SM OU M Diancie + ground z greninja

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Dear reader,

Welcome to my first RMT! I made this team a little while back but I've been wanting to make an RMT for a while but if I wait till I finally make an exceptional team it will be a while. I'm most likely going to get something wrong as once again this is my first RMT, but hey ho I guess it's gonna be a learning experience (so be nice ). Without further ado, into he team!
Spr_6x_598.pngSpr_7s_788.pngSpr_7s_785.pngSpr_6o_719M.pngSpr_6x_658.pngSpr_6x_645T.png

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Mimolette (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Greninja (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dig
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Ipf (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

So now you've seen the team, let me take you through the creative process.

Spr_6o_719M.png
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

The first Pokémon here is Mega Diancie. In the current meta diancie mainly fills the role of a rocker on offence teams, aiming to get up rocks and keep them up Vs foggers like torn and zap. And my diancie set does utilise rocks and odviously keeps up rocks similarly, However I opted for earth power over protect, now don't get me wrong, I love protect on diancie, it makes magic bounce X2 as good and can scout choice users such as bands and specs to ease prediction. However, earth power grants the ability to hit some things much harder, namely drill and heatran fear earth power, and it makes diancie all the more threatening. It's worth noting that another Pokémon can lure a few more of diancie's issues outside of those afore mentioned two, and this brings on on to my next Mon.

Spr_6x_658.png
Greninja (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dig
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

So as you have probably seen by the set I am running ground z greninja with an additional hp fire tech, this set as you can probably see is able to lure pex, magearna, ferrothorn, mega scizor etc. It's a long list, and this is absolutely amazing for diancie. If you can lure and destroy one of these Mons during the course of the game, then suddenly diancie gets a field day as nothing that's not a resist can ever really switch into a moonblast! However my next thought is what if I fail to lure or my opponent manages to scout around me? Well this brings me onto my next mon, which also provides breaking support for the team.

Spr_6x_598.png
Mimolette (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

So my next pick was ferrothorn. Ferro does multiple things for the team, it begins my defencive backbone allowing me to check stuff like Lele and gren, as well as providing my breakers with hazard support in the form of spikes. Spikes are great for the team, if I fail to lure pex/gear with my z gren or am forced to use it elsewhere for whatever reason, then spikes allow Diancie to still be threatening. An assault vest magearna can only come in on an attack + spike so many times before it's in range of earth power from diancie, and as for pex, if diancie has rocks and spikes up then pex will find it almost impossible switch in with the imminent danger of an earth power 2hko without much prior chip needed. You will probably notice this ferro is packing knock off, knock on this set is mainly to help out Vs Mon that rely on passive recovery like lefties to continually check things, so it really helps the team with celesteela and Fini Finally leech seed is always important for recovery, gyro ball is stab, I'm sure we all know what it hits.

Spr_7s_788.png
Ipf (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

So when I was thinking about the next Pokémon I wanted on my team, I preferably wanted to continue filling out my defencive backbone while keeping up some kind of offencive pressure, Fini does a great job of this. Fini's access to taunt and nature's madness makes it an incredible paring for diancie as it can keep diancie's checks low and severely chip Mons that lack a form of reliable recovery such as AV Mag and celesteela. Additionally fini's typing allows it to check alot things that threaten ferro, as it can switch in comfortably on most fire and fighting moves, while ferro check electric types and Mons like Lele that can seriously threaten fini. You may also be wondering why I'm running max speed and not a lower benchmark, my reasoning would be that Fini still has very good bulk with just Max hp and the speed allows it to help check things like sd Lando etc. More easily as these can be huge threats to the team.

Spr_6x_645T.png
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Lando was an easy pick, we all know it's super splashable, and it has great synergy with ferro and Fini. Scarf lando not only helps me check physical attackers but is also one of the best forms of speed control in the game rn, U-turn is an easy and mindless way to gain momentum Vs some of the biggest metagame threats. Ive chosen to run explosion because it gives me an extra out for my endgames, being able to kill hawlucha and deal massive damage to fat like cm clefable, what's not to love. We all know Lando, so I'll move on.

Spr_7s_785.png

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

So Koko was a bit of a cleaner pick, I needed another reliable check to fat like pex, celesteela and clefable and magnet Koko is a beast at that. When we consider that most teams will have something like ferro or AV tang to check koko, it may seem amazing on preview but when we consider that I have knock off ferro to help me chip these down it starts to look a little up for Koko, it can gain alot of momentum for the team and be a huge late game threat with powerful thunderbolt, not only this but roost makes it a catch all check to tornadus and one that can u-turn to capitalise on our hazard stacking too! Overall I'm very happy with it for a final pick.

So that's it my first RMT!
I would like to thank IPF and Mimolette for their input when I was making this team a while back, I haven't told them I was making the RMT but I want to credit all input.
I'll post calcs later if anyone wants them, it's all pretty self explanatory tho.
Last of all feel free to leave feedback and suggestions/corrections I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:
I would change the landorus spread to this:
EVs
  • 232 Atk
  • 68 Def
  • 208 Spe

Then, I'd change fini to a fully spdef set, just to have another gren counter. 252 hp 252 spdef 4 spa
Scald; haze; defog; moonblast/nature's madness.

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I would change the landorus spread to this:
EVs
  • 232 Atk
  • 68 Def
  • 208 Spe

Then, I'd change fini to a fully spdef set, just to have another gren counter. 252 hp 252 spdef 4 spa
Scald; haze; defog; moonblast/nature's madness.
Yeah I can understand this, but Lando and Fini still play the same rolls with the EVs they have now, there isnt much point in making them Chinese, additionally the higher speed teirs on both allow the team to function far better Vs forms of bulkarona as Fini can taunt faster and Lando can now outspeed slightly faster forms of bulkarona, plenty of top teams do use the same Lando spread, for example plenty of teams mimo has passed me have scarf lando with a simple max, max and some of those teams have reached no.1 on ladder.

Also with regards to haze is a useless move on Fini when you could run fast taunt which also stops hazards and allows you to stop Mons like ferro and celes to recover with leech seed, greatly aiding diancie as one of breaking forces of the team. Additionally Fini can still beat ash gren easily without additional spedef investment, and I have a ferro as well, so it doesn't really effect ash gren matchup. Appreciate the interest tho However the team plays very offencively so I stand by my taunt Fini set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)