Mareep (QC: 4/4) (GP: 2/2)

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Mareep is one of the few Pokemon in Little Cup with access to both Light Screen and Reflect. This, coupled with only one weakness to Ground and solid bulk from Eviolite, gives Mareep a small niche as a dual screens setter. However, not only is Mareep one of the only Electric-types in Little Cup without access to Volt Switch, but it is shut down by basically any Taunt user, and lacks reliable recovery outside of Berry Juice.

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Light Screen
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Thunder Wave / Heal Bell / Toxic
move 4: Thunderbolt / Discharge
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice
ability: Static
nature: Bold
evs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Light Screen and Reflect double your team's Special Defense and Defense, respectively, and allow teammates to set up relatively unscathed. Thunder Wave paralyzes other Pokemon, slowing down potential threats which can let other Pokemon sweep. Heal Bell allows Mareep to reliably cure teammates of status behind the extra bulk of Light Screen and Reflect. Toxic allows Mareep to whittle down bulky Pokemon that take little damage from or are immune to Mareep's Electric STAB move, such as Porygon and Hippopotas. For offensive options, Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB attack, while Discharge is slightly weaker but comes with a 30% chance to paralyze the foe. Both prevent Mareep from being total Taunt bait.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is the preferred item because it maximizes Mareep's bulk, while Berry Juice gives Mareep a solid option of recovery; however, this makes setting up on Knock Off users such as Pawniard and Mienfoo much harder. The EVs and nature maximize Mareep's overall bulk. Mareep, backed by an Eviolite, is quite bulky. This allows it to pivot in and out of neutral attacks to set up. Static can paralyze physical attackers, allowing Mareep to set up screens later in the game.

Usage Tips
========

Mareep should be used before you want a setup sweeper to come in. Use Reflect or Light Screen based on what attacker is in front of you to receive immediate benefits, and then set up the second screen. Mareep has trouble getting past common leads, such as Onix, Dwebble, and Drilbur, and shouldn't be used in the lead position. Mareep should instead be used to support a setup sweeper later in the game. Try to reserve Mareep to come in on Pokemon that cannot deal large damage to it, such as Fletchling and Foongus.

Team Options
========

Wish support from Spritzee can greatly improve Mareep's longevity, allowing it to set up screens multiple times in the battle. Setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Scraggy, Belly Drum Zigzagoon, Bulk Up Timburr, and Swords Dance Fletchling as well as Baton Pass recipients such as Munna and Natu appreciate the added defenses Mareep's screens supply. Slower Pokemon, such as Corphish, Karrablast, and bulky Pawniard, enjoy the paralysis chances that Mareep offers between Thunder Wave and Static.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Light Clay can be used to keep screens up longer; however, Mareep loses out on the bulk of Eviolite or the recovery of Berry Juice, keeping it from setting up multiple times. Light Clay is usable if you aren't using bulky setup sweepers, as then the three extra turns of increased defenses aren't needed. Cotton Guard boosts Mareep's Defense to solid levels, but Mareep struggles to set up to begin with and should spend its time on the field supporting its team. An all-out attacking set with Thunderbolt, Power Gem, Signal Beam, and a Hidden Power of choice can be used; however, this is done better by Elekid and Chinchou, which have higher Speed and better movepools.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Mareep cannot touch Ground-types, such as Drilbur, with any attack, and they can respond with a powerful STAB Earthquake.

**Chinchou**: Chinchou shuts down Mareep with Volt Absorb, and it can status a Pokemon Mareep switches out to with a Thunder Wave or a Scald burn.

**Taunt Users**: Pokemon with a fast Taunt, such as Onix, Cottonee, and Mienfoo, stop Mareep from setting up screens. Onix, in particular, can Taunt Mareep and hit it with a STAB Earthquake.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Spritzee, Porygon, and Munchlax can all stall out screens and heal themselves quite easily.

**Grass-types**: Mareep's STAB move doesn't bother Grass-types much, while they can pressure Mareep with status. Most of them, such Foongus, Pumpkaboo, and Chespin, don't mind being paralyzed.

**Defog**: Defog removes the screens that Mareep sets up for its team; however, most Defog users are hit super effectively by Mareep's STAB attack.

Last edited:
There's just a couple formatting errors. Other Options should only have one section, not one for each set. Also, the second set and downwards randomly indents. On the first set change "name: Dual Screens Lead" --> "name: Dual Screens" because it needs to be consistent with the above set name and I also don't think this should be used solely as a lead. I'm really questioning the validity of the second set and have some other ideas for what might be good, so I'm going to hold off on QCing this for now and I'll get back to you after I talk to other QC members.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's just a couple formatting errors. Other Options should only have one section, not one for each set. Also, the second set and downwards randomly indents. On the first set change "name: Dual Screens Lead" --> "name: Dual Screens" because it needs to be consistent with the above set name and I also don't think this should be used solely as a lead. I'm really questioning the validity of the second set and have some other ideas for what might be good, so I'm going to hold off on QCing this for now and I'll get back to you after I talk to other QC members.
Name is changed. This is my first analysis ;-; sorry for the mistakes lol.

Don't worry about the mistakes. Happens to all of us, haha.

Dual Screens:
Slash Heal Bell with Thunder Wave.
I think you should slash Berry Juice with Eviolite.

Moves:
Your Thunder Wave wording implies that it increases your own speed. You should just talk about its effects on the opposing Pokemon.
Talk about Heal Bell here.

Set Details:
Eviolite is chosen to maximize its bulk, not to just survive! Since Mareep has no recovery, Berry Juice can be used, but setting up on things with Knock Off becomes much more difficult.

Usage Tips:
I don't think this set would be very effective as a lead. Instead I would talk about using it as a way to support setup sweepers. Setting both screens acts as a pseudo Memento that affects all of the opponent's Pokemon. Talk about using Heal Bell to cure your team of status. Mention using Light Screen or Reflect based on the pokemon directly in front of you or what you are predicting to come in, to receive immediate benefits.

Team Options:
Setup sweepers like Zigzagoon that can use the Screens to more easily setup and sweep.
Grass or Flying types such as Cottonee and Vullaby that can come in on Ground moves. Mareep also takes care of Flying-types for Grass-types.
Pokemon hindered by status like physical attackers or fast threats that hate burns and paralysis respectively. Think Pawniard or Abra.
Feel free to use your own examples, provided they are relevant and make sense^^

We decided to just scrap this second set. Sorry, but Mareep isn't good to start with and this set doesn't give it a good niche.

Other Options:
Change the wording a little bit to explain why Eviolite is preferred and then make the bit about setup sweepers more of a sidenote.
Cotton Spore and Eerie impulse sounds too gimmicky and bad, even for OO :[
Add Cotton Guard here, since we're removing that set.
Add an attacking set with Thunder Bolt, Signal Beam, and Power Gem, but explain that it has bad coverage and an attacking set is generally gone by other Pokemon like Elekid or Chinchou.

Checks and Counters:
I almost forgot. The formatting needs to be changed for all of these. It should look like:
**Ground-types**: stuff about them
There are only 2 relevant users of Brick Break and they don't even use it consistently. I'd remove the point about it.
Mention Chinchou because it absolutely cannot touch it and it's able to cripple setup sweepers that wish to come in after Mareep with Thunder Wave.
Give examples of all the checks and counters, and I'd especially highlight Onix because of its ability to taunt and heavily damage it with Earthquake.

Nice job QC 1/3 :]

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like for another QC member to weigh in on this, but I personally believe that the slashes in the fourth slot ought to be swapped, as it looks like the most viable options being suggested are Thunder Wave and Discharge together. Thunder Wave and Static already offer enough chances to paralyze opponents, and Discharge can actually miss the KO on Fletchling.

Try and emphasize in set details that 25/15/12 bulk with Eviolite is actually quite tanky.

Usage tips are a bit bland, mention that Mareep loses to a lot of common leads thanks to taunt, and should be used later in the game.

Add a few more set-up sweepers to team options, Bulk Up Timburr and SD Fletch also enjoy screens support.

In Checks and Counters, add Grass-types, as Mareep doesn't do a lot to common ones, Foongus and Pumpkaboo resist T-bolt and dont mind being paralyzed

Timburr sets up on Mareep easily, and recieves a Guts boost from being paralyzed

Spritzee and Porygon are bulky enough to wait out dual screens and can recover quite easily

QC 2/3

Holiday

on my best behavior
I'd like for another QC member to weigh in on this, but I personally believe that the slashes in the fourth slot ought to be swapped, as it looks like the most viable options being suggested are Thunder Wave and Discharge together. Thunder Wave and Static already offer enough chances to paralyze opponents, and Discharge can actually miss the KO on Fletchling.

Try and emphasize in set details that 25/15/12 bulk with Eviolite is actually quite tanky.

Usage tips are a bit bland, mention that Mareep loses to a lot of common leads thanks to taunt, and should be used later in the game.

Add a few more set-up sweepers to team options, Bulk Up Timburr and SD Fletch also enjoy screens support.

In Checks and Counters, add Grass-types, as Mareep doesn't do a lot to common ones, Foongus and Pumpkaboo resist T-bolt and dont mind being paralyzed

Timburr sets up on Mareep easily, and recieves a Guts boost from being paralyzed

Spritzee and Porygon are bulky enough to wait out dual screens and can recover quite easily

QC 2/3

On it. Thanks.

Edit: Changed the intro to a paragraph instead of bullets.

Last edited:
hiya Cheek Pouch

Overview
- Defog screws with other Dual Screen users, but Mareep can beat several Defog users with a super effective STAB Thunderbolt, giving Mareep another niche over other Dual Screen users.

Moves
- Heal Bell still has no explanation; it needs one.
- Toxic can go alongside Thunder Wave / Heal Bell. Poisoning Hippo/Pory/Chou/Chespin/Pump etc is useful as they don't really care about Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt (or are immune to it), and putting them on a timer hampers their longevity + helps wallbreaking/sweeping teammates more than Thunder Wave can in some instances. It might seem awkward with Static, but it's really not since most of Toxic's targets generally won't be using contact moves on Mareep.

Set Details
- If Mareep has Wish support, Eviolite is definitely preferred over BJ for the added bulk.
- I think moving the OO mention of Light Clay to this section is appropriate, since it's a set-specific item (still not slash-worthy though). Up to you.
- The Plus description seems unnecessary.

Checks and Counters
- Taunt users: Dwebble doesn't learn Taunt. I'd say Mienfoo, Onix, Cottonee are the notable ones (btw I think Onix autocorrected to Knox lol)

smh why doesn't this thing get Volt Switch :[ nice work kiba QC 3/4

Holiday

on my best behavior
hiya Cheek Pouch

Overview
- Defog screws with other Dual Screen users, but Mareep can beat several Defog users with a super effective STAB Thunderbolt, giving Mareep another niche over other Dual Screen users.

Moves
- Heal Bell still has no explanation; it needs one.
- Toxic can go alongside Thunder Wave / Heal Bell. Poisoning Hippo/Pory/Chou/Chespin/Pump etc is useful as they don't really care about Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt (or are immune to it), and putting them on a timer hampers their longevity + helps wallbreaking/sweeping teammates more than Thunder Wave can in some instances. It might seem awkward with Static, but it's really not since most of Toxic's targets generally won't be using contact moves on Mareep.

Set Details
- If Mareep has Wish support, Eviolite is definitely preferred over BJ for the added bulk.
- I think moving the OO mention of Light Clay to this section is appropriate, since it's a set-specific item (still not slash-worthy though). Up to you.
- The Plus description seems unnecessary.

Checks and Counters
- Taunt users: Dwebble doesn't learn Taunt. I'd say Mienfoo, Onix, Cottonee are the notable ones (btw I think Onix autocorrected to Knox lol)

smh why doesn't this thing get Volt Switch :[ nice work kiba QC 3/4
About time someone checked this lmao. Thanks.

How about special mareep
Mareep @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Level: 5
EVs: 112 HP / 124 Def / 36 SpA / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
move 1 Cotton Guard
move 2 Heal Bell/Light Screen/Reflect
move 3 Thunderbolt/Discharge
move 4 Thunder Wave/Toxic

Holiday

on my best behavior
How about special mareep
Mareep @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Level: 5
EVs: 112 HP / 124 Def / 36 SpA / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
move 1 Cotton Guard
move 2 Heal Bell/Light Screen/Reflect
move 3 Thunderbolt/Discharge
move 4 Thunder Wave/Toxic
Not only is that set incredibly unviable but this isn't the place to post stuff like this.

He's suggesting a set for the analysis, its fine for him to post here. The problem with that set though is the fact that a specially defensive Mareep set is not as viable as a physical one, given the fact that Fletchling exists and Mareep can handle it to an extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)