SM OU Mega Pinsir Squad

hello everyone, I built a team for USUM OU. Im tried to make a team that doesnt use mythicals or legendary pokemon. Leave feedback in the comments if u have any suggestions Thanks.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
The First Pokemon is Pinsir. I love Pinsir and how strong it is in competitive so I wanted to use it as my mega. The moves allow it to hit as hard as possible and have good coverage for a lot of pokemon. Quick Attack allows Mega pinsir to be a very good revenge killer as well.

Magnezone @ Steelium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
The next pokemon is Magnezone. Magnezone is here to trap and kill all the pesky steel types in the tier. It runs Substitute to get a free hit on pokemon when the enemy switches out on me. I use Modest since Magnezone is relatively slow and doesn't need speed. Steelium Z allows zone to get the extra damage off on other pokemon.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
The Next pokemon is Toxapex. Toxapex is my main special wall on this team. It checks Greninja and many other top threats. Haze allows it not to be setup fodder while the rest are common movves. Toxapex has also come in handy as a physical wall.

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Defog
The next pokemon is Rotom-Wash. Rotom-Wash is a incredible physical wall that can check a lot of physical threats. I chose Iapapa so it can get good recovery from taking hard hits. I opted for less speed so I could prioritize better defenses.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
The next pokemon is Hydreigon. I chose Choice Scarf to have better speed control over pokemon and be an extra revenge killer. I swapped U-turn for earth power to deal more damage to ground and poison types like heatran and pex. Overall, Hydreigon hits hard and is fast.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 36 HP / 244 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch
The last pokemon on my team is Conkelldur. I chose assault vest to help take special hits against strong special attackers. The moveset gives the most coveerage against threats. Guts allows me to switch in on mons who would use will-o-wisp to deal massive damage to them. Adamant allows me to deal as much dmg as possible.

hydreigon currently in this goal does not work with that variant the best way to wear it is like this:

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 244 SpA / 32 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

you can place magnezone scarf and hydreigon z
pd:sorry I do not speak English

It's a nice team, but what do you plan on doing when going up against fighting types?

Also, with what you are using Mega Pinsir for, I'd just switch that and pick up Mega Beedrill instead. Although it isn't in OU, I've had positive experience with it because it's fast, has an amazing Atk ratio, and can suit the needs of a non-legendary based team. I'll leave a few set suggestions below so that you can experiment as you wish, if you were to pick up Beedrill instead of using Pinsir.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- Defog

The first set is only different from the second set because of that third move. I personally find myself using Poison Jab over Acrobatics purely because it gets rid of Fairy tanks like Clefable, and also proves as effective against things like the Tapu's, especially Tapu Koko. You could also run Acrobatics in case you run into a Lopunny, Kommo-o, or Keldeo, which is likely and more necessary with the current team you have, since as I said before, your way of dealing with Fighting types on this team lacks a little.

NOTE: You don't have to make this change since the name of the thread and presumably the team as well revolves around Mega Pinsir, but if you want success, either switch to Beedrill or change the Pinsir set so that you have a way of dealing with Fighting types.

It's a nice team, but what do you plan on doing when going up against fighting types?

Also, with what you are using Mega Pinsir for, I'd just switch that and pick up Mega Beedrill instead. Although it isn't in OU, I've had positive experience with it because it's fast, has an amazing Atk ratio, and can suit the needs of a non-legendary based team. I'll leave a few set suggestions below so that you can experiment as you wish, if you were to pick up Beedrill instead of using Pinsir.

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- Defog

The first set is only different from the second set because of that third move. I personally find myself using Poison Jab over Acrobatics purely because it gets rid of Fairy tanks like Clefable, and also proves as effective against things like the Tapu's, especially Tapu Koko. You could also run Acrobatics in case you run into a Lopunny, Kommo-o, or Keldeo, which is likely and more necessary with the current team you have, since as I said before, your way of dealing with Fighting types on this team lacks a little.

NOTE: You don't have to make this change since the name of the thread and presumably the team as well revolves around Mega Pinsir, but if you want success, either switch to Beedrill or change the Pinsir set so that you have a way of dealing with Fighting types.
Acrobatics is an awful move to run on Mega Bee. Lop, Kommo-o, and Keldeo are all hit harder by Poison Jab thanks to its higher base power, STAB, and Adaptability.

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 204-242 (75.2 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 142-168 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 160-190 (45.1 - 53.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 112-132 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 214-252 (66.2 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 146-174 (45.2 - 53.8%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Technically Rotom-W is immune to Fighting so... also what Fighting-types beside Mega Lopunny are you thinking of?
That hasn't been true since Diamond and Pearl.

Acrobatics is an awful move to run on Mega Bee. Lop, Kommo-o, and Keldeo are all hit harder by Poison Jab thanks to its higher base power, STAB, and Adaptability.

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 204-242 (75.2 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny-Mega: 142-168 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 160-190 (45.1 - 53.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 112-132 (31.6 - 37.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill-Mega Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 214-252 (66.2 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Beedrill-Mega Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 146-174 (45.2 - 53.8%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That hasn't been true since Diamond and Pearl.
Didn't calc the poison jab ratios so that's my bad. If Poison Jab deems more effective then use that, but I find myself switching around with both depending on situation.

Didn't calc the poison jab ratios so that's my bad. If Poison Jab deems more effective then use that, but I find myself switching around with both depending on situation.
Also, you asked "what do you do against Fighting-types?" and then suggested swapping out Mega Pinsir, a Flying-type Pokemon with extremely strong Flying-type moves thanks to Aerilate.

Also, you asked "what do you do against Fighting-types?" and then suggested swapping out Mega Pinsir, a Flying-type Pokemon with extremely strong Flying-type moves thanks to Aerilate.
Fighting types run stone edge. Stone edge is ouchy.

Fighting types run stone edge. Stone edge is ouchy.
There are 5 Fighting types in OU: Keldeo, Hawlucha, Lopunny, Kommo-o, and Medicham.

Keldeo: Hasn't run Stone Edge since super early Gen 7.
Hawlucha: Very rarely runs Stone Edge to beat Zapdos, and has a 87.5% chance beat Pinsir 1v1 anyway with Acrobatics.
Lopunny: Doesn't learn a Rock move.
Kommo-o: Only learns Rock Slide, and never uses it.
Medicham: Only learns Rock Slide and never uses it.

There are 5 Fighting types in OU: Keldeo, Hawlucha, Lopunny, Kommo-o, and Medicham.

Keldeo: Hasn't run Stone Edge since super early Gen 7.
Hawlucha: Very rarely runs Stone Edge to beat Zapdos, and has a 87.5% chance beat Pinsir 1v1 anyway with Acrobatics.
Lopunny: Doesn't learn a Rock move.
Kommo-o: Only learns Rock Slide, and never uses it.
Medicham: Only learns Rock Slide and never uses it.
+1 0 SpA Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 195-229 (71.9 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - doesn't need a rock move
Medicham doesn't stay in on Pinsir, but pinsir doesn't switch in on Medicham when you know it can just predict with ice punch.
Lopunny-Mega 1v1s pinsir (return kills with rocks up, fake out + return kills with rocks up pre-mega)
Hawlucha acrobatics
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 196-232 (72.3 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Fine, Rock isn't the big issue, it doesn't change that pinsir is a pretty bad choice to be dealing with fighting types.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
+1 0 SpA Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 195-229 (71.9 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - doesn't need a rock move
Medicham doesn't stay in on Pinsir, but pinsir doesn't switch in on Medicham when you know it can just predict with ice punch.
Lopunny-Mega 1v1s pinsir (return kills with rocks up, fake out + return kills with rocks up pre-mega)
Hawlucha acrobatics
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 196-232 (72.3 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Fine, Rock isn't the big issue, it doesn't change that pinsir is a pretty bad choice to be dealing with fighting types.
Ehh idk, this wall of calcs doesn't necessarily show that Pinsir is a bad choice for dealing with fighting-types for this team, especially considering the team has countermeasures outside of just Pinsir anyway.

Specs Keldeo is not a very relevant pick in today's meta and is not a major threat given the specially defensive Toxapex. Spdef Pex also walls that Kommo-o set.

"Medicham doesn't stay in on Pinsir, but pinsir doesn't switch in on Medicham when you know it can just predict with ice punch."
Not much safely switches in on Medicham anyway aside from fat Psychic-types that don't fit all too well on this build. The point that Medicham gets forced out by Mega Pinsir is enough. It's offensively checked. Can't always fill a team with defensive Pokemon to try and check everything defensively, or else the team will lose its purpose (unless you're stall.)

These Lopunny scenarios are extremely skewed in Lopunny's favor and are oddly specific. Why would Pinsir come out in these situations anyway? This first scenario is assuming the following:

• You have Stealth Rock still up on your side.
  • Your Pinsir is already mega'd, meaning it'd take 49% from rocks.
  • The opposing Lopunny has not taken chip that would leave it at 69-82% (Quick Attack range).
No logical player would bring the Pinsir out instead of something like Conkeldurr, Toxapex, or the Phys. Def Rotom-Wash in this scenario.

The second assumes:

• You still have Stealth Rock on your side.
  • You haven't mega evolved the Pinsir yet.
  • You are for some reason willing to take a Fake Out and Return at only 76%.
  • The opposing Lopunny has not taken chip that would leave it at 69-82%.
I still don't buy a logical player making these sequence of plays despite having an Iapapa Berry Phys. Def Rotom.

I get that the point of these situations are to show how Pinsir-Mega doesn't always handle Fighting-types, but they rarely actually apply when it comes to this team, which should be the initial concern in the first place.

---

That aside, I suppose I can give a rate because I feel this team is lacking a few key elements too.

Firstly, this team is Tapu Koko food. It clicks Volt Switch on literally any Pokemon and can pivot around accordingly. The lack of a bulky Electric-resist (Magnezone does not cut it, taking 40-47% from Volt Switch) or even Electric immunity makes the match-up tough. It's not even like the team can offensively handle Tapu Koko reliably. Your fastest Pokemon is Scarf Hydreigon, which can catch Koko off guard. It will easily put Koko in Pinsir range with Earth Power. If you were locked into any other move, you either get Dazzling Gleamed, HP Ice'd, or Volt Switched on. Everything else is slower and is vulnerable to its strong STAB.

You lack a hazard user aside from Toxapex and its Toxic Spikes, which can make bulky teams extremely hard to pressure. Your primary offensive powerhouse, Mega Pinsir, won't have easy times busting past Pokemon without hazard support. I would highly recommend Offensive Stealth Rock Garchomp, as its Z-Stone Edge can soften up or even KO many of Pinsir's checks. Zapdos, Tornadus-Therian, Celesteela, etc. are punished hard by Continental Crush (the latter hit hard mainly by +2). This can replace Conkeldurr, as it doesn't offer too much to the team. Its purpose was to help with special attackers according to your post, but Toxapex invalidates the majority of what your AV Conk could target. The Magnezone can then become Choice Scarf to ease the Kartana match-up.

Lacking a Fairy-type can give free liberty to Pokemon like Clangorous Soulblaze Kommo-o, so I would also replace Rotom-Wash with Defog Tapu Fini. It makes the Heatran match-up superb (Z-Solar Beam sets aren't as threatening to Garchomp, though they will dent it heavily.) You can taunt more passive Pokemon and will still safely Defog on most hazard setters.

Having Toxapex in tandem with Tapu Fini isn't completely terrible, and Scarf Hydreigon can have its uses I guess, so I'll propose two options:

1. You can replace Toxapex with Ferrothorn to provide a better answer for Specs Koko. It will help with rain as well, since the match-up was made slightly worse due to the removal of Rotom-Wash. It appreciates Tapu Fini and Garchomp's presence, as it can safely swap out to these two when fighting Heatran. You gain a Spiker as well, which can provide additional chip for Pinsir's lategame sweeps. This can sometimes be counterproductive, though, as you rely heavily on Defogging rocks away for Pinsir.

2. You can keep Toxapex and replace the Scarf Hydreigon with Scarf Jirachi. It can not only heal up a weakened team member, but it can help against annoying Psychic- or Fairy-types like Tapu Lele. Sometimes baiting in a Steel-type, you can also use Jirachi to U-turn into Magnezone. There are a couple of others Scarfers that could have a place on this team like Greninja, Landorus-Therian or Latias. Gren can U-turn on incoming Ferrothorn and pressure annoying Pokemon like Torn, Lando, and Zapdos. Landorus provides an additional Ground-type, and can use Explosion to handle Hawlucha. Latias provides Healing Wish support like Jirachi, can cripple bulky Pokemon like Celesteela with Trick, and revenge kill fast offensive mons like Greninja or Garchomp. If Hydreigon has been working for you, you can keep it of course.

tl;dr

>

>

>
OR
/
/
/
>

You essentially gain Stealth Rock, an electric immunity, a reliable Fairy-type, and an extra Steel-type or a more reliable Scarfer. The team still won't be perfect of course, but I feel that the changes patch more holes than they make.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)