Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone mentioned Low Kick for Megatwo X yet?
I'd have thought people would have been all over that, given how heavy most of the motherfuckers in Ubers are.

What are his base stats at lv.70 with perfect IVs and a neutral nature. I tried using some online calculators but they all give different values... they're either broken/outdated or I am doing something wrong, which could be possible because I am still somewhat new to the series.

I also have Y, albeit if someone could provide both X/Y it would also be nice for anyone else reading this.

What are his base stats at lv.70 with perfect IVs and a neutral nature. I tried using some online calculators but they all give different values... they're either broken/outdated or I am doing something wrong, which could be possible because I am still somewhat new to the series.

I also have Y, albeit if someone could provide both X/Y it would also be nice for anyone else reading this.
Mewtwo's stats are the same across X and Y. At level 70, with a neutral nature and no EVs, his maximum stats will be:
HP: 250
Attack: 180
Defense: 152
Special Attack: 242
Special Defense: 152
Speed: 208

Ok, I love MM Y, it's the ultimate god pokémon. But I'd humbly propose a set I've thought for MM X, a mixed bulky "sweeper" (only I don't put clear evs because I'm writing this out of the blue) :

Evs: Def, Sp.Def and Spe (even though you can apply Sp.Def evs in HP or one of the attacks instead)

Nature: Naive (+Spe; -SpDef)

Moves:
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Calm Mind
- Psystrike/Psychic

I think this should be a powerful threat to every team that doesn't include a Dark/Ghost pokémon. Since MM X keeps its all-but-unusable Sp.Attk, it can be a great chance to strike foes on both fronts while gaining HPs lost for BU or CM with STAB Drain Punch. You should start with Bulk Up, and then decide wether further boosting with CM or begin to wreak havoc. Unfortunately it would fall for Taunters, and probably won't have happy times against Yveltal and maybe Lugia, but it can definitely be a deal. Maybe not the perfect poke, but probably a dangerous one, with proper team support.

Uturn weak, scarf weak, good enough reason on why mewtwo Y is shit.
Those also describe Darkrai and regular Mewtwo and Soul Dew Latios and a bunch of other things, all of which are incredibly powerful. And if by "scarf weak" you mean it fears being outsped... well, what Pokemon doesn't except for Deoxys-S? The only two regular U-Turn users are both 4x weak to fire so they are checks only - and Scizor never outspeeds MMY's base 140 speed (even if MMY runs Modest nature), even with a scarf, though Bullet Punch can cause good damage.

If being vulnerable to certain scarfers and being weak to u-turn is your only argument that MMY is shit, you should jsut quit Pokemon. MMY has great special bulk, massive speed, insane power that is comparable to regular mewtwo with a recoilless Life Orb, and an incredible special movepool to take advantage of the highest Special Attack stat in Pokemon history. Psystrike is also a massive reason Mewtwo and MMY are so good, destroying many would-be checks without a second thought. If you don't like MMY, fine, but saying its shit proves you don't know anything about Pokemon whatsoever.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, I love MM Y, it's the ultimate god pokémon. But I'd humbly propose a set I've thought for MM X, a mixed bulky "sweeper" (only I don't put clear evs because I'm writing this out of the blue) :

Evs: Def, Sp.Def and Spe (even though you can apply Sp.Def evs in HP or one of the attacks instead)

Nature: Naive (+Spe; -SpDef)

Moves:
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Calm Mind
- Psystrike/Psychic

I think this should be a powerful threat to every team that doesn't include a Dark/Ghost pokémon. Since MM X keeps its all-but-unusable Sp.Attk, it can be a great chance to strike foes on both fronts while gaining HPs lost for BU or CM with STAB Drain Punch. You should start with Bulk Up, and then decide wether further boosting with CM or begin to wreak havoc. Unfortunately it would fall for Taunters, and probably won't have happy times against Yveltal and maybe Lugia, but it can definitely be a deal. Maybe not the perfect poke, but probably a dangerous one, with proper team support.
Sorry, this set is awful. The +1/+1 setup moves are already suspect without reliable recovery (leftovers) or status blocking (substitute, taunt, etc), of which this has neither. You propose to make your setup last twice as long by using TWO of them?! Setup Mewtwo is already begging to be Toxic'ed, which is going to happen to this every single time.

If you want a basic 3-attack setup, good coverage can be achieved with Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Fire Blast. Remember that MMX's base special attack is still an enormous 154, so a fire blast (or flamethrower) coming off of that is still going to toast any problematic steel pivot. Drain Punch / Ice Punch provide pretty good coverage otherwise. It's rather irritating for MMX that Mewtwo still doesn't get Shadow Claw to make up for the lack of Shadow Ball on the physical side; his physical movepool really could use a little bit of love from Gamefreak.

Another three-offensive moveset that I've seen other people that I respect throw about is Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt. Zen provides more coverage and also hits a lot harder when neutral, obviously. In all of these, Drain Punch is used to try to offset the irritating lack of Leftovers. To answer a previous post, that's why you aren't seeing Low Kick get used so much. It should work great for those who don't have steels as a problem (Magnezone). Also, one could run Taunt or Safeguard in that last slot for better set-up ability, but loss in power or coverage. Like all Mewtwos, MMX has horrible four-moveslot syndrome.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Those also describe Darkrai and regular Mewtwo and Soul Dew Latios and a bunch of other things, all of which are incredibly powerful. And if by "scarf weak" you mean it fears being outsped... well, what Pokemon doesn't except for Deoxys-S? The only two regular U-Turn users are both 4x weak to fire so they are checks only - and Scizor never outspeeds MMY's base 140 speed (even if MMY runs Modest nature), even with a scarf, though Bullet Punch can cause good damage.

If being vulnerable to certain scarfers and being weak to u-turn is your only argument that MMY is shit, you should jsut quit Pokemon. MMY has great special bulk, massive speed, insane power that is comparable to regular mewtwo with a recoilless Life Orb, and an incredible special movepool to take advantage of the highest Special Attack stat in Pokemon history. Psystrike is also a massive reason Mewtwo and MMY are so good, destroying many would-be checks without a second thought. If you don't like MMY, fine, but saying its shit proves you don't know anything about Pokemon whatsoever.
Fact 1: base 130 speed and base 140 have little difference in terms of shit they outspeed. I guess mmy can outspeed arceus while using a modest nature but guess what? That doesn't matter because mmy is forced to run timid otherwise base 125+ outspeed it and ohko/flinch/sleep mmy. So overall speed is irrelevant. The only somewhat relevant thing is it doesn't have to speed tie to beat other mewtwo/gengar but mewtwo has bigger problems

2. The lack of LO doesn't help it's longevity much as far as defensive synergy is concerned since psychic is still a shit defensive typing and mewtwo will often get ko'd and/or unable to ohko mons that would go against it. Ho oh, ogre, Kia among the few.

3. "Better" megas being usable, why would one use a barely improved LO mewtwo when you could use something better like Luca/mewtwoX/scizor/Banette

I could say more but I'll list this as a primary list of why you wouldn't use it and yes Banette is a better use of a mega stone than mmy

Yeah I haven't ran into a single dangerous MMY set yet, they are all killed off before doing anything significant, there are just way to many checks now that he has terrible physical defense.

MMX hates status moves, otherwise if he can set up he is extremely dangerous. He isn't scarf weak or priority weak and aside from scarf darkrai, he handles him well. Depending if Arcues is running life orb or not, MMX can even survive a +2 extreme speed from Arcues without a bulk up and retaliate with a drain punch.

I just don't see MMY being more viable over MMX or other Megamons.

Fact 1: base 130 speed and base 140 have little difference in terms of shit they outspeed. I guess mmy can outspeed arceus while using a modest nature but guess what? That doesn't matter because mmy is forced to run timid otherwise base 125+ outspeed it and ohko/flinch/sleep mmy. So overall speed is irrelevant. The only somewhat relevant thing is it doesn't have to speed tie to beat other mewtwo/gengar but mewtwo has bigger problems

2. The lack of LO doesn't help it's longevity much as far as defensive synergy is concerned since psychic is still a shit defensive typing and mewtwo will often get ko'd and/or unable to ohko mons that would go against it. Ho oh, ogre, Kia among the few.

3. "Better" megas being usable, why would one use a barely improved LO mewtwo when you could use something better like Luca/mewtwoX/scizor/Banette

I could say more but I'll list this as a primary list of why you wouldn't use it and yes Banette is a better use of a mega stone than mmy
All of this is true. But you didn't say it was an unimpressive mega evolution compared to Mewtwo, you said it was an outright shit Pokemon, which is a whole other ball game.

The 1st post says that Unnerve Mewtwo was never released. That's not true. It was released in Japan in honor of the Genesect movie. It even came with Hurricane, and for some reason Heal Pulse.

What about running Facade? Would that be a valid way to turn a status into a good thing?
No. Facade is generally useless outside of Pokemon that can take advantage of it via Quick Feet or Guts. A more effective method would probably Substitute, or to just run an Aromatherapist/Heal Beller on the team.

I think mega mewtwo x is better off running a special set . The pros of x to regular meetwo is it neutral to bug and dark nd more bulk . It has the same speed and sp attack and it gets stab on aura phere

I think mega mewtwo x is better off running a special set . The pros of x to regular meetwo is it neutral to bug and dark nd more bulk . It has the same speed and sp attack and it gets stab on aura phere
Aura Sphere is only 80 now, and its Attack Stat is higher. It could be used as a mixed/surprise set probably though.

It is my understanding that the situations in which you used Mewtwo in prior generations, you now just use Mega Mewtwo Y instead. Same typing, and proportional boosts to everything (obviously excepting Defense) and cannot be put to sleep. You use it the same way you used regular Mewtwo, except you have many statistical benefits. Those of you using mewtwo as a physical tank may be out of luck, however. (That was a joke)

Mega Mewtwo X, on the other hand, is an entirely different (and I think superior) pokemon. Absurd Attack stat, defenses go up, every other stat stays the same. The Fighting secondary type in my opinion should be seen as a bonus, as Defensively, Bug and Dark types now hit for neutral damage, and provides a new resistance to rock, in return for new weaknesses to Flying and Fairy. And since you're opponent won't know from team preview (or logic, since 2/3 mewtwo forms are pure psychic) whether or not you will have the fighting type in battle, the Bug/Dark counters they have planned for the game's most famous psychic type will not be as effective. Offensively, a new STAB is added (Hello, Aura Sphere), which adds five new types to hit super-effectively, including dark types, which now must run away in fear from a pokemon they once countered so well. And with Steadfast, Mega Mewtwo X will have a lot of fun with Serene Grace Shaymin-S, who will surely be accidently boosting the speed of Mewtwos everywhere for the first month of Gen 6 Ubers. The other benefit I see is the 154 Special Attack stat still intact. This means that the monstrous special attacker that Mewtwo has been since the beginning is not lost on Mega Mewtwo X. Alongside with an Attack stat that outclasses Deoxys-A, you are looking at the greatest mixed attacker of all time. If you're worried about splitting EVs, just pick one side and roll with it, its not like either will let you down.

And since they both have the downside of no item, I would not use that to compare them. The moral of the story is that either one is an absolute beast, but with total base stats that blow arceus out of the water, is anyone really surprised to see the true god of pokemon return to take its rightful throne? I thought not.

Nah, Mega Mewtwo Y isn't really an upgrade to ClassicTwo. You trade some minor boosts to speed and spdef for being Genesect fodder. (ClassicTwo can realistically Recover on a U-Turn to come off with about 20%ish damage) There isn't really a jump in damage output either, Spermtwo only hits 1.2 times harder than itemless Classictwo (like exactly 1.2) so it's just like holding a plate for every type.

Mega Mewtwo X is a beast thoug. Donkey showed me a set earlier thats BU, Dpunch, Zen, Taunt and its pretty beastly.

Mega Mewtwo Y does get the advantage of Insomnia, though. It may not seem like much, but the irritating Smeargle leads can't do much in the face of it, and it does help your team deal with Darkrai even if it can't outright counter or check it.
Doesn't mean that it doesn't come without its problems, but it does work very nicely when you need it to.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
But smeargle leads aren't really that common nor good now that defog got a huge buff. So I don't really see much point in saying that.

^ Shell Smash Baton Pass with Spore and Sticky Web; absolutely nasty to run into unprepared. And hazards still play a part in the metagame; you're really exaggerating just how universal and useful Defog is.

But its physical moves all have low base power (75 bp and lower)splitting evs on both attacks isnt a good choice besides mew2 x Still has psystrike which would still make him a mixed attacker since its a special move that does physical damage , answer aura sphere is still has more bp than drain punch

Aura sphere only has 5 more base power and doesn't have the healing effect drain punch does.

Other versions of Mewtwo act as a better mixed attacker then MMX.

I can see MMX used in another way:

Mewtwo @ MiteX
Naive
4Atk 252SpA 252Spe
Psystrike
FireBlast
DrainPunch
IceBeam/Sub/whateveryoulikethemost

You can fake a special set and recover up with drain punch Mevolving 2nd/3rd turn.

Imo MMY is still viable for StallTwo, with wow to compensate the fact that it got a pretty terrible defense and a good 120 base spD / immunity to sleep / incredible speed, it can be really annoying.

Timid, good amount of speed and hp / defenses, wow / taunt / recover / sub or an offensive move.

Mewtwo isn't really hard to counter depeding on its set, unless its MMX Genesect counters 2/3 Mewtwo's and Aegislash checks all three versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)