Mew (Analysis)

Because we are at the beginning of a new generation, all Pokemon except the Pokemon in the list in this post are legal in OU. It's not necesarilly an OU list, but it's essentially a banlist. Also, why use Rest when you could do Leftovers recovery with Softboiled or Roost?
I keep forgetting Mew can learn Roost or Softboiled.
Thanks for the ban list.

Blissey can be an excellent teammate along side with one of the 4 new Musketeer pokemon. Using U-Turn can really help escape from pursuit and get an Attack Boost. Just another possibly to use for Mew.

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
I dont know if set is good enough to be refered but i just thought about throwing it in here so you guys can make your comments about it

Lead
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Taunt
-Psychic/Transform
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EV spread: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Atk

Since mew has speed base of 100, it will outspeed most of the hazard users since they are, most times, rather slow (exceptions for aerodactyl and accelgor) which will enable you to taunt them and set up your own rocks afterwards. If you are not comfortable with the match up or you feel like scouting/predict a switch, you can always u-turn out and send in an approprate pokemon. Psychic is mainly for those common fighting types that are pretty common now (conkeldurr for example) and transform is more of a gimmicky choice and might have some use as a surprise factor, but psychic is the better choice.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I dont know if set is good enough to be refered but i just thought about throwing it in here so you guys can make your comments about it

Lead
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Taunt
-Psychic/Transform
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EV spread: 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Atk

Since mew has speed base of 100, it will outspeed most of the hazard users since they are, most times, rather slow (exceptions for aerodactyl and accelgor) which will enable you to taunt them and set up your own rocks afterwards. If you are not comfortable with the match up or you feel like scouting/predict a switch, you can always u-turn out and send in an approprate pokemon. Psychic is mainly for those common fighting types that are pretty common now (conkeldurr for example) and transform is more of a gimmicky choice and might have some use as a surprise factor, but psychic is the better choice.
Leads technically don't exist this generation due to Team Preview. Rather, people are relying on mid-game hazard layers or offensive Stealth Rock users to their advantage. Therefore, a dedicated lead set really isn't necessary because Mew, most of the time, doesn't have leads to beat.

_Mew2King_

Banned deucer.
Roar can be used on the pure baton pass set. After a rock polish Mew can phaze any pokemon before they use roar, whirlwind and dragon tail. if the opposing pokemon has taunt, Mew can pass the speed boost to Espeon, who bounces back taunt, encore, leech seed, status, etc, then Espeon can use calm mind and baton pass (2+Spe, 1+SpA and 1+SpD is really good for a special recipient). Roar also annoys stat up and substitute users.

AccidentalGreed

Yah i did it works. I tested it on pokemon online the I won 4/5 times.
Um, okay. So sure, "it works". But how exactly does it work? Sucker Punch and Toxic seems filler on this set, and what is the actual benefit of Transforming? It seems to me that the Transform set only exists for the gimmick value.

Also, the analysis is in the Copyediting stage, so the set isn't exactly going to make it unless the analysis makes a second check.

Um, okay. So sure, "it works". But how exactly does it work? Sucker Punch and Toxic seems filler on this set, and what is the actual benefit of Transforming? It seems to me that the Transform set only exists for the gimmick value.

Also, the analysis is in the Copyediting stage, so the set isn't exactly going to make it unless the analysis makes a second check.
Sucker Punch makes the opponent less likely to attack you for a free Transform. Some opponents may try to set up on you while you spam Sucker Punch, so Transform gives you all the boosts as well although you still rely a Speed tie then. Toxic forces your opponent to attack eventually, but Taunt covers that as well.

Sucker Punch makes the opponent less likely to attack you for a free Transform. Some opponents may try to set up on you while you spam Sucker Punch, so Transform gives you all the boosts as well although you still rely a Speed tie then. Toxic forces your opponent to attack eventually, but Taunt covers that as well.
My thoughts exactly. Also the Sucker punch makes them think your running a different set so you can go ahead and call a switch in to something that sets up.

Sucker punch and toxic could be switched to Taunt and thunder wave with would break speed ties and stop set up as well.

It is for the most part more gimmicky but it's a gimmick that works. It doesn't need to be added but the transform set was good enough to be mentioned last gen so I have no idea why it isn't this gen.

There are better sets but playing smart makes this set just as effective.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes...because everyone is afraid of Sucker Punch and Toxic...*cough*Steel-types*cough*

_Mew2King_

Banned deucer.
What about a dual screens set? There are so many set up users that appreciate screens (Kingdra, Garchomp, Gyarados, ...), and Mew is so bulky behind screens ^^
252HP/224Def/32Spe, Impish or
252HP/252Spe/4Def, Jolly
Item: Light Clay
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Roost
- U-turn/Roar/Taunt

AccidentalGreed

What about a dual screens set? There are so many set up users that appreciate screens (Kingdra, Garchomp, Gyarados, ...), and Mew is so bulky behind screens ^^
252HP/224Def/32Spe, Impish or
252HP/252Spe/4Def, Jolly
Item: Light Clay
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Roost
- U-turn/Roar/Taunt
Well, first of all, this is in the Copyediting stage, so your set won't exactly make it unless Mew gets a second Quality Check. For the set itself, it's nice, usable. Keep in mind that Mew has other competition to deal with by using that set and could be outclassed in some areas, though, so it's better off in Other Options, IMO.

The primary WoW set needs to have better attacking options. IMO, Aura Sphere is far more effective than Mew's Psychic attacks, heck, even Ice Beam is more useful. WoW Mew doesn't want power, it would prefer easy kills on things like Tyranitar or Garchomp.

No Dual Screen set? It's a very nice quality to have good defenses, speed, and HP to pull it off and I find it odd that there isn't a set including such

I'd honestly recommend a Choice Scarf set to at least be mentioned somewhere on the analysis.

set: choice scarf
evs: 252 Speed / 252 Sp Atk / 4 HP
nature: timid
-Psycho Shock
-Aura Sphere
-Volt Change
-Trick

Psycho Shock is the primary attack and helps Mew break through some of its would be counters by hitting them on the physical defense side and also helps make it a good check to Calm Minders/Quiver Dancers on some level.
Aura Sphere is to hit those pesky dark pokemon that would take no damage from your psychic moves and also hits steel pokemon quite well.
Volt Change is for scouting purposes and keeping momentum. The fact it works off Mew's special attack is also a huge plus.
Trick is for crippling walls and for utility reasons. It has many purposes and just helps make this Mew work well.

The fact Mew is probably one of the only pokemon that can pull off this set is also a huge plus I would think.

The primary WoW set needs to have better attacking options. IMO, Aura Sphere is far more effective than Mew's Psychic attacks, heck, even Ice Beam is more useful. WoW Mew doesn't want power, it would prefer easy kills on things like Tyranitar or Garchomp.

You would be letting a far larger group of Pokemon setup all over you if you decided to run Aura Sphere. Most targets for it are crippled heavily by Will-O-Wisp, so it doesn't really matter. Ice Beam is a better option then Aura Sphere, and I could see it being slashed in with Psychic, but Aura Sphere doesn't deserve a spot at all.

Alright, alright, alright!

I'm going to do an overhaul this weekend, no more obvious nitpicks ok?
Sorry.

The Taunt+WoW set has Calm listed as the primary nature choice despite having a heavily physical defensive investment. It's a waste of stat points to boost one up that high then give the 10% boost to the lower one. If you want a touch of spD it would be much more efficient to get it through spare EVs.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Updated OP with the first half of the support set. Keep in mind, I did finish the entire analysis i'm just proofreading it.

The first EV spread has 504 EVs. Either put the 4 remaining EVs in Defense or Speed: outspeeding Gliscor and Rotom-W can be neat. I also recommend using Roost instead of Softboiled (easier to get in-game). Mention Tailwind and ResTalk somewhere in Other Options, too.

Mention Tailwind and ResTalk somewhere, too.
RestTalk is horrible on something that has access to instant recovery... what would it even run, w-o-w and s-toss? Maaaayyyybe OO it, but even then, it has better things to do. Tailwind + U-turn on a support set could be useful

Seriously though, why is sub not slashed on the BP set? It blocks status, dragon tail, and can be baton passed. It also gives you a safety net against crits, trick, and misprediction with either MC or Taunt. You do loose to taunt users (Especially Prankster-abusers), but they beat you no matter what if you lack MC.

Also

32 speed EVs lets Mew outspeed all varients variants of Tyranitar
Scarftar... It is rare, but "all variants" still would include him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)