Monotype Lunaholic Eyes

Introduction

As ORAS winds down, I'm here with a unique team: Stall Steel. Over the past 6 months, I've been trying to make this defensive team viable in a metagame filled with wallbreakers like Mega Charizard Y, Landorus, and Hoopa-U, and it's been both a very frustrating process and a very rewarding experience. When you think of stall in Monotype, Stall Water is always what comes to mind first. When you think of Steel, you think of the standard HO Steel. I want to reveal this unique team to show the versatility of ORAS Monotype. The metagame might feel stale as we're about to transition into SuMo and many teams are simply rehashes of existing generic teams, but I love discovering the unique ideas that are always right around the corner. So, as proof of a team archetype I've not seen yet, I'd like to present Lunaholic Eyes.

Just one Glance

How to Drive Them Insane

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind​

You might recognize this familiar bird. Skarmory is once again the centerpiece of my team. Its immunity to Ground-type attacks is critical for success, and no Steel team, let alone Stall Steel, could possibly function without it. The EV spread is pretty basic, simply using 224 HP to use Leftovers to its utmost and putting the leftovers into Special Defense. Skarmory is also the only phazer of the team, able to switch into and force out setup sweepers like Bisharp. Brave Bird is the natural choice for its STAB attack, as Skarmory will deal a disgusting amount of damage to Keldeo and sometimes outright OHKO Mega Medicham, as it survives one hit with Sturdy. The third moveslot was an agonizing choice, though. While Steel teams do not care too much about Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes, this team absolutely cannot afford for errant Spikes to be poking away its HP bars. I would have loved to use my own Spikes in this moveslot, but slow and steady wins the race.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 24 Atk / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Heatran stars as the second of the necessary immunities that all Steel teams must have, able to switch into Fire-type attacks that would take out almost everyone else. It's a very reliable Stealth Rock user and its use of Lava Plume can help cripple common entry hazard removers with burns. Stone Edge and 24 Attack EVs allow Heatran to always OHKO Mega Charizard Y, one of the biggest threats to this team. Earth Power is used to be able to hit opposing Heatran, without which can be almost unbearable to defeat. Unfortunately, Heatran lacks any form of reliable recovery and has no room to run Protect to try to steal free turns of Leftovers healing. And that's where the next teammate comes in...

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Toxic

The Wish Pokemon, unsurprisingly, carries the incredibly useful Wish. Jirachi is one of the more underappreciated members of the team. Its insane special bulk and use of Wish + Protect allows it to wall countless threats including Mega Manectric, Thundurus, even Choice Specs Meloetta. Jirachi even has a very good chance of surviving both back-to-back Hydro Pumps and Secret Swords from Choice Specs Keldeo. Iron Head and Toxic makes countless players go crazy, with Iron Head preventing any hope of recovering off the slow and inevitable fate of those poisoned by Toxic. The EVs chosen are specifically used to allow Jirachi to always survive one Earth Power from Landorus, giving it the crucial chance to poison and stall it out. 20 Speed EVs creeps slow Zapdos, allowing Jirachi to prevent them from using Defog or Roost.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Although it's fourth on this list, Ferrothorn was actually my initial inspiration. I hated HO Steel and wanted to build a team around Ferrothorn. The EV spread is just standard for improving its mixed bulk. At any rate, Ferrothorn is necessary for not getting completely crushed by Water teams. Choice Specs Kingdra, in particular, is walled and kept useless as long as Ferrothorn is around. Thunder Wave slows down certain threats such as opposing Heatran, but if you're feeling a little ambitious, Toxic can be used to cripple switch-ins just as well. Leech Seed and Protect give Ferrothorn a semi-reliable form of recovery, and Protect also helps Ferrothorn scout out moves, especially against the likes of Choice Specs Keldeo and Choice Band Dragonite. Power Whip is the best attack, as it lets Ferrothorn deal significant damage to Water-types like Keldeo and Ground-types like Gliscor.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Mega Scizor is the "offensive" check to threats that the rest of the team can't handle. First, yes, it's Toxic. Mega Scizor's switch-ins include Keldeo, Hippowdon, and Garchomp, all of which are devastated by Toxic poison. This lets Mega Scizor stall out even Choice Specs Keldeo with its formidable defenses and use of Roost. Swords Dance is almost always the move one expects on Mega Scizor, but on a team like this, it just has almost no use at all. The only teams that Mega Scizor can sweep will slowly be worn down anyway, and Toxic allows Mega Scizor to cripple threats that some of its other teammates cannot safely cripple themselves. The EV spread makes sure Mega Scizor can always switch into Mega Lopunny, relieving some of the stress off of Skarmory, and the mixed bulk helps it against Keldeo. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to switch out of threats and safely bring in an appropriate wall. Bullet Punch is one of the most important moves, as it deals a decent amount of damage, picking off threats that have been weakened by Toxic.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone is the glue to this team. Most of the time I spent on this team revolved around this last teamslot. I've gone from Doublade to Choice Scarf Empoleon to Assault Vest Empoleon back to Doublade and finally to Choice Scarf Magnezone, which I believe is the most optimal choice. Magnezone is essential because of Magnet Pull. Steel teams are incredibly difficult to beat, as I don't actually have a way of beating them reliably outside of hoping I win countless 50/50s with both Heatran. Magnezone comes in, traps Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and weakened Heatran, and takes them out with either Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. This is invaluable, as Mega Scizor can outright sweep if Heatran is lost and it's the last Pokemon. Furthermore, Magnezone outspeeds almost every important threat: Mega Charizard Y, Mega Medicham, Hoopa-U, Keldeo, and Infernape. All of these can be either taken out with Thunderbolt or chipped at with Volt Switch. It took me way too long to figure out that Magnezone was what I needed to really add that last bit of reliability to the team. It also forms a surprisingly useful VoltTurn core with Mega Scizor, as Mega Scizor often baits in Skarmory and Heatran for Magnezone to trap.

This thing is just not fair. High Jump Kick 2HKOes everything. This is why I had Doublade, but Doublade just doesn't do enough. I've just got to bite the bullet, play Protect mindgames, and chip it down with Toxic, Volt Switch, and Bullet Punch.

Another beast. Why didn't this get banned? Oh well, same plan as with Mega Medicham. Pray it gets hit by Toxic and gets stalled out. Mega Scizor can U-turn on this, but who's staying in with a Hoopa-U on Mega Scizor anyway?

This coverage is unbeatable. It uses Fire Blast on anything not called Heatran and Close Combat on Heatran. There are no switch-ins. What can you do but Toxic it with Jirachi and hope?

Another beast. All I have for it is Choice Scarf Magnezone and Stone Edge Heatran. It just takes name after name after name. No reliable switch-in, but play 50/50 with Focus Blast and Fire Blast, and maybe Jirachi or Heatran can pull some magic off.

Surprisingly, not that bad. I can chip at it with many of my Pokemon, but it's going to be really rough until you land the all-important Toxic. If you can poison this, it's not a threat at all.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 24 Atk / 240 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

scpinion whose one off-handed comment in the Monotype room about the low usage of Ferrothorn in April set me on this path. Thank you for your hard work in making ORAS Monotype as good as it is now. Let's have an amazing Generation 7!

StarBlim and Temperarious who I've talked to about stall Steel for so much, bouncing ideas back and forth. By the way, Dyla when are you leaving that cesspool we call Alliance??

Lax for being perhaps the first to push me to seriously improve. A lot of people might disagree, but you're honestly a chill guy, and I hope you come back.

Arifeen for helping me both improve in Monotype and answering all my questions about Smogon and what not for the past year. You're so close to scroller, although you certainly won't need it, good luck!

6ti lol hope. here's the team. I know you have some strange copy in your teambuilder somewhere, so here's the original lol.

Waszap sma. Komaeda's garbage you uneducated baboon. Praise Nanami.

Zyo Tygastro @Zygastro @Tygastro57 @Zyoking SeoKing hope I didn't forget one! s/os to your broski

Balor nvm you're gay

WoA: Been supporting me since I was that new guy two months into Monotype. I've learned so much from watching you all, so thank you! Balto Vid Paleo 1 True Lycan Attribute Chras Hammy Entei Ridley. rnbs Sabella TheThorn Wanka iGlack Wyn Azelea Baxstenias Chakra Clearly Omega-Xis SirSkit Zarif North BlackJak Anttya Its Hatch Dirpz p2
Monotype Staff: You're all amazing. I might be a tad critical and abrasive sometimes, but somehow you guys put up with me. Acast Bondie Dream Eater Gengar czim Misaka Mikoto Dece1t ChildOfDisorder DoW

Everyone else that is chill af:
Sour Apples Sazh Katzroy (Yes I put your names together. Stop fucking arguing you're both honestly cool when I talk to you two individually)
Sakis Izaya. zugubu royale KevinELF Nick~XVZ Endal Aschmaros Catalystic jiggle terrors Thimo truedrew The Excadrill

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)