ORAS OU Mega Medicham - Balance

Hello!

I wanted to build a team around M.Medicham, because... it's a freaking powerhouse. but I'm struggling right now to come higher than the 1400's on the ladder. I think my team need some adjustments and I hope you guys are willing to help me. Beneath, I'm gonna give the sets and some insight, so you can see my thought process. :)

1. Medicham-Mega
The first member on the squad is Mega-Medicham. I run a pretty standard set, but I cannot decide whether I want dual priority with fake out and bullet punch or I want rather STAB Zen Headbutt to nuke some things. I'm aware that this moveset is completely walled by things like Slowbro, but I try to beat them otherwise.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out

2. Tyranitar
I added T-Tar, because M.Medicham can not handle fat psychic types, like Slowbro, but it also helps deal with the Lati twins better and can pursuit Gengar (have to be cautious of wow).

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Crunch
- Pursuit

3. Rotom-W
Rotom-W is the first member of my defensive core. It deals with flying spam, which stands also in the way of a Medicham sweep. I run dual status on it, because why not. t-wave helps slow opponents down, because Medicham is not the fastest. Wow for scary physical threats. Other 2 moves are obvious 2 main STAB's.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

4. Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn is my mixed wall, and provides the team with stealth rocks, and also has the t-wave to slow more opponents down (I know it's not that good in combo with my Gyro Ball). Leech Seed for some health recovery and mainly to annoy opponents or stop set-uppers.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

5. Latias
Latias does 4 things: switch in on Keldeo or Char Y, defog hazards, healing wish my sweepers, or nuke something with draco. :)

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

6. Clefable
I needed a last teammember, and as Clef is so good in OU, I chose him, but he did not put in the work right now.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

I think there lacks some synergy in my team, but I don't see what's going wrong. I have problems dealing with opposing Ferrothorn's for example, that's why I put Fire Punch on T-Tar, but that's only 1 example.

Does anyone have tips to tweak my team? :)

Thank you!

Hi! Right off the bat I notice a couple of things: Strong ground types threaten your team immensely (Scarf Landorus-T is hard to kill unless you can hit it on switchin, LO Mold Breaker Excadrill can OHKO every one of your mons, etc.); your team is also weak to fighting types with steel/poison coverage; your team is very slow with little speed control, with the fastest Pokemon being Latias.

To fix a few of things, I've changed a couple of your pokemon, and a couple of your sets.

Mons:
Hippowdon + Sand Rush Excadrill > Tyranitar + Ferrothorn
As your team stands, you lack a reliable wall to fighting types due to Clefable's weakness to steel. You also lack a good check to LO Mold Breaker Excadrill, and a Volt Switch deterrent. Hippowdon is all three of these things. With a mixdef spread, you can reliably set up Stealth Rock and recover off damage with Slack Off. Hippowdon remains a bird check with Stone Edge, and can hit Excadrill and other steel types with Earthquake. Sand Rush Excadrill provides another strong ground STAB in Earthquake and a strong steel STAB in Iron Head, which is extremely useful to check fairy types like Clefairy, which your team currently struggles with. A Swords Dance set would help a lot with breaking stall, which your team struggles with. The most important thing about this change is that Sand Rush Drill hits something like 425 speed, providing a great mon for speed control to outspeed slow enemy scarfers (tyranitar, magnezone, etc) and +1 speed mons (charizard-x, etc).

Sets:
Mega Medicham
I'd like to change your Mega-Cham set: Firstly, this mon shouldn't be trying to outspeed things, it should be obliterating things with Fake Out + HJK. Therefore, I'd like to run Adamant > Jolly. Secondly, psychic type coverage is largely unneeded as you already have a Latias with Psyshock. I'd recommend running Thunder Punch > Zen Headbutt. This gives you a no-risk way of hitting Volcanion along with Keldeo on the switch, and a way to hit other bulky water types (eg Suicune) super-effectively.

Clefable
The only thing I would recommend changing about your Clefable is its EV spread. Due to the fact that you already have a defensive wall in Rotom-W, and a good fighting + steel check in Hippowdon, I'd recommend a more specially defensive spread.

Rotom-W
Again, this is an EV optimization. I would run enough speed on your Rotom-W to outspeed Jolly Azumarill and Crawdaunt, due to the latter's recent rise in popularity. This is more of a preference thing, but it's proven useful to me multiple times.

Here are the sets.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)