SM OU Megagross-Lele-Magnezone Team

Alright here's my team. My basic idea around the team was Lele setting up Psychic Terrain, which in turn helps Latios and Pheromosa. (Initially my Mega-Gross too when it carried Zen Headbutt) I needed an answer to steel types that completely wall Tapu Lele, which brought me to using Magnezone. I've peaked 1485 on the ladder with this team (I know it's a bit low, but I'm not that good a competitive battler - that's the reason why I'm here :p)

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

I chose Mega-Metagross as the Pokemon to build my team around. Mega Metagross hits insanely hard with a base 145 Attack, coupled with Tough Claws. It also has really good coverage. Thunder Punch is there for annoying bulky Water types. Meteor Mash is the only STAB I'm going for - the attacks boosts are handy. Ice Punch for Lando and Garchomp. EQ for opposing Metagross and when I'm trapped by Magnezone. Zen Headbutt is missed, but with two more Psychic Pokemon in the team, it felt kind of redundant.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This is just standard Scarf Tapu Lele who can act as my wincon. Psychic under the terrain hits insanely hard. Moonblast is the secondary STAB. Shadow Ball for Metagross that try to switch in. The difference between standard Scarf Lele and mine is that mine carries HP Ground for Heatran, who otherwise shuts down Tapu Lele.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Magnezone gets rid of all the Steel types that annoy Mega-gross and Tapu Lele. Ferrothorn and Scizor are cleanly OHKOed by HP Fire. It can easily switch into non Superpower Scizor variants and get rid of it. It also 2HKOes Celesteela with Thunderbolt - all I need is a smart double switch (since Celesteela does carry EQ or Flamethrower) Magnezone also takes care of Toxapex.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog (Surf/Tbolt??)

This spot initially belonged to Tapu Fini, who also acted like a Dark resist, but I required a Ground and Fire resist as well, since Mega-gross and Zone hate EQs and Flamethrowers. Psyshock hits insanely hard under Psychic Terrain. Draco Meteor as a STAB. Roost for recovery. Defog is a move I'm unsure about (since none of my team is weak to rocks anyway, in fact 2 of them resist rocks)

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z (or should I go for SSSS?)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Landorus T is simply amazing and one of the best Pokemon in the tier. Stealth Rock helps me reduce switch ins and improve my matchup against stall. Because of its bulk and ability, I can find many chances to set up SD. EdgeQuake provides brilliant coverage - not resisted by many top threats. Rockium-Z provides a one time highly powerful Rock move - either to net OHKOes or when I can not afford to miss a Stone Edge.

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

I added Pheromosa to my team, because it's the best lead in SuMo. This is a standard scarf Pheromosa. It has those special attack EVs to OHKO Landorus with Ice Beam. U-Turn is there for scouting and it does come really good chip damage. HJK for secondary STAB (but I find myself missing it a lot :'() P-Jab is there for fairies. After one beast boost, I can OHKO fairies (or it can damage them on the switch in)

Other options:

Tapu Bulu: I've always wondered if I could fit Tapu Bulu somewhere in this team. Grassy terrain helps me deal with EQs, but weakens Lando-T at the same time. Grassy Terrain helps heal my Pokemon a bit. Also it gives me a Tapu Koko resist (provided it doesn't have Brave Bird)

Threats:

Tapu Koko: Leaving Magnezone, none of my Pokemon can switch into Tapu Koko. Pheromosa after a Beast Boost can OHKO with Poison Jab, but this mon is serious trouble!

Greninja: Dark Pulse from Ash Greninja OHKOes Mega-gross and Latios. Priority Water Shuriken can screw Pheromosa if Psychic Terrain is absent. Hydro Pump/Ice beam can screw Landorus T. My only answer to this mon is Lele (who is not locked into Psychic) or Magnezone, who can eat a Dark Pulse and OHKO with Volt Switch/T-bolt.

Opposing scarfed Pheromosa: I can't resist all four of it's moves at one. All my pokemon are weak to at least one move that is carried by Scarf-rosa
-

Last edited:
Yo, nice team. I noticed your team struggled with Greninja with it's ability to 2ko everything on your team. Also, other Scarf Pheromosa can be a threat as it can also 2ko everything on the team and is very hard to revenge kill due to it's speed. I have a few suggestions to help improve this team. I have a few suggestions then can help improve your team.

->
My first suggestion is to run Tapu Fini over Latios. This allows your team to have a check to both Greninja and Pheromosa as Tapu Fini can take on both of their Stab Moves. However, do be wary of moves like Gunk Shot or Posion Jab that Pheromosa or Greninja can run. Like Latios, Tapu Fini acts as a fire resist while also being able to remove hazards for your team with defog.

My next suggestion is for you to run Quiver Dance Fightinium Z Pheromosa over Choice Scarf. This allows Pheromosa to set up to be a bigger threat. You do lose speed with the choice scarf off of Pheromosa. However, you already have a Scarfed mon in Lele. Running 2 scarfers can be a huge momentum drain as you may lock yourself into a move where you allow your opponent to set up. Fightinium Z allows Pheromosa to have a 100% accurate move and is much stronger allowing you to ko mons like Mega Metagross much easier.

Also, you can consider running a more defensive Landorus-therian to be a more reliable check to threats like Excadrill (with Earthquake), other Landorus-therian (with Hidden Power ice) etc. You can consider running Yache Berry if you find Tapu Koko as an issue to live the Hidden Power ice and oko back with Earthquake.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Scald / Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 224 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hey. Thanks for your suggestions :)

The only problem I have with the QD Pheromosa set is that it can't afford missing a Focus Blast due to its bulk. It may (?) survive a special move after boosting with a QD, but it wont last any physical moves.

ez I played with your team and it helped, thanks!!

I have a few questions. How would Tapu Bulu do in place of Latios? I have two ground weak pokemon who are helped by Grassy Terrain. Also Ive seen that LO Wood Hammer hits pretty hard. Or should I get a rain setter up somewhere? This would help my match-up against Zard-Y immensely (also protects Zone and Gross who are important members) but will make me weaker to Greninja at the same time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)