SM OU Mega Steelix - The Most Underrated Mega

What is your favorite mega to use in SM OU?

• Zard X

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Zard Y

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Scizor

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Beedrill

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Steelix

• Audino

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Medicham

• Mawile

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Gyarados

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Alakazam

• Pinsir

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Sableye

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Venusaur

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Slowbros

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Introduction
Hey people! I haven't posted in a while but i wanted to share this team that I have been having a lot of fun with on the OU ladder recently. Since the start of SM OU I have been trying all the new mons, but once I ran out of those I started to dive into the more unknown megas that don't usually appear in OU. And that's how I got to the first mon on the team... Mega Steelix

Explanation

(Steelix-Mega) (M) @ Steelixite Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball / Heavy Slam
- Roar

Mega Steelix has a naturally amazing defense stat, without any investment it has almost 500 in defense. So I decided to to capitalize on this and put all of the EV investment into special defense. Steelix's great typing gives it the ability to take on some of the most threatening mons in the tier, including Tapu Koko, Mega Scizor, Mega Beedrill, The Latis, and Tapu Lele to an extent. Stealth Rocks are a necessity on any team, and Mega Steelix seemed like the best mon to provide me with rocks on the team. Earthquake and Gyro Ball are of course Steelix's dual stabs. Earthquake can be spammed once any levitaters or flying types go down making Steelix here a surprising threat with the great attack stat of 125. Gyro Ball is nice to have because it give you a nice move to hit the faster mons in the tier, but Heavy Slam can replace it if you fear running out of PP with Gyro Ball. Now to start when I first built this set I had to toxic for things like Tangrowth, but I found that Roar is a much better move making any setup sweepers useless against Steelix.

(Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

I normally try to avoid this insanely bulky mon, but I felt that a wish passer would go amazing with Mega Steelix. This didn't leave me with a ton of viable options, so I had to resort to a mon I despise. Chansey is an amazing wish passer because of it's 250 HP stat, making it have the second fattest wish in the game, just behind Blissey. Chansey can take on practically any special attacker in the tier, but it also can take some hits on the physical side due to again its insane HP stat. Wish and Protect are here of course for passing wishes and taking them in for Chansey herself. Seismic Toss is the only reliable way to get damage off with a Chansey, but this can be abused by setup sweepers. Luckily Mega Steelix can roar those mons out if need be. The last move I had is toxic to put mons on a timer and be able to win 1v1s vs the majority of pokemon in OU.

(Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt

Looking the wall core I created with Chansey and Steelix, the one glaring weakness I had was Fighting. To patch this, I decided on a defensive Tapu Fini. Tapu Fini is one of the best bulky waters in the tier and really fit with this wall core. But, when making this set I decided to try out Calm Mind to change things up. I have Scald over Surf despite the misty terrain because I think that Tapu Fini will staying in for long periods of time, long enough to where the terrain wears off. Also mons in the air can be burnt which is nice. Taunt is my last move to stop mons like Skarmory from Whirlwinding Fini out and mons like Ferrothorn from Leech Seeding.

(Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Usually when I build teams I like to have the offensive mons on my team capable of taking some of the the hitting taking pressure off of my walls. Latios does this perfectly, as it has great defensive synergy with Mega Steelix. While I may not have leftovers or any recovery on this Latios set, Chansey can pass wishes into Latios here with ease. Latios aswell provides the team with hazard removal which is always a good thing. And on top of that Latios completes the Fairy, Dragon, Steel core. Draco Meteor is going to nuke things, Psyshock for psychic stab as well as being able to take mons like Chansey that have poor defense. Hidden Power is my last coverage move to hit mons like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Klefki.

(Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge

The 4 types that Mega Steelix is weak too are Water, Fighting, Ground and Fire. Tapu Bulu destroys 3 of those, not including fire of course. As for EVs I went for max HP over speed because I never find having speed on Tapu Bulu to be useful. Most things outspeed it even if it did have investment. Anyway, Wood Hammer nukes 85% of the tier, Horn Leech is another form of grass stab that doesn't have recoil, Superpower to hit steel types that try to wall Bulu like Ferrothorn, and Stone Edge is for the fire types and flying types. Overall Tapu Bulu is just a monster and can punch enough holes which really gives late game sweeping potential to the last mon on this team...

(Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Finally, when I looked at the 5 mons on I had on the team, the one role that I wanted but didn't yet have was a scarfer. So, I put my favorite scarfer in all of competitive pokemon, scarf Thundurus-Therian. This mon can outspeed any base 100 mons that are trying to setup and sweep, like Volcarona and Salamence, but can also outspeed many of the normal scarfers you see in the ladder like Tapu Lele and Landorus Therian. Thundy's sky high 145 special attack lets it do great damage even without the boost of an item, which is one of the reasons it is such a great scarfer. Thunderbolt is just a general stab move, U-turn over Volt Switch so it doesn't get stopped by ground types for gaining momentum, HP Ice to hit dragon, ground, and grass types which all can tbolts. Focus Blast is to hit things like Ferrothron and other steel types which could otherwise take hits from thundy.

The Team

(Steelix-Mega) (M) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Roar

(Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

(Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt

(Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

(Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge

(Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Threats to the Team

This team doesn't necessarily have a great answer to Mega Medicham. The best way to handle it is to hopefully catch it with a protect from Chansey while it is using HJK. Otherwise Tapu Fini can take 2 HJKs and has a decent chance to live a HJK + a Thunder Punch from an Adamant Medicham.

The best answer this team has for Mega Mawile is Mega Steelix, but the SD Fire Fang set completely destroys that. Tapu Fini can't really touch it even though it may be able to take a hit.

Tangrowth doesn't necessarily beat this team, but the only switch in is Mega Steelix, which can't touch it and can only roar. Chansey can be knocked off making it not a good switch in, Tapu Bulu can be potentially sludge bombed but it also can't really touch Tangrowth anyway, Latios can be knocked, and Thundurus-Therian can be HP Iced aswell as not being able to do much damage to an AV variant. Tapu Fini obviously can't be switched in due to typing reasons. Luckily Tangrowth won't be able to win the game all on its own, but it is a pain to deal with.

Ferrothorn is hard to take down without a fire type. HP Fire Latios and Focus Blast Thundurus are the best way to take it down, unless it doesn't have power whip, then Tapu Fini can set up on it with Calm Mind and Taunt.

Conclusion
Well that is it! I hope you guys enjoyed my explanation of my team. Drop any suggestions in the comments, I am completely open to some other peoples insight. Will probably be dropping another RMT later in the week. See you all next time!

~N

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)