It remains to be seen if this is the case later in the season (as based on his minor league career he walks guys a ton), but this afternoon was a good ball game.

Aug that Mariners game was a heart breaker. They were up 5-3 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, then they gave up three walks in a row and the twins got three runs in. Made me wants to crawl in a hole and die.

joshe

the best
Aug that Mariners game was a heart breaker. They were up 5-3 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, then they gave up three walks in a row and the twins got three runs in. Made me wants to crawl in a hole and die.
haha GO TWINS!!! way to go Casilla.

Anyways, that sucked when the twins Got shut out...by frickin washburn and morrow, ugh...

he's a rookie off to a great start too :(

I've read and I've read but I have no idea what anybody is talking about. Could somebody explain to me what this MLB is?

just saw this on espn: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200903163977827

this

this commercial has singlehandedly made me want to go to pirates games, whoever's idea this was absolutely rules (if you dont get it go youtube shamwow [i asked my mom yesterday if she knew what slapchop was cause she was talking about making salad and she said no then i asked about shamwow and also no so yeah])
Just when you think that the Pirates can't sink any lower...

I still seriously do not get it - I see more Pittsburgh Pirate caps at the University of Texas than ANY other type of baseball cap.

Well, Mariners finished up okay with the twins and have been doing good with the A's-could this be the year they actually do something!!!!!

They were stupid to lose J.J. Putz though.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
toronto blue jays

the best team in baseball.

i'll enjoy it while i can

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Kinda disappointed to see that some people in this thread are rooting for the Cubs. This is a topic for the MLB... not minor league clubs.

Anyway, go Cards. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)