MAT: Metagame Adjustment Trials (Month II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds really cool, I might as well be part of it, if not test out Manaphy myself! I go by Zarco on PO as well, so... Yeah.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that if you plan on playing some MAT matches, put a [MAT] before your PO username so it's alot easier to identify each other! Good luck again this period guys, I hope it goes well!

I think this is an absolutely wonderful idea, something I've been wanting to start myself for quite a while (not this exactly, but something that would get pokemon unbanned) but I have the leadership skills of a wet paper towel, so that wasn't going to happen. I'm in, I'll go by [MAT] Bladeezz on PO, so feel free to challenge me.

The only problem I see with this project set up (which could actually be a really huge problem) is that every team is going to be using this periods pokemon, which imho doesn't really give any relevant results to OU. If every team is using Garchomp, versus others participating who will also be using Garchomp, it's not really testing how the pokemon would do in OU (only sort of), but only in this MAT tier we've made between ourselves. I don't really know how to solve this problem, only thing I can do is hope to inspire someone to come up with one by saying we should look at how the OU DW tier is playing out right now (a place where manaphy, garchomp and friends are all usable, except this kind of defeats the purpose of testing things like just Garchomp without Excadrill). Really hope this project works out and can get some diversity back into OU (god would I love to use my favorite dragon in OU again, I miss him.)

The point is to get enough people involved not everyone will use Garchomp. For example, I'm available anytime so I accept challenges with my Garchomp team or without, to test it and I think that is what will really bring diversity to MAT, a larger amount of people. I see where you're coming from and it all goes to: this needs involvement.

So basically we'd make an OU team, classify it as Ubers, and see how it does in a theoretical "OU + MATmon" metagame?

Seeing as we won't have the benefit of ladder ratings to help us out with this due to the fact that we'd all be challenging each other, sure, Wynaut. (The custom server idea is an option, too.)

Making a [MAT] Unbreakable team as soon as I learn what "defensive synergy" is...I'm intending to try stall since offense hasn't really been working for me. :/

So it's been a few days in, what do you guys think of Chomp? I find him to be quite tame actually, with the Scarf set still being the best for revenging. It takes out dangerous things like Dragonite, Salamence, Terrakion, Hydriegon, Landorus, and even somethings that think they can KO Garchomp. He's an excellent Jirachi stopper being immune to Twave, but has to watch out for Body Slams. SubSD is still good, although it's a bit slow and things carry Ice Beam quite a lot. Garchomp's biggest problem is status from things that can take an unboosted EQ/Outrage. Things like Jellicent can easily WoW Chomp and render him useless. I really can't see why he's banned.
EDIT: Rather good match showing how a well prepared team has ways against Garchomp, showing he really can't come in that often.
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-MATThisIsAMAT-vs-MAT-JellyOs--2012-04-09

So I guess I'm late to the party? Anyways, I kind of knew Chomp would be tame. He was another "Ban this to hurt SS" just like Manaphy. Manaphy and Chomp could easily come back. They are not even the most potent pokes in DW. That meta is all Breloom, DNite (Which is arguably better than Chomp), Chandelure and Keldeo. He was used when Sand still had access to Excadrill. Chomp can easily come back with Manaphy, nothing in the meta would change. Dragonite would still be the number 1 dragon, VoltTurn would still be dominant and Heatran would laugh at all variants of Chomp with an Air Balloon. However as for things like Excadrill and Thundurus, keep them banned. Excadrill with its broken STAB EQ with Base 135 Attack and its own Speed Tier is not fair. Thundurus has 3 real checks and all are useless (Minus Gastrodon who is easily worn out by other means.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna lock this thread. It hasn't been posted in for about a month; I will gladly reopen this is JellyOs would like to continue working on this. Just send me a PM for an unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)